PDA

View Full Version : Never been to an openning

Gator
06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I've seen some posters asking about park openning ceremonies, and I realized I've never been to one in the 19 days I had an oppurtunity. The closest I got was when I went to Donald's Breakfast at AK - but that was at 8:30 and so I still missed it. I guess it's mainly because I'm from the west coast and never feel like getting up 3 hours earlier than normal. Anyone else in the same boat?

Mousemates
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
My experience is more like...never not been to an opening...DW/DS/DD like to hit the park hard at the opening bell and enjoy the pageantry as well...so I don't think we've ever missed one...and likely won't on any of our park days later this month.

mrsgaribaldi
06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
We've only been to one on our last trip. It was at the AK. We don't like to get up early either:blush:

baby minnie's mommy
06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Don't feel bad - I've tried and tried and still haven't been there for an opening ceremony!

Even on days when we get up early to go, delays seem to add up until it's 10 before we get there! Then sometimes I wake up and look at DD and think "Hmmm, get up early and see opening, or let her get a big more sleep?" At which point I feel if we get there in time, great, - if not, that's ok too.

One thing we try not to do is rush breakfast to get there early. I enjoy spending that mealtime with the family, and savoring being on vacation together. If it means being later, no problem. Either way I'm enjoying my time! :mickey:

McGoofy
06-11-2008, 01:56 AM
We are by far not earlybirds (you see I am posting at 2am!), but we do like to occasionally get to an opening ceremony at MK or Epcot. I've never seen one at DHS or AK. Just last week, we made it to the opening ceremony at MK. CM's had hula hoops and things to play with kids. There's a song and dance with characters on the train station plaform, a countdown to opening, and then confetti cannons go off. It's a little something worth getting up for every now and then. It gives ya that magical Disney feeling!

mrsgaribaldi
06-11-2008, 06:09 AM
The Ak one was very cute. They came in a vehicle and they were looking for Mickey. They found him but I won't tell you where, it was very cute though. I would love to see the others:mickey:

Dragongirlx
06-11-2008, 06:35 AM
I have only ever seen the one a magic kingdom and that was lots of fun.

I am going to try and make it too some more in September

LauraF
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
My family never went because we were turned off by the crowds. Plus as someone said, it always seemed (especially when young children are involved) that those 5 minute delays here and there turn into quite a bit longer.

We often get to MK right after the opening, and it's nice to walk down Main Street unimpeded while other people ran as fast as they could to get into rides. I find starting the day on a slightly slower note helps when the afternoon sun is cooking me raw.

CrazyStitch
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
My wife and I got to see the opening ceremony at Epcot once. They had a family chosen to open the park (and they were from Indy, same as us :) ). Then a double-decker bus came up with several Disney characters in it. They did meet-n-greets there with the kids, then the bus left after a while to make stops all around Epcot and World Showcase. If we could do it again with our kids, I'm sure they'd love it :)

Reesa Roo
06-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Our family has made it to some openings and they are a really great way to start the day. Does anyone know though if they have the opening ceremonies before the EMH mornings? This trip I will be at Epcot for an EMH morning and I am hoping they have the opening then.
Also - we've always rented a car before. This trip, I will be using Disney buses. Do the buses get you there in time for the opening?

155 days...

Thanks,
Lisa

joanakaylene
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
our family usually wanders into the park around 10. because that gives us enough time to enjoy a small concierge breakfast and get around for the day. we've always done this in the past because we've had at least 6 days in the parks. this year we are only going for 3 1/2 days. which makes our casual laidback style kind of obsolete. i'm not sure about the rest of my family but my neice and i plan on trying to make it to the openings for at least a couple of the days. i've already planned out our week so we take full advantage of the late park closings. should be lots of fun!

McGoofy
06-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Our family has made it to some openings and they are a really great way to start the day. Does anyone know though if they have the opening ceremonies before the EMH mornings? This trip I will be at Epcot for an EMH morning and I am hoping they have the opening then.
Also - we've always rented a car before. This trip, I will be using Disney buses. Do the buses get you there in time for the opening?

155 days...

Thanks,
Lisa

Yes, just two Thursdays ago, we were there for EMH at MK, and we saw the opening ceremony.:mickey: We took the resort bus to get there as well. I think we left around 7:15am just to give ourselves plenty of time to get there.