PDA

View Full Version : Repeat Visitors: Things You've Learned

dnickels
06-16-2008, 11:35 PM
For those that make regular trips to the Parks, what are some of the things you did during your first visit(s) that you don't bother with anymore?

For me the biggest thing has been learning to put the camera away or just leave it home altogether. I see so many people trying to catch every ride scene and every firework explosion with their camera but once you've realized that most of those pictures will be too dark to see anything in you're able to sort of sit back, take everything in and enjoy the experience a lot more.

Also I don't have kids, but from seeing others I think that sometimes parents should listen to their kids to determine when the time to leave is. I have literally witnessed children who look completely exhausted telling their parents they want to go back to the hotel a half hour or 45 minutes before the fireworks start where the parents keep prodding them saying "Don't you want to see the fireworks?" Of course by the time the fireworks finish and they do get back to the hotel it's an hour and a half or more later and what was a fun day for the kids has become miserable.

mouseketeer mom
06-17-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't have the see it all anxiety that I had in the beginning. I was anxious to do it all, there was nothing relaxed or vacation like about it. We're old pros now, and do things in a much more relaxed way.

CanadianWDWFan
06-17-2008, 08:09 AM
One word of advice I always give out, relax.

Don't sweat the small things and your trip will be that much more enjoyable.

Boojum
06-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Plan ahead as far as Priority Seating and Fantasmic Dinner Packages and whatnot, but don't plan the entire trip down to the nth degree. Be flexible--those precious moments are, very often, unplanned and spontaneous!

If you're planning to do laundry at your resort, bring your own detergent from home.

Make sure everybody has a pair of sunglasses.

Get to the parks early, take a nap in the middle of the day, and stay out late.

USE FASTPASSES!

Ride Kali River Rapids just before you leave the park, or you will walk around wet. If you're wearing denim shorts, this is especially unpleasant.

Don't break in new shoes that week.

Mousemates
06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I used to try to do everything (i.e. ride everything) every time come Hades( its a family site and he is a disney character) or highwater. We've learned to chill out a bit, take some time away from the parks, spend an evening wandering around downtown disney, visit the other resorts (especially when we go down for the holidays) etc. We also have slowed our pace a bit in the parks, taking time to notice and appreciate the little nuances along the way (i.e read the windows on main street, the boxes in the queues for rides like Jungle Cruise, search for hidden mickeys).

AuntDJ
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree with most here....relax. If as an adult I am tired, you can bet the kids are too.

Also, I have fallen into the "let's just stay a little longer" category~ kinida. I try to make sure the kids understand that leaving means we are leaving for more than a few minutes and what is going to be missed by leaving.

It usually doesn't matter as they want to go swimming and are willing to skip whatever else.

If there is a really long line and the fast pass is far in the future, go ahead and get it. If you decide to leave before it can be used....give it away. We ended up doing this a couple of times on our last trip, those who got the passes were very grateful!

Most off all, take it easy, but always have some sort of plan. Things that if you don't do you will feel robbed on your vacation.

DJ

DisneyCouture
06-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I used to be so nervous that we wouldn't be able to do everything that we wanted to do. I would over plan and then worry if I did the right thing. Now I just try to slow down and not get disappointed if we want to relax.

NJGIRL
06-17-2008, 09:50 AM
We have learned not relax, take our time and enjoy ourselves. We don't "run" to get fastpasses or to make the parade. The attractions will be there tomarrow or even the next time we come. I think too many people are so worried about getting on the next ride they are not enjoying what they are on at that minute.

Capt. Sparrow
06-17-2008, 09:52 AM
During the day, stay away from the parks that have EMH going on. They always tend to be more crowded.:donald:

DisneyOtaku
06-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I have learned what most people have already said--relax. I found the best way to do this is to take a break in the early afternoon to go back to the resort to nap/swim/whatever. Then you're all refreshed to head back to the park! :thumbsup:

Kathy F.
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Get to the parks early.
Don't try and do it all.
Take a rest day if doing a long trip.

TexasPrincessAurora
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I used to think you had to get to the parks 1 hour before they opened and stay until they closed...and you had to see and do everything. Now, thanks to going while pregnant and going with kids, I know it's ok to go back for rest and naps and swimming. And if you don't see it all that's ok too. I also have not worried so much about videoing things, at least not rides or attractions. It's hard enough to keep the digital camera out and ready.

jrkcr
06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
WEll, you'd think after a few trips we'd learn....

But if you have a family of 5, and everyone takes a camera the first day-you end up with 5 copies of the same picture. Hard to make a photo album that way!! And the rest of the week, no one wants to carry around their camera. :doh:

Next trip we will have assigned camera days! ;)

:photo::photo::photo::photo::photo:

MarkC
06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Agree with all the above posters. Here's something we've learned: Do you have a favorite restaurant that you always return to? That's OK, but at Disney there are so many great ones that if you keep going back to the same place, you probably will miss trying some others that you like as well or better. So try as many different restaurants as your wallet and stomach will allow. Good luck. Mark

Septbride2002
06-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I have learned the lesson about the camera - trying so hard to get the "perfect" shot and then you wonder what happened on vacation.

Now we only take pictures with characters, around the resort, some food (love food), and a few favorite things (shot of us in front of the castle). I also like having the video camera on some days so you can capture the parade on video - I would love to do Wishes on video - I would watch it everyday.

Other things we have learned is to utlilize fast pass, to slow down and realize you can't get it all done - to cut out the "extras" and concentrate on the favorites. To not do a TS everyday.

~Amanda

RBrooksC
06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I learned that just sitting in the parks can be as enjoyable an experience as is going on the rides.

The last day at MK last September, my son fell asleep and we were tired. So we found a shaded spot in Frontier Land right across from Harper's Mill. We sat there for a while and watched the paddle boat, the people, the birds, etc. I had as much fun sitting there and relaxing as I did running around and going on the rides.

I also have learned the resorts, Deluxe especially, is just as wonderful as the parks and to miss them is to miss a dimension of the World. The first thing we do when we get there is not the park but we go and visit the monorail resorts and enjoy a free monorail ride and walk around the Poly, GF, and CR before we do DTD and whatever else we have planned that day.

I also think that helps build the anticipation since you can see the castle and SM but you know you can't go there quite yet.

senderella
06-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree with everyone else. Try to take it easy, especially if you know you will be going back soon. I don't worry about "riding and seeing everything". Many times I have seen a family with a list of items and are checking them off. I feel sorry for them because they are too busy trying to get to everything that they miss most of the magic around them. I love to watch kids as they come into the Kingdom for the first time and see the castle....or when they see their favorite character in the parade...PURE MAGIC. I have been known to go back to MK and leave the kids and husband at the hotel. I just like to watch people experience Disney at its fullest.

Have fun....I'll be there in three days!!!!

SBETigg
06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Never think you know best for anyone else. That's my top tip. Jerks are everywhere and they can ruin your vacation, especially if you give in to the urge to let them know what they are doing wrong. That's going to result in trouble every time. Even if you think you're being helpful, or making a good point, or acting to preserve the general welfare of others. Just smile, keep it to yourself, and go on about your happy time.

BMan62
06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Take all reviews with a grain of salt. What one person likes may be completely different than what you like, and vice-versa.

Relax. WDW will be there on your next visit and there is a good possibility that what you might have missed on your last visit will be there when you get back.

If you know that something is going to be removed or go through a major rehab, make sure you do it before you leave, if for nothing more than sentimental value.

azcavalier
06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
For us, here's what we've learned.

Don't fly into MCO. We fly into Sanford, and while it's farther away and there's no Magical Express, it's actually cheaper for us to fly into Sanford and rent a car for ten days than it is to fly into MCO and NOT rent a car. Plus, the lines are a LOT shorter at Sanford. With the car, we can do things like hit WalMart on the way into town and pick up disposable stuff that we didn't want to pack or forgot (diapers, laundry soap, bottled water, etc). Also, we can hit the outlet malls (with the Disney Outlet) on the way back. We also use the car to go to DTD, as it's a LOT faster than waiting for a bus going either direction.

It's better to pack clothes for half the trip and do laundry in the middle than to try to pack for the entire trip (when going for a week or more). It is a little expensive using the laundry machines at the value resorts (don't know about the other ones), though. Also, if you do laundry there, do it in the middle of the day/afternoon. Don't wait for the evening...it'll be packed. So we come back to the resort after lunch, the kids swim, I do laundry and read a book, the DW takes a nap. We're all happy come dinner-time when we head back out.

Go ahead and buy the all-you-can-drink mugs from the resorts. Those things are great.

If you have little kids, bring your own collapsible umbrella stroller (or buy one at WalMart on the way in). It's cheaper to buy one of these (even if you never use it again) than it is to rent it for a few days at the parks. Plus, you don't have to carry tired kids from the park entrance to the Disney Transportation (or vice-versa). Plus, they're more comfortable for the kids to sleep in.

Don't eat lunch (counter service) at noon. Eat at 11:30 am. By noon, there will be a line so long, you'll be looking for Fast Passes! Also, if you wait longer to eat, everyone gets cranky.

That's about it, other than what everyone else said.

alilprincessmom99
06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Like most everyone else has said, we have learned to relax a little bit. I used to plan every little detail so as not to miss a single thing. Now, we just go, have fun, and take time to enjoy the little things that WDW has to offer.

The other thing is taking pictures. We now just pull out the camera for new or really funny shots instead of pulling it out for each and every moment.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Make ADRs and don't have more than half be ones that you've tried before. There are so many good restaurants to try...try something new.
Pack 2 or 3 different types of shoes. If you wear only one you're feet will hurt and you'll have blisters.
Go during the off season if you can. You'll get to enjoy more attractions and have a good chance of doing everything you want.
Relax means different things to different people. We don't have any children yet so it's just my DH and I. I'm extremely high energy and can go go go for days and never get tired. So relaxing to us means taking our time at the parks and stopping to enjoy snacks.
Pre-order the Photopass CD. Your money can be refunded if you change your mind.
If you carry a backpack - get one of those drawstring ones. They are very lightweight!

bruin1344
06-17-2008, 01:12 PM
-taking lots of pictures, been there so many times that i dont need a lot of pictures
-wait in lines for attractions that i have no interest in
-not worrying about seeing everything

elmjimmlm
06-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Dont go go go...If you rush through everything you will miss a lot and before you know it you are on your way home...

McGoofy
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
After several trips, we learned that staying on property is totally worth it. We get that much needed break in the afternoon for naps/swimming. Yes, you can do that off property as well, but it seems to add so much more time to leave and come back when you are off property. We totally love utilizing the themed Disney swimming pools. We've done it both ways and on property just seems much more convenient.

As for the camera, we haven't learned to give that up yet. Even if we do take pictures in some of the same spots, I love looking back over the trips to see how much my son has grown since the last trip or how our family has changed over the years. It's our family memories at our favorite vacation spot. The more happy memories recorded, the better! It is also neat to see the park changes over the years. There have been lots of times when I have said, "Oh cool...we have a picture of (fill-in-the-blank). That's not there anymore!" We don't mind carrying the camera, but we do video tape less frequently.

dmosher
06-17-2008, 04:20 PM
1) Relax and take it easy (sure you can rush for a show or reservations, but otherwise, take your time).
2) Take the photos and video of the things you like (I know a lot of people are saying to Just Enjoy the World, but if your not there very often, it's a great way of reliving the magic, just don't miss the vacation doing it).
3)EXPORE outside! (take a day or 2, go resort hopping/shopping, check out the next place you want to stay, you may even want to see more of Orlando, it has some beautiful spots, either way, just look around).
4) EXPLORE the World! (when in WDW, look for the unexpected, the details, open your eyes and look at all of the little things, it's amazing what you miss when your rushing pass the "little things").
5)ADR's (need I say more?)
6)Plan (you don't have to be as obsessed as DW and I often are, but a great pre-plan: i.e. what days are you visiting where, where will you eat on those days, what shows, etc- is a great way to keep the magic going months before you even leave, and it does keep you on track during the trip).
7) Some people are just jerks (yes sadly it's true some people break the rules in WDW and unfortunately you just have to deal with it, don't let it get to you too much, just brush it off and remember that karma's a tough one to beat).
8) Avoid the parks on the day they have EMH (morning or night, it just gets TOO busy even during the off-peak seasons).
9) Pack for each day in the parks (by this I mean pack in your room; DW and I always bring a freezer bag, a change of socks/undies, sweater or light jacket (season depending) parka or water proofer of some sort, bottle of water for each of us, snack bars or fruit, camera, our Passporter and our room keys.
10) Change rooms (if you get to your room on the day you checkin and it is not to your liking... as to change, unless the resort is full after all... it is your VACATION and how can you relax after paying all the $$$ for a room you don't really like; your room is your sanctuary after a long day in the parks, make sure it feels like it).
11) Hand your camera to the Photo-pass people (believe it or not they will often use your camera as well as theirs, just ask, what harm can it do; most don't mind at all and then your shots will match the others in your album as well).
Hope that helps, well add more if I remember anything.
:pipes:
D

EvilQueen2006
06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
My girlfriend and I will choose a code word ahead of time. Something that will make us laugh. Then if either of us notice the other start to get irritated with . . .fill in the blank (crowds, heat, line cutters, getting run down by strollers, etc) we use the code word to remind each other that "hey, we are in Disney, its all good!" Our code word last trip was "puckerface." Don't even ask! :secret:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Pace yourself a little, and if time permits take a day "off" in the middle of your visit to enjoy your resort and relax!:vacation:

Young@Heart
06-18-2008, 12:57 AM
It might not work for everyone, but we learned to go with a "game plan". We stick to a general order of attractions for the day, so that we can maximize what we can fit in, and still have time to relax. We also make sure to use FP's to our advantage, or skip them when we don't need them. :mickey:

cinderellagrl
06-18-2008, 01:28 AM
take time to DISCOVER THE MAGIC, thats why your there! Disney is not just some theme park, do not treat it that way. Enjoy the sites, smells, all the little details... imagineers did not just put them there for you to walk on by....TAKE TIME TO FEEL THE MAGIC...if you are rush rush rush, you may not notice what is happening, you may remember what you did, but not what was happening!

I have learned Disney is a magical place.... not the rides, not the shows, but the memories you make

fysh
06-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Terrific advice in this thread.

Coach48
06-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Bring the most comfortable shoes you own regardless of what they look like.That is the best pice of Disney advice I could ever offer.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
take time to DISCOVER THE MAGIC, thats why your there! Disney is not just some theme park, do not treat it that way. Enjoy the sites, smells, all the little details... imagineers did not just put them there for you to walk on by....TAKE TIME TO FEEL THE MAGIC...if you are rush rush rush, you may not notice what is happening, you may remember what you did, but not what was happening!

I have learned Disney is a magical place.... not the rides, not the shows, but the memories you make
Well said, cinderellagrl.

AdventurerKim
06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Definitely relax and just enjoy being there, and don't let little aggravations ruin a trip, like rude people, high-flying strollers, etc. We always go back to the hotel after lunch to relax and rest up for our evening activities. In Nov. on our next trip, my DM and I are doing Keys to the Kingdom tour, something we've never done, so we try something new each trip, a new restaurant or something.

Marilyn Michetti
06-18-2008, 10:12 AM
I totally agree with the posts that say..."leave the video cam at home with the tripod". Take a small digital camera, and just snap a few memories.

Take your time, relax........This is a vacation, not a marathon. :thumbsup:

Nut4DW
06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else has said this, but one of the things I've done on the last two trips that I will keep doing is taking a journal and writing down what we did each day. Now, granted, I'm getting on up there in years (40ish), but it is really nice to look back at that journal and relive the experience.
Another thing I've did for our last trip is to look at the things we had missed on previous trips and make sure we tried to do those. We had never seen the Flights of Wonder Show and I made sure we got to it last time and we loved it.
One more thing - I made a list of our ADRs with times, places, and res numbers and printed it on cardstock and kept it in my fanny pack so I could refer to it and know when we needed to be where. That helped a lot as sometimes we would be ready to change parks and I could look and see where we needed to be around dinnertime.
Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip!

4ubie1
06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
My advice is a repeat of what others have said..relax and slow down. The last trip I went on with a friend's family..they had been there soo many times that they just cruised right through the parks. I would stop to take a pic or look at something and they would be like 1/2 a mile ahead of me. It was ridiculous and not fun at all. The one day that I went on my own and went at my own pace(much slower), I had a blast and it was one of the best days ever at WDW. So long story longer..relax!:blush:

Also there is nothing wrong with planning ahead..especially for food and shows. Plus, it can be alot of fun sitting around looking over WDW stuff and planning what you would like to see. Just don't be too dedicated to the plan...be flexible and if something doesn't work, dont stress out. There is always something better right around the corner at WDW.:D

And my last odd piece of advice...avoid the parades. I know parades are fun and I do like a good parade. But in WDW, it is like a battleground trying to get a spot to watch! I have heard and seen people nearly come to blows over a spot. So I say don't even bother..plus while most people are stressing out about a spot, you can be busy riding/enjoying the attractions since there is no line..since everyone is trying to catch the parade.:D

Belle619
06-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Bring the most comfortable shoes you own regardless of what they look like.That is the best pice of Disney advice I could ever offer.

:exactly: I always say that if your in Disney, it doesn't matter what you look like! Honestly, on a hot, sticky day after riding Splash and spilling a little ice cream down your shirt - you look like a wreck anyway, so might as well be comfortable!

katzctkpt
06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Agree with all the above posters. Here's something we've learned: Do you have a favorite restaurant that you always return to? That's OK, but at Disney there are so many great ones that if you keep going back to the same place, you probably will miss trying some others that you like as well or better. So try as many different restaurants as your wallet and stomach will allow. Good luck. Mark

Most definately agree try different restaurants you never know what hidden gem you may learn that you like. Rest because you'll never get everything accomplished in one day.

Disney Doll
06-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Here are a couple of things my family learned the hard way.
1. Schedule a rest day. Use this day to sleep in, swim at the resort, visit downtown Disney, and maybe have a nice dinner. Having a lounge day makes all the difference.
2. Do not follow the mob exiting Magic Kingdom after Wishes. The bus lines will be long. Instead linger in the park, browse the shops, and leisurely make your way to the bus stop. Hopefully the crowds will have died down by the time you get there.
3. Pack light. Nothing is worse than hauling tons of stuff throughout the parks. Chances are you won't need half the stuff you bring and you will get tired carrying it around.
4. Try to remember that there's always next time. Sure make the most of your time, but understand that you will never squeeze in everything. As long as you hit everyone's favorites you can call it good.

Imagineer1981
06-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I find that now I can relax more. If I want to spend a day going mini golf at Winter/Summerland or hanging out the hotel, or just walking Boardwalk or whatever, its ok because I don't have to 4 PARKS 4 DAYS...OMG!!!!!!

Dopey's Girl
06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
What have I learned...

The kitchen sink is an ice cream treat, not the only thing you don't need to carry to the park with you. I used to carry a bag stuffed with items I never, ever needed. Now I have a tiny bag for my camera, park pass, money, and medicines. Nothing else...if it doesn't fit in the 6' X 6' bag, it doesn't come with to the parks!
I have cute shoes, I have fun shoes, and I have Disney shoes. They are comfy and I don't care how ragged they look!
I won't wear that Pooh Bear t shirt at home, no matter how much I love it here. I think they pipe in some chemical to make us all shop...I love to look, but a wearable item needs to be really special to make it home with me.
Enjoy the time spent with those you love. In the hustle and bustle of getting to this ride, then to this adr, then back to that show, sometimes we all forget that as much as the vacation is about the place, it's also about the time with the people we are there with...take the time to have fun together.

Goes4FastPass
06-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Plan ahead as far as Priority Seating and Fantasmic Dinner Packages and whatnot, but don't plan the entire trip down to the nth degree. Be flexible--those precious moments are, very often, unplanned and spontaneous!

If you're planning to do laundry at your resort, bring your own detergent from home.

Make sure everybody has a pair of sunglasses.

Get to the parks early, take a nap in the middle of the day, and stay out late.

USE FASTPASSES!

Ride Kali River Rapids just before you leave the park, or you will walk around wet. If you're wearing denim shorts, this is especially unpleasant.

Don't break in new shoes that week.

I have never heard so many true perfect advice items in one reply in my entire life. WIll you marry me? Wait a minute, I'm already married. Can I adopt you?

gwfx1031
06-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Plan things out a bit. We make a loose shedule of the things we want to see and do and ADR's and line that up with shows and EMH's. We also build relax time in there as well. We try and see all that we can do not sweat having to miss a few things.

MushuGrl
06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm agreeing with relax, go slow.

Here's some I've learned:

1) Get to the park early, do the more popular rides first...THEN have a light breakfast. :)

2) Standing in line at Disney is still better than not standing in line at home.

3) Sit up front during Philharmagic. It's more magical.

4) You must do Philharmagic 120 times.

5) No matter HOW many times you've ridden Haunted Mansion and POTC, you will still find something new if you look hard enough.

6) Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger's Spin SHOULD be an Olympic Sport.

7) Dole Whips contain pixie dust.

8) You must do Philharmagic ANOTHER 120 times.

9) Wishes doesn't get old. At all.

10) I want to be a Princess AND a Pirate. Does my eyepatch match my tiara?

11) Don't care how many times you go, you can still get easily lost at Animal Kingdom.

12) The line at Peter Pan is long anytime of the day. Early, late, extra magic hours or no. Off season, peak season, it's just LONG!

13) Cast members rawk hard.

14) I always reserve my pin buying for the end of the trip so I can buy a pin to commemorate something special that happened. Or should I say the most specialist since it's ALL special. (I'm not a roller coaster rider, but I rode EE twice last trip and I THINK the Yeti loved me so..I bought an EE pin). (WHAT?! He waved every time I went by!)

15) I've run out of stuff. But...just to be on the safe side, do Philharmagic one more time. In case you missed something.

16) I remembered the most crucial thing...BRING. EXTRA. SOCKS.

mom2morgan
06-19-2008, 05:14 PM
This will only be my second visit, but what's nice is that now I have a better idea of what we REALLY want to do. Last time I felt like we had to try EVERY ride, or we might miss something fabulous. Now I know there are plenty I can skip, and maybe free up time for more of our favourites :D And yeah...I'm going to try to remember that not ONE person who posted here said "I wish we'd spent less time relaxing so we could pack more touring in!!"

Red Randal
06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm actually the opposite about pictures. I've been there enough that I take great joy in spending a day just walking around taking pictures or taking pictures of EVERYTHING on a ride I've been on 20 times before.

I also have learned enough from going (and reading here and in different books) to see a wait time for an attraction and know enough to skip it or come back later (or, conversely, to see an exorbitant time and know it's messed up and get in line anyway.)

I also know that "take the bus to Downtown Disney and transfer to X bus" is not a practical way to get anywhere.

Boojum
06-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I have never heard so many true perfect advice items in one reply in my entire life. WIll you marry me? Wait a minute, I'm already married. Can I adopt you?

GAWRSH! I'm blushing!

Already married here too, and already have a mom, but....can I consider you honorary Intercot family??

BMan62
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
One more thing -- do not worry about 'golfers tan' or varicose veins or even 'dunlap disease' -- you're probably never going to see any of these people again (unless you're part of a group!!) and nobody really cares about your imperfections - everybody's perfect at Disney!!!!

Goes4FastPass
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
GAWRSH! I'm blushing!...and you even speak fluent Goofy!

My visit WDW advice is, eat bad scrambled eggs every day for 2 weeks before visiting WDW so you won't be tempted to use DDP credits to buy them while you're on vacation. That way, you can enjoy cool uncrowded mornings at the parks while most resort guests are having breakfast.

Goes4FastPass
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
One more thing -- do not worry about 'golfers tan' or varicose veins or even 'dunlap disease' -- you're probably never going to see any of these people again (unless you're part of a group!!) and nobody really cares about your imperfections - everybody's perfect at Disney!!!!

It's funny. When you see people visiting WDW on TV - especially Disney's own promos - they are young and slim and attractive. The reality of Main Street USA is you're going to encounter a sea of really extremely average looking people... and even a CEO can look like bum in shorts, sneaks, a Mickey T and a ball cap. Yikes!

stephntampa
06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
my 4yo Ds and I averaged 2 visits a month with our annual pass, and we never tired of it. We always did the same rides every trip, my kid wouldn't have it any other way! Sadly, our AP's expired yesterday, so I don't know when we'll visit again.:(

stephntampa
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
sorry, please ignore previous post.. wrong thread :blush:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-20-2008, 11:06 AM
2) Standing in line at Disney is still better than not standing in line at home.

You totally get it!!! :high5:

Simba'sBud
06-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm agreeing with relax, go slow.

1) Get to the park early, do the more popular rides first...THEN have a light breakfast. :)

3) Sit up front during Philharmagic. It's more magical.

4) You must do Philharmagic 120 times.

5) No matter HOW many times you've ridden Haunted Mansion and POTC, you will still find something new if you look hard enough.

6) Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger's Spin SHOULD be an Olympic Sport.

8) You must do Philharmagic ANOTHER 120 times.

11) Don't care how many times you go, you can still get easily lost at Animal Kingdom.

12) The line at Peter Pan is long anytime of the day. Early, late, extra magic hours or no. Off season, peak season, it's just LONG!

13) Cast members rawk hard.

14) I always reserve my pin buying for the end of the trip so I can buy a pin to commemorate something special that happened. Or should I say the most specialist since it's ALL special. (I'm not a roller coaster rider, but I rode EE twice last trip and I THINK the Yeti loved me so..I bought an EE pin). (WHAT?! He waved every time I went by!)

15) I've run out of stuff. But...just to be on the safe side, do Philharmagic one more time. In case you missed something.

16) I remembered the most crucial thing...BRING. EXTRA. SOCKS.

You have absolutely no idea how well you would get along with my DW and I. Philharmagic is :number1:
Thanks for helping us feel a little more 'normal'!

MushuGrl
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm totally saving you a seat by me!

gwfx1031
06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Ship a box of snacks via FedEx Ground a few days ahead to your hotel and use that throughout the week at the parks instead of buying everyting. Pack some pastic containers to re-use and re-fill each day with chips, crackers, candy, munchies, etc. This leave extra money for getting those meals and snacks that are "must haves" like the chocloate chip cookie ice cream sandwich on Main Street.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
So many people told me that "relax in Disney" is a contradiction. I refused to listen and I'm so glad I did. Our WDW vacations have been so relaxing and refreshing.

I might actually ramp things up a little. For example, we have pics but no video from our trips. I think that on future trips we're going to schedule a "makin' memories" day and spend time purposefully taking pictures, video and collecting mementos. In between, whatever happens, happens and we'll do our usual thing and caputre whatever, whenever.

Also, I think that we might try more parks and park hoppping .

dmosher
06-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Get the DVD before you go to WDW! Yes I know it isn't technically "in the parks", but trust me, it is cool to get you geared up for the trip and it is an awesome "keepsake" of sorts for the years you went and as a "tide you over" on the years you can't.

I use to get one every year. It was always cool to get them with your name on the box, etc. Sadly IDW and I moved overseas now and they won't ship those, or the Personalized maps to New Zealand (Very SAD), but most of you can get them and would be a very cool thing to have and/or bring with you.
:pipes:
D
PS: If anyone wants to order them and send me a personalized map that would be awesome! The ones you print out yourself are not very good. ;-)

dumbo ears
06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Ive learned wat are my favorite attractions and when are the best time to do them. Also ive learned to stay on property and do extra magic hours.

vividms
06-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I have learned that when having to decide which to fastpass--TOT or RNRC--go with fastpassing RNRC. I would much rather wait in the TOT line where you can sit along the rock wall and you are not squeezed in a narrow line. I have vowed to never get in RNRC standby line. :crowd: