PDA

View Full Version : Renting Points

Dedivah
06-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure if I am allowed to ask this, but I don't know any other way to get the information I need.

How do I go about renting points from a DVC memeber? How long can we stay?

My family of 4 are planning a WDW trip in July 09 for 10 nights to celebrate my DD's 5th birthday. My 2 nephews, 16 and 14, will be going with us.

So far I have been looking into getting 2 rooms or a suite at ASMu, however, I believe we will be more comfortable at one of the vacation clubs but we am can't afford the 200+ per night.

Dh and I are timeshare owners but not with WDW and are not allowed to transfer in due to our timeshare being in Orlando. We do not know any DVC owners personally. Unfortunately, when we bought the timeshare we have no clue about DVC and only wanted to be closer to Disney. Had we known that we could not transfer in due to the location of our timeshare we would have opted for a membership out of state. (Knowledge Is Power)

Any help will greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

WRWDisney
06-12-2008, 03:35 PM
A couple of points and then I'll give you some cost thoughts. If you arrive on the 9th and stay for 10 nights, that will put you on property on weekend nights for 4 of your 10 nights. Weekend nights cost over 2x's the number of points as weeknights. If you shifted to arrive on a Tuesday instead of a Thursday, you could still stay 10 nights, but only two would be weekend nights (defined as Friday or Saturday night).

The second point is that by coming in July, you are coming in the second most expensive block of time (behind only X-mas/spring break). I know this may not be negotiable, but thought it was at least worth mentioning.

Third, by bringing six people you will need a two-bedroom, minimum.

That all said, points generally rent for $10/point. You would need 472 pts. (appx. $4720) for a two bedroom at OKW (probably the lowest number of points; all other resorts would require more points) for the nights you mentioned. If you shifted your arrival like I suggested, that would save you 86 pts. or $860.

A final option would be to rent points for two studios. Again at OKW, that would be 348 pts ($3480) for your original dates or 284 pts. ($2840) on the revised dates I mentioned.

You mentioned not being able to afford the $200+ for the DVC rooms. You cannot even get a DVC studio for $200/ night. Two bedrooms have a rack rate of near $800/ night, so you would be saving a great deal, but you are still talking $400/nigh (appx.)

As to how to rent pts. there are other boards that do that and they have great FAQ's; but suffice it to say that it can be a great deal, but involves a great deal of trust.

Good luck:thumbsup:

wendy*darling
06-12-2008, 04:48 PM
:ditto: Excellent answer!

If you are still interested in renting points, we do not do that here on Intercot. Just do an Internet search for "DVC point rentals" and you should be able to find a discussion board that handles that very transaction.

A 2 bedroom in the summer is going to still cost a lot of money- although way less than if you paid cash for the reservation.

But- if you are hoping to spend less than $200/night- I not even the Family Suite at All Stars are that low. 2008 rates are $250/nt on weekdays in July and $270/nt on the weekends.
You could get 2 regular rooms at a Value for $109/weekdays & $119/weekends for each room- that's as close to $200/night you are going to get, I'm afraid.

DVC Mike
06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Be sure and read the thread below:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122549

Dedivah
06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

I know I would get the answers that I needed here. You guys are the best!

WRWDisney ~ I will be looking into changing my dates to July 6-16. I really does not matter what day we get in just as long as we are in for our DDs birthday which is the 12. Traveling on those days will make the airline tickets cheaper as well. :high5:

Wendy ~ I will be looking into the ASMu Suite or either 2 rooms at POP (my favorite Value)

Mike ~ That post is awesome. I printed it out so that I can keep it for reference.