PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic and DP Question

WDW&MK
06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
We are going to WDW in Sept for free Dining plan. DH is a diabetic. Do you know if you can substitute an appetizer for the desert on the DP? It would really be great if that was allowed.
Thanks for any info!!
Kari

MsMin
06-13-2008, 09:44 AM
I haven't been w/ my dad (diabetic) since the changes but they did provide sugar-free deserts. I can't say I was impressed b/c so many times the waiter would tell him "we'll find something for you" and most times it was sugar-free ice cream... Can't say there was a lot of effort to make anything different.
With as much as we ate w/ the DDP and as much as my dad cheated it was amazing that he didn't run high at all. Can't say the activity was that much higher b/c he rides the EVC and has very limited mobility. Now high for us doesn't mean the higher side of normal but 300 or more to me is high. He would run 125-140 but for him that's good and the doc said that when you are older you shouldn't let it get too low b/c he could get weak or dizzy.
Have a great time.
Hope someone else has asked....about the appetizer.

Strmchsr
06-18-2008, 06:14 PM
No, unfortunately substituting an appetizer for dessert is not allowed. They will work with you on the menu, though.

Is your husband type-1 or type-2? That might make some difference in how you approach this. My DS7 is type-1 and obviously "sugar-free" means nothing for him as "sugar-free" does not mean "carb-free" and it's the carbs a type-1 diabetic can't process. We talked with the wait staff and chefs about the various menu items and they were extremely helpful in helping us choose items where we would know how to properly dose my son. I'm sure they would work just as well with you. Just be sure to note on your ADRs that your husband is a diabetic.