PDA

View Full Version : NYC People....

Nini
06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
A question about the subway....

My husband was given a gift of a trip to NYC for 2 nights; airfare, hotel in midtown, and tickets to 2 Yankee games. I've found a site that details how to get to the stadium by subway, but my question is: is it safe? I figure we'll be leaving for the game around 4:30 both days and I'm sure we'd be fine, but what about at night getting back to the hotel? And, would you say we should act like we know what we're doing, cause I'm not so sure the two of us could pull that off :blush:.

Would it be better for us to take a cab, and if so, any idea how much that would cost?

Also, when we get back to midtown after the game is it safe to walk around? I see the Carnegie Deli is open 'til 4 am and we were thinking of checking it out, among other things.

I'd appreciate any advice you all can give!

Denise :mickey:

BronxTigger
06-16-2008, 08:18 PM
You'll be fine.

When are you coming? I work a few blocks from the Stadium. PM me if you want.

I don't know what site you were using, but make sure if it's rush hour (4:30 qualifies), you can't take the D from midtown to the Stadium...it won't stop at 161. You can take the D (orange line express) from midtown (west side) up to 145 and change to the B (orange line local) and get off at 161/River Ave - Yankee Stadium. Or, if you're on the east side, catch the 4 (green line express) train and get off at 161/River Ave - Yankee Stadium. The 4 is the above ground one you see when they have Yankee Stadium on tv...the B/D are underground.

And yes, you can try to know what you are doing. It should be safe on your way there, and there will be a lot of people on the way out also. The trains are still well-populated until 10 or 11 at least. The trains are pretty long (10 cars for most numbered trains, 8 (bigger) cars for most lettered trains). If it's really crowded, try to get in one of the cars towards the end; if it's less crowded, chances are you will be safer towards the middle where more people are.

A cab from midtown to the Stadium could get quite expensive...I'd estimate around $30, especially if you get stuck in traffic. Not sure how easily you can find a yellow cab after the game.

DisneyWizard
06-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Definitely take those directions! Coming back at night shouldn't be too bad just because there will be plenty of others who will be doing the exact same thing. It's not like you will be walking onto an empty scary subway platform at night.

Cab would be pricey - plus you'll enjoy riding the train with everyone else who is wearing all things Yankees.

J9
06-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I've taken the subway before, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. If you do wind up getting confused and half to take a cab (I've had to do that), it won't be so bad because cabs in NYC are fairly cheap and easy to come by!

jillluvsdisney
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
The Carnegie Deli is very expensive but the sanwiches are huge. You'll easily be able to split one.

As for the subway, I've been to NYC 3x in the past few years and always found New Yorkers that were helpful getting me on the right train. The streo type is they are all rude so that was a very nice surpirse.

MsMin
06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
The Carnegie Deli is very expensive but the sanwiches are huge. You'll easily be able to split one.

As for the subway, I've been to NYC 3x in the past few years and always found New Yorkers that were helpful getting me on the right train. The streo type is they are all rude so that was a very nice surpirse.

ditto. I suppose we looked lost too and people stopped during the morning rush to help us locate the right train. We purchased a week pass w/ unlimited rides. Taxi's can be $$ and time consuming if you are running all over town. Have a great time.

Nini
06-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Thank you for all responses! Anyone else, please chime in!!

BronxTigger -
Thank you so much for the directions! I'm going to write them down to take with us. We're going at the end of July and I'm getting really excited!! My husband is a huge Yankee fan, and I'm definitely a fan too - you know, Derek Jeter and all :blush:.

Thanks too for explaining the trains. I feel much more comfortable having an idea of what to do. I just might PM you if I have any more questions :notworth: !

DisneyWizard -
You're right, it does sound like it will be quite an experience riding with all the others who will be going/coming from the game too :team: ! I don't know why I wasn't thinking that there would actually be other people doing the same thing :doh:!

J9 -
Yeah, it's good to know the cabs are there as a back-up just in case :whew:.

jillluvsdisney -
Thanks for the info - I'd heard the sandwiches were big, but I guess we'll definitely plan on splitting one! Also, I'm dying to try their cheesecake!! I guess it's supposed to be the best :tasty:!

MsMin -
We're only going to be there for 2 1/2 days, but I did find info on the MetroCard. No tokens anymore! (That's what I had always seen on TV :shrug:) At least we'll have an idea of what we are doing.

It's good to hear that the people are friendly, and thanks again to you all. I'm sure we're going to have a lot of fun!!!

meldan98
06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm so jealous!!!

My dh had to work in NYC for 3 months and I went to visit for a few days. I traveled by myself during the day all over the city only using subways and I actually felt safer in NYC than I did in my own downtown area. There were a couple of occasions when we were out really late to take in a show or shopping and we never really had any issues.

My dh did a couple of Yankee games and was staying in a hotel in Jersey City and would travel back and forth using the subway and he loved the vibe on the trains before and after the games.

pink
06-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Jillluvsdisney- Your post made me laugh, New Yorkers have a stereo-type of being rude people but a good majority of them will help anyone in need.

Nini- I don't have any Subway directions for you but like everyone else said going to the games you will have no safety issues. However, be prepared for packed cars and you may have to stand the whole time. Coming home just act natural and if you have a bag put in the front of you so no one has a chance to take anything. Also, if you have the oppurtunity don't wait around on the platform because that's where I hear most things happen (your below ground at night in the dark) just wait outside with other people. Like I said above, New Yorkers are nicer than they get credit for so don't worry and have a great time. Say hi to Derek for me! ;)

:mickey:

BronxTigger
06-18-2008, 09:14 PM
What days are you coming? Is it on a weekend?

One thing I forgot to mention was that they frequently, no, ALWAYS, change some subway lines on the weekends for construction. If you let us know if it's on a weekend I can PM you with specifics.

Also, I want to clarify what I said earlier. The 4 is above ground in the Bronx, but below ground in Manhattan. It actually rises up right near the Stadium. The D runs express in Manhattan and in the Bronx at rush hour in the peak direction only. Otherwise, it's local in the Bronx (but still express in Manhattan) and the B doesn't go north of 145th Street.

So yeah...let us know if you are going weekdays or weekends.

Nini
06-20-2008, 04:15 PM
So yeah...let us know if you are going weekdays or weekends.

The games we are going to are on Tues. July 29th and Wed. the 30th. (I'm writing down all your instructions!) We actually just realized last night that the game on the 30th is a day game! I'm happy about that because it'll give us the evening for Time Square!!

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and sharing your experiences.

BronxTigger
06-20-2008, 06:32 PM
That will be fun! I wish I was going!

Since it's weekdays, mostly at rush hour, there shouldn't be any major track changes. I think you'll do fine with the train!

Let us know about your trip after it's over. :D

sisterdisco
06-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Nini,
We live about 15 miles from you! I understand your question (LOL).
The only public transportation I had ever taken in 38 years, was DISNEY BUSSES!!

There are a million cops all over directing traffic etc. We usually stay in Tarrytown and take the train in, but last year, took the subway into Manhattan after a game. We had Grandma and Grandpa w/ us who have never been out of Bville--and just screamed TOURIST. We did just fine.

Just know where you are going and use common sense safety. GO YANKEES!!!

Nini
06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
That will be fun! I wish I was going!

I would think you'd be sick of Yankee games! Or is it that type of thing where you never go to what's right up the road - kind of an "oh, we can do that any old time" thing?

I'll definitely let you know how we do!

Nini
06-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Nini,
We live about 15 miles from you! I understand your question (LOL).
The only public transportation I had ever taken in 38 years, was DISNEY BUSSES!!

There are a million cops all over directing traffic etc. We usually stay in Tarrytown and take the train in, but last year, took the subway into Manhattan after a game. We had Grandma and Grandpa w/ us who have never been out of Bville--and just screamed TOURIST. We did just fine.

Just know where you are going and use common sense safety. GO YANKEES!!!

Hehehe!!
Isn't it funny, we're so close but yet SO far!! Feels like we're going to be visiting a different country! If your Grandparents made it then I'm sure we can too! (B'ville, huh? I actually went to high school in Phoenix - it IS a small world after all!!)

BronxTigger
06-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I would think you'd be sick of Yankee games! Or is it that type of thing where you never go to what's right up the road - kind of an "oh, we can do that any old time" thing?

I'll definitely let you know how we do!

Yeah, I rarely go to the games. They are expensive and I basically can go any time.

I have been watching them build the new stadium, since I ride past it daily. It's pretty cool, but I have almost no photos of it.

Marilyn Michetti
06-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Bronx Tigger.....I'm in AWE! I don't know that much about ANYTHING ! I have a reason to visit New York now.:jaw:

Hammer
06-22-2008, 12:40 AM
I just asked my sister (who lives in Weehawken and works in lower Manhattan) and she says they have 1 day all day ride passes for the NYC subway at a cost of $7.50. Go to mta.info for more information.

BronxTigger
06-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Bronx Tigger.....I'm in AWE! I don't know that much about ANYTHING ! I have a reason to visit New York now.:jaw:

Awww...but what are you in awe of? And you SHOULD come visit!

I just asked my sister (who lives in Weehawken and works in lower Manhattan) and she says they have 1 day all day ride passes for the NYC subway at a cost of $7.50. Go to mta.info for more information.

This is true. They are "unlimited use". The only stipulation is you can't use it twice at the same station within a 20 minute period...to prevent people from passing them off to everyone in the family. If you are going to enter the train or bus more than 4 times in a day, this One Day Fun Pass will save you money.

All the train stations have vending machines. They take debit/credit (all machines) and cash (big machines only).

BronxTigger
06-22-2008, 09:57 AM
P.S. This thread is raising my post count quite rapidly! :thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
06-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Well, it should! Anybody that can quote an entire underground railway schedule from memory deserves another #.:thumbsup:

BronxTigger
06-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, it should! Anybody that can quote an entire underground railway schedule from memory deserves another #.:thumbsup:

Awww, you're so nice!

Nini
06-22-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks for that! I've been to the mta site several times - I saw that there was a pass available for a week, but hadn't noticed the 1 day passes :crazy: !

Nini
06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
All the train stations have vending machines. They take debit/credit (all machines) and cash (big machines only).

Ahhhhh, ok! I wondered how you got the passes! Excellant!!!

Again....:notworth:...thank you!!

Nini
06-22-2008, 05:39 PM

:high5:

Hehehe

garymacd
06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
We have been to NYC several times in the past few years and have never felt unsafe. It amazes us everytime. On our first trip, we were a little concerned, but for the most part people ignored us. As soon as we engaged them with questions, they were so friendly and helpful.

We have found ourselves walking around midtown Manhattan at 2 AM with no difficulties. We walked from the PATH and Penn Stations all the way to Central Park and nearly from one side of the island to the other and were never accosted or troubled.

While in NYC, check out PJ Clarks on 55th St. Chef Nick is absolutely incredible and friendly. It's amazing what he can do with a hamburger.

BTW BronxTiger, I love the vending machines for tickets at the PATH station. They gave us change in coins! I thought at first I was getting some Canadian Loonies ($1 coins. OK for me, I can use them when I get home) for change, but they were US $1 coins. I didn't even know they were in circulation anymore!

dumbo_buddy
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
i should have looked over here earlier!

agree with all of bronxtigger's info.

yes, the subway is safe. the best advice i can give is to just go with the flow and just don't look scared and like a tourist!

even if there are track changes, there will be so many people going to the game via subway you can just follow the crowd.

have fun! (i'm a mets fan so i'm not too jealous ;) )

dumbo_buddy
06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=garymacd;1666209]

While in NYC, check out PJ Clarks on 55th St. Chef Nick is absolutely incredible and friendly. It's amazing what he can do with a hamburger.
QUOTE]

LOL! my aunt's cousin owns that place. i work 4 blocks from there.

kakn7294
06-25-2008, 03:58 PM
I find this thread kinda funny because I keep joking with DH that I just know I'm going to end up the subject of an episode of CSI: NY. It's actually one of my favorite shows. I've never been to NYC so until I did some research, I was leary of going as well - not so much from a safety standpoint (although that did cross my mind as I live in a very rural area) but more from the standpoint of I don't like not knowing where I'm going and how to get there. Now I'm really looking forward to the trip - and hopefully seeing you again Bethany!!!

BTW, I was at our local bookstore the other day and came across a book called: "Knopf Mapguides New York". It's a small book with fold-out maps of 8various areas of the city, a subway map, a bus map, and little blurbs about some of the tourist attractions, restaurants, stores, and hotels. There's also some info about the buses, subways, trains, taxis, parking, and ferries as well as general tourist info. It seems like a helpful little book for a newbie at a list price of only $10 and it's small enough to fit nicely into even a smaller-sized bag.

garymacd
06-28-2008, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=garymacd;1666209]

QUOTE]

LOL! my aunt's cousin owns that place. i work 4 blocks from there.

WOW! Small world, isn't it? And isn't it a great place to eat? Maybe we will see you there next time we visit.

Nini
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
We're back!

I gotta say, we had a great time!!! We didn't get to do much besides the 2 Yankee games, but it was so awesome to be in Yankee Stadium that it didn't matter. Tuesday's game ended up being great - the Yankees lost, but it was so excting at the end as they almost came back and took it. Even saw a guy fall out of the stands (reaching for a ball) into that net thing behind home plate. Poor guy looked scared to death!

We ended up taking cabs to both games, but took the train back into Manhattan. It was a piece of cake (thanks to BronxTigger) and we never once felt unsafe.

Walked through Times Square Wed. night. Saw Conan O'Brien - he passed right directly in front of us. If I hadn't stopped him, my husband said he'd have walked right into him! One word describes him: gaunt. I knew he was tall and thin, but man he looked kinda sickly! Hope he's ok. Also saw Adam Duritz walking down Madison Avenue. We were in a cab on our way to one of the games, otherwise I'd have asked for an autograph. Counting Crows is one of my top 3 favorite bands!! And I'm positive it was him cause he was walking with a cane, and when I got home I checked boards and sure enough he'd hurt his foot somehow and has been using a cane.

Anyway....thanks to everyone for your help! We can't wait to go back!!!!! Besides, we'll HAVE to go see the new stadium!!

crazypoohbear
08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Glad you had a great time and were able to get around without any problems!
Oh, and I'm glad the Yankees lost :)
Go Red Sox :D

BronxTigger
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Glad to hear you had a good time here. Glad you found the train easy!