PDA

View Full Version : Setting up computer to also be a fax

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know what I would need to set my computer up as a fax machine as well?? A number of jobs want your resume faxed to them instead of email.. I don't have a fax machine, and strangely, no access to one... I want to establish my computer as a fax machine.. I know there are printers out there that run as both, but, I was trying to avoid that... Any ideas or suggestions???

dw2649
06-11-2008, 02:15 PM
It is very easy to setup your computer as a fax. All you need is to make sure that your computer has a modem built into it (33.6 KBPS or higher) in order to fax from your machine. If it does not, you can purchase a US Robitics modem from newegg.com for $20.00 that fits into any available PCI slot and include faxing software. if your computer already has a modem into it all you will need is to download software that allows your computer to fax if it is not already on your computer. Check with your computer manufacter as they may have software that is free (free is always best).

Having said that, if you can afford it I would recommend getting a Multi-Function Printer (MFP) that can scan, fax, copy, print. I have the SCX-4725FN, which normally retails for $279.00 but is routinely on sale at staples for $200.00 plus tax. I like it because it does a very good job scanning documents into a computer and saving them as PDFs which take up little space on the hard drive (most less that 1.5 MBs). My old lexmark, on the other hand, never worked correctly when i used the Auto-Document feeder and the PDF's it created always took up 80 MBs or more. After that experience, i would recommend staying away from Lexmark mfp's. HP Laserjet MFP's are also very good, however the inexpensive laser MFP's do not have a scanner bed and require that you always use the auto-document feeder, which does not work for all documents.

Now having said that which ever one you end up choosing, make sure that it feeds your needs and your wants. Don't go for the first one you see or the lowest price, as it may end up costing you more in the long run.

i have been working with HP MFPs for the last year or so; therefore if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps.
Daniel