PDA

View Full Version : Adding on points question

PrincessASquared
06-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I am looking to add on 50 points to my SSR contract. The Resale market has a 50 pointer available with a use year of December. 50 points coming on 12/1/08 and 50 points that were banked from 2006. My questions are these, 1) Do I have to use the banked 50 points this year or can they be re-banked? 2) If I made an offer this week, would those points be added to my SSR contract before the 8 month banking window is up?
My vacation plans have already been made for the end of this year and I would not need to use those banked points this year. I would hate to lose them though. Any advice would be appreciated.

DVC Mike
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
1) Do I have to use the banked 50 points this year or can they be re-banked?

You cannot bank points that have already been banked. You must use them or rent them or deposit them into II.

2) If I made an offer this week, would those points be added to my SSR contract before the 8 month banking window is up?

It typically takes 6-8 weeks for a resale contract to be processed.

FiggyFan
06-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Jim;

Do your original SSR points have a December use year? Mixing use years can get complicated. Point with different use years are treated as different memberships, while points with the same use year are just added to your existing membership.

If the price is right on that 50 point resale, you could always rent out the banked points and start fresh in December.

PrincessASquared
06-13-2008, 06:49 AM
No, December is not my use year. What kind of complications could I expect? What if I purchased the points through Disney as opposed to re-sale?

Fryguy
06-13-2008, 08:54 AM
I was looking at adding another 50 points to my contract at SSR for the past few months, watching the resale market and finally decided to just call my DVC rep and add on through them.

With the incentives out there and such, the price was not that much difference between resale and new. I called him and had an additional 50 points added to the contract the next day, yes - the next day. Not only that, they where 2007 points that I was able to bank for my 2009 use year as I already used up my 2008 points.

Give your rep a call and see what they say. It never hurts to ask.

FiggyFan
06-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Jim;

If you buy points in a different use year, you will have two separate memberships. That means two ID cards, two sets of banking deadlines, two completely independent pools of points. When you make a reservation, it will be difficult to combine the points. I can think of two ways to handle this. 1) Make two separate reservations (one from each membership), each covering part of the trip. 2) Transfer points from one membership to the other. I think you are limited to one transfer per year, and that there are restrictions on banking the transferred points.

If you buy points in the same use year as your original membership, things are much simpler. The new points are added to your existing membership. You have one ID card, and one set of banking deadlines. If the new points are at the same resort as the original points, you have a single pool of points that looks and acts as if you bought them all at once.

We have points at two resorts (BWV and BCV), all with an August use year. We acquired these points through four separate purchases. We have two pools of points (BWV points and BCV points), all under a single membership, single ID card, single dues statement - you get the idea. The only thing we have to think about is that the two pools of points have home resort priority for reservations in two different places.

Horizon93
06-15-2008, 10:16 PM
No, December is not my use year. What kind of complications could I expect? What if I purchased the points through Disney as opposed to re-sale?

As has been said, bying direct from DVC is easy. You will get the same use year as your original points. The points will be placed in your account very quickly, sometimes the same day that you give your deposit.

CanadianWDWFan
06-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Good thread!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. We are thinking of adding on to ours as well. Thanks for the good ideas.