PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition/Diabetes Needs

disneygeek84
06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi all! I've been type 1 diabetic for 15 years now and have visited Disney many many times. This Sept. when my husband and I go will be the first time I go with an insulin pump. And with the new pump comes some new responsibilities, such as counting the carbs that I eat. I have been searching high and low for information on this and cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Is there any way that I can get a nutrition guide to the restaurants before I go, or do I need to just ask at the individual locations that I'm dining at? It's not really that I need to eat anything special I just need to know how many carbs are in the foods that I am eating so I know how much insulin to give myself.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anything would be better than the nothing I've been getting so far!! Thank you all so much.

Strmchsr
06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi! :welcome: to Intercot!!!!

I understand your concern as we took our DS7, who is a type-1 diabetic, to WDW this past November. Unfortunately, there are no nutrition guides at any of the WDW restaurants. The only place you'll find that information will be on packaged snacks/ice cream where the information is on the packaging. So, you have to get really good at guessing.

What we did was once our ADRs were made we looked at the menu with our son and basically decided what he would like to eat at each location. Then we researched to find something comparable to get a good idea on the carbs. When we made our ADRs we noted on each one that DS was a type-1 diabetic. The chef was more than willing to come out and talk with us if we had any concerns and we were able to get exact serving sizes by simply asking the weight or size of the item and comparing that to our research. The food service staff bent over backwards to help us. By doing the leg work beforehand, and with the help of the kitchen staff, we had 1 high and 1 low all week, which is excellent. We don't always do that well at home. :D

I have a little bit more information if you want to PM me your email address that I can pass along, but this is the main bit. One of our other moderators is an adult type-1 diabetic and he might can give further advice.

OhToodles!
06-13-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't have any information on the nutrition information, but I wanted to say good luck with your pump. I've been diabetic for 17 years, since the age of 11 - my 'anniversary' is Monday - and I've had the pump for about a year and a half now. It's been a blessing - not that I was out of control before or anything, but it makes control so much easier. I got on the pump a few months before I became pregnant and I think it really helped with my pregnancy.
Again, just wanted to say good luck with it. Everyone I hear who has a pump really likes it and wouldn't go back to shots.