PDA

View Full Version : Need a good vacuum recommendation.

caryrae
06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I think our vacuum is about to die, sounds like it is at least. We have had it for over 10 years. I would like to get a Dyson but way to exspensive for us. Any other recommendations for a good vacuum. It's just my wife and I and we have one cat. I like the ones that have the power brush attachment for cleaning the stairs and getting cat hair off the furniture.

I have been looking at the "Bissell Healthy Home vacuum" but reviews are kinda mixed more good reviews then bad though. Seems alot like a Dyson but half the price.

DisneyDog
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I only know from Dyson. I love love love mine. At one point we had 2 dogs that shed constantly, and it cleaned up our carpets really well. We have since ripped out most of the carpet and have mostly hard floors, and it still does a fantastic job. We had work done in our house (new kitchen and bathroom) and the contractors used the Dyson to clean up their messes. Fantastic vacuum, totally worth the price. Only negative is it's very heavy.

coloradowendyl
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Another vote for Dyson! It works great...just need to convince the teenagers who have to use it that it can vac behind doors and under things lol! The teens...don't work so well lol!

Wendy

d_m_n_n
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I know Dyson's are terribly expensive. It took me several years (and 3 vacs later) to finally bite the bullet and purchase one. It was hard, but now I don't regret it at all.

Do you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you? We were in line waiting to pay and a very nice woman behind us offered a 20% discount card (I get them all the time) that is able to be used on the Dysons. It ended up saving us $80!! If you would like a coupon, PM me and I'll send one to you...I have tons of them in my drawer! :D

To be honest, I've had a Hoover, Dirt Devil and a Bissell. The Hoover was probably the best, but it is nowhere near the vac the Dyson is.

magicofdisney
06-13-2008, 04:10 PM
I have a Eureka Boss Smart Vac and LOVE it. It has incredible suction power. It has the brush attachment for stairs. It is NOT a bagless vacuum, which I loathe. I hear great reviews on the Dyson, but I just don't care for bagless.

I got it at BestBuy for $149. As you can tell, it's a lot cheaper than a Dyson. Did I mention the suction power on this sucker? There's a knob to switch between floor and hose. It can also switch between carpeted and non-carpeted floors. It also comes with a Hepa Filter.

Jasper
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
My parents used to own an appliance store a number of years ago and among other things we sold vacuums. While we had several brands in order to be able to provide things at various price points I would have to say that Eurekas were the best overall that we sold. I say that based on a combination of their price, repair issues, and comments from customers.

Also, based on everything I have ever seen, regardless of what brand name you choose, a canister almost always does a better job of cleaning than an upright does. It all has to do with where the motor is located and how much dirt gets pulled through the motor on an upright vs. a canister.

gerald72
06-13-2008, 05:11 PM
All vaccums I have ever bought really ****.

gerald72
06-13-2008, 05:12 PM
All vaccums I have ever bought really ****.

Wow, just trying to make a joke. You can say suction, sucker, but no *****??

RedSoxFan
06-13-2008, 05:18 PM
I love my Dyson. Worth every penny. I got mine at Target almost a year ago when they were offering a $100 gift card. I also have an old Hoover Windtunnel that just is not nearly as nice as the Dyson.

caryrae
06-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Man a tough decision buy a cheaper vacuum or a Dyson. Man for the price of a Dyson just think how much gas I could get..... not much. lol

Thanks for all the advice. It would just be to hard to spend $400+ for a Dyson when we have had our way cheaper Hoover for over 10 years and is just now starting to die but if it will last a long time too and keep working well I may have to really think about a Dyson.

pixie897
06-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Dyson Dyson Dyson.....trust me you WILL NOT regret it if you spend the money...Best purchase I have ever made!

BrerGnat
06-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Another vote for the Eureka Boss Smart Vac! :thumbsup: We got ours at Costco for $129 about 7 years ago and it's still going strong! That thing is powerful!

For the money, it's an excellent choice. It has been named "Best Buy" by Consumer Reports for vacuums for the past SEVERAL years. It usually ends up in the #2 spot. #1 usually goes to a Hoover model, mainly because those are self propelled (thus, easier to use), whereas the Eureka is not.

Ironically, Dyson vacuums are generally rated "average" when compared across the line...

alphamommy
06-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I have to cast another vote for Dyson. We absolutely love ours! It's hard to bite the bullet and pay that kind of money, but I have to admit it's well worth it.

Good luck!
Tammy

trennedy
06-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I love my Oreck. It wasn't too expensive, plus they threw in a hand held vacuum, and an iron. It works great!!

DizneyRox
06-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Man a tough decision buy a cheaper vacuum or a Dyson. Man for the price of a Dyson just think how much gas I could get..... not much. lol

Thanks for all the advice. It would just be to hard to spend $400+ for a Dyson when we have had our way cheaper Hoover for over 10 years and is just now starting to die but if it will last a long time too and keep working well I may have to really think about a Dyson.
The problem is, your current 10 year old vacuum probably doesn't do nearly as good of a job as the Dyson. The suction is so strong, it's a lot "harder" to push around since it's suctioning itself down to the rug.

I've done the test, we had an older vacumm, did the whole floor with it, then used our new Dyson on it and I ended up with TWO canisters of dust/dirt/hair, etc in the Dyson, and that was AFTER a cleaning with a normal vacuum.

Yes the price is higher than most want to spend, but we've had our Dyson for about 6 years now, cleans just as good now as it did when we got it. Haven't spent a dime on bags, parts, etc. as well.

jrkcr
06-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I bought the Eureka Boss smart vac about a year ago at Costco....and I guess it has cleaned OK.

But I get SO ANNOYED when I use it, cause the hose will not stay on the machine. The hose just draps over the back and rests loosely on a U-shaped track, and it continuously falls off!!!:thedolls: I usually hold the hose in one hand while I push the machine around with the other-not very fun.

I would NOT buy this same vacuum again. Just my :twocents:

Geez-I got mad just from writing this!! :mad:

d_m_n_n
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I've done the test, we had an older vacumm, did the whole floor with it, then used our new Dyson on it and I ended up with TWO canisters of dust/dirt/hair, etc in the Dyson, and that was AFTER a cleaning with a normal vacuum.

This happened to me! I was so :blush: when I tried it out the first time with my MIL here. I sweep pretty often, but it looked like I hadn't done it for months with all the yuck in the cannister!

mdhiggin
06-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a TriStar that works well, but I usually leave the vacuuming to my Roomba. It's my favorite. It won't do your stairs, though.

Diznee4Me
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
The final word - Rainbow.

My mother bought one twenty plus years ago and then they cost around $1500. She passed it to me a few years ago and we traded it in on a new one.

Has unsurpassed suction and empties everything into a water container which you then pour out - no dust in a cannister or filter bag.

My mother bought it for my allergies. Probaly $2000 plus now but they have trade in value and great warranties.

DisneyDog
06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
We bought our Dyson when we first moved into our 32 year old house 3 years ago. The house had the original carpeting -- UGLY red shag carpet with a weird texture. When the dogs shed, the carpet would not release the fur. We had an Oreck at the time, and the Oreck did NOTHING. NOT A THING. I couldn't get the fur off of the carpet at all. It suddenly looked like we had wall-to-wall fur coat. Yuck! So, we used a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon and bought the Dyson. It sucked up all of the fur and the old carpet suddenly looked brand new again! I was SO happy!! 3 years later it is still working perfectly. I love it love it love it love it! We threw out the Oreck. Worst money I ever spent. Only good thing about it was that it was light. Big deal when it doesn't pick up anything.

Disney Doll
06-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Okay, self confessed clean freak weighing in here. My mom had a Rainbow when I was a kid and it did a great job. However, I didn't like lifting and emptying the yucky water and I was always paranoid that I would knock the canister over as I was dragging it behind me and spill the water/ruin the machine. Plus, it is very expensive. Then, my mom got a Kirby which she loaned to me after they took out their carpet. I loved that Kirby. It was self propelled and really cleaned. Well, my parents moved to a house with carpet so I gave back the Kirby. I thought about buying one for myself, but they are just too expensive for my budget. So, instead we got a Dyson canister. It is fabulous!!! I know it is a little expensive, but it works so much better than the cheaper vacuums. I love that it is bagless- no bags to buy and emptying a canister is easier and cleaner than changing a bag. I have 4 cats plus the cat litter they like to track around and my Dyson really does the job. The suction is powerful so it is a little harder to push than most of the wimpy suckers, but it's worth it IMO.

merlinmagic4
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for this thread! My Kenmore Progressive died yesterday. I have to vacuum this house every 12 hours or so and I had no idea what to buy. Now I do.........I'm purchasing a Dyson right now from Home Depot online :thumbsup: Can't wait to get it!

princessjojo
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I saw a discussion from Consumer Reports not too long ago 1-2 months ago, and they said that Kenmore makes the best overall vaccuum even comparing it to the Dyson. I don't remember which Kenmore they listed however. I do remember that it was round $300 though.

caryrae
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I saw a discussion from Consumer Reports not too long ago 1-2 months ago, and they said that Kenmore makes the best overall vaccuum even comparing it to the Dyson. I don't remember which Kenmore they listed however. I do remember that it was round $300 though.

Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive.
This is the number 1 vacuum on their list, a score of 75 out of 100 $300. The fisrt Dyson on the list was in 8th place, scored 65 of 100 Dyson Absolut Animal. There is not anther Dyson until 16th place, scored 62 of 100 Dyson DC14 complete.

The one I was looking at from my opening post came in 10th, the Bissel Healthy Home scored 63 of 100. The Bissel $250 uses the same technology as the Dyson for half the price and was only 2 points less then the top Dyson which is $550.

P.S. the list I was looking at was Consumer Reports Upright Vacuums list.

merlinmagic4
06-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive.
This is the number 1 vacuum on their list, a score of 75 out of 100 $300.

P.S. the list I was looking at was Consumer Reports Upright Vacuums list.

I had (until yesterday) the Kenmore Progressive and I was never really happy with it at all. I have not had it that long and I believe the motor is gone if all that smoke and noise was any indication. I vacuum frequently (daily, sometimes twice) but I only have 3 area rugs in my house and I often sweep the hardwood/tile. I do have a carpeted cellar but that didn't get vacuumed as often.

Not a great buy in my experience; I really hope the Dyson is better for us :thumbsup:

What have you decided on?

caryrae
06-17-2008, 06:06 PM
I had (until yesterday) the Kenmore Progressive and I was never really happy with it at all. I have not had it that long and I believe the motor is gone if all that smoke and noise was any indication. I vacuum frequently (daily, sometimes twice) but I only have 3 area rugs in my house and I often sweep the hardwood/tile. I do have a carpeted cellar but that didn't get vacuumed as often.

Not a great buy in my experience; I really hope the Dyson is better for us :thumbsup:

What have you decided on?

I think we are gonna try the Bissell Healthy Home. It has the same cyclonic technology as the Dyson so it doesn't loose suction. It looks like is is alot like the Dyson Animal but the Bissell is $300 cheaper. The reviews at Home Depot has 5 out of 5 stars.

The Bissell Healthy Home Vacuum™ is built like no other vacuum. It offers superior cleaning with Multi-Cyclonic technology that delivers non-stop suction to remove dirt and allergens from all surfaces. It also features MicroBan Antimicrobial Product Protection which fights the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew. This vacuum will leave you with fresh, pure indoor air as it purifies the air while you clean and offers an AireTight HEPA Filtration System that traps and seals in 100% of dust mites, pollen, ragweed, mold spores and 99.9% of pet dander. This vacuum also includes a TurboBrush, Anti-Clog Hose, Anti-Tip Design, 12 amps, 15" wide cleaning path, fingertip power and brush controls, 7 height adjustments and an Easy Empty Dirt Cup.

We live in a smaller Townhome with not a ton of carpet and it is just my wife and I and our cat so not alot of foot traffic ect. With the prices of things these days saving 2-3 hundred dollars is a big deal.

Thanks everyone.

Jasper
06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Do any of you have the Dyson upright they are advertising now with the ball joint that allows you to turn more easily? If so how do you like that feature?

I also forgot to mention that we have had our Eureka canister (sorry I don't remember which version) for over 20 years and it still cleans just great. Changing bags and filters regularly as well as giving the inside of your vacuum a good cleaning once or twice a year also goes a long way in making them last.

My wife used to clean house and one of the people she cleaned for had one called the "pig" I don't remember who makes it but she said it VERY expensive but was the best canister she had ever used.

DizneyRox
06-17-2008, 11:23 PM
CR lost all credibility with me when they rated Behr paint #1. I don't even bother with them anymore, I get better vibes from reviews on Amazon.com.

caryrae
06-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Well I got the Bissell Healthy Home Vac and let me tell ya it worked great. The owners who lived here before we moved in, a year ago, had pets and even after a year of just the 2 of us, our cat, and a ten year old vacuum I couldn't believe how much of the owners pets hair it picked up even after a year of using our old vacuum. Then I used the power brush on the stairs and pick up a ton more. I am very impressed with it. It could be a little heavy for some people but it rolls pretty good on the carpet. The hose stretches most of the way up our stairs (about 20 steps) and I like the fact that it's clear so you could see if anything were to stuck in the hose.

VolMickey
06-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Dyson model 14. It'll s**k the chrome off the bumper of a '56 Buick. :thumbsup:

wickedwitch
06-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Yesterday I bought the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser..love it.I have 3 cats and a dog couldn't believe how much fur was in my rugs! Oh and it has a power brush for stairs and the canister pops out so you don't have to lug the whole vac up the stairs!!Best vac ever!!

scoot241
06-24-2008, 09:30 PM
We got a Kenmore Progressive canister vacuum and it works great. I believe it was one of the vacuums in Consumer Reports. The one complaint I have about it is that the bags aren't cheap.

We got a good deal on it about this time last year... I believe the new vacuums were coming out and the one we bought was a closeout.