PDA

View Full Version : DME - late flight question

Mary Chase
06-15-2008, 03:18 PM
We have a late flight into Orlando - getting in at 10:44 pm. We obviously will want our luggage immediately upon being dropped off at the hotel. From my understanding, with DME, you dont' claim your baggage and your bags are delivered after your arrival at the hotel (possibly several hours later). How is this handled in a situation with a flight that late? I assume you don't HAVE to go without your luggage - that you can claim it if you want to? I have never used DME before, so I just don't know.

Thanks!

BronxTigger
06-15-2008, 03:29 PM
If you are planning to claim it, don't put the yellow DME tags on your checked luggage. I have heard that DME claims luggage before it goes out to the general public on the carousel. Of course, if you don't put the yellow tags on it, don't forget to claim it!

I have heard that they do not deliver the luggage to the rooms overnight; they will wait until the morning if it's the middle of the night.

Basically, you have two options for a late flight:
1) Leave off the yellow tags and claim the luggage yourself; you can put it under the bus on the ride to the resort. You will have all your luggage when you first arrive at the resort.
2) Pack what you need for the first night and the next day in your carry on. (Don't forget the 3oz rule for liquids and gels.) Then, you will have everything you need for overnight and the first day of park touring with you and you can let DME worry about your checked luggage. It should be waiting for you after you return from your park on the first day.

faline
06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
When I've arrived on a late flight, I've opted to pick up my bags and take them on the bus with me. As noted, just don't put the DME tags on your luggage (If you do, they do NOT show up at the luggage carousel). When you arrive in Orlando, go to the baggage claim area and get your bags before you head to the DME check-in area.

CleveRocks
06-16-2008, 10:41 PM
When I've arrived late, I've let DME handle my bags. We packed carry-ons with our supplies for the night and the next morning (which is just a smart way to fly no matter where you are going, just in case the AIRLINE delays your bags).

When I arrive late at night, ESPECIALLY with kids, my top priority is getting to the resort and getting to bed. I do not want to do anything that will delay my arrival at the resort. Detouring to baggage claim and waiting there for my bags is an unnecessary delay.