PDA

View Full Version : It's the Attack of the Killer Tomatos

thrillme
06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Ok...I guess I've officially been affected by the current Tomato issue.

Went to Jack in the Box, ordered my favorite Sourdough Jack...No tomatos...RATZ...didn't realize how much I liked them on my Sourdough Jack before.

We've been growing our own this year so we haven't even thought about buying them...so I guess I didn't think about it before.

I guess it's time to break out the Donny Osmond records.:cool:

disneydrmr
06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
As a person who works in the food industry and has had to call numerous customers over every recall put out.. I believe in safety first. We will not even allow a customer to throw product away.. we must do a pick up of the product due to the possibility that someone could get the product out of the dumpster and consume it and get sick. There is no such thing as being too cautious when it comes to a person's health and well being...

LauraF
06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm glad they're being cautious - having had a mild case of food poisoning, that is nasty, nasty stuff.

But according to the FDA latest news release (last night via CNN online) it's only certain types of tomatoes, and if they are cooked, they're fine. Try telling that to my local Italian place, who was doing without fresh tomaotes.

Don't mess with my pasta sauce!

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm glad they are being cautious. I've had food poisoning and know how terrible it can be.

Also there are certain people that this is more harmful and even deadly to - children, elderly, those with compromised immune systems, etc.

A lady with cancer died from this. I wouldn't want this to happen to me or anyone else.

laprana
06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I also think it's a good idea that they're being cautious, at least until they get the source pinpointed and can be a little more sure of where this is coming from.

I actually had the opposite experience from the OP! I went to McDonald's the other day, got a chicken sandwich and was thrilled to see the sign saying "No Tomatoes!" At least for a while I don't have to pick them off everything I eat! :thumbsup: I hate tomatoes!:ack:

Hair_Razor
06-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Here's the thing the tomatoes that were affected were out of Mexico only. If you know where hte source is you can eliminate it. Second thing is that it is Salmonella which lives on the outside of the food not inside and can be avoided by proper food cleaning.

Love of Disney
06-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I love my tomatoes....I just clean them really, really well!

J9
06-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I know they're on their way back, but the tomato scare really doesn't bother me all that much. Of course most of that is because I'm not really a fan of tomatoes....

I always buy into this sort of thing. I haven't eaten canteloupe since this winter's canteloupe scare. I haven't eaten french fries in about 10 years since I heard a report that french fries cause cancer (I know this isn't true now, but I still won't eat them. I'll have maybe a small pack of fries twice a year, if even that!). I got food poisoning 6 years ago after eating popcorn chicken at the college cafeteria, haven't had popcorn chicken since! Also got sick in the 4th grade (about 16 years ago now) after eating a lunchmeat sandwich. To this day I have not had even a taste of lunch meat, even though I know it was purely a coincidence.

I am a weird weird kid....

(Hey, at least I can admit it!!! ;))

thrillme
06-18-2008, 08:15 AM
More and more resturants are taking them off.

I don't see how they'd ever find the source. Tomatoes grow so fast that I'm sure whatever it was is long gone by now.

I never realized how much I'd miss them in salads, sandwiches and tacos! Sure we have them at home but when you go to resturants!!!

I want my pico de gallo back!!!!:fit:

alphamommy
06-18-2008, 09:45 AM
=
I guess it's time to break out the Donny Osmond records.:cool:

Huh???

Anyway, I don't like tomatoes, so I don't miss them. I do think it's important for them to be careful. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to get sick or die because of something like this.

MsMin
06-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Here's the thing the tomatoes that were affected were out of Mexico only. If you know where hte source is you can eliminate it. Second thing is that it is Salmonella which lives on the outside of the food not inside and can be avoided by proper food cleaning.
I agree but that is a risk especially if someone's living skills are not up to par. But it would seem like they could find tomatoes from another source, and I know they are getting them from Canada but are retailers taking the chances?

More and more resturants are taking them off.

I don't see how they'd ever find the source. Tomatoes grow so fast that I'm sure whatever it was is long gone by now.

I never realized how much I'd miss them in salads, sandwiches and tacos! Sure we have them at home but when you go to resturants!!!

I want my pico de gallo back!!!!:fit:

It's amazing that they can find the source. They send the FDA police:D When we had a cholera outbreak here several years ago they tracked it down to the fisherman that contaminated the source.
Fortunately I grow my own tomatoes every summer. Last year I didn't have many b/c of the lack of rain but this year my plants are doing fine.

Jeff G
06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
As long as the tomatoes don't team up with the dolls:thedolls: I think we'll be OK.

(I'm sorry, with the thread title I couldn't resist)

thrillme
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Well it looks like the resturants are going to start putting them back in business. Turns out a lot of people affected weren't sure WHAT kind of tomato they ate and the shelf life for those tomatos have expired. Of course I do find it FASTINATING that the investigators can actually track this down. The spinach was easier because it came bagged with a UPC code.

Oh yes...and for those confused by the "Donny Osmond" records...:D this comes from the OLD "B" movie...The Attack of the Killer Tomatos. Rampaging tomatos created by an evil scientist essentially roamed killing innocent victims (it's definately "ketchup")...however they were subdued by Donny Osmond records and turned into pizza sauce. The movie was so classic they made TWO more sequels.

J9
06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Oh yes...and for those confused by the "Donny Osmond" records...:D this comes from the OLD "B" movie...The Attack of the Killer Tomatos. Rampaging tomatos created by an evil scientist essentially roamed killing innocent victims (it's definately "ketchup")...however they were subdued by Donny Osmond records and turned into pizza sauce. The movie was so classic they made TWO more sequels.

I had no idea it was a movie!!! I just assumed the topic title was a reference to the cartoon from the late 80s. I used to love that cartoon!