PDA

View Full Version : MVMCP Yeah or Nay?

bkfree
06-13-2008, 07:07 PM
We will be in WDW Dec 3-10. This will be our first time during the holidays.

I have read much about the MVMCP and really can't see what we would really be missing by not attending.
I would rather go to MK on one the days that they are not having the party, thinking it will be a lower crowd on that day.
So I want to hear why I should not cough up the extra money for it.
Those of you that have been, give me your thoughts and what you saw that was "Extra".
I know the fireworks and fake snow, What else?

jonahbear2006
06-13-2008, 08:01 PM
From what I have heard, the pirate and princess party, mvmcp, and Mickey's not so scary halloween party are all very similar events. Beyond the fact that the park was decorated differently, you aren't going to have much differences besides the special parade and the fireworks. I would skip it.

GrmGrninGost
06-13-2008, 10:04 PM
The fireworks themselves are worth the cost. The parade just adds to it! The snow on Main Street U.S.A. adds a little more! The characters you can meet add even more! The free cookies and hot chocolate add even a little more! The Christmas show more on top of that! And, to top it all off, because of the special things going on and the fact there is a limited number of people in the park, the ride lines are shorter than you're likely to find them at other times! All in all, MVMCP is my second favorite time to visit MK! My very favorite is MNSSHP! If you haven't been to one of the MK parties, try it! It is sooooo worth the little bit of money it costs! :mickey:

billandlaura
06-13-2008, 10:05 PM
We went to MVMCP last December. While we wouldn't put out the $$ to do it again, we had a very good time. The extras that I can remember are: Special Parade, Special Fireworks, Shows, and Fake Snow (this didn't do much for me). There is the "all you can consume" hot chocolate, cookies, apple slices, and juice. Other than that, it was just like EMH.

Maleficent's Dad
06-13-2008, 10:16 PM
This past December we attended MVMCP for the first time - a complete disappointment. (I may get some serious flack for saying that on these boards!!! :hide2:)

The only two things that were special to the evening party were the fireworks and parade. Every show for the party was also shown during the day. The fireworks were special, and the parade was wonderful, but for more than $50 per adult??? Hardly worth it. Okay, okay, they put out some cookies and cocoa, but believe me, those items were far from "magical."

The greatest disappointment was that the crowds at the party were not light. In fact, most - if not all - rides had much longer lines at the party than they did during the day.

For so many years, I had read so many great things about the party; I was totally psyched for it. It was a major letdown for us - and we had a party of 14 people... not one person would return.

tjstrike
06-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I've never been to the MVMCP but we've been to the MNSSHP and I was very dissappointed with that. Too many people, not enough "special" things going on to justify the extra $$ you pay.

mitchsfan
06-14-2008, 11:21 AM
You didn't say whether or not you were taking kids with you. We went to MVMCP this past December (the 18th). It was myself, my wife and our 3 year old son.

I personally thought it was worth the extra money.

You have the fireworks, the parade, the hot chocolate, and characters that you normally don't see.

The crowds - a week before Christmas - were pretty light. My son and I rode Goofy's Barnstormer 9 times in a row that night. All from the front seat.

You are going to get about a 50/50 mix here. Personally I thought it was worth it. I think everyone should try it once. If you don't like it then you know for the next time. Either way, have a great trip

Gator
06-14-2008, 12:44 PM
If you've never done it before, then I suggest you do it. It really is a cool expereince. I love all the extra shows and parades and fireworks. There are more characters out as well. And the lines are much shorter at all the rides. It's a good experience. The price is kinda high, but it's worth it if you've never been.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
06-14-2008, 01:58 PM
It was fun one time but we will never do it again. The fireworks and parade made it worth while but everything else was just ok. The biggest problem we had was the crowds! We were there in early Dec. and during the day the parks were perfect but for the party it was crazy. We got to see little to nothing because of the madness. If you have never done a party I would try it once and decide for yourself. For us once was enough.

monke
06-14-2008, 02:07 PM
we went 4 years ago :jaw: Can't believe its been that long. We had a great time. We froze our butts off it was so cold. The day before It was swimming hot then a front came in and it got so cold. The parade and fireworks and the little added extras made it. It was a great night.

Have you bought your park passes yet? If you haven't then just minus a day and use the morning to go to DTD or Disney Quest then you can use the mvmcp ticket and get in at 4pm. If you don't do it this year don't worry you will still get your christmas fix just being in the parks. Plus there is the Tree Lighting at Epcot and the Light display at Hollywood Studios. Even the hotels are beautiful that time of year. Take time out to go to the hotels and see how beautiful they are decorated. So weather you go to the party or not you will NOT miss out on the magic.

tmosier
06-14-2008, 06:28 PM
My family and I went the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year and LOVED IT! :party:
Our favorites were the fireworks, walking right on to rides and the evening atmosphere at the Magic Kingdom. We were spoiled with the short wait times. :thumbsup: The cookies, hot chocolate, the "snow", and the parade were OK. Everyone should experience MVMCP at least once! I would like to go back especially if my pass-holder sister could get tickets again at a discount! :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
This past December we attended MVMCP for the first time - a complete disappointment. (I may get some serious flack for saying that on these boards!!! :hide2:)

The only two things that were special to the evening party were the fireworks and parade. Every show for the party was also shown during the day. The fireworks were special, and the parade was wonderful, but for more than $50 per adult??? Hardly worth it. Okay, okay, they put out some cookies and cocoa, but believe me, those items were far from "magical."

The greatest disappointment was that the crowds at the party were not light. In fact, most - if not all - rides had much longer lines at the party than they did during the day.

For so many years, I had read so many great things about the party; I was totally psyched for it. It was a major letdown for us - and we had a party of 14 people... not one person would return.

Yup, what he said!:thumbsup:

I went to my first MVMCP this past December and was not a fan at all. It was a sell out which was the biggest turn off. The crowds were ridiculous!
I loved the fireworks and the Twas the Night show. The parade was good, nothing to write home about for me.
We are heading to WDW this December with the kids. As of right now, we are skipping the party.
I really wanted to love MVMCP. We went to two MNSSHP's in September and LOVED them. I would repeat that party with no hesitation at all!

Grumpy Grandpa
06-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Personaly I would not waste my money. We have been to both Halloween and Christmas paties and were extremly disapointed. If it was just the fireworks I would watch from outside of the park.It's Just was not for us. Way too crowded, to many people who believe they paid extra so get out of their way. Pushing our young granddaughters out of the way at the parades. Long lines for candy at Halloween and when we finaly found the hot chocolate and cookies they were out at Christmas.

Brownie54
06-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I have been twice. The first time was about ten years ago and it was great. The second time was about five years ago and it was much, much, more crowded. Not sure I'll ever do it again, but certainly glad I went once. How's that for a wishy-washy answer:D.

bkfree
06-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks All,
Most of you echoed the sentiments that I have heard from others that they were somewhat disappointed and not to shell out the extra money for it.
We will have our kids with us(Son 9 and daughter 7).
They don't drink hot chocolate, aren't much for cookies(I know weird) and have seen fake snow many times here in the South. My son has HF ASD and we try and avoid the crowds and would not want to take the chance on that. I think I would rather go for the late EMH at MK instead. That has always been great for us before.
They like parades Ok, but would rather be riding a ride instead and they love fireworks, but again have seen tons of those too!
SO I think this time around we will skip the Party.

Marilyn Michetti
06-22-2008, 10:24 AM
We went twice, and it was AWESOME ! We don't get snow in Az. so Disney did it for us. My favorite part was the parade. We had done the Keys To The Kingdom tour one year, and got to watch the Wooden Soldiers rehearse, so I just HAD to see them.

This year, we're going to put the $100+ toward something else - maybe the Dolphin experience for DH.:thumbsup:

tinkerbellybutton
06-22-2008, 10:43 AM
We've been twice, the kids were much younger and we loved it. The hot chocolate and cookies, the parade, fireworks. It was all worth the money. I don't think we'd do it again untill the grandbaby is a little older but it was worth it then.

Bringonthemouse!
06-22-2008, 10:51 AM
While my DD16 and I had a good time at MVMCP, we felt it was just expensive EMH. Our biggest draw to the party was getting to have our photos taken with the Charaters in their Christmas garb, but, unfortunately, the lines were soooo long we only got to see Minnie and Mickey, and while we were inside the Judges tent, we missed the fireworks because the line moved very slowly :(
The atmosphere was wonderful the parade was very festive, and the snow was a nice touch (but we had left -20° weather and plenty of snow;)). I'm just not sure it's worth the $$.
:twocents:

apequet
06-22-2008, 11:05 AM
This was our first trip to WDW, so we wanted to do everything that we could, but I must honestly say, it was our worst day in the park. :pout: We went last year on Tuesday Dec 11. (myself, DH, DS 9yrs od and DD 6 yrs old) I thought by going on a Tuesday, we would have light crowds...Wow! Was I wrong!! It was insane how large the crowds where!! :spoiler:
We didn't get to see any special show. We even went to the show's 45- 30 min early, and still it was a sell out. The cookies and hot coco was nice, but nothing special. We had met Santa in DTD earlier in the week, so we didn't have to wait in that long line, thank goodness. :whew:
I will say, that everyone enjoyed the parade the most. It's much better seeing it in person, than watching it on TV. Some of the floats have scents of Christmas (gingerbread, pepermint, etc) The different smells really puts you in the holiday mood. Even though there was alot of people, most of the lines for the rides was light. So, all we did was ride rides, which we had done earlier in our trip. The fireworks was nice, but you can see those outside the park. Another problem we had was finding a place to eat. Only a few restaurants where open, so we didn't have much to pick from, so I would eat dinner before you go. If it's your first time to WDW, I would suggest going, but plan on staying late. We left after the fireworks and the bus ride back to ASM was over a 40 min wait!:beat: I'm glad we went, but never again!:shake:

bmj721
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
We're going this year for the first time in Dec and have bought our tix for MVMCP. We want to do as much of the Disney Christmas experience as possible, because this will probable the only time there in Dec. We enjoyed the Halloween party before, except for the weather 3 yrs ago. We expect to have a great time this year in Dec.
:mickey:

disneyfankev
06-22-2008, 07:41 PM
we had a great time and i wish i could do it again this year

mickeys_princess_mom
06-22-2008, 08:24 PM
we had a great time
We loved it, too! Am excited to take DH for the first time this year. There's something just magical about it, and you really get that holiday feeling!!!
:sleigh::santa3:

kelly.garrett
06-23-2008, 10:14 AM
The fireworks and parade were worth it for me. Also the lines for the holiday characters were pretty short.

CU Tiger
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
We went to the MVMCP for the first time this past December and LOVED IT!! :number1: The crowds were very low, hot chocolate and cookies everywhere, and the fireworks were great!!:mickey: