PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Cancelled Their Trip Due To Fuel Prices ??

mickey98
06-12-2008, 03:33 PM
It is SAD to say that fuel prices will force us to cancel our yearly F.W. trip this year due to the fact that we are 1028 miles from our front door to F.W. and our 39 foot motorhome is diesel. Although it is MUCH cheaper for us to stay at F.W. in our motorhome instead of flying and staying at a resort, it has still become too expensive for fuel. So in great sadness we will be cancelling our November 2008 resies and HOPING that fuel prices will fall or at least level out so we can budget higher fuel costs for our 2009 trip.. We never thought that we would be forced not to be alble to visit our most favorite place.. WHAT is the world coming to ????????????????????

faline
06-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry. Up until a few month ago, I was extremely jealous of anyone who owned a Class A diesel pusher but, right now, can't imagine needing to pay the fuel bill! Hopefully, fuel prices will fall enough to allow you to get back on the road again!

tjstrike
06-13-2008, 03:00 AM
We were going to go this summer but the trip has been put off till ???? because of fuel prices.

:angry:

vicster
06-13-2008, 09:32 AM
We have a 28' fifth wheel that we have not taken to FW for the past 3 years. We opted to stay at one of the resorts due to high fuel prices. We've been able to get great airfare from Southwest (although I don't know what we'll get for our trip this September). I totally miss FW but it just doesn't make sense to spend the money on gas. I wonder if gas prices are hurting FW???

elmjimmlm
06-13-2008, 09:51 AM
We are planning on Dec. and I have heard that the gas will maybe be over 5.00 a gallon...I hope that is not the case so we dont have to think about not going...:(

Dakota Rose
06-13-2008, 10:30 AM
So far our Jan 09 trip is still on the books. Mostly because we're splitting costs with my parents who are also going. And flying from ND to WDW actually costs $400 more for the 5 of us than driving. I'm hoping that because we're going in the winter, diesel prices will have leveled off or maybe even gone down a little. But we will likely cut back other places like skipping the hoppers and eating more meals in the RV than in the parks. I hope we don't have to cancel, but we'll see what the next few months bring.

RocknBev
06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I am sorry:(....the gas prices are definitely a bummer! My SUV definitely has become driveway decor as I drive the Honda everywhere I go now! My sister is planning to pull her RV down in January when we go to WDW but she is saving big time now due to the gas prices. If she didn't have 4 kids and wasn't planning to stay a week at WDW she would probably rethink her decision as well!
I hope you can plan another trip in the near future!

caryrae
06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
It is SAD to say that fuel prices will force us to cancel our yearly F.W. trip this year due to the fact that we are 1028 miles from our front door to F.W. and our 39 foot motorhome is diesel. Although it is MUCH cheaper for us to stay at F.W. in our motorhome instead of flying and staying at a resort, it has still become too expensive for fuel. So in great sadness we will be cancelling our November 2008 resies and HOPING that fuel prices will fall or at least level out so we can budget higher fuel costs for our 2009 trip.. We never thought that we would be forced not to be alble to visit our most favorite place.. WHAT is the world coming to ????????????????????

What does it cost for you to fill up your RV and what kinda MPG's does it get.

Mousemates
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
A truly sad state of affairs...the gas prices have not forced us not to go...but they have eaten a pretty good chunk out of our discretionary money...and we don;t even own an RV anymore...we got rid of our camper just prior to our last relocation, but wouldn't have been able to use for anything but local trips given the fuel prices. Sure am glad I bought the Subaru Forrester now instead of the Ford Explorer.

jonahbear2006
06-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Since you still would love to go, and you don't want to pay Diesel costs, why not "rough" it this year and see the tent camping side of FW this year. We did the math for our trip in sept, and we live in Dec. Ill and suggesting that we have to pay $4.50 a gal. (i overshot it a bit just so I don't get sticker shocked), It will cost us approximately $433 round trip, to drive to Disneyworld; 1036 miles from home. When we went in Feb., it cost us about $350. Bummer, BUT, I am still glad I am not flying my family, for a grand total of $1300. If I were you, I would grab an area rug, a few small lamps, pack your clothes into some type of plastic drawers or bring collapsible boxes, bring some air mattresses, an elect. blanket J.I.C., and still see Disney. You may be suprised how much fun a tent can be in Disney. If you decide to do this, dont forget to rain repellent spray your tent. A lot of people don't realize this needs to be done. I would def. go though. Don't let gas prices stop you from truly enjoying the lifetime you have!

mickey98
06-14-2008, 08:41 AM
What does it cost for you to fill up your RV and what kinda MPG's does it get.
Our R.V. Holds 100 gallons of fuel and costs approx $475.00 each time to fill.. We fill approx 3 times down and back.. We get approx 8-10 mpg....

mickey98
06-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Since you still would love to go, and you don't want to pay Diesel costs, why not "rough" it this year and see the tent camping side of FW this year. We did the math for our trip in sept, and we live in Dec. Ill and suggesting that we have to pay $4.50 a gal. (i overshot it a bit just so I don't get sticker shocked), It will cost us approximately $433 round trip, to drive to Disneyworld; 1036 miles from home. When we went in Feb., it cost us about $350. Bummer, BUT, I am still glad I am not flying my family, for a grand total of $1300. If I were you, I would grab an area rug, a few small lamps, pack your clothes into some type of plastic drawers or bring collapsible boxes, bring some air mattresses, an elect. blanket J.I.C., and still see Disney. You may be suprised how much fun a tent can be in Disney. If you decide to do this, dont forget to rain repellent spray your tent. A lot of people don't realize this needs to be done. I would def. go though. Don't let gas prices stop you from truly enjoying the lifetime you have!
Sorry, We can only go in November due to school schedules.. And not to seem snobbish but if you have ever went to F.W. in a 39 ft motorhome you would not tent camp ( sorry ). There are 5 of us that go and driving 18-20 hours in our daily driving vehicle is not my idea of fun.. We also take our golf cart with us to save dollars on renting one..

caryrae
06-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Our R.V. Holds 100 gallons of fuel and costs approx $475.00 each time to fill.. We fill approx 3 times down and back.. We get approx 8-10 mpg....

Wow almost $1500 in fuel just to get there and back but I guess it's still cheaper then buying 5 roundtrip airline tickets most likely.

NJ Camper
06-14-2008, 02:17 PM
last year i left central Nj went down to fortlauderdale then up to disney a few days of short trips while there then back to NJ with my dodge gas powered truck pulling a 32 ft travel trailer it cost me aproximately 1000.00 i can only guess what it will cost this year hopefully without the trip to fort lauderdale just Nj to disney 's fort wilderness and home it will be about the same or maybe a little less lol:laughing::laughing:well i can always hope when we go in Oct prices drop a little but not getting my hopes to high on that we cancelled all our other camping trips just to save for disney it's going to be a long summer with no other trips but 15 days in disney is WORTH it nothing else compares so we will have to suffer through til then

jonahbear2006
06-14-2008, 02:54 PM
actually when I tried to add a flight to our plan, with 5 tickets, through disney, it broke down to about $1100 for the flight, round trip for 5 people. That is still high, though. We didn't want to pay it. Hmmm, we have never stayed in an RV. We never had that luxury but we thought that the tent was pretty comfortable in F.W. I have tent camped since I was little bitty and this is the best campground I have ever stayed at. I love doing this cause I know I am not blowing any money on sleep.

NJ Camper
06-14-2008, 03:40 PM
One thing to also remember the wear and tear on your vechicle along with the mileage mine is always very low i drive about 10 min or less to work so i put very little mileage on if we flew we also would have to kennel our 2 dogs staying in our camper cost 1/2 of most resorts maybe even less so the cost of gas is still worth it for us even with the 1085.35 mile trip my 2 year old truck has been to disney twice this oct will be trip number 3 it only has just over 20,000 miles on it guess i need to get out more we break our trip into 2 days we travel from central Nj to the Ga border and stay in the savanha Koa then to the fort the next day on the way home we usually get to the Nc border of Va area and stay in a koa agian they all seem to be pet friendly so our 2 old dogs travel with us they seem to love going on trips and being in the camper

JRocker
06-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I really hate to hear that you are having to cancel your trip, I really hope that I won't ever be faced with that decision. The price of diesel is exceptionally painful right now.

For the first time that I can remember, the price of gas was actually a concern for us this vacation, but not a big concern...
I cut down on our "going out" meals a bit, and we got less souveniers, but it didn't stop us from taking a trip.

As far as flying down to Orlando.....won't ever happen for us(as a family). For one, camping at FW is "da'bomb". Second, to fly a family of five down there would cost me roughly $2300. So if it comes down to it, I can toss a tent in the back of the little car and "suffer" ;) for a week or so in FW.

Now, back to budgeting our '09 trip.....$5 or $6 a gallon....

Auntie
06-14-2008, 06:24 PM
From what I've been reading and hearing there are a good many people who are vacationing closer to home rather than making a 1200 mile or so trip to FW. Reports have been that reservations at the Fort appear light...lots of empty sites..especially during the week.
I don't think it is simply the increase in the fuel it takes to get to the Fort, but more a cumulative effect that the increase in gas has on the rest of our economy. The weekly trip to the grocery store has increased dramatically. The cost of commuting to and from work, has increased. Along with the gas, you can add increases to the tolls. Even the transist systems have raised their rates for mass transit. Its the trickle down effect that the increase in fuel has on every other aspect of our lives that has people thinking twice about vacations. Certainly a few hundred dollars more for the actual fuel isn't the only issue influencing the decision to go or not to go. It's how this increase is creeping into every other aspect of our budget that isn't leaving very much left over.

jonahbear2006
06-14-2008, 07:14 PM
We looked into this actually. We were considering spending the vacation in Chicago, instead of Disneyworld. It was going to be this week. We decided against it because a decent hotel that would have allowed us to not drive and park everywhere was about $325-$350 a night and then on top of that $35 a night to park your car with no ins and outs. Disney has spoiled us. After a week of spending that, we could've driven to Disney and Camped at FW for the week and bought park tickets, just the extra cost of gas and it if is a $500 difference between Disney and Chicago, Disney will always win. Free Dining plan is somewhat of a bonus, along with the call from the castmember who offered us free tickets to the parks so we upgraded to Beach club. I am thrilled. My husband always works an extra job for a month or two before our trip. It helps us afford to go, so this is our "suffer" time, not the trip down. We actually thoroughly enjoy the car trips to Fl and the kids are very well behaved.(we leave at bedtime so they sleep most of the way.):mickey:

Auntie
06-14-2008, 08:17 PM

I hope you don't mind but...
I have pm'd you the name of someone who rents their fifth wheel. Beautiful rig...three slideouts and two seperate bedroom areas. This might be an option you might want to consider. It is not a national chain. They actually will place it on site for you in FW, and hook up your gray,black,and fresh water. Includes chairs and awning matt. All your cookware, and towels and linens. The national chains don't offer any of that. Pretty much all you need to do is bring yourselves. It would save you the gas of bringing your own motor home, yet you'd be able to stay in Fort Wilderness. We are renting from these people this summer, and several people on another camping board have given them very good reviews. Just thought it might be something you might want to consider...if not now, then for another time. I know we have a travel trailer, and my husband has no real desire(or do we have the time needed) to tow from NY and back.Add the cost of gas to it..and there's just no way that's gonna happen. This way we can fly..and there are some reasonable flights on Southwest to Orlando, and still stay in FW, in the caming loops. We've tried the cabins, and they were just a bit removed from the campground amenties for us. I prefer to be in the regular camping loops.

Grumpy Grandpa
06-15-2008, 06:07 AM
I know that I have figured that it will cost me about $400.00 for fuel for me to bring our 38' 5th wheel and we actualy live in Florida. (Pensacola) But that being said it is still alot cheaper than staying at a resort. You have to consider the amount you will save on food alone as we all know it is not cheap to eat at WDW. Even with the DP you still have breakfast. Free Dining is not an option for us as we have AP's. Dont realy know when and if we will be going but I know so far have not had any problem finding a spot.

dephenn
06-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Just want to say sorry to hear about your situation.

longing4magic
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
After a lot of figuring we decided to cancel our Disney camping trip and stay at a moderate resort. We will be traveling from Maryland and decided that the fuel prices and the wear and tear on our vehicle was just too much. I was really looking forward to FW, oh well maybe another time. FW is not the only campng trip we had to cancel, we are trying to stay close to home with our camper this year.

Camping Mom
06-22-2008, 11:47 PM
We just drove to Disney to deliver our son up as one of their newest Cast Members. He was moving into an apt. with some room mates and we stayed with him, so we did not have a room bill. It cost us 700.00 there and back to fill up our 44 gallon Excursion with diesel. We actually got 19 mpg on the way home. We were thrilled. Pulling our trailer would have gotten us about 8 mpg and cost of around 1500.00 for gas. We only spent 1400.00 on our first Disney trip!!!

We went over to Ft. W to eat at Trails End and it was pretty full in the loops. We went on Sunday for lunch for Fathers Day and Monday night again. We saw very few open sites. It is still cheaper than a room and buying all your food, but when the cost of your gas is about the same as your tickets....then that is too high.

Our next Disney trip will be in January for a conference and we will book a flight and hope we can get a good price. This is so rediculous.

tys_mommy
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I really don’t see the price of fuel dropping drastically so as long as we have our camper payment we will continue to use it. I was not happy about spending $800 in fuel for our April trip but I always budget high and build in a little extra for our big trips. At the same time for our weekend get-aways I have been narrowing our selections to those that are within a 150 mile radius.

RocklandRVers
06-24-2008, 10:15 AM
You know what...NOTHING is going to stop us from going in December!! When we bought our new RV (Class B) we knew gas mileage would be an issue and that gas prices would only rise. It was part of the factoring into our budget. What we have done is to cut back on our every weekend local camping trips and space them out to about once a month.

We made the decision long ago that WDW/FtW would be at least an annual event and so far we have made it come true. Although we may cut back on the parks some to save costs, we will increase visits to the resorts, which at Christmas time are beautiful attractions in themselves.

As long as I can swipe my card and pump my gas, I will keep making a Disney trek even if is $10.00 a gallon. :secret: (just don't tell OPEC)

diz_girl
06-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm hoping that because we're going in the winter, diesel prices will have leveled off or maybe even gone down a little.

Diesel prices coming down in the winter would be an anomaly. Diesel prices usually go down in the summer and and then become higher in the winter. Diesel is a type 2 distillate, like home heating oil, so there is higher demand in the colder months, resulting in higher prices.

Since there are few passenger vehicles (not including pickups) in the U.S. that run on diesel, diesel doesn't have the same price cycle as gasoline. The cycle of diesel prices is that they would be at their lowest in the summer, start to increase in the autumn (due to the fall harvest and then when people fuel their oil tanks at home), peak at the winter because of home heating oil being at it's highest demand, and then decrease after spring planting.

I've owned a diesel VW for the past three plus years and this has pretty much been my experience. With fuel prices increasing at a ridiculous rate for the past year, diesel prices should level off over the summer, but come winter they should go even higher than they are now and become really painful.

LKCEmom
06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
You know what...NOTHING is going to stop us from going in December!!
We made the decision long ago that WDW/FtW would be at least an annual event and so far we have made it come true. Although we may cut back on the parks some to save costs, we will increase visits to the resorts, which at Christmas time are beautiful attractions in themselves.

I agree with you 1,000 %! While fuel prices are making us change the way we do things and limiting where or how often we go we're just not giving up, yet. Christmas away from Fort Wilderness would be like peanutbutter and jelly for Thanksgiving or 'trick or treating' for rocks.
I'm sorry to those whe have had to cancel but hopefully you will get to reschedule in the near future.

barnaby
06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Diesel prices coming down in the winter would be an anomaly. Diesel prices usually go down in the summer and and then become higher in the winter. Diesel is a type 2 distillate, like home heating oil, so there is higher demand in the colder months, resulting in higher prices.

Since there are few passenger vehicles (not including pickups) in the U.S. that run on diesel, diesel doesn't have the same price cycle as gasoline. The cycle of diesel prices is that they would be at their lowest in the summer, start to increase in the autumn (due to the fall harvest and then when people fuel their oil tanks at home), peak at the winter because of home heating oil being at it's highest demand, and then decrease after spring planting.

I've owned a diesel VW for the past three plus years and this has pretty much been my experience. With fuel prices increasing at a ridiculous rate for the past year, diesel prices should level off over the summer, but come winter they should go even higher than they are now and become really painful.

Also adding to the high price of diesel is the fact that all the power plants in China run on diesel. This causes high demand year-round.

murphy1
06-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I was talking to a CM when I got our hotel reserved and she said quite a few people have cancelled at FW. I feel bad for anyone this happened to, this might be the only vacation that some people were taking this year and probably the one they most look forward to.

NJ Camper
07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
unfortunely we have cancelled all other trips our camper will be making one trip to the fort this year and probably won't go anywhere else yeah becuase of gas we made our trip to FW longer since we have APs that are still good we are going to pay the same for gas if we stay for a few days or 15 so we opted for cancelling all other trips and extending our 10 day trip to a 15 and that will be our only vacation instead of a smaller disney and several long weekends just hope gas levels off or don't think it will happen but dropping would be great

Auntie
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
unfortunely we have cancelled all other trips our camper will be making one trip to the fort this year and probably won't go anywhere else yeah becuase of gas we made our trip to FW longer since we have APs that are still good we are going to pay the same for gas if we stay for a few days or 15 so we opted for cancelling all other trips and extending our 10 day trip to a 15 and that will be our only vacation instead of a smaller disney and several long weekends just hope gas levels off or don't think it will happen but dropping would be great

I don't think you're alone in your thinking. I've been hearing quite a bit of the same. The gas may not stop people from going to the Fort, but they are cutting back in other ways to make the trip happen. Many are vacationing closer to home or not at all. Makes sense to exend the trip for as long as you can, considering..as you say the gas is going to cost you the same whether you stay for a short time or a longer trip of 15 days. May as well get your monies worth! Enjoy your trip!

bpsigler
07-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Our family did the Disney Cruise this past April, so that was a big part of our budget. It took us over a year to save for the cruise, which was actually two years, if your consider they resie we made a year ahead of time. SHrotly after the cruise, we purchased a travel trailer, which we hoped to tow up north for our vacation this July. Gas prices did change that, so we our doing a staycation at FW and making the best of it. More money saved for the AIG account to do this full time.:mickey:

tink'72
07-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I feel your pain with the fuel prices. I didn't cancel our trip (we leave in 14 days:cloud9:) BUT I did cancel most of our sit down meals. We usually do a character dinner each night and now we are only doing 4 or 5. Last year it only cost me 350.00 round trip in gas to drive (1326 miles) this year AAA estimates it's going to cost $627.00:mad:.

RocklandRVers
08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
We are still committed to getting our Disney fix this Christmas. :thumbsup: Our plan is to spend time elaborately decorating our site, doing more BBQing and eating out less to save money. We also have some old tickets with some plusses left on them to do a waterpark or Pleasure Island as well. We also plan on towing down a car so we don't have to rent one. All this should offset the extra gas prices. Who knows what may happen. Depending on the election in November we might see gas prices a little lower or at least stable. :ack:

LKCEmom
08-28-2008, 11:10 AM
We are still committed to getting our Disney fix this Christmas.

RocklandRVers, just curious, do you stay in the same loop every Christmas? Through the years we have met so many familys that are there the same time every year, just wondering if we've met.

RocklandRVers
08-29-2008, 11:11 AM
We usually prefer the 1900 loop and request it each time we go. We liked it because it is farther away from the action and tended to be less busy and more quiet. That has changed a bit since the massive cutting down of the foliage and trees in the loops and between sites that gave us a sense of privacy and reduced the noise. When we were there in February, we could see clear across to the 1600, 1700 and 1800 loops. When the foliage was thick we couldn't see the comfort station and not much beyond a site right next door or across the way. Still we like 1900 and will continue to ask for it.