PDA

View Full Version : Stimulus Check/Death?

JanetMegan
06-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I have tried to look this up and can't find the answer anywhere and can't get a real person on the phone. If a person has passed away since filing their 2007 taxes, do we need to send the stiumus check back or does the estate get to retain the money?

SteveL
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I would think that it depends upon the date of death vs the date of issue, much like social security and the railroad retirement checks.

Hull-onian
06-12-2008, 07:05 PM
We never got a check period. Hmmmph!!:(

ElenitaB
06-12-2008, 07:07 PM
DH died during 2007, and when I filed his taxes it was to my understanding that I, as the person handling his financial affairs, would be receiving his stimulus check. It's now mid-June and I've yet to see either his check or the stimulus check. I guess I should call and ask, huh? Funny how they're quick to take your money but not so quick to give it back. ;)

brownie
06-13-2008, 09:22 AM
From irs.gov:

Q. If an individual dies, what happens to his or her direct deposit or stimulus check?

A. Stimulus payments will be issued in the name of the individual eligible for payment on a filed 2007 income tax return or to the account designated by the individual on that return. This includes situations where a person dies after filing a return or where the final 2007 income tax return was filed by a personal representative or surviving spouse. Any issues or concerns involving a decedent's filed return or the related stimulus payment should be addressed by the legal representative of the decedent's estate. See Publication 559 for more useful information for survivors and personal representatives. [Updated 3/17/08]

Dakota Rose
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
You can go to irs.gov and click on When will I get my stimulus check? Then enter the SS# and it will tell you when the check will be issued. They're issuing paper checks until mid-July, so it could still be coming.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-15-2008, 01:03 AM
And don't believe them when they say if you filed and got your refund by direct deposit that the stimulus check would be direct deposited also. According to the SS website I should have received mine on May 16. When I called the # to check on it, the recording said it would be a check and would be released on June 12. Well I got a live check on the June 12 along with a seperate letter telling me that my check would be mailed shortly!
I don't have an answer to the original question but I would assume that it would become part of the estate.
And I'm sorry for your loss.