PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever consider doing a Disney trip by yourself?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I've done an occasional one evening at Disney in conjunction with a business trip, but never an extended stay on my own. I usually do Disney trips with my wife, and now that we have her, with my daughter.

I may have the opportunity to spend a long weekend at Disney in a couple of months, but my wife and daughter couldn't come - it would only be me for three nights and three days.

Is this something that you've ever done or would consider doing?

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I have done solo trips to Las Vegas without the wife and kids, ages 16/14/10, with no problem but I don't think I could do a Disney solo trip. The atmosphere around you almost requires you to be with at least one person. Of course that is personal opinion.

Jasper
06-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I have never done more than a single day at a time but that is just because it just never worked out any other way. However, I would most definitely do a longer solo trip if things happened to work out that way. Sure it is fun having the kids and my wife along but if I were there by myself I would love the chance to do those attractions I love the most and doing them the way I want.

iheartfigment
06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I would love to go on a vacation in WDW by myself. In fact, everytime I go down there with my family I plan what I would do if I was there by myself. :mickey:

Belle619
06-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, definitely! If I had to be down in Orlando for work and no one in my family could make the trip with me, then I would totally go to WDW alone. I would love the opportunity to do everything that I want to do.

Some in my family feel that it is exhausting to go to Disney with me because I like to wake up early to hit the parks and stay until close - so to be able to do that without anyone complaining would be great!

big blue and hairy
06-13-2008, 02:21 PM
No. Being there without DW would be depressing to me.

:sulley:

lockedoutlogic
06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
absolutely.....probably not for a week or anything....

but i would love to have the time to spend as much or as little time doing whatever i felt....

it would be a nice change of pace...not a regular thing....but i could see the advantages of it....

Taja
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Absolutely! Five of my nine WDW visits have been solo! *LOL* And most at least 10 nights.

It's a completely different experience than traveling with family and friends. Both are wonderful in their own way. :)

caryrae
06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I may do a solo day if I were there for work but anything over that I would need others around me to make it more fun and have some memories to share with each other. To me Disney is much more fun hanging out with friends and/or family.

brad192
06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
My last 2 trips were solo, for 9 days in '04, and 7 days in '07. Although the '07 trip was the week of the ICOT 10th anniversary gathering, so I wasn't really alone... ;)

I had a great time both trips. Did what I wanted, as much as I wanted, ate when & where I chose, met some really interesting people while standing in lines, etc. Got tons of attention from CM's once they realized I was solo, and generally was able to do things at MY pace. There were a couple of things though...

TS meals were a bit lonely, with nobody there to have a conversation with. I also was often put into ride vehicles like TT and M:S with complete starngers (no big deal, just a little awkward for everyone). Other than that, it was great fun & a very relaxing vacation both times. I've even got my third solo trip planned for this December! Of course, there will be quite a few Intercotees there during that time so it probably won't be a completely solo adventure. :D

MushuGrl
06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
If I were there for a seminar or work or something, definately. But I couldn't plan a week long vacation alone - I'd miss my sister and friends that I usually go with too much! Disney means sharing to me.

EJS-Houston
06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Maybe for a day, sure (I'm going to an Orlando conference next month and if I can can't convince any colleagues to go with me I have no qualms about going by myself)...but an extended stay...no, I'd want/need to share the experience.

snerd475
06-13-2008, 04:10 PM
In a heartbeat! In fact, I've told my dd (who is the only one who goes with me), that the next time, I'm going alone. There are so many things I want to do that she doesn't, and she's too young (9) to be left alone. So, I'm thinking of an October weekend if they have some good FL resident rates for rooms. Only for a couple days, though. That'd get in all my stuff.

KineGirl
06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Done .. No

Considered/would do in heart beat YES!!!!

:D

DisneyFreak23
06-13-2008, 05:19 PM
I've already started planning mine for 2021 on my Golden B-day!! Oct 27!! I just want to go and only go to MK!! That would be my dream!! Just me and Disney!! I could accomplish so much more if I was alone.

ransam
06-13-2008, 05:37 PM
i would love to go alone and have even checked into it. Last year i went w/ my sister and friend, and i loved it....but there were 2 days we kind of went our own seperate ways and those were two of my favorite days. I got to see what i wanted. shop if i wanted. didn''t have to shop if i didn't want to. ate when and what i wanted....i don't think i would want to go everytime, but i'd love a chance to go back for a few days all by myself.

McGoofy
06-13-2008, 05:50 PM
It is definitely not the ideal situation for me as I think my DH and DS are what make the trips so fun. I have never done a solo trip. However, if the opportunity lended itself due to work, conference, etc..., I would not have a problem doing it. On the other hand, I would not just schedule a week long vacation to go down there by myself just to get away. But that's just me.

It's funny you asked this question because just last night my DH and I were talking about something similar. I have to be on the hurricane disaster team this year at work. That means I am stuck at the hospital before, during, and after if a hurricane hits. DH said that he would just leave town and take DS to Disney. I said, "Go ahead because when you get back, you can clean up the disaster at our home, and I will be in need of a solo trip to Disney!":mickey:

KineGirl
06-13-2008, 06:37 PM
It's funny you asked this question because just last night my DH and I were talking about something similar. I have to be on the hurricane disaster team this year at work. That means I am stuck at the hospital before, during, and after if a hurricane hits. DH said that he would just leave town and take DS to Disney. I said, "Go ahead because when you get back, you can clean up the disaster at our home, and I will be in need of a solo trip to Disney!":mickey:

LOL He would have to pick which would be the better storm to avoid ... Mother Natures Hurricane

or Taras ;)

hubbyofadisneyholic
06-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Back in 1998 my employer held a product launch at WDW and brought approx 8000 employees and their families down. My wife and daughter could not go. It felt very weird wandering around alone. I ended up spending a lot of time in my room.
Hope I never have to go solo again...

We all have activities we enjoy doing alone. For us going to WDW is a family thing.:mickey:

Mousemates
06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure if I would enjoy more than a day there alone (and that only if I was in Orlando for a convention or something)....I simply have too many deep memory associations with the various attractions and resorts and would probably feel incredibly lonesome without either my wife or kids.

GrmGrninGost
06-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Never done it. Would love to! Given those circumstances, I could see myself having a ball for 2 or 3 days at WDW! DW, DS and DD would have a cow, but what the heck, why couldn't I have a good time just because they couldn't be there? I wouldn't just take off to WDW, but if I were there already, why not? :mickey:

alilprincessmom99
06-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Most definately! I would love to spend a few days at WDW just by myself. I would miss DD and DH, but it would be relaxing to go at my own pace and do my own thing.

brownie
06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I would take a trip by myself. I would enjoy it, but I think it's more fun if you can share the experience with someone else.

luvdiznee
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
YES. Would definitely consider. Always thinking about it. :mickey:

elmjimmlm
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I could not imagine going without my family...

Flower
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
My only experience solo was 1 night at the MK and I ended up LOVING it!

I was mad at DH because he wanted to stay in the room and watch the hockey playoffs:mad:

I hopped on the resort bus and headed to MK for a few hours, I went on whatever I wanted, I took my time in shops, I bought popcorn and I did not have to share;). I showed up at the room carrying my leftover popcorn, a balloon and wearing mouse ears! I actually had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat.

With kids, I never seem to get any alone time anymore and if I was already there for work and without the family, I would take full advantage.:mickey:

jrkcr
06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
YES! But not until my kids are older, or start to complain about "having" to go. Otherwise I would feel way too much guilt!

But I usually get an hour or two by myself when we all go. DH takes our 3 DD's back to the hotel pool and I get to wander all alone-and it feels GREAT!!!!
I treat myself to a dole whip :papple: and stroll through the shops, or people watch.

c&d
06-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I think I would enjoy it for a bit but then I'd get to thinking about how much fun it would be if DS and DH were with me. It's always fun to talk about the different things that occur while we're there, 1st timers reactions on rides, how wet I got on Kali Rapids, etc.

Maybe 24 hours would work for me.

Marker
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
If the opportunity presented itself, I'd do in without a second thought.

Of course I love going with my family. But I came home from a trip and said that I had the opportunity to go to WDW for a couple days but just couldn't bare to go without them.....well they'd just look at me like I was crazy or something.

MickeyandTink
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
I would love to do a solo for a few days, if I was going to be going there anyway. However, DW, DD and DS being ok with me planning a trip there without them? Ain't gonna happen.

SurferStitch
06-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't ever consider a trip by myself. Being there with my DH is what makes WDW magical for me. I couldn't imagine it any other way. :cloud9:

Beast_fanatic
06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
I did a solo trip back in 2003. DH was OK with it as he didn't have any vacation, and I did it rather cheaply (had a frequent flyer ticket, stayed at a value resort, etc.). I met up with a bunch of people from INTERCOT and toured the parks with them for part of the time, but I spent a good deal of time on my own as well. It was a lot of fun as I could do what I want, when I wanted and I could eat what I wanted, when I wanted. I didn't have to worry if anyone else was too tired or if they didn't want what I wanted to eat, etc. I could also linger over the details or sit and people watch or whatever. I did do some table service meals on my own, and I just carried a small journal with me so I could take trip report notes if I felt uncomfortable. All-in-all, it was a great time and I would do it again if I could.

Young@Heart
06-18-2008, 01:11 AM
I don't think I could ever go on my own. I'd get too lonely without DH or DC along. But DH and I are planning a trip w/o kids once they're all grown and on their own. And I'm hoping, when DS's are in college, that DD and I can take a girl's trip by ourselves. :cloud9:

ChipDale2708
06-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I did a solo trip a couple of years ago. It was a last minute trip and no one else could get away that quick. I had been dealing w/ some medical issues and needed to get away from everything. Disney was the perfect 'safe' place for me to go. It was only a long weekend but it gave me enough time to do what I wanted at my own pace. Came home rejeuvinated and ready to face more tests. Not sure I could go for a whole week by myself though.

tomatoe pie
07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
yes,yes,yes!:magic:

i have done disney alone, with family or business. i take my daughter and grandchildren once or twice a year for a week each time, but i also go alone once in a while. i find wdw not only fun but also relaxing and a bit of luxury that i enjoy. i grew up with the mickey mouse club and i will always be a member if only in my heart.:mickey:

i love the halloween party at mk and the children can not get out of school, so i am planning a week and the party alone :yes: this october. i do have an extra party ticket in case a family member or friend would like to join me. but i will have a great time anyway.

most of my friends do not understand my passion for disney, and they have not even tried it. i will never let that spoil my fun! maybe that is part of the magic of disney, it does not mater if anyone else has the magic because it is within you.:pixie:

i may be too old to do this one day so i don't want to miss a chance to enjoy fun, and disney is just plain old fun no matter which part of that world you are in.:thumbsup:

Aggie97
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I have no interest in doing a solo trip to WDW. My husband and I have a blast together!

In Dec. my husband had a work conference there. Of course we used it as an excuse to spend a week at WDW after it ended! But I had a few days to myself while he was tied up with the conference, and I really did not enjoy it. I went to the MK one day; I did a little shopping on Main Street and then left the park b/c I found it too depressing. I did resort hop a bit to shop and eat, which was so-so. I ended up just spending a couple afternoons with a book by the resort pool, which was nice enough, but something I can do just as easily at home!

Anyway, I learned that a solo trip definitely is not for me. :mickey:

amd780
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Sharing the magic of WDW with DH is what makes my trips - well, magical! :mickey: I couldn't imagine going alone.

Lizzie
07-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh I would go. As long as I had my nice camera. I never get a chance to just slowly walk around the parks and take pictures. I think it would be relaxing. I may not ride a lot of rides but I would hit the water parks and pools and shop.

Minnie Imagineer
07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I would do a day trip (maybe)...but I don't think I would enjoy it.
I like to have people around me to enjoy the magic with.
Plus I wouldn't want to feel like a loser having to always be paired up with random people on rides! haha!

PrincessCandaceMarie
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Absolutely! Five of my nine WDW visits have been solo! *LOL* And most at least 10 nights.

It's a completely different experience than traveling with family and friends. Both are wonderful in their own way. :)

Me too!!!!! And you can go to eat when you want, where you want and go to the bathroom when you have too!!! LOL:blush:

IloveDisney71
07-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't think I'd ever do a solo trip to Disney. I have so many magical memories at Disney but they are all with family and friends. I've wandered around a little bit by myself at Disney but I always feel a little weird and I don't think I'd enjoy riding the rides alone. I've ridden rides alone while my DH waited for me (he doesn't do a lot of roller coasters) and the rides just weren't as fun for me.