PDA

View Full Version : Panting cat

Jeri Lynn
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Here's a strange question...

My cat, who is about 8 months old was chasing a chipmunk outside today, it's about 68 degrees out so it is not hot...I ran out to save the chipmunk and brought Belle the cat in and she was panting heavily. I have noticed in the past that when she is out hunting poor little critters she pants...I brought her in the house and she layed on the floor and panted for quite a good five minutes.

Is this normal??

She seems better now as she is chasing a spider around!!

MsMin
06-11-2008, 09:44 AM
They can pant when they are very anxious or excited. My used to pant when I got her in the car to go to the vet. It could have been a combination if she was running a lot but I would think it's normal. :paw:

kdkhopper
06-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Seems like I remember something about it helping them to smell better too? You still might want to call your vet and ask - it'll put your mind at ease and that should be something they can answer over the phone without you having to take her in.

Hull-onian
06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Valentino pants every now and then. Especially since we are having this heat wave in the east. I got him a :fan: so he is comfy.

RenDuran
06-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Cats pant when they get hot. They don't sweat like we do. They sweat through their paw pads and through panting.

Jeri Lynn
06-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I will chalk it up to Miss Belle smelling her prey and then chasing it around the flower garden until I rescued the poor little critter who had no fur left on his little tail.

Snow White and Cinderella's little friends don't have a chance around my house with 5 cats.

kakn7294
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
My cat Missy would pant if she got too hot or excited or if we had to go to the vet. She loved it when the AC was turned on - she sat over the vent in the floor and let the cool air blow up over her face. She looked like Koda and Kenai in that scene in Brother Bear where they are leaning over the cliff and the updraft is blowing. Just keep an eye on your kitty and see if she acts normal otherwise. My Mom's cat had pneumonia once - in the middle of the summer. We thought she was having an allergic reaction to the varnish my Dad was using on the woodwork in the house and took her to the vet. Rascal pretty much panted all the time though when she was sick, not just after exertion.