PDA

View Full Version : 2008 DDP better than I expected!

laprana
06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
We just returned from a great WDW trip from May 29 to June 9, and we had the basic DDP for our trip. I was a little worried about how this new DDP would work for our family. We had been on the DDP in 2006 and 2007 (twice) and really enjoyed it with the appetizers and the tips included, so we were skeptical about how great it would be without those things. And, we were leery of how good of a bargain it would be for our group (4 adults) since we had to pay out of pocket for the tips. The good news is that, at least for our group, the new DDP was great! We had very few problems at all with it and any problem we had was pretty minor.

It turned out that we didn't really miss the appetizers at all for our TS meals. In fact, we all commented several times that we didn't feel so stuffed at the end of the meal as we did with the apps. The only thing we did miss was trying new apps that we would have tried on the old DDP (of course, we could have just paid OOP for anything we really wanted to try!).

The tip situation turned out to be no big deal at all for us. We only had one instance where our waiter asked us how we wanted to pay for the tip when he brought us our bill. It was at the Coral Reef, and we could tell that he was really embarrassed and felt pretty bad about having to ask. In fact, after we told him we'd be leaving cash, he apologized for asking and said the only reason he did was because his manager told all the servers they have to ask now. But, we didn't experience that at any of the other 10 TS places we ate. We just got the bill, paid with our key to the world, and left a cash tip with our signed receipt. No problem at all! There wasn't much consistency with how the servers addressed the tip situation at the TS places we went to. Sometimes there would be a card in the bill holder that said tips were no longer included. Sometimes the server mentioned it up front when they were explaining what came with our DDP. Sometimes there was no mention of it at all, except for the suggested tip amounts of 18% and 20% printed on the bill. And then there was the one case where the server asked how we wanted to pay for it. It does seem like they should come up with something consistent that is used at all the TS places.

We noticed a significant improvement in the service we received from the past 2 years on the DDP. I really believe that this is diretly related to the tips no longer being included in the plan. The only place we had a pretty poor waiter was at Crystal Palace, but everywhere else we had excellent servers. Maybe we just got lucky? But I really think it's because we could decide how much tip we left.

The only real problem we had with the DDP was the snack credits. Before, we had always had a lot of credits at the end of the trip and we just used them to get bags of candy (Like Goofy's Candy Co. gummies, chewy Sprees, etc.) or snacks (like bags of Chip 'N Dale's pretzels or cheese crackers) to take home with us on the plane. Unfortunately, you can't do this anymore. They have changed the rules for snack credits from anything under $4, and now snacks can only be something that is a single serving and under $4. This means snack credits are now only good for things like small candy bars, sodas, bottles of water, Dole Whips, frozen lemonades, etc. I tried to get a $1.75 candy bar that was actually two pieces in one package, and I couldn't have it because it was technically more than 1 serving. They are really strict about it, too, but the resorts seem to be a tiny bit more lenient than the parks. We were pretty bummed about the new snack credit rules.

We still wish that Disney had reduced the DDP price more than $1 with all the changes they made to it this year, but overall, it was still a good value for our family and saved us some money. Not as much as before, but some is better than none. :thumbsup: I'm anxious to see what they come up with for the 2009 version!

Gator
06-12-2008, 03:24 PM
That worries me about the snack credits. I hope I'm able to get whatever I want and don't have any hang ups. That wouldn't seem very Disney.

princessgirls
06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Good to know!

Julie:mickey:

Lynn J Mc
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Yuck - we used to get grapes at the resort as a snack. I hope we can still do that.

Hope0277
06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Yuck - we used to get grapes at the resort as a snack. I hope we can still do that.

We were staying at the WL in May and they still had bowls of grapes that were considered a snack option. :)

MMouse6937
06-12-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm a little worried about the snack credits myself. Can you still get a carmel apple at Goofy's Candy Co? That's really my favorite thing. I guess beyond that we were pretty good at being able to use them for drinks, ect. Thanks for the info, sounds like it will be a good thing for us! :thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
We used several snack credits for chili cheese fries at Pecos Bills and for breadsticks at Pizzafari. Most side items on the QS menus are considered snack credits. If it doesn't have the symbol, don't hesitate to ask, the CM will gladly let you know.

laprana
06-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm a little worried about the snack credits myself. Can you still get a carmel apple at Goofy's Candy Co? That's really my favorite thing. I guess beyond that we were pretty good at being able to use them for drinks, ect. Thanks for the info, sounds like it will be a good thing for us! :thumbsup:

My Dbf was able to use a snack on a caramel apple in the candy shop on Main Street in MK, but I'm not sure about Goofy's Candy Co. The only thing was that he could only get a plain caramel apple - no nuts or any other toppings. Two CMs at the register were actually arguing with each other about whether he could have one with nuts or not. I don't think either one was really sure, so they only let him have one without nuts. :confused: It seemed like there was a lot of confusion on the CMs' part as to what did or didn't count as a snack.

The snack thing was the only really disappointing thing about the new DDP, at least to us. It was really confusing and a little frustrating trying to find things we could use the snack credits on. Just about everything we tried we were told, "No, that's not a snack." One CM told us that if anything says "Fun to Share" on it, then it doesn't count as a snack. Well, just about everything says that on it, even the small bags of candy! We finally just started looking at the backs of everything for the serving sizes, and if it said it was more than one serving, we put it back down. I think this aspect of the DDP definitely still needs some ironing out.

laprana
06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
We definitely learned that we need to use our snack credits every day instead of letting them pile up till the end of the trip! We have just always been so full from the CS and TS meals, that we didn't really want to use the snack credits. But now, any time we want a bottle of water or a soda, we're definitely going to use those snacks for that because we found out the hard way that those are a little better use of the snack credits than a $1.00 candy bar! We had always just paid OOP for water or soda and saved our snack credits for something better! :secret:

dolphinmickey9170
06-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I just finished a bag of cashews from WDW that said Fun to Share on it and we got it for a snack credit. It was on an end cap with a sign that said Disney Dining Plan snack credits. It was $2.50, it actually is three servings. I guesss it just depends on who is running the cash register that day.:confused:

MMouse6937
06-12-2008, 05:24 PM
That really seems like the case. My mom last year was able to get bulk candy at the store in the AK. The CM told her as long as the total was under $4 she could use it as a snack credit. She tried to do the same thing at Goofy's and was told she couldn't. :confused: I guess we'll just wing it like always!!

AHOTE
06-13-2008, 12:39 AM
The only real problem we had with the DDP was the snack credits. Before, we had always had a lot of credits at the end of the trip and we just used them to get bags of candy (Like Goofy's Candy Co. gummies, chewy Sprees, etc.) or snacks (like bags of Chip 'N Dale's pretzels or cheese crackers) to take home with us on the plane.

I'm just wondering, if you can't save your snack credits up and use them on your last day will there be a problem if we try to use them all in one day during our stay??? We use all our snack credits to buy sample portions at the Food & Wine festival. We eat and sample wines & beer all day long and if by any chance we're still hungry we have a CS meal late. The TS meal credit for that day goes to a signature restaurant late in the trip. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this will work out. :confused:

laprana
06-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm just wondering, if you can't save your snack credits up and use them on your last day will there be a problem if we try to use them all in one day during our stay??? We use all our snack credits to buy sample portions at the Food & Wine festival. We eat and sample wines & beer all day long and if by any chance we're still hungry we have a CS meal late. The TS meal credit for that day goes to a signature restaurant late in the trip. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this will work out. :confused:

You can still save them up and use them all at once, or spread them out during your trip. Thankfully that hasn't changed! It's just the kinds of snacks you can get that has changed.

Dsnygirl
06-13-2008, 09:38 AM
I was going to post this question somewhere else, but hopefully it'll fit in here w/ all the discussion about snack credits, and someone will see it! :)

So - my big question - can we get a :bar: with our snack credit?? That's all we want, one :bar: per day... guess I've been assuming we could, but now you've got me wondering...

... anybody know? :thanks:

DisneyWhirled
06-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I was going to post this question somewhere else, but hopefully it'll fit in here w/ all the discussion about snack credits, and someone will see it! :)

So - my big question - can we get a :bar: with our snack credit?? That's all we want, one :bar: per day... guess I've been assuming we could, but now you've got me wondering...

... anybody know? :thanks:

Yes, you definitely can!! We spent many a snack credit on these during our trip!

It seems funny, usually we have some snack credits left at the end to spend, but we somehow managed to eat every one of them on our vacation...maybe its because we were not so full from the TS meals! We split CS meals, too, giving us some for breakfasts as well.

Dsnygirl
06-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Yes, you definitely can!! We spent many a snack credit on these during our trip!

It seems funny, usually we have some snack credits left at the end to spend, but we somehow managed to eat every one of them on our vacation...maybe its because we were not so full from the TS meals! We split CS meals, too, giving us some for breakfasts as well.
:thanks: Thank you, thank you - you've set my heart at ease!! (We are scarily attached to those crazy little bars... and totally looking forward to not having to shell out the $$ every single time!! :blush:)

That's a good idea for the CS meals... hadn't thought of that!! :thumbsup:

I see you're going on the Magic next October for the first time - we're going on the Wonder next October for the first time, too!! Hope you have a great trip!! :D (And where are you from in Maine? I just read Dolphinmickey's note that he's travelling to Biddeford with you... I grew up visiting Maine every summer, and we're headed to York again this year -- can't wait!!)