PDA

View Full Version : What traffic violation would you like to see ticketed by police more often?

DisneyDudet
06-11-2008, 01:27 AM
As I was driving these past two days, I have had to exit the highway, about 10 times. Only once did someone yield. There are signs at every exit area for the service road drivers to yield, and they never do it!

I wish police officers were near there and would ticket those who don't yield. I yield every time, and people behind me get upset. Well, those entering the service road are going too fast to stop, which is the point.

Anywho, now that I have that off my chest, what would you like to see enforced more in regards to traffic?

BronxTigger
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Double Parking!

I don't drive much, but I am on the city bus a lot. Often, the bus has to stop because somebody is either parked in the bus lane or - if someone is parked in the bus lane, somebody else is also parked in a traffic lane. It really slows us all down.

Actually, maybe the one I'd like to see more tickets on is yielding to pedestrians. If a person is crossing the street, they are supposed to STOP for you. NOT speed up the closer they get to you!

SBETigg
06-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Wearing your seatbelt has become law in many places, but it's not one of those heavily enforced ones, unless you're pulled over for something else(giving you time to quickly put on your seatbelt). It's a simple habit to get in, and it's a lifesaver.

I also get upset when I see people with little kids or babies out of car seats. There's nothing that can't wait until you're safely at a stop. Why risk it?

Melanie
06-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I also get upset when I see people with little kids or babies out of car seats. There's nothing that can't wait until you're safely at a stop. Why risk it?

You would be furious here in Japan then. As far as I know, they don't have any laws on infants or toddlers being in car seats, and if they do, they certainly don't enforce them here on Okinawa. On a daily basis, I see infants sitting on adult's laps in the front seat, car seats in the front and toddlers crawling all over cars.

When we first moved here, I was appalled, although I've gotten used to seeing it now. :unsure:

Marilyn Michetti
06-11-2008, 07:37 AM
People talking on their cell phones. Some of them don't have any idea of what's going on around them.:mad:

Jeri Lynn
06-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Talking on Cell phones or other distracted driving, I have passed people putting on makeup and doing paperwork while on the highway.

Tailgating

Parking in a handicapped spot without a placard.

eam
06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Cruising in the left lane. Either pass, or get in the first lane. Thanks for letting me vent.

BigRedDad
06-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Two things:

1. It should be legal in the US to re-end slow drivers in the left lane. I am sorry, but get out of the lane if you are not traveling with the fast traffic.

2. Police pulling you over for speeding when you follow them. When I was in court to fight the ticket, I told the judge I am in complete agreement for the ticket only if the officer, who was present, is ticketed and charged the same penalty with points. This would have cost him his car duty job and he would be stuck behind a desk. He dropped the ticket :D

LauraF
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Proper use of a rotary (that's a traffic circle to those of you outside New England).

I have one at the center of my town and many people CANNOT seem to figure out that cars in the rotary have the right of way. (Like the huge sign at every entrance says) That means do not speed up as you approach the rotary and hope that everyone else will get out of your way. It also does not mean that you can pull into the rotary and block traffic while waiting for another part to clear. Oh, don't stop and wave people to enter once you're already in, as it messes up the traffic pattern for everyone behind you. (Like today when I had to stand on my brakes and swerve to avoid some idiot who did just that without warning. And no I was not tailgating.)

I don't get it - when I was last in the UK, roundabouts were everywhere and nobody had problems figuring out to use them. They are a very simple yet effective traffic control tool, when used properly.

LauraF
06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Cruising in the left lane. Either pass, or get in the first lane.
Amen! :thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
06-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Lots of things bother me....

The thing that drives me crazy....that I wish police officers saw more of ---- are children out of car seats. I see it ALL the time.

As someone who has worked on an ambulance, I've seen the worst. And the worst usually involved children not being in car seats.

disneydrmr
06-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Not yielding...

Tailgating...

Using the handicap parking spot when you are definitly not handicap! I see this all the time.. they have the placard/sticker.. but they get out of the car and are perfectly 'normal' and walking just fine. Now before I get 'blasted' I know that there are people out there who have 'hidden handicaps' .. I"m not targeting them.. I'm talking about the OBVIOUS healthy people who have the placards maybe from someone else in their family and use them for convinence...

And then my biggest.... drivers who drive their vehicles with their dogs IN THEIR LAPS!!!! And anyone who locks their dogs up in a car on a hot day and goes shopping. Sorry.. but leaving a window cracked will not keep the dog cool.

ChipDale2708
06-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I've got two! Not coming to a complete stop before taking a right on red. I can't believe how many people I see blow right through without even hitting the brakes. And the other that I'm seeing increasing, and I'm sure people think they are being polite, stopping dead in the middle of the road to let another vehicle into traffic or to let people cross a road who aren't in or at a cross walk. A lot of fender-benders could be avoided if drivers didn't do these things. I'm so tired of commuting to work...

dfamasb
06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I can't stand it when people don't use turn signals!
Aggressive drivers that weave through traffic just to get a few car lenghts farther ahead!
All those people out there that think the laws don't apply to them :mad:

DisneyOtaku
06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Not using your turn signals! :mad:

Ian
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Cruising in the left lane. Either pass, or get in the first lane. Thanks for letting me vent.:ditto:

Two things:

1. It should be legal in the US to re-end slow drivers in the left lane. I am sorry, but get out of the lane if you are not traveling with the fast traffic.:ditto:

And then my biggest.... drivers who drive their vehicles with their dogs IN THEIR LAPS!!!!:ditto:

As far as I'm concerned, police are far too lenient on people who violate minimum speed limit laws and the laws governing using the left lane for passing only.

You'd be amazed at how many more accidents are caused by people driving either too slowly or failing to yield to faster traffic and yet only the "aggressive" drivers draw the tickets.

crazypoohbear
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Driving too slow!!
Slowing down or stopping to read street signs as you go by them.

hitting your brakes every time a car is coming towards you

drifting from lane to lane

driving with dogs/kids/date on your lap!

not wearing seat belts. I don't want to see your guts spattered all over the road. it's usually the ones not belted that are the worst drivers :mad:

speeding up and slowing down constantly!

slowing down going up hill in a snow storm!

cutting over from the left lane to take a right exit on the highway

people getting in the fast pass lane... when they dont' have one and then trying to back up on the pike!:mad:

throwing butts out the window. HELLO wild fires!!!!

tinkwest
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm sure this violation is ticketed often, so it doesn't really fit the topic . . but to vent . . the aggressive drivers on the freeway weaving in & out of lanes at an excessive rate of speed make me so mad I actually have a little piece of me that almost wishes they would crash just to teach them a lesson.

What I wish was ticketed more often - at the opposite end of the spectrum - seems to be a popular one . . slow drivers. If you are in the slow lane, ok. But any other lane . . go with the flow of traffic. Don't suddenly pull in to my lane (for no apparent reason) when I am traveling along with everyone else at 70 mph and you are going 55. :mad:

Dragongirlx
06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Not using your turn signals! :mad:

I totally agree and would also like to add drivers who don't use their brakes when slowing down just lift their foots of the gas pedal:mad:.

I am not psychic and I hate having to guess where you are going.

I also agree with drivers going to slowly.
There is a brreed of driver in the UK that feels that what ever the speed limit they have to go 5miles under it GRRRR!

Jeniflower
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I agree

indicate correctly, use your blasted break lights and get in the right lane at round abouts (britain!0. Actually pick a lane, don't drive up the middle of two. :thedolls:

CleveSJM
06-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Cruising in the left lane. Either pass, or get in the first lane. Thanks for letting me vent.

Another vote for driving in the left lane(s) without passing.

I'm also not sure I understand the Original Post. If you are in the exit lane, who needs to yield? Are you cruising in the middle lane and being passed to the right?

Edit - Nevermind. I see it. Service roads. We don't have many up here but I do recall a lot of them south of DFW...

Seasonscraps
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
For drivers...using hand held cell phones and texting :mad: Sorry, nothing is so important and if it is, I think it would be worth pulling over for 5 mintues to handle the situation.

For pedestrians...jay walking. I cannot tell you how many people I see crossing againt lights into oncoming traffic which is dangerous for them & the driver. I am 100% sure in a showdown between a car and a pedestrian - the car will win everytime! I think waiting for the light to change is worth the wait.

Jeff G
06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I would like to see some sort of policy put in place for elderly drivers who are hazards on the road. Not tickets but if a police officer notices poor driving maybe the person has to go to the DMV to be retested. I'm not against elderly driving but for those who are obviously behind a wheel and not in 100% control they should have to prove competency to drive, this actually could apply to all drivers.

This one hits close to home for me. My DW and DD(who was 6 months at the time) were parked on the side of a street waiting for someone when a car driven by an elderly man collided with them and continued on his way. When the police officer went to the house the gentleman had no idea he had hit a car and thought it was a speed bump. No tickets were issued(he was a retired judge) and he was allowed to continue driving. A year later he ran a stop sign and severely injured another driver. He was obviously a hazrd on the road and yet nothing was done until someone was hurt.

Deesdisney
06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I have vented to the police dept. already but I do not think anything will happen. I hate when people block the intersection. I have been stuck behind one light for 5 greens and never moved due to those who block the intersection trying to get ahead. I have even seen the police just sit there and watched it. Also those who use there cell phones. I do not use mine to keep up on everyday things. Mine is for emergencies only. WOW that feels good.

RedSoxFan
06-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I have three that bother me the most:

-- kids with no seat belts on
-- kids in the front seat who are too young to be there with the airbags
-- people on cell phones

crazypoohbear
06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I have another one
People who are stopped in traffic and block access to side roads. Can't you just stop far enough back to let traffic coming in the other direction turn into the road???

Oh and if there are two or more lanes to choose from... PICK A LANE! Not all of them!

If you insist on driving below the speed limit, PULL OVER and let us pass!

Boojum
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
driving with dogs/kids/date on your lap!

:rotfl:

Love the "date" reference!!

My personal driving peeve is this: people who park in fire lanes at my local grocery store!! I see this every time I go! When did people start getting the idea that rules are for other people??? It would (almost!) be worth it to me to see the grocery store catch fire so the fire trucks would come in and bash all those illegal park-ers out of the fire lane!!

2Epcot
06-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I can't stand it when people don't use turn signals!
Aggressive drivers that weave through traffic just to get a few car lenghts farther ahead!
All those people out there that think the laws don't apply to them :mad:

Those are my biggest ones too ... I always think to myself, Wow your brand new car doesn't even have working turn signals, that's too bad. Sometimes I will laugh out loud at drivers who race around me only to get one car length ahead ... Boy, that saved a lot of time.

I also hate when people block intersections when they can see the traffic is not moving.

My final complaint is people who can't figure out who has the right-of-way at a four way stop ... Just because you have come to a stop doesn't mean it is your turn to go.

pink
06-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Jeff G- I agree with your go back to the DMV test for the elders but I also feel bad about taking away their independence as they should be respected. On the other hand if they're a danger to others, I understand. Driving with my grandma is Fear Factor in itself. :sick:

Other things that I think more people should be ticketed for:

-Speeding, especially when a cop is just sitting there watching on the highway and doesn't stop them.

-Driving too slow, I agree this one kills me more than anything. There is a happy medium of speed.

- How people think the left lane is the speeding lane, it's not a real rule so it shouldn't be enforced by all of the drivers.

-No turn signals. I would have hit so many people because of this already if I wasn't paying close attention.

:mickey:

Sunshine1010
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Like I said in a previous post.....I am an EMT and have worked for various 911 ambulance services.

In regards to car accidents: In my entire career, I've only worked ONE accident that had someone over 65 in it. Yes, you read that right ---- one.

Most were teenagers. Next ones: 20 somethings.

That's not a statistic or anything like that....it's from my personal career.

I tend to look out for the young ones....not the old ones.

Ian
06-11-2008, 08:39 PM
That's because all the senior citizens were driving too slow when they hit someone to cause them any injuries. ;)

Altair
06-11-2008, 09:35 PM
When driving down a subdivison street, why do people with a parked car in their lane think they can just come over into your lane. Unless you can make it in plenty of time, if a car is parked in your lane you should wait until the car with the clear lane passes.:thedolls:

Shugoondola
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Actually, maybe the one I'd like to see more tickets on is yielding to pedestrians. If a person is crossing the street, they are supposed to STOP for you. NOT speed up the closer they get to you!

Amen to that! I don't think people in my hometown understand the concept of yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks. I walk a lot and I don't know how many times I've been practically run over by someone just so they can sit at a red light at the next block.

:mickey:

ElenitaB
06-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm sure this violation is ticketed often, so it doesn't really fit the topic . . but to vent . . the aggressive drivers on the freeway weaving in & out of lanes at an excessive rate of speed make me so mad I actually have a little piece of me that almost wishes they would crash just to teach them a lesson.
Oh, they do crash! And into other cars... and then leave the scene while the affected car is sent spinning across two lanes of traffic, narrowly avoiding being hit itself by on coming traffic. Sound a bit detailed? Yes, because it happened to us and guess what? Since we had no serious injuries in our car (thank God... and the serious damage were only to my car), the party involved was never even followed by the police or ticketed. And their insurance company did a grand job of ensuring that I never saw a single cent for the damage done to my car. :thedolls: And the clincher? They were repeat offenders. :mad:

My gripes:
- people who park in spots put aside for the handicapped
- people who don't turn in turn-only lanes and go straight instead
- people who exit or enter a ramp from the middle lane, cutting off those who are in the proper lane
- talking (or texting) on the phone without an earpiece or Bluetooth device
- little ones out of a car seat
- tweens and younger kids in the front seat (law here in NYC is 13 to ride shotgun, but that's rarely enforced)

Thanks for the opportunity to vent!

Here we go again...
06-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Using the handicap parking spot when you are definitly not handicap! I see this all the time.. they have the placard/sticker.. but they get out of the car and are perfectly 'normal' and walking just fine. Now before I get 'blasted' I know that there are people out there who have 'hidden handicaps' .. I"m not targeting them.. I'm talking about the OBVIOUS healthy people who have the placards maybe from someone else in their family and use them for convinence...

I am guilty of this....
No, not of taking the parking place to begin with, I am one of "the OBVIOUS healthy people" that park in the handicap parking. I do not do it all the time, but if there are only far places I do. No keep in mind that I have RA, Osteo arthritis and Fybromyalgia. I have had 5 knee surgeries (the most recent being total knee replacement). Some days I hop out of my truck and feel (and look) like a million bucks. But heading back to my car Is excruciating. I know that there are people that cheat the system. (I am legally handicap and carry a license to prove it)
Show me a system, any system, and I will show you someone who can beat it. Next time you see this happen just take a big breath and think of me. Don't get upset... I would rather feel well and park far.

Now for my pet peeves:
Louisiana has passed a law that states that an adult can not smoke in a car with a minor... does it stop them? Hmmmm.... about as much as the seat belt law. I hate seeing mom buckled in, nice and secure, but little johnny standing on the seat.

wdw dude
06-12-2008, 08:18 AM
When driving down a subdivison street, why do people with a parked car in their lane think they can just come over into your lane. Unless you can make it in plenty of time, if a car is parked in your lane you should wait until the car with the clear lane passes.:thedolls:

I don't get that one either. I can't count the number of times I've been nearly run off the road by someone who can't wait two seconds to yield coming into my clear lane.

I also love the people who make a left turn right in front of me without signaling while I'm going straight. :mad:

Oh if only I could write tickets!

tinkwest
06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm sure this violation is ticketed often, so it doesn't really fit the topic . . but to vent . . the aggressive drivers on the freeway weaving in & out of lanes at an excessive rate of speed make me so mad I actually have a little piece of me that almost wishes they would crash just to teach them a lesson. ...

Oh, they do crash! And into other cars... and then leave the scene while the affected car is sent spinning across two lanes of traffic, narrowly avoiding being hit itself by on coming traffic. ...

I didn't quite express myself properly on that one did I? That little devil must have been sitting on my shoulder when I wrote that response! :thedolls: Of course, none of us would want anyone injured - especially innocent people. A better way to have said that would have been that if I found that vehicle involved in an accident later on down the road, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Sorry for the experience you and your family had, Ellen. I have only been in one minor accident and it left me shaking.

Marker
06-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I would like to mention the red light runners. And not just the red light runners, but the red light pushers too. You know the ones I mean, the ones who enter the intersection well after the light goes yellow knowing full well it's going to turn red.

I know, some of you are thinking it's ok, and "everyone does it". Well, it's not ok, it causes accidents, and NOT everyone does it. I have actually almost been hit from behind because I stopped at a red light. I've also sat through most of a green light while the red light pushers just kept going. I guess for some reason their time (and life) was more important than mine.

Tinkerfreak
06-12-2008, 10:12 AM
OK one of mine is the people who slam on the brakes almost causing me to rear end them because they spot a yard sale:mad:. I know here in Maine we only have a few months that the weather allows people to have lawn sales but geesh people do you really need to cause an accident. My MIL does this and I finally lost my cool and told her how dangerous it is.

Princess'Mom
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I would like to mention the red light runners. And not just the red light runners, but the red light pushers too. You know the ones I mean, the ones who enter the intersection well after the light goes yellow knowing full well it's going to turn red.

I know, some of you are thinking it's ok, and "everyone does it". Well, it's not ok, it causes accidents, and NOT everyone does it. I have actually almost been hit from behind because I stopped at a red light. I've also sat through most of a green light while the red light pushers just kept going. I guess for some reason their time (and life) was more important than mine.

This is a huge problem in Virginia. I cannot count the number of times I have seen multiple cars going through a red light. It is SOOO dangerous. One morning, I watched a school bus run the light! :mad: Before I go through the green light I hesitate. I don't want to become a hood ornament for a dump truck.

Hair_Razor
06-12-2008, 01:52 PM
TURN SIGNALS!!! GRRRR!!!
Your car cost too much if it didn't come with turn signals!

AvonleaCF
06-12-2008, 08:48 PM
--Using a cell phone (especially texting)

--Not using turn signals (not just for turning, but also for changing lanes, entering/exiting the freeway, pulling over, etc.)

--Tailgating, especially in bad weather (like snowstorms or when there's ice on the road)

--People who don't know how to work a 4-way stop sign (or people who just don't want to wait their turn)

--People who drive way too fast and weave in and out of traffic

--People who drive too slowly

--People who honk at you to make a right on red when the way really isn't clear. Or worse, when there's a "no turn on red" sign

--People who don't know how to yield to the right of way. If you're waiting to make a left and I come from across the road to make a right, even though you were there first, the right turner has the right of way

--People who speed in parking lots, especially covered ones with poor visibility

--People who stick too far out in the road when waiting to turn, so every car has to weave around them

--People who don't look when changing lanes

--People who take up more than one spot in a tiny parking lot, or if they park close. If you're worried about being dinged and want to use two spaces, go to the furtherest one out. And not in a parking lot with only 10 spaces to being with

--People who park really badly

--Cars with stereos so loud you can hear and feel them vibrating

--People who decide to exit the highway at the very last second from the left or middle lane and barely look as they skid over

--People who go straight in a turn-only lane, or turn from a non-turning lane

--People who are waiting to make left and don't move over enough to let others pass (when there's enough room)

--People who cut you off and then go slower than you were going (and if they severely cut you off and you honk at them, they give YOU the rude hand gesture!)

--And finally, cars with TVs. No, not because I think the driver is distracted and driving badly, but because *I* get distracted trying to see what's playing! Those things are so dangerous for other drivers (or am I the only one?). Once a good movie was playing and I almost ran into the car cause I was watching. Who invented those anyway? Put them down low, like on the back of the front seats, so those of us driving behind you can't see them!!!

BrerGnat
06-12-2008, 10:39 PM
. the aggressive drivers on the freeway weaving in & out of lanes at an excessive rate of speed make me so mad I actually have a little piece of me that almost wishes they would crash just to teach them a lesson.

I have a BIG piece of me who wishes this sometimes. One time, I swear, it happened! This jerk was weaving all around (I saw him in my rearview) and then he was behind me, and apparently I was going too slow (around 75mph, mind you) so he cut out from behind me, over two lanes to the right, and he slammed right into the back of a semi! His windshield exploded and I had to drive through the "rain" of broken glass. Honestly, it didn't faze me at all...the guy had it coming. No one else was involved in that accident, thankfully.

SandmanGStefani24
06-12-2008, 10:45 PM
how about ticketing people going excessively slow in the fast lane?:thedolls:

too slow is a hazard also, let's not forget.

another vote here for the loud music. i love metal music, and love playing it loud too, but i only jam out on the highway roads, not in parking lots or in neighborhoods. just because i love the song playing doesn't mean everyone else will appreciate it!

alphamommy
06-13-2008, 02:49 AM
This isn't ticket-able, but one thing that really annoys me is people who cut across the parking lanes of a parking lot. I do it occasionally, but not very often. My own sister cut me off in a parking lot once - I was following the lanes, and she cut across them.

I'm not sure I can explain my "real driving" situation, but I'll try. Suppose you're on a 5 lane road - 2 lanes in each direction, plus a center shared left turn lane. The lane format would be:
A B | LTL | C D,
where LTL is the left turn lane.

If the traffic is backed up in lane C, and someone is sitting in the left turn lane waiting to turn across lanes C and D, it drives me nuts when a car in lane C waits for the LTL driver to go. The LTL driver can't see if there's anyone coming in lane D, but they pull across anyway, and hope for the best.

I also hate it when you are warned for two miles that a lane is going away due to construction, but drivers keep traveling down that lane until the last second, then expect everyone to let them in. That causes A LOT of traffic jams.

Okay, I've vented now...

murphy1
06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Mine is cell phones, too. I have one for emergencies, but this lady the other day at IHOP gets on her phone as she's backing up. Call me at home if ya need to reach me.

I grew up in Florida, the older people there all drive super slow and you just either go around or drive as slow behind 'em. Now I live in Atlanta and it's basically drive fast or get cussed out, gee I miss Florida.

Can I mention those who think they can drive around Disney property and keep getting lost, they need to take the busses:D

murphy1
06-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't get that one either. I can't count the number of times I've been nearly run off the road by someone who can't wait two seconds to yield coming into my clear lane.

I also love the people who make a left turn right in front of me without signaling while I'm going straight. :mad:

Oh if only I could write tickets!

I just noticed you're from Marceline. You're a celeb here, you're from Walt's hometown!

Dakota Rose
06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Tailgating and stopping on the interstate entrance ramp.

J9
06-15-2008, 11:35 AM
1) Septa busses who don't pull into the bus lane while making stops. The bus lane is there so that the busses don't block a lane of traffic!!!

2) Septa busses who kindly use the bus lane, but don't look to see if the traffic lane is clear before pulling out. I guess they figure that because they're big, huge busses that they can do whatever they want and drivers will have no choice but to stop and give them the right of way.

(Can you tell I hate Septa?! LOL)

3) People who make left turns on red lights because they are too lazy to wait until the light turns green and for opposing traffic to get out of the way first!

PirateLover
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Not using directionals (turn signals) drives me batty. I especially can't stand it when cops don't use them... you are supposed to be setting an example.

Speeding and tailgating during bad weather is another big one.

I wish that bikers would get tickets sometimes. I'm all for biking, but here in the city there was a big initiative to put bike lanes on major roads. Where there isn't a bike lane, you are supposed to stay to the right of the road. Well let me tell you, hardly anyone uses the bike lanes, and many bikers veer more towards the middle of the road than the side. The other day there were two bikers on either side of a small street while I was driving. It makes me so nervous because I'm afraid to hit them if I try to pass and they happen to weave over.

Ian
06-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Mary Ann, I agree with you on the bikers. It really steams my cheese when they're all up in arms about "share the road!", but yet I rarely see one of them obeying traffic signals or stop signs.

But another one that gets me, too, is motorcyclists who either use the shoulder or the center line to weave through traffic jams. That's another group that's always demanding respect and begging people to look out for them, but then they don't follow the rules themselves.

Here's one ... it isn't really a law that I wish was enforced, but it's certainly traffic related ...

ENOUGH WITH THE DARN TRAFFIC LIGHTS ALREADY!!!!!

Seriously ... if governments were actually interested in saving fuel they'd cut it out with the poorly timed traffic lights every 10 feet.

Kisobel
06-15-2008, 05:44 PM
talking on a cell phone is illegal in ny. but i see everyone do it. i hate that.

kate

PirateLover
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
ENOUGH WITH THE DARN TRAFFIC LIGHTS ALREADY!!!!!

Seriously ... if governments were actually interested in saving fuel they'd cut it out with the poorly timed traffic lights every 10 feet.
(I'm going to reference Philly streets here but I'm sure these experiences are universal across the country). Broad Street is the worst. All the lights turn green at once and if you're lucky you catch two. When I first started driving, the lights on Lombard street used to be timed perfectly. If you caught the first one changing from red to green, you could cruise down the street at 15-20mph and hit every single green light. But they've been doing all this construction the past few years and now it's all crazy. Nothing more annoying than sitting at red light after red light.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-15-2008, 09:16 PM
1. Tailgating. If you are too close and I tap my brakes-back off. Otherwise I will downshift and then sue you when you rear end me.
2. Not using directionals-how hard is it to flip a lever?
3. No seat belts-especially on children! You are responsible for protecting them.
4. Not doing the speed limit. I have yet to be able to do the speed limit on Rte 117 in Stowe/Maynard in the morning.
5. Talking on the cell phone and not being coordinated enough to drive at the same time! It CAN be done. GET A BLUETOOTH!
6. Not knowing how to drive in the snow or rain-STAY HOME until it's clear.
7. When your lane ends-just cutting over whether there is someone already in that lane or not-you are NOT the only person on the road!
8. Thinking a stop sign is just a suggestion. It's NOT! Take the 30 seconds to stop. If you are in that much of a hurry-leave earlier!
9.Sitting behind someone and just blasting the horn for them to pull out, even if there is no break in traffic.

And this was all just in the last 2 days!

garymacd
06-15-2008, 09:18 PM

I agree with this one. Just one point: the left lane is the first lane or Lane 1. At least in North America. Of course in England, the right lane is lane one.

I would also like to have a forward facing cannon for those who do not come to complete stops at those red octagonal thingy's. I was going to call them Stop Signs, but apparently they aren't. They are actually Slow Down and Proceed Through When The Way Is Clear - or Not - Signs.

Was that a little harsh?

J9
06-15-2008, 10:33 PM
(I'm going to reference Philly streets here but I'm sure these experiences are universal across the country). Broad Street is the worst. All the lights turn green at once and if you're lucky you catch two. Nothing more annoying than sitting at red light after red light.

Broad Street is terrible. I feel like I am taking my life in my hands every single day! I really think most people who drive on Broad Street have no idea how to drive! I've only been in 4 accidents in my life (all of them fender benders, and all of them I've been hit from behind. Three of them were on Broad Street in the past three years!)

Worse than Broad Street is the Boulevard. I feel like I hit every gosh darn light every single time! And the worst part about the Blvd is that they have those stupid cameras at the intersections now, which make you slam on your brakes at yellow lights to avoid getting a camera ticket! (My 4th accident was when I got hit from behind at a camera intersection at Grant & the Blvd. Ugh)

ncscgirl2005
06-15-2008, 10:39 PM

This is a huge problem in Virginia. I cannot count the number of times I have seen multiple cars going through a red light. It is SOOO dangerous. One morning, I watched a school bus run the light! :mad: Before I go through the green light I hesitate. I don't want to become a hood ornament for a dump truck.

This is a huge problem here in SC too. It is typical to see 3-4 cars go through after the light has turned red at almost every major intersection on my side of town. I had to get used to that when I first moved here. Now I pause a little before taking off a green light. There's nothing scarier than taking off a green light only to see a big 18-wheeler coming through their red light blowing their horn for you to get out of their way because they ran the light!!!!

Georgesgirl1
06-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I hate it when poeple don't use blinkers! :mad:

Also like when everyone else said about kids not being in car seats. If you are over the age of eighteen and want to get yourself killed by not wearing a seat belt fine by me, but son't do that to your kid. What really kills me is when you see the adults wearing their seatbelt, but the kids are climbing around in the backseat! What!?

Kristin

murphy1
06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
I hate it when poeple don't use blinkers! :mad:

Also like when everyone else said about kids not being in car seats. If you are over the age of eighteen and want to get yourself killed by not wearing a seat belt fine by me, but son't do that to your kid. What really kills me is when you see the adults wearing their seatbelt, but the kids are climbing around in the backseat! What!?

Kristin

That's because all the Tennis moms are putting on their makeup while talking on their cell phones and not paying attention to their kids. My kids know they better stay in their seats once they are in them.

Spaceship Tigger
06-17-2008, 09:24 AM
This is a huge problem here in SC too. It is typical to see 3-4 cars go through after the light has turned red at almost every major intersection on my side of town. I had to get used to that when I first moved here. Now I pause a little before taking off a green light. There's nothing scarier than taking off a green light only to see a big 18-wheeler coming through their red light blowing their horn for you to get out of their way because they ran the light!!!!

We have several major intersections around town now that have red light cameras. There's one in particular that I go through fairly often. Every time I pull up to the light I see people running it from every direction (crossing the line after it is fully red). Each time I think about how each one of them will be getting a $50 ticket in the mail.

If people can't even stop themselves from running red lights when most of them know about the cameras, it's hard to think they actually care about traffic lights without them.

Ian
06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
(Nothing more annoying than sitting at red light after red light.Especially while burning $4 a gallon gas!

1.8. Thinking a stop sign is just a suggestion. It's NOT! Take the 30 seconds to stop. If you are in that much of a hurry-leave earlier!Not for nothin', but who the heck stops for 30 seconds at a stop sign??? :confused:

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-17-2008, 12:17 PM
My biggest complaint is that all offenses aren't ticketed evenly. The only offense that seems to get a ticket is speeding. I've seen people run red lights and not get tickets but speeding most of the time gets you a ticket. If you don't follow the law then you should get a ticket no matter what it is.

I would like to see more cops in school zones. I find in Tennessee that is the one place where people speed and don't get tickets. There are rarely cops at the school zones here.

Ian - I don't stop for 30 secs. I do come to a complete stop but not for 30. If you stopped for 30 here someone would reend you to get you to move.

J9
06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Not for nothin', but who the heck stops for 30 seconds at a stop sign??? :confused:

In Philadelphia we do something called the "South Philly slide." Basically, you don't come to a complete stop, but you slow down enough that you're going like 1 mph. It's plenty of time to look both ways and see if the way is clear without causing any danger to any one or any other car. I've gotten tickets for doing this before because you're supposed to come to a "complete" stop. I could see if I breezed right on through, but I did pretty much stop for the most part that it really shouldn't be ticketed. That's just a pet peeve, because it's completely subconscious and not at all intentional. It's just the way a lot of people learned to drive in the city and surrounding suburbs. If it's good enough to pass the driver's test, then it shouldn't be ticketable!!!!

crazypoohbear
06-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I've gotten tickets for doing this before because you're supposed to come to a "complete" stop. I could see if I breezed right on through, but I did pretty much stop for the most part that it really shouldn't be ticketed. That's just a pet peeve, because it's completely subconscious and not at all intentional.

Hello, it's a stop sign not a pretty much do as you see fit sign!

If this is how you were trained to drive I would have called the driving school and complained if I were your parent. In fact I did this with my own son! The driving school didn't think he needed the observation part of his driving instruction "because he's such a good driver" I told them that it was the law and if they were not going to give him what I paid for then they could reimberse me the difference. He got the full training!

J9
06-17-2008, 02:48 PM
If this is how you were trained to drive I would have called the driving school and complained if I were your parent. In fact I did this with my own son! The driving school didn't think he needed the observation part of his driving instruction "because he's such a good driver" I told them that it was the law and if they were not going to give him what I paid for then they could reimberse me the difference. He got the full training!

It's how EVERYONE drives around here. Maybe 1 out of every 200 cars will completely stop. They even tell you on the driver's test that they won't fail you for sliding. Whether you get a ticket or not around here depends on if its near the end of the month and an officer needs to fill out his quota!!!

It's definitely a regional thing. I'm just saying they need to ticket everyone or no one at all for doing the slide!

crazypoohbear
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
It's how EVERYONE drives around here. Maybe 1 out of every 200 cars will completely stop. They even tell you on the driver's test that they won't fail you for sliding. Whether you get a ticket or not around here depends on if its near the end of the month and an officer needs to fill out his quota!!!

It's definitely a regional thing. I'm just saying they need to ticket everyone or no one at all for doing the slide!

You are right then, they do need to ticket everyone.
Just because "everyone" does it does not make it right or legal.

The old adage "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you?" comes to mind.
It is this kind of mentality that got the world where it is today, "if you can't beat em, join em."

IF people started following the rules of the road maybe others would follow as well.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm picking on you or singling you out but, The reason they put laws into effect was for safety, not convienence.

PirateLover
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
My mom once got ticketed for "sliding" (when she DID actually come to a complete stop) on EASTER in South Philly. My brother and I were about 7 and 11dressed in our finest and this cop pulls us over on our way to church. I'll never forget it.

Anyway, I live there too and I didn't slide through my driver's test, but yea everyone pretty much does it. I generally stop, but just for clarification the law isn't stop for 30 seconds (at least not around here). It's stop completely, look left, right, left again and proceed (or right, left, right depending on where traffic is coming from).

J9
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
I generally stop, but just for clarification the law isn't stop for 30 seconds (at least not around here). It's stop completely, look left, right, left again and proceed (or right, left, right depending on where traffic is coming from).

Exactly! My point is that you can slowly roll (barely even moving) and still look left, right, and left. There's nothing unsafe about it if you slide properly! It's the people that breeze on through that cause problems! I feel that if anyone is ticketed, it should be the breezers! I guess you just need to be from the city to understand...

Another point - in the NE part of the city we have stop signs at every gosh darn corner. It's a little bit overkill. It takes like a 20 minutes to go down the street!!

Another random pet peeve as well - the city is paving a lot of streets around here lately, but not the ones that are riddled with pot holes! You would think those streets would be the first priorities!

Ian
06-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Obviously a little common sense needs to be injected into the whole stop sign conversation.

I think most people are reasonably intelligent and fully capable of differentiating between when a full stop is required and when a "slide" is acceptable.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a cop to write a ticket for a slide if there are no other cars anywhere to be seen at the intersection.

crazypoohbear
06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=J9;1660644]Exactly! My point is that you can slowly roll (barely even moving) and still look left, right, and left. There's nothing unsafe about it if you slide properly! It's the people that breeze on through that cause problems! I feel that if anyone is ticketed, it should be the breezers! I guess you just need to be from the city to understand...
QUOTE]

The same argument could be made that if you go slow and look left and right then it should be okay to turn left on red, or go straight through a red light if no one else is coming.

Why should we have to sit at a red light wasting gas if I stop, look left, look right, if no one is coming then I can run the light. It can be done safely so there shouldn't be a problem!

A complete stop means a complete stop, i.e. the vehicle comes to a complete stop, the wheels stop and there is no forward motion.

Another argument would be, why on a straight away if there is a double solid yellow line and no one is coming in the opposite direction can I not pass a slow moving car? I know it's the law that you can't but if it can be done safely then why not?

Just because it is something that may or may not be done regionally does not make it safe or legal. What happens with your bad habits when you leave Philly? It is hard to "untrain" yourself, so if you are driving through my neighborhood or someone elses and you"slide" instead of stop do you explain to the cop that it's okay, it's regional and acceptable where I live?

DizneeRX
06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Obviously a little common sense needs to be injected into the whole stop sign conversation.

I think most people are reasonably intelligent and fully capable of differentiating between when a full stop is required and when a "slide" is acceptable.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a cop to write a ticket for a slide if there are no other cars anywhere to be seen at the intersection.

Your last sentence is exactly the reason why it is NOT acceptable to "slide" through a stop sign. If there were no cars anywhere to be seen, then where was the cop? I'll tell you where - in a marked police car at the same intersection where you (I’m using “you” generally, not "you" specifically)just rolled through a stop sign without stopping. And you didn't see the police car? How careful are you being if you don't even see a police car? and if you miss a police car, what else could you be missing? Kids, pedestrians, bicyclists and pets are all a whole lot less conspicuous than police cars....

And on the off chance that you did see the police car and decided to roll through the stop sign anyway, you deserve a ticket, if just for the arrogance…

SteveL
06-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I never saw the so-called "slide" listed in Pennsylvania's Vehicle Code.
I used to love sitting in a marked car, plainly visible,about 50' downthe side street, in broad daylight, in good weather.
It was like shooting fish in a barrel.
The surprising thing was that most of those that I stopped and wrote were locals.
The same boobs that would cry at the commissioners meetings that the police never patrol their neighborhood.

J9
06-18-2008, 01:14 PM
-

Ian
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Your last sentence is exactly the reason why it is NOT acceptable to "slide" through a stop sign. If there were no cars anywhere to be seen, then where was the cop? I'll tell you where - in a marked police car at the same intersection where you (I’m using “you” generally, not "you" specifically)just rolled through a stop sign without stopping.Uh ... there's a marked difference between a police car clandestinely parked somewhere waiting for people to run a stop sign and cars waiting at an interesection to cross the street.

Again ... I'm a pretty smart and savvy guy. I can tell the difference. Can everyone? No. I'm just talking about me.

Some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. For those people I recommend ... don't try it. Ditto the slide.

And if I get a ticket then yes ... I deserve it. I didn't say I didn't ... I just said I thought it was stupid. Traffic tickets are, by and large, a revenue generator and nothing more.

mktiggerman
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Driving too slowly under the limit and tailgating.

Seasonscraps
06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
As a pedestrian that has to cross a 4 way stop intersection daily - I am very anti-slide through the stop sign. I am appalled at how many drivers do that when people are walking across the street and I am convinced this is where I am going to meet my death. It takes what - 5 seconds to come to a complete stop?

J9
06-19-2008, 12:28 AM
As a pedestrian that has to cross a 4 way stop intersection daily - I am very anti-slide through the stop sign. I am appalled at how many drivers do that when people are walking across the street and I am convinced this is where I am going to meet my death. It takes what - 5 seconds to come to a complete stop?

This is another matter entirely. Pedestrians always have the right of way - at least in crosswalks!!! (I almost saw some high schooler get hit today because he decided it would be better to run through 3 lanes of traffic rather than wait for his light to turn green. He wasn't even near the crosswalk either! And then he LAUGHED about it!)

Dragongirlx
06-19-2008, 03:58 AM
This is another matter entirely. Pedestrians always have the right of way - at least in crosswalks!!! (I almost saw some high schooler get hit today because he decided it would be better to run through 3 lanes of traffic rather than wait for his light to turn green. He wasn't even near the crosswalk either! And then he LAUGHED about it!)

This really annoys me. When people just walk out in the road even when their is a crossing not a minute away

Seasonscraps
06-19-2008, 05:35 AM

You would think that pedestrians lawfully walking in the cross walk with the right of way wouldn't have to worry about cars not stopping. But I think the mentality that it's not a big deal when no one is around just sticks with some drivers.

This really annoys me. When people just walk out in the road even when their is a crossing not a minute away

I agree 100% This was part of my original answer to this question...

For pedestrians...jay walking. I cannot tell you how many people I see crossing against lights into oncoming traffic which is dangerous for them & the driver. I am 100% sure in a showdown between a car and a pedestrian - the car will win everytime! I think waiting for the light to change is worth the wait.

garymacd
06-19-2008, 10:08 AM

Sorry, Ian. A "slide" is never acceptable at a stop sign. It's a "Stop" sign, not a "Slide" sign. If it was a slide sign, it wouldn't say "Stop".

Can't say I have ever seen a "Slide" sign. Maybe a "Yield" sign, but never a "Slide" sign.

In the Niagara region of Ontario, much of the area is rural with lots of stop sign intersections. Nobody seems to pay attention to them and have attempted lots of slides. I think there were about 10 fatal accidents at these "Slide" signs last year. Many of these were young people. Very sad.

As for "reasonably intelligent", give me a break! Most people leave their brains at home when they leave for work. Why else are they driving at 140 km/h while shaving, talking on the phone and reading a book all at the same time while lighting a smoke and weaving in and around traffic and yelling at everyone else for being idiots on the road? If people were reasonably intelligent, I would be out of a job!

Sorry. Ranting. EVERY motor vehicle collision and most fires I have attended were caused by "reasonably intelligent" people.

"Hey! I got an idea! Let's burn out that wasp's nest in the eaves with a propane torch right near the incoming electric lines while standing on an aluminum ladder!"

There are NO ACCIDENTS!

SteveL
06-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Experience has taught me that many people don't even turn their heads to look as they approach a stop intersection. Many simply rely on what they happen to notice in their peripheral vision as drive on while they listen to their music, talk on their phones, yell at their kids, and everything else they do.

crazypoohbear
06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I am Sure if we questioned all the people who do the things that Annoy us while driving every one of them would say the same thing as Ian... that they beleive the know what they are doing, that they are safely breaking the law and that they don't cause accidents it is the "others" who don't have the common sense to break the laws correctly!
I dont' think anyone on the road goes out and says to themselves, "I am going to drive like a Jack today and try to cause as many accidents as I can!"

The point is it's the law, if you feel strongly that it is wrong then go to your city councilor/selectman/ombudsman or whatever and get the road rules changed don't break the law and then explain that "you can do it because you are experienced"

Ian
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
You misundertand me ... I understand that it's the law and that I'm not in any way, shape, or form above the law.

I choose to ignore the law in a very limited set of controlled circumstances, knowing full well that I'm at risk of getting a ticket. I accept that risk and will gladly pay the ticket should it be issued.

I would certainly support any politician who advocated modifying traffic laws to focus more on real safety issues (and some common sense enforcement) and less on revenue generation.

But good luck finding one of those.

DizneeRX
06-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Uh ... there's a marked difference between a police car clandestinely parked somewhere waiting for people to run a stop sign and cars waiting at an interesection to cross the street.

Again ... I'm a pretty smart and savvy guy. I can tell the difference. Can everyone? No. I'm just talking about me.

Some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. For those people I recommend ... don't try it. Ditto the slide.

Umm...your post really makes no sense at all...My point was pretty simple, but it seems as though you missed it. I'll try again:

You wrote - "Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a cop to write a ticket for a slide if there are no other cars anywhere to be seen at the intersection."

My point - Obviously there was another car there - the POLICE CAR. You just didn't see it. You cannot possibly be paying close enough attention to your driving if you miss seeing a police car at an intersection that YOU STATE is completely clear of other cars.

Your argument - the police car was clandestinely parked.

Where was it hidden??? YOU ALREADY WROTE that the intersection was completely clear of cars. Really now - it's a big police car, and by your account, the only car at the intersection, and you didn't see it. Certainly if YOU didn't see it, it MUST be hidden. YOU would never miss anything like that - you're a pretty smart and savy guy. It couldn't possibly be that you were driving unsafely.

Seasonscraps
06-19-2008, 03:24 PM
You misundertand me ... I understand that it's the law and that I'm not in any way, shape, or form above the law.

I choose to ignore the law in a very limited set of controlled circumstances, knowing full well that I'm at risk of getting a ticket. I accept that risk and will gladly pay the ticket should it be issued.

I would certainly support any politician who advocated modifying traffic laws to focus more on real safety issues (and some common sense enforcement) and less on revenue generation.

But good luck finding one of those.

You don't think coming to complete stops at intersections is a safety issue? While traffic tickets are revenue generating; they are really punishment for not following the law. Raising taxes would be more efficient way to increase revenue - then there wouldn't be cops staking out street corners for sliders.

J9
06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
You don't think coming to complete stops at intersections is a safety issue? While traffic tickets are revenue generating; they are really punishment for not following the law. Raising taxes would be more efficient way to increase revenue - then there wouldn't be cops staking out street corners for sliders.

To be perfectly blunt - no, I don't.

I think the bigger issue that the police should be concentrating on is people running red lights, people shooting other people, rape, armed robberies, hit and runs, going above 15 in a school zone, drunk driving, talking on cell phones, etc.

I feel like stop signs are the lesser of all evils, and yet that is what seems to be the focus of a lot of law enforcement (I'm not saying all, but a LOT). I can't name how many times I see people blatantly blowing red lights when there are cars coming with the right of way. At least people who slide actually DO look first before making their decision.

Ian
06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
This conversation has degnerated into a pointless back and forth.

Suffice it to say that I completely agree with Janine and find this to be one of those mindless "zero tolerance" kind of issues that annoy me to no end.

I'm done with this discussion now ... I think there's a stop sign out there somewhere I need to go slide through. ;)

MauiMouse
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM

I'll tell you my story about running red lights. I'm actually very lucky to be here right now. I probably shouldn't be because of someone who ran a red light.

I hit him, yes that's correct, he ran a red light but I hit them in the passenger side. If it would have been a couple seconds later he would have hit me and probably killed me. I was banged up pretty good too. I can still hear the screams coming from the other car. He did unfortunately learn his lesson though as he killed himself and his wife who was the passenger in the car. Believe me when I say that even though it's not your fault you feel terrible about the outcome. There were flowers at the site and the first time I went by I got sick, yes you learn over time to deal with it, but it still plays in the back of your mind. I learned a lot about this gentlemen and his wife over the course of a couple weeks. One of my co-workers at the time actually knew one of their children. He was known to red run lights as I was told.

Also I would like to add, that I was wearing my seatbelt, while the other two people in the other car were not. Plus you couldn't believe the 3rd degree I got at the hospital from the staff, thinking that I was the one at fault. Again I'll never ever forget that day.

This happened to me back in 1995 and believe me I still remember this accident today and when ever I see anyone running a red light or traffic light I think twice.

J9
06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
This happened to me back in 1985 and believe me I still remember this accident today and when ever I see anyone running a red light or traffic light I think twice.

That definitely was in no way your fault, but I can see how it would still be on your mind.

My grandfather is like this as well - he is known to run red lights and we always yell at him about it. We have a street called Roosevelt Boulevard and the #2 and #3 most dangerous intersections in the country are on this road. They've installed cameras on most of the street's intersections.

My grandfather always gets camera tickets, but insists that he didn't run the light. He just can't understand that the camera will not take your picture unless the light is red when you cross the line. He and my grandmother actually made a list of all of the intersections where there are cameras and they avoid those intersections. (She doesn't drive, but she's his accomplice!!)

I always yell at them about this because I think instead of making a list of where all the cameras are to avoid, my grandfather should instead make sure he stops at the lights. There's more than one way to avoid a camera ticket!

MauiMouse
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
That definitely was in no way your fault, but I can see how it would still be on your mind.

My grandfather is like this as well - he is known to run red lights and we always yell at him about it. We have a street called Roosevelt Boulevard and the #2 and #3 most dangerous intersections in the country are on this road. They've installed cameras on most of the street's intersections.

My grandfather always gets camera tickets, but insists that he didn't run the light. He just can't understand that the camera will not take your picture unless the light is red when you cross the line. He and my grandmother actually made a list of all of the intersections where there are cameras and they avoid those intersections. (She doesn't drive, but she's his accomplice!!)

I always yell at them about this because I think instead of making a list of where all the cameras are to avoid, my grandfather should instead make sure he stops at the lights. There's more than one way to avoid a camera ticket!

Believe me it takes a long time, but I know that I wasn't at fault. :(

I hope that nothing like this happens to your grandfather, because yes it does happen. I've lived through it.

crazypoohbear
06-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I am very sorry that you had to endure the agony of your accident. I can only imagine how awful you felt. It seems to me that people who have been involved in accidents or have had loved ones involved in accidents are the ones that seem most passionate about this subject.
I had a beloved aunt killed while she and her husband were driving home from dinner with my mom. They were driving the speed limit and on their own side of the road. A girl crossed the double yellow line and hit them head on, My aunt was killed instantly. My uncle lived with minor injuries but really he died that day as well. He has never been the same and not a day goes by that he isn't mourning his wife. It is sad and senseless.
I'm sure the girl who killed my aunt thought she was driving just fine also.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Not for nothin', but who the heck stops for 30 seconds at a stop sign??? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Sorry gang! I meant 3 seconds. Although I used to count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then go.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-21-2008, 12:15 AM
At least people who slide actually DO look first before making their decision.
Just a question: how do you KNOW they look before making their decision to break the law?

I had a friend killed in FL years ago because someone ran a stop sign. I'm sure John didn't know about the unwritten law that it was OK to go if you didn't see someone coming. By the way, he was on a motorcycle. No quite as easy to see them as it is to see a car.

I'm actually guilty of running a stop sign right here in my town. It was put up recently and I wasn't expecting to see it so went right through it! I haven't made that mistake again. Luckily I didn't run into anyone and I didn't get caught.

And then there was another street that kept changing between a stop and yield sign. A cop actually pulled me over for running the "stop" sign. I told him that it was NOT a stop sign. He had to go look while I waited. It was a yield sign at that point. They finally kept it as a stop sign.

J9
06-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Just a question: how do you KNOW they look before making their decision to break the law?

Not to start this up again, but sliding is different than completely just running the stop sign.

tinkerbellybutton
06-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I guess I can understand where J9 is coming from but the point is, you are the exception. At one of our more dangerous intersections last year someone "slid" through a yeild, not even a stop, and killed a senior two days before his grad. They just this year changed all of the signs at that intersection to stops but I still see pople pull up, guage distance and just run on through.:mad:

garymacd
06-22-2008, 03:24 PM
First: I think I need to apologise for starting the "not stopping at stop signs" thingy. Didn't think it would get so heated.

Next:

Where there isn't a bike lane, you are supposed to stay to the right of the road. Well let me tell you, hardly anyone uses the bike lanes, and many bikers veer more towards the middle of the road than the side.

I know this. I am a cycle-commuter. It's only 20 km to work and 20 back. I do apologise for perhaps cutting anyone off if I stray too far from the right side of the lane. (I have been hit even right next to the curb. So much for share the road.) If Philly streets are anything like Hamilton's (and I think they are, we have the same cold, snowy winters and hot summers) cyclists quite often have to veer out of the bike lane or away from the curb due to broken glass or more often broken, cracked, poorly patched and pot-holed roads. Not to mention storm sewers grates that haven't been upgraded to stop my tires from going into them. I usually give lots of warning of my intentions and use mirrors to ensure I can do things safely. But that's just me.

That's all.

J9
06-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I know this. I am a cycle-commuter. It's only 20 km to work and 20 back. I do apologise for perhaps cutting anyone off if I stray too far from the right side of the lane. (I have been hit even right next to the curb. So much for share the road.) If Philly streets are anything like Hamilton's (and I think they are, we have the same cold, snowy winters and hot summers) cyclists quite often have to veer out of the bike lane or away from the curb due to broken glass or more often broken, cracked, poorly patched and pot-holed roads. Not to mention storm sewers grates that haven't been upgraded to stop my tires from going into them. I usually give lots of warning of my intentions and use mirrors to ensure I can do things safely. But that's just me.

That's all.

I think that would be understandable.

The problem I have with bikers is more of them riding in the middle of the street and weaving in and out of traffic. And also biking on the wrong side of the street against the flow of traffic. It's just not a good idea.

Wells
06-22-2008, 06:43 PM
The traffic law in almost every state in the union says "lane #1 (the far left lane) is for passing only!" It doesnt say if you are going the speed limit, you can squat there!
If I am speeding, that is my concern, not yours.
I think that this has caused more "road rage" incidents than any other inconsiderate driving habit.:mad:

PirateLover
06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
First: I think I need to apologise for starting the "not stopping at stop signs" thingy. Didn't think it would get so heated.

Next:

That's all.

You sound like a responsible biker. The ones I'm talking about are not. I understand the need to veer towards the center sometimes. I myself bike to work occasionally. I have nothing against bikers in general, it just seems like more times than not, many feel that they don't really have to follow the rules.

DizneeRX
06-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Suffice it to say that I completely agree with Janine and find this to be one of those mindless "zero tolerance" kind of issues that annoy me to no end.

Mindless? No, not at all. It's just that some posters have kind of self-centered arrogance that will not allow them to see that their actions are potentially harmful to others.

How dare someone suggest that you actually stop at a stop sign!

garymacd
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
How dare someone suggest that you actually stop at a stop sign!

Yes. I am a bad person! :rotfl:

J9
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Mindless? No, not at all. It's just that some posters have kind of self-centered arrogance that will not allow them to see that their actions are potentially harmful to others.

I wholly disagree and sort of actually take offense to this statement! I understand how not stopping at a stop sign is dangerous. I do not see how sliding after looking both ways for clearance is dangerous, however. I do not think I am self-centered or arrogant in any way.

A Big Kid
06-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Two things:

1. It should be legal in the US to re-end slow drivers in the left lane. I am sorry, but get out of the lane if you are not traveling with the fast traffic.

2. Police pulling you over for speeding when you follow them. When I was in court to fight the ticket, I told the judge I am in complete agreement for the ticket only if the officer, who was present, is ticketed and charged the same penalty with points. This would have cost him his car duty job and he would be stuck behind a desk. He dropped the ticket :D

I dont believe that for a second.

Like it or not, police officers are exempt from traffic laws.

Boojum
06-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Police pulling you over for speeding when you follow them. When I was in court to fight the ticket, I told the judge I am in complete agreement for the ticket only if the officer, who was present, is ticketed and charged the same penalty with points. This would have cost him his car duty job and he would be stuck behind a desk. He dropped the ticket

I did this once, on my way home from college. Followed a state trooper who was doing about 90 on the I65. He didn't pull me over. I can't decide if it was the smartest or the dumbest thing I've ever done.

crazypoohbear
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
I wholly disagree and sort of actually take offense to this statement! I understand how not stopping at a stop sign is dangerous. I do not see how sliding after looking both ways for clearance is dangerous, however. I do not think I am self-centered or arrogant in any way.

I think I just out this debate.
PA does not have yellow paint or triangles in the state because if it was safe to "slide" then they would have put up a YEILD sign instead of a stop sign. So maybe they only use the eight sided red signs because they ran out of the yellow three sided signs.

J9
06-23-2008, 03:51 PM
I think I just out this debate.
PA does not have yellow paint or triangles in the state because if it was safe to "slide" then they would have put up a YEILD sign instead of a stop sign. So maybe they only use the eight sided red signs because they ran out of the yellow three sided signs.

I give up...everyone is too stubborn on the stop sign issue.

I'm not trying to start this up again - I just took offense at being called self-centered and arrogant.

crazypoohbear
06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I give up...everyone is too stubborn on the stop sign issue.

I'm not trying to start this up again - I just took offense at being called self-centered and arrogant.

I don't blame you for taking offense. I would have too.

amd780
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Not coming to a complete stop before taking a right on red. I can't believe how many people I see blow right through without even hitting the brakes.

I used to see something like this all the time--I just moved from Fairfield, CT where there are a lot of 4-way stop signs. I can't even tell you how many times I would be stopped at the line waiting my turn, when someone from behind comes flying out to my right and sneaks by to make a right hand turn!

SteveL
06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd like to see Philadelphia PD start to ticket and tow those that park in middle of Broad Street and those that double park.

DisneyDudet
06-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Wow, y'all.

This thread went in a COMPLETELY different direction then I had planned it (I know it happens).

I don't want controversy, bickering, or hurt feelings to be a part of this thread. I would hate to see this thread closed, I just wanted to see if others had any peeves like I do.

Let's all get along, and drop the whole stop sign sliding issue.

I have found a new peeve! People not moving over into the empty lane when you are entering onto a highway. Here in Texas, especially on I-35, the entrance lanes are WAY short, which gives you about zero seconds to get onto the highway. There are usually 2 lanes, and some poo-head is always taking his Sunday drive on a Thursday in the right lane, while the left lane is completely open. You are coming along and need to enter the highway, and he just poo's right along, usually slowing down. Come on dude, move over! I understand its a courtesy and not a law, but really!!

Seasonscraps
06-28-2008, 12:44 AM
I have found a new peeve! People not moving over into the empty lane when you are entering onto a highway. Here in Texas, especially on I-35, the entrance lanes are WAY short, which gives you about zero seconds to get onto the highway. There are usually 2 lanes, and some poo-head is always taking his Sunday drive on a Thursday in the right lane, while the left lane is completely open. You are coming along and need to enter the highway, and he just poo's right along, usually slowing down. Come on dude, move over! I understand its a courtesy and not a law, but really!!

I am with ya on this one!!!

Last week I was trying to merge onto the highway - the only other car in sight was the one right next to me. Why? There's a whole highway here - two other empty lanes. At least, speed up so I can get behind you. No? Ok, I'll just stop since I am out of ramp and wait for you to get out of the way. :rolleyes:

crazypoohbear
06-28-2008, 10:08 AM
How about the people who are petrifed of driving but do it anyway. You know the ones, you see them puttering down the highway "safely driving 20 MPH UNDER the speed limit! white knuckled not looking left or right, staring bug eyed straight ahead, possibly taking up two lanes because they need to make sure no one drives next to them or passes them. ( too distracting)
They stop 20 feet from the stop line. Usually they can't see over the steering wheel to begin with.
They pull into a parking lot and take 20 tries to pull STRAIGHT IN!! Don't even get me started on them backing out of said parking spot! Then the almost take out the pedestrians in the cross walk and are oblivious to the yelling and gesturing going on around them!

J9
06-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I'd like to see Philadelphia PD start to ticket and tow those that park in middle of Broad Street and those that double park.

This is SOOOO annoying! (Although I've noticed a lot of the middle-of-the-street parkers are usually in front of funeral homes when there are services going on....I guess I can excuse that.)

But for the most part....I hate Broad Street and loathe driving it every day. I can't stand when people go real slow and then pop on the hazards when they could have just as easily pulled into the parking lane instead of blocking a traffic lane. And don't even get me started on the dummies who turn left on the red lights. I must see at least 5 cars do that each trip!

garymacd
06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
OKAY, okay! Again I apologise for starting the whole stop sign thingy!

Boy, am I glad I didn't say anything about turning left directly into the right lane, or turning right into the left lane!:thedolls:

Whew!

garymacd
06-28-2008, 11:04 PM
I dont believe that for a second.

Like it or not, police officers are exempt from traffic laws.

Police are NOT exempt from traffic laws. They must follow the same rules of the road as everyone else. If they cause an accident, they are at fault and will be charged. It is difficult to charge a police officer for traffic offenses, since they work alone.

It happened just recently here in Ontario when an Ontario Provincial Police officer was pulled over for travelling more than 50 km/h over the speed limit - IN HIS CRUISER!!! He was charged under the new laws regarding street racing and the cruiser was impounded. Huge fine, lots of points, license suspended, court appearance.

Having said that, the only traffic law emergency vehicles are allowed to break is the speed limit, only while responding to an emergency call with lights and siren on and only if traffic and road conditions permit. If they cause an accident while doing this, they will be charged. It has happened.

To grind up and put more salt into an old wound, emergency responders must also come to a complete stop at all stop signs and red lights and proceed through only when the way is clear and must have lights and sirens activated while doing so.

If you feel strongly enough about the issue and you see this behaviour, take down the vehicle number and time and date and report it to the police. Follow it up with a call to your local councillor/alderman/mayor/police chief/fire chief.

Over the past few years, an average of 26 firefighters have died in North America each year in traffic mishaps. Excessive speed, failure to stop at stop signs/red lights (Oops, there I go again! :thedolls:) and failure to wear seatbelts have been the main contributing factors.

So. One last thing: if you see an emergency vehicle coming up behind you, or toward you, you MUST pull to the side and come to a COMPLETE stop. What if you roll into the middle of an intersection they want to turn at? Again, it has happened.

crazypoohbear
06-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Another pet peeve I have is people who stop in the line of traffic and Block the entry/exit to other roads. there is a stop light on one road and the entrance to my street is about 75 feet up from the stop light. WHY do people insist on pulling up to the bumper of the car in front of them and blocking the entry to my street???
that way no one can go past me because I have to stop and wait for the light to change in order to turn. This especially burns me because I live around the corner from the Hospital and emergency vehicles can't get through either without fancy manuvering from the yahoo who thought they would make sure that no one snuck out of the side street in front of them!! :thedolls:

A Big Kid
06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Police are NOT exempt from traffic laws. They must follow the same rules of the road as everyone else. If they cause an accident, they are at fault and will be charged. It is difficult to charge a police officer for traffic offenses, since they work alone.

It happened just recently here in Ontario when an Ontario Provincial Police officer was pulled over for travelling more than 50 km/h over the speed limit - IN HIS CRUISER!!! He was charged under the new laws regarding street racing and the cruiser was impounded. Huge fine, lots of points, license suspended, court appearance.

Having said that, the only traffic law emergency vehicles are allowed to break is the speed limit, only while responding to an emergency call with lights and siren on and only if traffic and road conditions permit. If they cause an accident while doing this, they will be charged. It has happened.

To grind up and put more salt into an old wound, emergency responders must also come to a complete stop at all stop signs and red lights and proceed through only when the way is clear and must have lights and sirens activated while doing so.

If you feel strongly enough about the issue and you see this behaviour, take down the vehicle number and time and date and report it to the police. Follow it up with a call to your local councillor/alderman/mayor/police chief/fire chief.

Over the past few years, an average of 26 firefighters have died in North America each year in traffic mishaps. Excessive speed, failure to stop at stop signs/red lights (Oops, there I go again! :thedolls:) and failure to wear seatbelts have been the main contributing factors.

So. One last thing: if you see an emergency vehicle coming up behind you, or toward you, you MUST pull to the side and come to a COMPLETE stop. What if you roll into the middle of an intersection they want to turn at? Again, it has happened.

I know I must be wrong since I have been a police officer for the last decade and a half. As long as they are on duty, they are exempt from traffic laws. Like it or not.

There is no requirement to use lights and sirens. (For instance, responding to a bank robbery in progress- when nearing the location, officers routinely turn off their lights and sirens so they dont tip off the bad guys that they are arriving.)

Running stop signs, speeding, going the wrong way down one way streets, driving without headlights, etc....dont have to do it. The only stipulation is that they have to use due diligence when operating a police car in that manner or, of course, they will pay the price.

garymacd
06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
I know I must be wrong since I have been a police officer for the last decade and a half. As long as they are on duty, they are exempt from traffic laws. Like it or not.

There is no requirement to use lights and sirens. (For instance, responding to a bank robbery in progress- when nearing the location, officers routinely turn off their lights and sirens so they dont tip off the bad guys that they are arriving.)

Running stop signs, speeding, going the wrong way down one way streets, driving without headlights, etc....dont have to do it. The only stipulation is that they have to use due diligence when operating a police car in that manner or, of course, they will pay the price.

Maybe laws are different in Canada?

Itchy
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
As a police officer for 34 years I agree with all of your complaints. I fly a desk now and every day when I get off work I see the exact violations that you have been talking about and say to myself, Where is a Cop when you need one.

In their defense I must say that when I am at my desk I hear our officers being dispatched to call after call and we have about 8 officers on the road at a given time. There is just not enough time to devote to traffic related issues when you are going to fights, alarms sounding, shoplifting, and other non- traffic issues.

I dont think that there is a magic cure.

I feel your pain and understand:mickey:

Just say to yourselves, There's no place like disneyworld, There's no place like disney world.:blush: