PDA

View Full Version : Thrill RIdes vs. Dark Rides?

Jeff G
06-12-2008, 12:23 PM
This poll question is if you were able to have an influence over an Imagineer would you prefer that they create new "dark rides" (ie- HM, POC, Spaceship Earth) or "thrill rides" (ie - EE, RNR)?

It seems over the years the trend at WDW has been to add thrill rides and rides that cater to older kids and adults with very little emphasis on dark rides and rides that cater to families. For example if you travel to AK the Safari is the only family appropriate ride (Dinosaur, EE, Kahli River Rapids & Primeval Whirl all have height requirements) and at EPCOT family friendly rides have been replaced with Mission Space, Test Track and Soarin' all of which have height requirements.

One of the biggest reasons our family fell in love with WDW was the fact that many of the rides accommodated all riders. Some examples; POC, HM, Peter Pan, Spaceship Earth, Horizons.

It seems that the imagineers have all but ignored the classic dark ride that made WDW great and switched to a thrill ride mentality. Is it in Disney's best interest to be another Six Flags? I know the thrill rides are the supposed draw yet my family could easily spend an entire day at the MK without riding a thrill ride and enjoy the park. That's not the case at AK nor future world at EPCOT.

My parents are another demographic WDW has been missing with the new trend. They enjoy rides but are not thrill ride enthusiasts. On an average trip they miss most of the new rides such as EE, RNR, Kahli, Mission Space, TOT. They commented recently that WDW needs to refocus on adding slower rides and don't care for the AK becasue of the ride selections.

I am hoping that in the future WDW Imagineers go back to the basics with a few new rides and buck the growing trend.

RBrooksC
06-12-2008, 12:36 PM
While this is true, Disney has to be flexible and flow with the times. Thrill rides are what bring people to the parks. Now, I am not talking about those who love Disney and for what it stands but those who just like amusement parks in general.

Now when it comes to the new family rides with height restrictions much of that is because of litigation happy people and tort lawyers. Disney has to protect itself so many of those restrictions are in place for the protection of Disney more so than the protection of the public.

I actually really enjoy the dark rides and have since I was a little boy going to Wildwood, NJ each summer. When I go to Disney we always ride the Fantasyland dark rides first. However, taking a child on a thrill ride for the first time and that first time being a Disney thrill ride is something that I am already excited about and it is at least three years away.

Marilyn Michetti
06-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh honey, at our age, a dark ride IS a thrill ride if we can get into the little car without falling into the water, or having to have them stop the WHOLE ride, while we get on !:cool:

bruin1344
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
tough choice, that is the best part of disney is the nice combo of both compared to six flags, busch gardens or universal which have too many thrills

Marker
06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Difficult question to answer. I think a balance is best. However, I vote for dark rides because I think that's one of the things that make WDW unique in a world of thrill rides.

drummerboy
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Now when it comes to the new family rides with height restrictions much of that is because of litigation happy people and tort lawyers. Disney has to protect itself so many of those restrictions are in place for the protection of Disney more so than the protection of the public.
Or one could say that people have started caring about the safety of others because of the tort lawyers. How about we just talk about ride preferences without the slams?

Oh honey, at our age, a dark ride IS a thrill ride if we can get into the little car without falling into the water, or having to have them stop the WHOLE ride, while we get on !:cool:

:rotfl:

Difficult question to answer. I think a balance is best. However, I vote for dark rides because I think that's one of the things that make WDW unique in a world of thrill rides.

Which would also be my answer. :thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I went with Dark Rides. However I don't want there to be an emphasis on either. I like a nice balance of dark rides and thrill rides. I don't like one more than the other. I love the HM and POTC as much as RNRC and M:S. I love the variety of attractions and entertainment that Disney has to offer. It is unlike any other park. Their thrill rides aren't like any other park either. I grew up going to Cedar Point, Kings Island, Geauga Lake and Sea World. Now I live near Six Flags. None of these parks can compare their thrill rides to Disney. They are completely different. Disney offers amazing theming to their rides that are nothing like the thrill rides of these other parks.

Jasper
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM
You know, even though I personally prefer the dark rides and even though I can no longer ride the thrill rides because of extensive back problems I do think Disney has actually been bringing some balance back to the parks by adding some of the new thrill rides in recent years. Prior to some of the rides like Everest, Mission Space, and some of the other new ones there really weren't many thrill rides at Walt Disney World. Granted, I think they can back off the thrill rides now and go back to the dark side but all in all I think Disney has actually added balance where it didn't exist before.

RBrooksC
06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Or one could say that people have started caring about the safety of others because of the tort lawyers. How about we just talk about ride preferences without the slams?

When it is the truth it isn't a slam.

laward32
06-12-2008, 03:17 PM
I love thrill rides, but I had to go with dark rides. To me they are what Disney is all about, to live the story. Whether it came from a movie or just a concept telling a story. I do wish they would create a new dark ride in the very near future.:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Well I'm not sure I totally agree that Disney isn't doing new 'dark' rides. They are doing family friendly. In the last few years they have done Finding Nemo, Pooh, Mickey's Philharmagic, Laugh Factory, and now Toy Story Mania.

I think, like Jasper, that by doing rides like EE that they are improving the balance. I did vote for a dark ride though because when they do these right they do them very well and it does make Disney different from the other parjs.

GrmGrninGost
06-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I enjoy my thrill rides, but deep down, I'm a "dark ride" individual! :mickey:

Gator
06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
If Disney does the Thrill Ride, I have to go with that. Most of the time, the thrill rides have all the great theming of dark rides, but with a little added excitement. Of course, now that I have kids, I have to be content with just the dark rides for now.

Crow
06-12-2008, 09:56 PM
dark rides, theming for me
i dont mind thrill rides, but what sets WDW apart is the theming

elmjimmlm
06-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Dark rides are what I like the best...The rest of my family would vote for the thrill...:mickey:

tjstrike
06-13-2008, 03:31 AM
I voted for thrill rides but I like a combo, a dark, thrill ride like RNRC.

RAIDER
06-13-2008, 03:45 AM
I voted for thrill rides ...i love to smile during the ride rather than shut me eyes and pray for the ending on a dark :blush:

Mousemates
06-13-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure this question works for WDW, because Disney tends to blur the two things into one...for what many people call a thrill ride at WDW is often really a dark ride with an exciting drop near the end. (I.e. everything before the elevator shaft drops on ToT is pure dark ride....as is most of SplMntn with the exception of BR'r Rabbit being thrown into the briar patch, take out the big drop where the T-Rex tries to chomp off your head and Dinasaur is dark ride too)....so I vote for the thrilling disney dark ride:D.

Septbride2002
06-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Tough Poll - I like the combo rides like Splash - a dark ride with a thrill at the end. I like the dark rides for my daughter's experience, but I like the thrill rides for me.

~Amanda

Jeff G
06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure this question works for WDW, because Disney tends to blur the two things into one...for what many people call a thrill ride at WDW is often really a dark ride with an exciting drop near the end. (I.e. everything before the elevator shaft drops on ToT is pure dark ride....as is most of SplMntn with the exception of BR'r Rabbit being thrown into the briar patch, take out the big drop where the T-Rex tries to chomp off your head and Dinasaur is dark ride too)....so I vote for the thrilling disney dark ride:D.

From the posts I've read most people consider a dark ride to be along the lines of Peter Pan, HM, POC, Space Ship Earth, JIYI & IASW to name a few and tend to be non adventorous and for the entire family.

The thrill rides at WDW are themed but I wouldn't consider TT, EE, Space Mountain, TOT or BTR dark rides even though they have great themeing. Not everyone can ride these based on height and health restrictions.

With my question I guess I'm asking if you would you like to see rides similar to POC, PP & HM or EE, Kahli & TOT. One of these groups caters to almost all riders regardless of height and health while the other limits who can ride.

(I do agree that Splash Mountain is a great combo dark/thrill ride:thumbsup:)

beksy
06-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I think that balance is the key. I love both types of rides and the way Disney does theming makes all Disney rides unique from those found in other parks. Even the thrill rides have theming that make them better than the rides at other parks. I especially like the ones like Splash, too, that combine the dark ride with a little thrill! :thumbsup:

italiangrl.08
06-13-2008, 06:59 PM
well think about it most of the time dark rides have got a bit of thrill in them and the really good thrill rides are in the dark- HELLO ROCKIN ROLLER COSTER?!?!?! love that ride and combines them both!!!!!
:mickey::number1:

CandleontheWater
06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
While I do enjoy thrill rides, and I think Disney does thrills exceptionally well, I do wish that they would create more dark rides. If I really want thrills, I'll go down the street to that "other" park. I go to Disney for the detail and fantasy that only they can create. You can get rollercoasters anywhere, and dueling dragons is pretty neat when it comes to theming, but you can't get classics like HM and PoTC anywhere else. I'd really love to see Disney put in another large scale dark ride, along the lines of Horizons or the Great Movie Ride.

4ubie1
06-16-2008, 10:26 AM
More dark rides would be excellent! I was really sad when I heard they closed down WoM and Horizons. I think rides that have more of a story line and a quiet ride through would be nice. I wonder what the theme of the ride would be :secret:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I am a total thrill-ride wimp, so I voted for the dark rides.

What I love about Disney is that they do dark rides so well, they don't feel like "kiddie-rides" so someone like me can go and enjoy as well as those who like the thrill rides.

CU Tiger
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I like if you can combine them. ToT is an example of a dark ride that has a big thrill at the end. I enjoy it more if the ride has a theme associated with it than just a ride. DW does a good job making most rides have a theme, unlike Six flags where they just have roller coasters with fun names.

alilprincessmom99
06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I love a good thrill ride, but I think the emphasis should be on dark rides that are suitable for people of all ages.

Hull-onian
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Dark rides are my preference. I think thrill rides are better for the kids, they have no fear.

ParkMan
06-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I echo earlier comments - a balance is best.

That said - I'd love to see Disney focus on some dark rides that "wow" me in some new ways. The recent run of new thrill rides produced some great rides. I'd just like to see them turn that creativity into a world class modern dark ride.

WEDTOPIA
06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
The only thing about this question that makes it even slightly tough for me is the fact that Disney themes it's thrill rides and most of them have the dark ride aspect, so they can't compare to any other parks.
Expedition Everest ,Big Thunder ,Splash , Test Track , ToT , RnR, Space Mountain , and Dinosaur are all Thrill / Dark rides.
I certainly wouldn't mind more thrill rides , but Disney's bread and butter is wrapped up in the dark rides. No one on earth can compete with them. So , yeah , I'm going with dark rides.

:mickey: