PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy to take my 16 month old to WDW?

eas423
06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
DD is our only child, she will be 16 months old in Sept, when we usually prefer to go to WDW. We miss WDW and really want to go back but just aren't sure DD will enjoy the trip enough. We haven't been since she's been born. We are considering a short trip (4 days). Are we crazy? I know kids of all ages go all the time, I guess I'm just second guessing this...

What's the youngest age you have taken a only child? What did your child like to do? Should we wait 1 more year?

disneydeb
06-10-2008, 09:09 PM
My happiest memories were seeing my children's faces the first time they saw things in the world. Go, take her, enjoy the moment, your memories will last a lifetime!

:mickey:

Strmchsr
06-10-2008, 09:14 PM
At 16 months you can certainly do the trip, just keep in mind the child's limitations. Don't expect too much. Let the child enjoy things at her pace. She'll be fascinated looking around, but will also probably get overstimulated at times, so plan breaks. Go back to the resort in the afternoon to let her cool off in the pool or in the room rather than the stroller. Use baby swap and keep in mind that this trip is for you, not the baby. She won't remember any of it, but with good planning you can have some fantastic memories.

Madame Leona
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
My oldest ds will be 2.5 on our next trip and it will be his third time going. He was 11 months on his first trip. We went on all of the rides he could and he enjoyed them all. He was a little shy of the characters so we really didn't push any of them. He acted like he was in awe when he saw Mickey Mouse the first time up close and he actually hugged him. He sees pictures and swears he remembers it but I really don't think so. The whole point is, I have wonderful memories and we had a so much fun getting away from the day to day things as a family. If you want to go, you should go.

Jarrod
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
We started taking our kids when they were 2.5 and 6 mo and have taken them every year at least once. The youngest one does not remember the early trips, but WDW makes it so easy for young ones, that we really enjoyed, it. The baby care centers are great and we used them multiple times everyday. They offer a great place to take a break and are air conditioned which is nice. You can take the baby on most rides in Fantasy Land. The thing that he really watched and enjoyed when he was 18 months was the parades, especially Spectromagic. So, go and enjoy, just remeber to take it easy.

Coach48
06-10-2008, 09:42 PM
DO IT ! Took first trip with the kids when youngest was 17 mos.Even if he didn't get it,he still had wonder in his eyes at the spectacle of it all.Wife and I loved seeing that.Took the new baby last trip(Feb 08)at 5 mos.That was a little more challenging but there were no issues we couldn't cope with.I say again,definitely go.You won't be sorry.

disneygeek84
06-10-2008, 09:55 PM
The first time my youngest sister (there's 4 of us) went she was 13 weeks old and she's been nearly every year since then (She'll be 18 in Sept!). The rest of us went for the first time around 3-4 years old. My mom said she wished that she had brought us all when we were much younger. But mostly I think it all just depends on your child. If you think she can handle it, then go for it! Just remember to take lots of breaks and don't skip nap time! :D This will be helpful to the both of you. My mom always took us back in the afternoon for a nap while my dad stayed in the park and did some things that only he would like to do.

Remember to take lots of pictures and video it if you can, that way she can watch it when she's older and see what she was like on her first Disney trip. We have videos of my first trip and my younger sisters first trip. They're nice because I can kind of remember my first trip, but not really, so I can watch it instead of having to remember it!

Have a magical trip!! :mickey:

dfamasb
06-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I say go for it!!
My twins went for the first time at 9 months and my DS went at 6 months (twins were 2.5). As long as you go with the right expectations you all should enjoy the trip. Take it easy, midday breaks are a must to keep little ones from getting overstimulated. And a bonus taking babies, they're free!!

tinkerbellybutton
06-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Definately do it! My first trip to the world I was just over a year old, the year they opened. The first trip for DS was at 7 months and we're taking the grandbaby in Sept, he will be 10 months. As someone else said, let the baby set the pace. We had a great time on DS first trip, he LOVED the characters, it was like he thought they were giant stuffed animals and he was all over that. :D He doesn't remember it but I do, there were many moments that the look on his face was priceless. Have a great trip!

BTW I recommend bringing a large comfy stroller instead of just an umbrella type. For a young one that age it gives them the freedom to doze if they need to.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
My happiest memories were seeing my children's faces the first time they saw things in the world. Go, take her, enjoy the moment, your memories will last a lifetime!

Well said, Disneydeb!:mickey: First time we took the Princess she was 18 mos. old. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

eas423
06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Thank you so much for the encouragement, I knew this was the right group to ask! ;) We did a few trips that were totally for us (major rides, good dining, going hard all day long in the parks) before we were pregnant, so that when the time came to bring kids, we could completely focus on making the trip fun for them. I think I just got a little overwhelmed at the idea now that we are actually planning it!!

She can go on most Fantasyland attractions, right? Obviously with us?

Gator
06-11-2008, 12:38 AM
I took my DD at 17 months and it was an awakening for her. It was at WDW that she moved out of the baby mode and into toddler. She really loved it. And she wasn't scared of the large characters or dark rides like a 3yo would be. Just let her nap in a stroller that you bring along so that she's comfortable.

kakn7294
06-11-2008, 06:33 AM
We took DD when she was 13 mo, niece when she was 6 mo, and nephew when he was 5 mo. They were all great. Just take things at the baby's schedule and enjoy watching her experience Disney for the first time. I was just looking at our pics from that first trip with DD a few days ago - great memories! She doesn't remember but loves to look at the pictures and hear the stories.

Dyanna
06-11-2008, 09:04 AM
We took our DD last Oct & she was only 10 months old. She loved the characters. Go for it!

kathiep
06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Definately go!

My DD was 19 months on her first trip. It was truly magical. She loved everything. Seeing the wonder on her face was priceless.

Just remember to take it slow and enjoy all the little things. SOme of the simple things held the most fascination for her.

princessbellemom
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM
We took our daughter for the first time shortly after her second birthday and I definitely do not regret it. She truly enjoyed herself and we are taking her back this December. She will be 4 for the upcoming visit and she talks about the rides she wants to go on and all the princesses that she wants to see again. I am surprised at how much she remembers from her first visit and if I had known she would enjoy and remember it so much we would have taken her even sooner for her first visit.

dfamasb
06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
She will be able to go on pretty much anything without a height restriction. Just consider the ride beforehand and her temperment. I'm sure you will have a great time!

hunnyluvsthemouse
06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
I have 3 sons ages 13, 10, and our youngest DS will be 5 in August and he has been to the world 11 times, and is talking now that he wants to go back even though he's already been twice this year. His first trip was when he was 3 months old.

Age of children has never been a factor for not taking a trip. We just go with the flow and do what their limits may be based on their age. If youngest doesn't want to ride something or can't based on height (he's a little guy), DH and I take turns waiting with him while older boys ride.

All of them love watching home videos of when they were little at Disney. Enjoy them, you'll be glad that you didn't wait.

RenDuran
06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
My daughter learned to walk at WDW when she was 16 months old! I have some great pics of her stumbling around in Tomorrowland!

mickey&missy
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with everyone, go for it! My DS was 9 months on our trip in March and it was great! I will cherish the pic of him meeting mickey for the first time forever! He was wonderful and had a great time! We are going again in January, he'll be 19 months. I expect the same wonderful experience! Enjoy your trip!

wire0monkey
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Kids under three get in free and eat free (from your plate)! How can you turn that down!

I took my youngest to WDW for the first time when he was 12 months. We've been back twice since then.

He had fun, and I had fun. It wasn't the same as taking a kid who can ride all the rides, but there was plenty to do.

We like restaurants so it was very nice to have time to go to a sit down restaurant where my children were welcome.

wire0monkey
06-11-2008, 10:58 AM
We went back when my youngest was 18 months.

Here's what I took him on and his reactions:

Epcot
Rio de Tiempo (cool)
Maelstrom (cool)
Turtle Talk with Crush (cool)
The Seas pavilion and fish tanks (cool)
Living with the Land(cool)
American Experience (boring!)
all of the street shows (very cool! Loved the taiko drummers)

Magic Kingdom
Pooh (cool)
It's a Small World (cool)
Carousel (boring)
Haunted Mansion (cool; not scared at all)
Tom Sawyer's Island (cool)
Country Bear Jamboree (cool)
Tiki Room (boring)
Swiss Family Treehouse (cool)
Magic Carpets of Aladdin (cool)
Jungle Cruise (cool)
Pirates of the Carribean (cool; not scared at all, even though it's loud in there)
Tommorrowland Transit Authority (cool)
Buzz Lightyear (cool, but a little overwhelmed by the noise and activity)
Pooh's playground (cool)

Disney Studios
Playhouse Disney Live! (Absolutely rocked out! It was his favorite part of the trip.)
Muppetvision 3d (boring)
Great Movie Ride (liked it. His older brother freaked out, though.)
Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground (cool)

Animal Kingdom
Kilimanjaro Safaris (cool)
Pagani Forest Trail (cool)
Maharaja Jungle Trek (cool)
Flights of Wonder (boring)
the Boneyard (cool)
Triceratops Spin (cool)
African drum show (cool)
Animal encounters and cms with animals (cool)

RBrooksC
06-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I took my son last year at 18 months. He loved it. While he really didn't know exactly what was happening, he loved the characters and the rides. He went on every ride in Fantasyland, The Haunted Mansion, POTC, Jungle Cruise, and Buzz Lightyear at the MK. Oh, and to blow off steam, we went to Tom Sawyer Island and let him run around which was fun.

We made no indication that the Haunted Mansion nor Snow White was scary so my son actually laughed during the scary scenes there. Also, the boat rides between the WL and CR or MK were favorites also.

Our best laid plans of taking breaks at lunch were dashed when he would fall asleep in his stroller well before we planned to leave for a break, so we would just wander through the parks, I would ride rides and we just spent the whole day there.

The night was always capped with playtime in the pool.

We hope to go back to WDW no later than when my son is about five so he can go on a majority of the rides in all the parks. It will be interesting to see how differently he reacts to everything when he is older.

andreallybadeggs
06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
"Am I crazy to take my 16 month old to WDW?"

Yes, of course. But when you asked the good folk of Intercot, you had to have known what the response would be which means...
1) You really want to go
2) You really should go
3) You'll have a wonderful trip and can share those memories with your little one even if only through photos, video, and dinner time stories.

BTW-- this would be a good time to start a "same photo/different trip" family tradition.
Have fun :mickey:

momof3+twins
06-12-2008, 08:52 PM
We took our kids for the first time at 15 months, 2 years and 10 months.
You are not crazy. They enjoy it.
Keep naps in mind, and skip ALL the shows. They can't sit long enough for that.
Have fun. You won't regret it!!
Oh, and stay longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Septbride2002
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I took my little one at 16 months old and again at 22 months. It was FANTASTIC! My trip report can be found on my home page - it is called 2007 Food and Wine Festival Trip - you can read all about it.

~Amanda

Dakota Rose
06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
DS's first trip to WDW was when he was just 18 mos. It was sooooooooooo fun! The hardest things were the time change (we lived in CA at the time) and juggling the stroller as we got on/off the buses. But I would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, DD is due in July and we're going in January.

Mommy2boys
06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
We took DS when he was 15mths and we really enjoyed it. Sure we were limited to what we could do but we all reallt enjoyed ourselves.:mickey:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes, I say definitely go for it!

All of my non-Intercot friends would tell me I was "crazy" when I took my boys as toddlers. (My DS now 9 went for the first time at 2 years old. My DS now 5 went for the first time at 12months old.) My response to those who questioned me was..."of course they (my toddler) won't remember the trip. But, I will." The expressions on their face, especially when they see characters from the playhouse disney show are priceless. I cried to see mine get so excited.

I also have a picture from when my parents took me as a toddler in front of Cinderella's castle. I hope to have the same picture of all of my children one day. We are working on completing our family with a little girl from China. I can't wait to take my little princess to WDW!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-17-2008, 11:51 AM
We first went when our kids were 18 mo & 3. My nieces and nephew have all gone around those ages.

A thing to keep in mind are the lovely "Baby Care Centers". They are nice, quiet, cool rooms where they have a little store with baby food, diaper packs (in case you run out), a TV, high chairs, a microwave etc. It's so good to have a place like that available.

My little one was fascinated with all the lights, music and movement around him. He had a wonderful time, despite not knowing who anyone was. I'll never forget when we were leaving for our hotel one day and he turned back to the MK and waved "Buh Bye Ickey".

diz_girl
06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
We will be taking our DS in December, when he will be 17 months. All of our planning decisions will revolve around his schedule, which means that we will do our best to have breakfast by 7:30 a.m., lunch around 11-11:30 a.m., a nap from Noon to 2 p.m., dinner around 5-5:30 p.m., and bedtime by 8 p.m. This should be the easiest way to have a happy toddler (I can't believe he's going to be a toddler soon) and happy parents throughout the trip.

We'll stick to buffets, family-style or counter-service restaurants for our meals, so DS isn't sitting around waiting for food for 1/2 hour before he eats.

We will be driving down to WDW, so we'll be able to use our car to drive to the parks, other than MK and possibly EPCOT (we're staying at WL). Plus, we'll be able to bring a case of water from home, so that we won't spend a fortune on water in the parks. Oh, and we'll make sure that we have cheerios too.

If you were planning to take a vacation anyway, you might as well go to WDW. You'll face similar challenges wherever you vacation, so you might as well go to a place that is family-friendly.

Good luck!

homeschool mom
06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I've never taken an "only" to WDW. The least amount I've taken is 3 and that was a day trip when our DDs were small. We have taken both of our boys at age 13 months and they did wonderfully. If you plan your days, I'm sure you can do it and she will surely love it. One of my favorite things about visiting WDW is seeing it through the eyes of my children! :mickey:

spoonfulosugar
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't think you need any more encouragement, but I just had to chime in. My oldest was 16 months when he went on his first trip. It was awesome to see him enjoy WDW at such a young age. It has worked out that our next trip will fall right when my youngest will be 16 months too-I thought that was kind of neat! You will have so much fun...it'll be a different kind of trip, but you won't want to trade it for for anything. I love sharing Disney magic with my kids nd its fun to see them get sucked into the spirit of it all.

Young@Heart
06-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Honestly, I would take a child even younger than that! :mickey: As long as their needs are being tended to, I don't see any problems w/ it. And WDW is so accomadating to families w/ little ones.