PDA

View Full Version : No ADR's ...am I crazy?

Hair_Razor
06-12-2008, 11:41 AM
So here's the deal my husband and I are doing a solo trip from Sept. 28 through Oct. 3rd. We took the whole family in February and did the full preplanned week. We are doing the F&W sans the fam and I just can't bring myself to plan anything least of all ADR's. Here's the question since it's the F&W fest will it be so busy that I have to plan ahead or because it's just the 2 of us do you think we could wing it? :wine:

wendy*darling
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
If you plan to do a number of meals at the F&WF, and you do NOT have the DDP, and you don't mind counter service when you can't walk in many places- then you should be fine.

If you have your heart set on anywhere- make the ADR.

Don't forget- this time period is at the tail end of the free DDP, so people who check in on the last day of the offer will still have up to 10 days of ADRs and will still be filling the restaurants.

We will be there the very same time- 2 adult couples, no kids. We want to try a number of Signature places- so we made ADRs.
But, if all that is important is to graze the World Showcase kiosks- then you should be OK.

KineGirl
06-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Im going that same time just my DD18 and myself and we made zero ADRs because we want to fully partake in the F&W fest nightly/daily and because like you, we have a family July trip planned to the hilt. We may do one of the event dinings or party for the senses but since the particulars havent been released yet we are just winging it right now. But if you have you heart set on a particular restaurant I would make a ressie since like the PP stated, it is the tail end of free DDPs

Have fun! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
06-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Don't know for sure but I'm betting if you don't make ADR's during the free dining period, you will be eating all counter service. :confused:

Seasonscraps
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Don't know for sure but I'm betting if you don't make ADR's during the free dining period, you will be eating all counter service. :confused:

Pretty close - that was my experience last year during the free dining period. We had counter service and had a couple of meals at ESPN since they don't take ADRs.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
If you are fine with just CS and snacking at the F&W festival then you're good to go. If you want to sit down to eat....I think you'll be out of luck. We were there the same time last year and saw people constantly being turned away. You might be able to eat at a place that isn't on DDP but I don't know.

Hair_Razor
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that free dining went through Sept. I thought it was August. Anyway I guess should look into maybe one or two. I guess I won't be too upset if I can't get something I guess there will be lots of F&W options. Thanks for the help.

Lynn J Mc
06-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Don't get the dining plan if you don't want to do ADRs. Then plan to only eat at the kiosks and you'll be fine. Last May there were limited TS seatings because the DP is so popular even when you have to pay for it.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I wasn't going to make ADR's for our entire trip (at about the same time as yours) because DD didn't want trip that planed out. But after reading the boards I was convinced it was necessary. Now at least I'm sure we have a place to sit down and we can always cancle if we change our minds. :mickey:Just my :twocents:

Figment52
06-13-2008, 01:23 AM
DD and I are doing the same thing - we'll be there mid October. Last trip, we did the free dining and planned everything but one meal - and it took the fun and spontaneity out of so much of the trip. Waiting around for your slot to open up can **** up so much time from your day. Even DD, who is a planning freak, didn't like such a controlled trip.

So this time we opted to skip the free dining, and the whole DDP all together, and will maybe do one or two ADRs for some favorite places. Of course, we don't mind eating CS, so this won't be a problem. Plus, with F&W, there is plenty to snack on during the day.

But if you don't make ADRs and find once you get there that you want to do a TS, it is possible. We left one TS credit open last time to wing it once we got there. It was free, afterall, so we didn't lose anything if we couldn't get a table. As soon as we got to MK on our last day, we went straight to City Hall and were able to get ressies at the Plaza Restaurant no problem. Probably no way you could do it for a more popular place, but it is possible to get last minute ressies - even during free dining.

TBY2225
06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Make ADR's! Those dates are on the tail end of regular free dining, but, with those of us who booked last year with the bounce-back free dining the dates actually run longer. We are checking in on September 27th and have free dining through October 4th. I am wondering if they didn't offer those dates to the public because it is already expected to be busier those dates with all the bounceback people!

Madame Leona
06-13-2008, 04:07 PM
We are going to be there at the same time. I made two adrs for character dining (we have two young ds's so it's a must) but I'm winging it the rest of the time. As long as you are flexible, you shouldn't have any problems. We usually don't make a lot of adrs and have never been disappointed.

irish1967
06-13-2008, 07:49 PM
If there are TS meals you really want to experience, yes, you are crazy.

If you don't care if you eat CS the entire time - you are not crazy!

mel646
06-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Me, DH and DS have gone to DW every year for the last 10. I have never made more than 2 Adrs for the week. I always call the morning of and usually get within 30 min. of my requested time. Last year it was the end of Free Dining. This year we are going Sept.27-Oct.4. Ignore the naysayers, be flexible, go have fun and don't worry.

SurferStitch
06-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Being realistic here.....

If you have certain places you want to eat at, you WILL need ADR's. We saw at almost all of the places we dined at in the past couple years, many people being turned away at the podium (Le Cellier, Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, Brown Derby, Teppan Edo, character breakfasts, Liberty Tree Tavern dinner, Coral Reef dinner, etc.)

Heck, even back in October 2005 we tried to score a second dinner at Narcoossee's at the end of our trip, about 4 days out. We were staying GF concierge, and thought it wouldn't be a problem. In the 4 days leading up to that last night, we couldn't get anything (and boy, did we keep trying). And that was supposed to be a slow time!

If you're not picky, you can probably get a table at the less popular places, but if I'm spending a good chunk of change on dinner, it's going to be exactly where I want it to be.

Hair_Razor
06-26-2008, 11:34 AM
I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it. Our resort has a kitchen so we will always be able to do that. Thanks for all the feedback it has been really helpful. Thats why I love Intercot :rocks:

#1donaldfan
06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
I much, much, much rather do it "fly by night" kinda way, but it's certainly getting to the point where ressies are a must. I like going at my pace, go wherever, whenever, and eating something good when I want it...not planned 180 days before.....I cannot stand "worring" about what park, on what day, 'cause of dinner ressies......

.....I've been transformed into just that type of traveler though, we have adr's ready for our 180 days, which is in the next couple of days.....so by the end of next week, I'll know what park I'll be in, and what time it'll be when I'm there.....oh well.......we'll be at Disney ..... YEAH !!:cool:

Marilyn Michetti
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
We usually make two of three ADR's, but the rest of the time, it's "where" and "when". We have so much more time without them, and (frankly), we always enjoy what we get, even if it's just a snack. Chicken strips and fries work for me.:cloud9:

Save lots of $$ too.:thumbsup:

Disoriented
06-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Absolutely not.

This will be our seventh consecutive food and wine festival. We usually only make an adr if we want to eat at the California Grill, otherwise we just wing it and we rarely do counter service. We find that it's easier to find availability in the hotels and DTD, and don't forget about the Swan & Dolphin and Beaches & Cream.

There usually seems to be fair availability for day of dining in the parks if you know what you want to do before noon. After that it drops off pretty quickly.

Since it's just the two of you this trip I HIGHLY recommend trying Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian.