PDA

View Full Version : Rose & Crown or Biergarten???

5fromabove
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
We have ressies for Tuttu Italia in Aug for free dining (we tried it and loved it last year). DH was suggesting that we try something new instead on this trip. The only options right now, based on availability are Rose & Crown or Biergarten. Both would be earlier than our liking...but we'll deal. Which would you recommend for a family with 4 kids going (ages12,8,6 & 4). We're not very adventurous eaters. Thanks for any help, I need to grab something while it's still available.

DDuck66
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I think that Rose and Crown might fit your situation a little better. We just tried Biergarten last trip and it was very good, but the food was a "little" different. It was very good, just not what we were used to. We really like the fish n chips from R&C and have always enjoyed it.
One other thing to keep in mind, is that the Biergarten has family style seating and entertainment (Oompa Band). You might end up eating with another small group. I think that most of the tables seated 8 people.

bruin1344
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
rose & crown is one of my favorite restaurants, i highly recommend it, biergarten is a good choice alternative

SBETigg
06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I think the kids would prefer Biergarten, not for the food (which is decent, but heavy) but for the atmosphere and the band/dancing. It's like a little nighttime Bavarian village inside, really sweet. Our kids aren't little, but we enjoyed watching all the little ones get out on the dance floor when the band was playing. If you have kids, it offers a great chance for them to blow off some steam and run around.

My personal preference is for Rose & Crown, because I love the food and English pub atmosphere, but then I'm an adult with older kids. It's not a bad place for kids, it's just probably a tad boring next to Biergarten.

pox24
06-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Rose and Crown:thumbsup:

Rhetoric2000
06-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Put it down to self-deprecating Britishness but I'll have to go with Germany on this one.

I would recommend Biergarten to a family group any day of the week. The food last time we were there (8 months ago) was excellent, different without being "Different" for those who don't like "Different" - good salads for those who like salads, good meat for those who like meat. I really couldn't identify a weakness unless you had a major "thing" about sitting with another group (although it sounds like you're a big enough group for that not to matter anyway). It also has far and away the better atmosphere.

We also ate at Rose and Crown and it was fine. About as authentic as a 1920s digital watch (The lunchtime menu is slightly more genuine) but fine. I struggle to have much of an opinion about it to be honest.

xipetotec
06-17-2008, 09:33 AM
We have ressies for Tuttu Italia in Aug for free dining (we tried it and loved it last year). DH was suggesting that we try something new instead on this trip. The only options right now, based on availability are Rose & Crown or Biergarten. Both would be earlier than our liking...but we'll deal. Which would you recommend for a family with 4 kids going (ages12,8,6 & 4). We're not very adventurous eaters. Thanks for any help, I need to grab something while it's still available.

That's a tough one. I guess the food at Rose & Crown is less "adventurous" ( if you consider sausages and schnitzel at Biergarten "adventurous" ). BUT since you've got 4 kids in the gang, seems a shame to waste an opportunity at the great entertainment at Biergarten! There's a dance floor in front of the band, and I've seen very few kids able to resist going down there during the show and dance up a storm :)

avantgardeinker
06-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I would go with Rose and Crown, but I'm not into Bratwurst and stuff. I love R&C! The Fish and Chips are really good and all the desserts are as well. DD (2) really liked her Mac and Cheese off the kids menu. ;)

:mickey:

Disnamic Duo
06-17-2008, 12:07 PM
We love both places - our favorite 2 TS restaurants in WS. I think Biergarten is the better choice for you and your family. the food is NOT way out there. How out there can hot dogs, meat balls and sausages be? But, it is very good, and the atmosphere is REALLY FUN!

R&C is good, but I think just not as good. The food is, hmmmm....blander. If you want something quiter, this is a better choice though.

kathiep
06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
We love Biergarten - it's a must do on every trip. It's one of our kids favorites. The food isn't really all that adventurous but it's the atmosphere that puts this place over the top.

Coach48
06-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Biergarten is our favorite restaurant at Epcot.The kids 7 and 5,love dancing to the band and they eat everything at the buffet.The beer is great the atmosphere is noisy and fun,the perfect Disney dining experience imo.

Georgesgirl1
06-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I would say Biergarten. The first time I remember going my brother, cousins and I were about the age of your kids and we had a blast with the entertainment and loved the food. But then again we were all used to German food since our moms grew up in Germany (Army brats).

Kristin

mom2morgan
06-18-2008, 07:39 PM
My reason for choosing Rose and Crown was for a place to watch Illuminations from - but it sounds like the timing won't work for you?

GrmGrninGost
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
We had a great meal last year at the Rose & Crown! It was very impressive and I highly recommend it! :mickey:

RocknBev
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I never pass up the Fish and Chips at the Rose and Crown but there is no entertainment either for the little ones! Tough call...good luck!

5fromabove
06-19-2008, 10:11 AM
We have reservations for dinner at Biergarten, because I think the kids will enjoy the atmosphere. I'm not into sausages, etc...but the CM told me I can eat off the kids buffet if I want to :blush: LOL. Our oldest DD-16 isn't going with us due to High School sports committments...and I don't think she'd be into the Biergarten atmosphere...so this seems like a great opportunity to try it without her. HOWEVER, I want to do the Rose & Crown fish & chips too. SO, we are going to head to the UK for lunch and get a CS Fish & Chips for lunch (at that little window they have for take-out that I've heard about)! Perfect...we get to try both this way!! ;) THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

mdricks
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Great choice. the kids will really like the Biergarten. And the food is not all that challenging.

Hoy! Hoy! Hoy! :beer: