PDA

View Full Version : Rose & Crown opinions

Brainiak5
06-12-2008, 12:42 AM
we thought it would be fun to visit "enemy territory" :flag:on the 4th and made reservations for the Rose & Crown. has anyone eaten there before? opinions would be appreciated. We're a flexible family when it comes to food...even the kids aren't too fussy

the thought process was we heard the american pavilion is fun on the 4th and the kids can do nemo, soarin & test track so we're going to try to avoid hopping. we've never experienced british cooking ( outside of fish & chips..):mickey:

Sunshine1010
06-12-2008, 02:08 AM
I plan on going there in December, so I'm curious about the food also.

I've looked at some pics on the net, and it looks like I'm going to have to be adventurous.

But, if their fish and chips is anything like their counter service.......Yummers

TinkRocks
06-12-2008, 02:54 AM
This is just my opinion, so please don't base your decisions on this post.

I'm British and have lived all over England, Canada, and now reside in Florida.

The Rose and Crown is a decent place to go, and a great place to watch Illuminations. However, the food isn't 'spectacular' in my books.

Our family has had some mixed experiences at the Rose and Crown - Cast Members are great, beers / drinks good too. We weren't overly impressed with the food - there are a couple of decent choices on the menu, but we know what most (if not all) the items SHOULD taste like. On different occasions, we have ordered a variety of items and they don't quite fit the bill, so to speak. It's been a few years since we've been to the Rose and Crown, so maybe things have changed recently. All in all, I would go back to the Rose and Crown, but I'd sit and have a drink first and take a sneak peak at what others are eating to get a sense of what the popular dishes are.

Every time I walk past the UK pavilion, there is always a large group of Brits hanging out having a pint and grub. I find this fascinating that when you're on vacation, you'd want to try something new instead of the same selections you'd get at home. Our family always likes to try foods from different places - we've eaten at almost every country around the World Showcase.

I think you should try the Rose and Crown. If you know you enjoy a particular dish - great! It's great to see people wanting to try new things - you can create your own experiences from the place. I hope you really enjoy the UK Pavilion!

Natazu
06-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Enemy territory:funny::rotfl:

Rose and Crown (Table Service) ☺☺☺☻
We’ll go several trips and miss R&C, then we always wonder why we skipped it. The Samosas are excellent, so is the lump crab appetizer. You can’t ever go wrong with the fish & chips. The lamb with Guinness BBQ sauce and the orange chicken are unique and appetizing. This is a popular restaurant pre-Illuminations but don’t hold your breath for a patio table. They are harder to get then an NHS dental appointment.

mouseketeer mom
06-12-2008, 06:25 AM
We tried it there for the first time on our last trip. We resisted for awhile, my DH not being a fan of "English" cooking....:secret: We were really happily surprised. We were given a table in the corner by the lagoon. I had Bangers and Mash and an onion tart for an app. My kids all got the potato leek soup, and something else non British, and DH got fish and chips, which was HUGE. It was one of our nicest dining experiences. The food was really yummy, the atmosphere outside just delightful, and our server sweet and attentive and chattty. I however, know I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much inside. We went in for the restrooms, and didn't enjoy the whole rowdy pub atmosphere.

SurferStitch
06-12-2008, 06:40 AM
I'm glad to see some reviews here. DH and I will be dining there for the first time when we visit in October.

Thanks!

Jeri Lynn
06-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi,
We go to Rose & Crown at least every other trip. Personally although the food is good, I wouldn't say it was great. The servers are always great. I think what draws us to the R & C more than the food is watching Illuminations from there. We usually get our reservations for around 7:30pm.

RAIDER
06-12-2008, 07:31 AM
we thought it would be fun to visit "enemy territory" :flag:on the 4th and made reservations for the Rose & Crown. has anyone eaten there before? opinions would be appreciated. We're a flexible family when it comes to food...even the kids aren't too fussy

the thought process was we heard the american pavilion is fun on the 4th and the kids can do nemo, soarin & test track so we're going to try to avoid hopping. we've never experienced british cooking ( outside of fish & chips..):mickey:

Enemy Territory ..ummm methinks this is a spot of friendly fire :D:thedolls:

Tygger7
06-12-2008, 07:50 AM
We tried Rose & Crown for the first time on our most recent trip (May 2008). I must say, we were all pleasantly surprised. We were seated outside on the upper patio with a spectacular view of Illuminations. My DD15 thinks all the guys that work there are "a bit of alright", and in general the staff is fantastic. I have to say, it was probably the best service we received during our entire stay.

And the food...WOW! It was amazing! My DD had the bangers & mash and said it was fantastic. My DH had NY Strip with fish & chips, and loved everything....I also had the NY Strip and it was heavenly and cooked to perfection.

This immediately became a "must do" for every trip, and getting to see Illuminations without having to wait for hours in crowds was the icing on the cake.

SBETigg
06-12-2008, 07:53 AM
The atmosphere is fun, one of our favorites for hanging out with a drink and snack, not necessarily one of our favorites for dinner. For dinner, though, the food is good, not great, with the exception of the Bangers and Mash which are truly excellent. We usually have very good service here, too. I think it's a good choice.

disneydeb
06-12-2008, 07:54 AM
As a mom of 20 & 21 year old daughters, I know most children (US) have a bit of a rebellion before they they leave their mom (England), but they all come back to eat! (R&C):D

tink2006
06-12-2008, 08:18 AM
We have eaten there several times. I have to admit it is more for Illuminations (my favorite) than the food. Don't get me wrong, The food is good but it is not great. The service is wonderful, we always have a decent meal and Illuminations is a wonderful way to end an Epcot evening. However, It is getting harder and harder to snag a patio table. They do have an outside, standing room only area for their inside guests. Just let the waiter know and he/she will lead you to this area in time for the show.

mrp4352
06-12-2008, 09:07 AM
See, my family's the opposite. We don't like having the top of the fireworks cut off and the sound quality (to us) isn't very good there, so we like to eat really early, then move to our favorite viewing spot for Illuminations.

I highly recommend the cheese platter (the sweet onion jam is amazing) and I willingly join the club of Bangers and Mash lovers!

Have a great trip!

We have eaten there several times. I have to admit it is more for Illuminations (my favorite) than the food. Don't get me wrong, The food is good but it is not great. The service is wonderful, we always have a decent meal and Illuminations is a wonderful way to end an Epcot evening. However, It is getting harder and harder to snag a patio table. They do have an outside, standing room only area for their inside guests. Just let the waiter know and he/she will lead you to this area in time for the show.

Cathy S
06-12-2008, 09:10 AM
This has become one of our must dos on every trip. The mushroom appetizer is to die for; the fish and chips are great; the strip steak is so good; and the desserts like sticky toffy pudding and the Guiness chocolate cake are supberb. The service has always been exceptional and Illumuminations from there a treat. All in all -- a place I was reluctant to try has become a favorite.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
We love R&C, and eat there on each trip.

The service is the best we've had anywhere, they servers are always so friendly, quick, just amazing!

The food is good...the mushroom app is great, and in general the food is always good.

We like being able to watch illumiations, but have also been for lunch (just as good).

All in all, we really recommend it (and DH likes getting the "good" beer).

bruin1344
06-12-2008, 01:21 PM
this is one of my favorite restaurants, great food and beer plus great view of illuminations

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-12-2008, 01:54 PM
We tried it for the first time last Sept and liked it so much we'll be going back this fall.

I got the cheese plate as my appetizer. The cheese were delicious and they served it with lots of fruit. For entree both DH and I had the steak and fish. It was a huge portion. Large cut of steak (cooked exactly the way I ordered it) and a couple pieces of fish. I had the trifle for dessert and I highly recommend trying it.

Our server was great. She was extremely helpful and very nice. Since we were celebrating she gave us a Happy Anniversary certificate signed by the restaurant staff and I got a glow Tinkerbell and DH a Capt. Hook.

The atmosphere is really nice. We sat outside and there was a really nice breeze. It was a nice way to end our trip.:thumbsup:

Brainiak5
06-12-2008, 09:35 PM
it sounds like its going to be fun :)

steak and fish are my 2 favorite things to eat so i already know what i'm ordering. the fruit and cheese are right down the kids alley too.

thanks to everyone who added their opinions - much appreciated. don't stop- we arrive on 6/30 and i'll be checking frequently:mickey:

im looking forward to this new englander spending a few hours in jolly old england - im hoping to find a tri-corner hat to put a feather in and call it macaroni:flag: