PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

DestinationWDW
06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Do the parks do anything special for the 4th of July? We will be heading down for a 3 night 4 day trip. We have never visited WDW at this time of year and I was wondering what we should expect during our trip.
Like:

Special Events
Special Fireworks
Crowds
or anything else you can think of:number1:

Thanks in advance

ibrowse17
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
I do know that they have a special fireworks show on the 3rd and 4th, and have heard that crowds are large. You should also be ready for hot and humid weather. Not sure of any other special events, but maybe someone can tell us for sure. Have a great time:thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I can tell you from last year that the crowds are huge!

busterthebronco
06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
i went one year and it was so hot i dont remember much about it!:medic:
the highlight was at SSR they had lots of fun stuff planned for everyone!
are you staying in a DVC resort?

wdwfansince75
06-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Been there several times for the 4th. There are special fireworks for MK for the 3rd and 4th, and also special fireworks at DTD. Fireworks at MK replace Wishes. One year we watched from the parking lot in front of the North Wing of CR. The fireworks were so intense, they were setting off car alarms in the parking lot!

MK fills up early.....parking lot at MK was filled up by 10 AM. Shows have extra touches to mark the 4th. Min Street seems to have extra bunting most of that week.

I usually spent the day in EPCOT. There is usually a special concert, with more patriotic music, at the American Gardens Theatre. Great day to view the American Adventure show. Among other things, there are usually special tee shirts and mugs to mark the event. Got the shirt in 2005, and the mug in 99.

Remember that although the park "fills up", guests of on-site resorts are almost always allowed to enter even the MK.

Yes, it's hot, and yes, it's crowded. And Yes, I would go back again.

DizneyRox
06-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Remember that although the park "fills up", guests of on-site resorts are almost always allowed to enter even the MK.

7/4 is one of those days that even guests staying on-site are not allowed to enter. It does happen, so your best advice would be to get to the parks you want to see the fireworks at AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE BEFORE NOON FOR SURE, and plan on staying all day. This is especially important for MK and Epcot, MGM not so much.

wdwfansince75
06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Talk about timing! Mike Scopa has an article in this week's Allears newsletter entitled "Pleading the Fourth". Think you could access it through Deb's site (allearsnet.com). As usual, Mike does the place true justice in his interesting and timely manner. He reinforced memories of other trips over the fourth. Never made it to the Studios for the Fourth, but I do recall that there were announcements of special version of Fantasmic.

Figment52
06-14-2008, 08:32 PM
We've been down for July 4th on two occasions. DD's birthday is the 9th, so we made a week out of both trips to include the 4th.

It really is a toss up as to whether or not we'd return at that time period. While celebrating the 4th at MK is really awesome - the fireworks are just amazing! - the crowds are just too much. Be prepared for 2+ hour lines at the most popular attractions. Concept of personal space? Forget it. You're packed in like sardines. Not to mention the heat and humidity. Drink at least double the amount of water you'd normally, and be sure to pace yourself.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but MK was open until 2am both times we were there on the 4th. If you've got the stamina, I would take advantage of that and stay. After the fireworks the crowds thinned out immensly, and the lines were more managable - especially in Fantasyland. Not to mention, it was dark so no hot sun beating down.