PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Hollywood "Studios"?????

Marker
06-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Just wondering, does anyone know if there is ANY actual production work done at Disney's Hollywood Studios? I suppose I could include the fact that Radio Disney does some broadcasting from there, but is there any part of the word "Studio" that is actually still applicable?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't think there is a whole lot that goes on there any more. They took out most of the sets when they built LMA.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't think there is a whole lot that goes on there any more. They took out most of the sets when they built LMA.

That's disappointing in my eyes.:(

Chris :hatter:

RBrooksC
06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I think there is some production going on there but not like there used to be and I don't think that is the point of the studio anymore. I think it is supposed to bring those to a different era and atmosphere and celebrate movies.

MickeyMike837
06-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I am sorry to say that the DHS is no longer a working studio. It's all gone. Costumeing is gone, the props shop gone, and techincal suport areas are now offices. There is no production work going on there anymore.

Michael
WDW Entertainment Tech.

Stu29573
06-10-2008, 10:15 PM
The fact that it's now just a theme park makes me sad. I used to LOVE watching the animators, and just knowing that real productions were being fimed there gave it it's own unique magic. Oh well....budget cuts, I suppose...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-11-2008, 01:02 AM
I am sorry to say that the DHS is no longer a working studio. It's all gone. Costumeing is gone, the props shop gone, and techincal suport areas are now offices. There is no production work going on there anymore.

Michael
WDW Entertainment Tech.

I'm pretty sure I saw people actively working in the costume shops in Backlot Tour. Several, in fact.

Mousemates
06-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Compiled from various news sites:

WDW management decided to downsize its studio production costs by consolidating things in California...i.e in Florida they closed the animation studio, laid off personnel and then moving the operations to the main animation studio in Burbank, California.

There is still a radio studio located on the lot, behind "Sounds Dangerous" that is used as a remote studios for radio shows that are visiting Disney or the Orlando area and need a broadcast facility.

I too have seen activity in the costume shop on the backlot tour--but thought the costuming still being used was simply that which was related to the characters and stage performers within the park. (my assumption, not a fact).

RBrooksC
06-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Well, I think the change in name would indicate the change in direction of the Studio theme park. It is now themed as a celebration of movies and how they are made.

To be honest, with the exception of the animation part, I never saw any "production" happening there so I don't miss it.

If the park is taken as it is designed, it is a nice park, with good thrills and decent theming.

2Epcot
06-12-2008, 02:36 AM
The fact that it's now just a theme park makes me sad. I used to LOVE watching the animators, and just knowing that real productions were being fimed there gave it it's own unique magic. Oh well....budget cuts, I suppose...

I agree ... I visited the park several times after it had first opened, and later, and enjoyed seeing actual productions being done when you went through the tour. It was also interesting to watch the animators work, that was my favorite part. I remember getting a tour on the other side of the glass once, and looking out at the guests as they walked by ... I felt like I was part of the tour. The name Hollywood "Studios" doesn't really seem to fit anymore.

lockedoutlogic
06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
The movie "studio" in florida was never really going to work.....the costs were high....even though MGM was designed to lower costs....

and the actors, writers, and technical personnel didn't really want to be separated from their union base in California.....

While it's unfortunate that they couldn't make a successful business model there.....maybe they can now complete the theme park and make an experience for millions.....instead of having a few rides plunked infront of some studios and production wharehouses......

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-12-2008, 10:05 AM
....Actually, Florida is one of the top places for film production. We constantly have films being recorded throughout the state. The union follows the actors. Otherwise, they'd never film out of the country (which they do quite often these days).

lockedoutlogic
06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
....Actually, Florida is one of the top places for film production. We constantly have films being recorded throughout the state. The union follows the actors. Otherwise, they'd never film out of the country (which they do quite often these days).

that's great and all.....but there's no executives....no largescale facilities for editing, sound, recording....

no powerbrokers......people typically like to be near their power base....location shoots aside

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
You think executives come out often in Hollywood? They sit in their office, dealing with other things, signing checks, and counting money. The rarely visit their sets. And they do all of the editing and such as post-production. They get the shots first, then head back to the main studios where they do editing. It's not done simultanously.

In Florida, there are about 20 different sound recording studios, over 30 actor's unions (including several divisions for SAG and the Actor's Equity Association), and 15 studios like Universal and Disney.

Films made in Florida include: 2 Fast 2 Furious, Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear, The Punisher, Edwards Scissorhands, Goldfinger, Bad Boys 1 and 2, Transporter, There's Something About Mary, The Birdcage, Red Dragon, Sweet Home Alabama, The Truman Show, Power Rangers Turbo Movie, Legend, Ocean's 11, Beauty and the Beast, and The Pacifer, to name a few.

If you wanted, you can visit the website for the Florida Film Commission. There you can find a complete listing of all the films ever made in Florida, as well as shows and documentaries. They also list all of the unions, studios, warehouses, and what not needed for film production.