PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother's Watching!!

jennsky
06-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I noticed at Epcot that at the start of a few attractions, they have these security monitors that show you that "you're being watched" so basically that you better behave yourself. I noticed them at the start of Spaceship Earth and on Living With The Land. I didn't think it seemed very "Disney"...it was like, "behave or else!" Have you guys noticed that? Do you think it deters bad behaviour? I don't think it does. If some punk is gonna act up, I think they will whether or not Disney shows off their security cameras at the start of the attraction. Doesn't everyone assume that they're being watched already for safety reasons, so why emphasize that fact? I dunno...I thought it was out of taste...

Gator
06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I guarantee there's not a place at WDW that's not being watched. That said, there are probably some attractions that tend to attract the type of visitor with tendencies to vandalize or participate in illegal activities. It's probably in those areas that Disney wants these folks to know they're under surveillence. I'm all for that. Those types of people are better off getting caught my Disney then being caught by me. You don't mess with the mouse with me looking.

Polynesian Dweller
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Obviously I don't work for Disney so this isn't gospel, but in most situations you have to legally disclose the surveillance to protect people's privacy. Knowing you are being watched means you can choose not to ride and by riding are consenting to the camera surveillance. New privacy laws and all that. That's why we had to do it where I worked.

2Epcot
06-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I guarantee there's not a place at WDW that's not being watched. That said, there are probably some attractions that tend to attract the type of visitor with tendencies to vandalize or participate in illegal activities. It's probably in those areas that Disney wants these folks to know they're under surveillence.

Vandalism and safety are probably the biggest reasons for security cameras, but I've heard from CMs about things people do when they think they aren't being watched. These signs let those people know that they can be seen ... even on dark rides like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion.

I used to live in a building that had security cameras in all 4 elevators. These cameras, along with other cameras throughout the building, could be seen on the cable system by anyone living there. Sometimes it was quite apparent that people didn't realize others could be watching.

Brainiak5
06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
I like the fact the notices are up and people are told they are being observed. i know that the ne patriots watch the crowds for unruly behavior and it works. they tossed a group behind us last year because they were caught on camera drinking from liquor bottles they snuck in and smoking - and this was after the majority of the folks around them had tried to self police the situation and get them to calm down. its sad when people just cant control themselves and just have a nice time without disrupting the nice time for the people around them.

Von-Drake
06-12-2008, 07:48 AM
I have no problem with the signs being put up and think they might deter some people from doing things that could cause the ride to **** down and cause problems for the rest of us.

That being said, unlike audio, I do not believe you have to have someone's permission to film , or take their picture. Imagine if you had to get everyone's permission in the background of the pictures you take of your family or something else at Disney.

DisneyLove
06-12-2008, 08:30 AM
I have no problem with the signs being put up and think they might deter some people from doing things that could cause the ride to **** down and cause problems for the rest of us.

That being said, unlike audio, I do not believe you have to have someone's permission to film , or take their picture. Imagine if you had to get everyone's permission in the background of the pictures you take of your family or something else at Disney.

In the US, there are 4 privacy torts, one of which is the appropriation of someones name, personality, or likeness. So while you don't need permission to take a photo for personal use like a home photo album or scrapbook, if you were going to use it for any sort of commercial use, you would need the person's permission. I don't believe Disney's selling security tapes for profit, so it likely isn't an issue.

(For anyone interested, the other 3 are intrusion of solitude, portraying the plaintiff in a false light, and disclosure of embarrassing private facts that would be found patenly offensive by contemporary community standards)

Mousemates
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't mind the camera's at Disney either or the signs making sure everyone knows they are there...I mean its bad enough with all the pictures that get "washed away" on Spl(Fl)ash Mountain...I can only imagine how much more of that kind of stuff (or worse) would be going on in the dark rides among hormone driven teens, exhibitionists and public thrill seekers without the watchful eye of Big Brother Mouse.

WDWdriver
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Most of the moving attractions at WDW have a backstage control room (usually referred to informally as the "tower"). The tower consoles include ride stop buttons that temporarily stop ride motion, emergency stop buttons that shut down everything, PA systems, communication systems, and yes, security camera monitors. A CM is in the tower at all times to watch over the ride systems and the guests experiencing the attraction.

You can expect to be watched whenever you are out of direct sight of the CMs who are loading and unloading the ride. Even an open air ride like Kali River Rapids has every portion of the ride under surveillance. It's really amazing what some people will do when they think they are not being observed.

Marker
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Welcome to our world. "Out of taste" or not, safety and security has to be a top priority.

We're living in a world where the unthinkable all too often becomes the evening news. Child abductions, sexual assault, and other malicious acts are not far too common. Imagine if Walt Disney World were to reduce the level of monitoring for the sake of not being "out of taste". The very moment something tragic happened, those very same people who were screaming about "Big Brother" watching would be crying about "why doesn't Disney do something to increase security".

In my opinion, until the public learns how to behave, especially where the safety and well-being of children is involved, I say move over "Big Brother" paranoia, bring on the security cameras. It's sad that it has to be that way, but one preventable abduction or assault would do much more to destroy the magic than a few cameras.

Gottaluvgoof
06-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Heck, I never noticed anything. I'm so excited to be getting on another ride, I'm sure I probably zipped right past it. :silly: It certainly doesn't bother me. Whatever it takes to keep things smooth for me and my family. I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't care what their watching.

DNS
06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
This doesn't bother me at all. Actually, it makes me feel a little safer knowing they're watching. Department stores and convenience stores have cameras. I imagine most public areas do.

lockedoutlogic
06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
they've always had some sort of security system in place.....but not necessarily cameras....

the problem with cameras is that you have to pay to have someone watch them.....

disney preferred the pressure mat system in many cases.....where a sensor to the sides of the track would alert control if somewhere to exit the vehicle....

many of the rides in Magic Kingdom....and i believe most of the original EPCOT pavilions featured this low maintenance security system....

the exception are the more "thrill rides" such as splash mountain....where shennanigans can lead to injury or death.....

now perhaps they've updated and gone to a camera system as rides have been rehabbed....but i don't know

johnO
06-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Doesn't everyone assume that they're being watched already for safety reasons, so why emphasize that fact? I dunno...I thought it was out of taste...
It's never safe to assume. Especially not with the type of person who would do something foolish or criminal within one of the WDW parks. They're not thinking like average Joe does, otherwise they'd control their own behavior in the first place. We all know one thing and that's the fact that WDW isn't like anyother place. They're known for their taste, class, service etc. The WD company is VERY calculated and I'm sure has chosen to place these signs there for specific reasons that overrode their desire to stay tasteful and or classy.

"Big Brother" in this case is a multi billion dollar international corporation that must protect it's interests from frivolous law suits, which in this day and age are countless, and must keep it's customers safe in this age of terror. Keep in mind you're on THEIR PRIVATE property. If you don't want them surveilling you, you can always choose not to go. WDW would be foolish not to use technology to keep people, who keep them in business, safe and protect their company from harm.

:cool:

garymacd
06-12-2008, 10:11 PM
...if you were going to use it for any sort of commercial use, you would need the person's permission.

I was just thinking about this, and realised that Disney never got my permission to use my photo to advertise DisneyQuest (I think it's still there), but I remember reading somewhere that entry into the parks and attractions gives Disney the right to use your photo and/or likeness in advertising material. Some sort of standard form contract you accept by entering the park. The same sort of contract you agree to when you park your car in a shopping mall. They are not responsible for damages caused by shopping carts.

If you don't agree to the contract, don't enter the park. No negotiations allowed.

I personally have never worried about security cameras. Never done much to be ashamed of.

Well, there were some issues while working on the beach wearing nothing much more than a Speedo.....

Mousemates
06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
IThe same sort of contract you agree to when you park your car in a shopping mall. They are not responsible for damages caused by shopping carts.

If you don't agree to the contract, don't enter the park. No negotiations allowed.

But they are responsible...(I received compensation in the past for a big dent in my wife's former Taurus caused by a windblown buggy at chain grocery store in Memphis...and there were all kinds of signs saying they were not liable.) The sign is really just designed to discourage filing complaints or to get you to leave the premises before finding out you could have been compensated(after you leave, its near impossible to prove their buggy did the damage.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky and I know my comment is not really a pertinent point to the overall discussion about Big Brother, but if any of my intercot friends :mickey: have a car get "buggy struck" I just wanted them to know to go inside and immediately file a complaint with the store manager.:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
06-12-2008, 11:06 PM
This doesn't bother me at all. Actually, it makes me feel a little safer knowing they're watching.

Same here! I know we're never going to do anything that would get us in trouble, so I don't mind "them" watching out for the troublemakers! :thumbsup:

Mulan
06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
When I first read this, I didn't think of a personal violation. I thought it was great that there were cameras and I hope there are more around WDW for the safety of the children. If a child gets lost maybe the cameras can help locate them or if (I hate to say) someone takes a child. Maybe by having the signs posted the latter will never happen.

brad192
06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I took the KttK backstage tour on a recent trip, and our tourguide mentioned that, if you're in a park, there's a camera that's watching you (except for the bathrooms of course). He then pointed out several of the cameras & showed how they were disguised to look like something else. Trust me, you may not see it, but security is everywhere at WDW. :thumbsup:

Figment52
06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I noticed them at the start of Spaceship Earth and on Living With The Land.

We did notice that. Right before you enter the greenhouse there's a camera screen and a CM. If I remember correctly, LWTL boats no longer have a CM on board. We assumed that's why. It's very possible to get hurt if you're messing about on the boat, so they'd need to be able to see what's going on.

Cameras don't bother me. All of rides have them, and most people probably never knew they were being watched, or never thought about it until it was made known.

Brownie54
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
I know the cameras are there, but it doesn't stop me from smooching my wife on the backward part in Haunted Mansion. Hey, it is a tradition! I'm sure the CM watching has seen much worse:blush:. BTW, I remember back in the 70's and 80's I would occassionally smell pot on some dark rides. Not so much these days.

CU Tiger
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I am all for the cameras. :thumbsup: I have witness, inside and outside of Disney, how some kids act and what vandalism they do. I feel old saying this, but neither I nor my friends ever got a thrill out of ruining something when we were kids. HM is a great example of how they stop the ride and correct the bad actions of some, so others can enjoy the ride.:mickey:

Imagineer1981
06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Most of the moving attractions at WDW have a backstage control room (usually referred to informally as the "tower"). The tower consoles include ride stop buttons that temporarily stop ride motion, emergency stop buttons that shut down everything, PA systems, communication systems, and yes, security camera monitors. A CM is in the tower at all times to watch over the ride systems and the guests experiencing the attraction.

You can expect to be watched whenever you are out of direct sight of the CMs who are loading and unloading the ride. Even an open air ride like Kali River Rapids has every portion of the ride under surveillance. It's really amazing what some people will do when they think they are not being observed.

very well said. I know at Space Mountain we had several cameras at basically any point the attraction was very slow..like going up the main hill there are 2 different cameras because believe it or not, people try to get out!

Georgesgirl1
06-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Cameras at WDW don't bother me. It is private property and they have the right to do what they want. I actaully feel much safer knowing that if something happened it would be caught on tape.

When visiting other parks (namely Six Flags Over Georgia), I have often wished that they had more cameras. Or if they already have them, I wish someone would actually watch them and do something about what they see (ie. all of the line jumping that constantly occurs!)

Kristin

mickeys_princess_mom
06-16-2008, 09:54 PM
. I noticed them at the start of Spaceship Earth and on Living With The Land.
Once when we were on TTA a CM kept coming on the loudspeaker reminding someone that this was a "family ride" and to please behave accordingly. We were dying of curiosity, and never could figure out who the offenders were. Didn't see any likely culprits, and there were few riders on our 'train'....I appreciate the efforts to keep it "family".

brownie
06-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Obviously I don't work for Disney so this isn't gospel, but in most situations you have to legally disclose the surveillance to protect people's privacy. Knowing you are being watched means you can choose not to ride and by riding are consenting to the camera surveillance. New privacy laws and all that. That's why we had to do it where I worked.

Probably not the case here, since it is a public area and the reasonable person wouldn't have an expectation of privacy. I don't think putting a monitor up showing you on camera would qualify as adequate notice anyways. More to discourage people from acting up by letting them know they are being watched without coming out and saying it directly.

We should keep in mind that there are also safety reasons for monitoring the rides. We had trouble on the sea cabs at the Living Seas one time because someone kept getting out of their sea cab. They made announcements and stopped the sea cabs.