PDA

View Full Version : A Phillies Thread!!!!!!

PirateLover
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I know we have some Phillies fans on these boards and I decided to start a thread celebrating our team, especially after the amazing sweep we just had against Atlanta. I also welcome back and forth with our division rivals as long as it doesn't get TOO out of hand ;)

This team is just downright fun to watch. For once we left April behind with a winning record, and we haven't looked back. Burrell is hot, Utley is on FIRE, Werth is becoming a force to be reckoned with, Coste seems to have significantly picked up on defense and of course his offense is still great, and surprisingly our pitching rotation has been solid (not spectacular but solid) all the way through... not to mention the bullpen!

Looks like Chase Utley is headed towards his 3rd straight All-Star start, and also could be up for the MVP if he continues on this path. The ballpark has an atmosphere reminiscent of 1993, the year I finally went to my first baseball game (won tickets from Inquirer), the Phillies captured my 7 year old heart, and my father realized that he could share sports with his little girl too, not just his son. (it was also the year I was cruely exposed to losing in Philadelphia sports but we won't go there in this thread... this is a happy thread!)

This year we have a 6 pack of tix and have bought many more here and there... we didn't like the options of the 15 game plans, but we will most likely buy one for next year to get playoff options this year, because I just KNOW the Fightins will be there again;)

Right now my fiancee and I, along with another friend, are making plans to go to D.C. for the series against the Nationals at the end of July and I'm very excited about it. We are going to sightsee during the day and go to the games at night.

So, Phillies fans unite! Maybe we could even meet up at a game sometime! :baseball:

DAKustodial
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Tough couple of games against Florida so far this series. Last night was really tough but you can't get on Gordon's case too much...yet. It was just a shame that the offense didn't get Cole more than a couple of runs.

Anyway, hopefully tonight they'll get back in the win column. Gotta get as big of a lead as possible over those Mets!

mitchsfan
06-13-2008, 12:34 AM
THEY ARE A TEAM OF DESTINY this year.

There is nothing else to say.

They came out with a winning April and May. Since Memorial Day they have won 75 percent of their games.

They have the past 2 reigning MVPs. They have this year's MVP.

Rollins goes down and Bruntlett plays out of his mind.

Victorino goes down and Jayson is werth every penny.

The bullpen is playing out of their mind. The closer has an ERA of under 1 and has yet to blow one.

But the most important thing they have going for them right now is the fact they don't have Billy Whiner closing their games anymore. How sweet it is to watch him blow game after game after game (and that is just this week)

My perdiction from Day 1 was that the NL EAST will be wrapped up by September 15. They still are the team to Beat!

Ian
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm enjoying the run, but I'll remind everyone of two things:

1. It's only June. Talk to me in September about how they're playing then.

2. Pitching wins championships and, well, we saw last night how good the Phils pitching can be.

I think they'll most likely win the division, but I can't see them doing much more than that. I just don't think they're pitching is good enough. When their bats go cold they get beat.

Ian
06-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Okay, to be fair I just checked stats on MLB.com and the Phils do have the 7th best team ERA in baseball right now.

So maybe their pitching has been better than it looks like it should be on paper.

PirateLover
06-13-2008, 08:00 PM
The pitching has been the surprise story of the season actually. Myers has been the only inconsistant pitcher. Even Eaton has had quality starts. Heck, Moyer was taking a no hitter into the 6th inning yesterday. Cole has pitched 2 shutouts, and Kendrick has been holding his own.

On another note, if anyone plays instant lottery tickets, I recommend getting the Phillies/Pirates scratch off tickets. If you save 3 losing tickets you can mail them in for a second chance drawing. 2 people a month win season tickets and 600 some win prize packages. I won a prize package of official MLB liscensed Phillies goods including a jersey (choice of Utley, Rollins, or Howard), embroidered jacket, windshirt, cap, duffel bag with water bottle and t-shirt. Very exciting :thumbsup:

DAKustodial
06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
The Phils statistically have the best bullpen in all of the major leagues so far this year, not just the NL. Now, whether or not they can keep this up is the question.

The starting pitching has been pretty consistently good except for Myers, which is completely surprising. He's been brutal so far; really difficult to watch. I really think he should be traded before it gets even more out of hand...he doesn't have the mental toughness to get through this and I can see his bad attitude hurting the team in the long run.

Anyway, absolutely loved watching them beat up on the World Series Champs last night. It will be interesting to see what our 45 year old number three does tonight...looking forward to it!

Stickey
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
The Phillies need to continue to take advantage of the unexpected struggles by both the Mets and Braves. The Marlins do not have the pitching to stay in the race for the entire season. I am not sold on the Phils pitching, but the lack of quality in the league is a big help.

The Phillies need to watch out for Flash Gordon's tendency to wear down as the season progresses. More rest now will avoid costly home runs allowed in September.

DAKustodial
07-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Big win against the Mets and Santana last night! I think that win will hurt the confidence of the Mets while boosting the confidence of the Phils. It is always fun for a Philly sports fan to see our teams beat a New York team...just have to keep it going now.

"Chase Utley you ARE the man!"

J9
07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
WOW! Did anyone happen to catch the flooding at the stadium this afternoon when they came back from rain delay (I can only describe it as flooding - I never saw anything like it! And we didn't even get any rain up here in the NE!!!)

But the main point of my reply though is how impressed I was with the Richie Ashburn documentary they showed during the rain delay. I usually just changed the channels during the delays and didn't know they aired things like that while we waited. It was really interesting and very very touching. I only wish I could remember him - he seemed like a really cool guy!

PirateLover
07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
But the main point of my reply though is how impressed I was with the Richie Ashburn documentary they showed during the rain delay. I usually just changed the channels during the delays and didn't know they aired things like that while we waited. It was really interesting and very very touching. I only wish I could remember him - he seemed like a really cool guy!

My grandfather met him in 1948. He says he was so kind. He is his all time favorite Phillie.

DAKustodial
09-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Ian, it's September.

First place.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
09-18-2008, 11:42 AM
As a Brewer fan, Ned Yost despiser, and Sheets hater, I agree, you do have a very good team. Lucky for you the Mets are the classic chokers and under-achievers...gee that sounds like the Brewers. I couldn't stomach Ben Sheets cry-baby whiner panty boy performance last night. Good Luck Phillies fans...btw, I am/was a huge Mike Schmidt fan...aging myself.

Watch out for the Rays...another team of destiny.

DAKustodial
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree, the Mets have a reputation for choking at the worst possible time. But, the Phillies have to hold up their end and win, and they've won six in a row.

I'm not buying my playoff tickets yet though, there are still eleven games to go! They need Hamels to step up and be an ace tonight...he needs to shut the Braves down and give the pen some rest.

Ian
09-22-2008, 01:43 PM
I wonder if NYC will have lookouts stationed on the bridges after the Mets collapse again this season? ;)

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Scar?? Do we need to call the authorities to bring him down from whatever tall building he's perched on the edge of? :secret:

Scar
09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Not yet. They’re only one back in the loss column and two up on Milwaukee for the Wild Card. The next four games are against Chicago and Pinella has already said he will rest regulars and his starters will go no more than 5 innings. I’m still pretty confident.

Of course, last year I was pretty confident too. :rolleyes:

Ian
09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I dunno about that ... I just read that Pinella plans on playing his normal starters for the whole series. He said something to the effect of, "The last thing I want is a call from MLB headquarters reminding me that I have an obligation."

Here's a quote from a story I found on the topic, "Manager Lou Piniella used only one regular in his lineup Sunday but promises to go back to his starters in the final week because the Cubs are playing two wild card contenders, the Mets and Brewers."

On a related topic, I found this stat amazing ... the Phillies are 75-0 this season when leading after 8 innings. Lidge is a flat out stud. He should be a serious contender for the Cy Young, IMO.

Scar
09-23-2008, 09:27 AM
"The last thing I want is a call from MLB headquarters reminding me that I have an obligation."Hmmm... I may have been mistaken about the regulars, but I know I heard Mets announcer Gary Cohen say he only wanted his starters to go 5 innings. Maybe he did get that phone call. Last nights starter went into the 7th.

Ian
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Lead is up to 2.5 games now ... and not only that, but if the Phils win tonight and Milwaukee loses, the Phils will guarantee no worse than a tie for the wild card.

Post-season play is getting closer to becoming a reality again. :number1:

DAKustodial
09-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Tough one for the Phils tonight, and it's bad luck that the Mets had Santana going as well.

I'm going tomorrow night...hopefully Brett Myers returns to his recent form and the bats come alive a bit better than they did tonight. 4 games left!

PirateLover
09-27-2008, 07:46 PM
WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!
2 years in a row babyyyy! I was at yesterday's game, and I'll be at tomorrow's. It's certain to be quite the celebration I'm sure!

Ian
09-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Now we just need to see the Mets miss the wildcard ... I revel in New York misery ... :cloud9:

PirateLover
09-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Now we just need to see the Mets miss the wildcard ... I revel in New York misery ... :cloud9:

ask and you shall receive!

Ian
09-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Wow ... choke-a-saurus, huh?? The Mets ... *snort* ... I remember at the beginning of the season they got big, bad Johann Santana and all of a sudden they had themselves in the World Series.

Hard to make the Series when you don't even make the post season ... AGAIN!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! :laughing:

Go Phils! :baseball:

Scar
09-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Congratulations to the Phillies... again.

Honestly, this isn't bothering me at all. I don't know if it's because I have more important issues going on in my life right now or maybe I have just come to expect it, but I'm fine about it. (or maybe it's because the Giants are 3-0 and defending champions. :D)

Go (Devil) Rays. Go Cubies.

Ian
10-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Whoo hoo!!! First playoff baseball win in 15 years yesterday and man, did Cole pitch a gem!!

Of course, Lidge had to make it interesting at the end there, but when he struck out Fielder I knew it was over. I darn near went through the roof.

Tough game today, though. Sabathia is just a beast. We have to keep it really close, hope Myers throws the game of his life, and hope the bats can come alive at the end. A loss today isn't devastating, but it shifts home field advantage ... I'd like to close this series out as quickly as possible!

Hammer
10-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I was at the game and Hamels was amazing. He definitely learned from his mistakes in last year's playoffs. Lidge had me nervous, as you figure he is going to blow a game (law of averages), just thankfully not yesterday! No tickets for today's game, so I'll be hurrying home to watch :baseball: !

Ian
10-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm trying not to get too excited about the win itself (which is not at all intended to diminish what Hamels did!), only because I think the Brewers sort of looked at this game like a wash. They knew Hamels was a tough pitcher to face and they trotted out a guy who's pitched like four games all season. If I'm them, I come away feeling encouraged to only have lost by 3 runs.

Really I think their plan all along was to roll Sabathia for one of these two games and steal a win on the road. That's really their only job in the first two games is to steal one, so we'll really need the bats to come alive today and for Myers to bear down and give his all.

Jeff G
10-02-2008, 09:47 AM
It was a win for the Phillies but should have been much closer if the Brewers fielded their positions. Weeks drop at first and Cameron's drop in CF were the changing points of the game, if either of those plays are made they could have gotten out of the inning with no runs. Gallardo pitched admiraly considering it was only his 2nd start since what was thought to be a season ending injury in May. The Brewers gave up no earned runs the entire game and made it close in the 9th. It was a fun game to watch.

Even as a Brewer fan I must admit Hammel was amazing yesterday. He looked to be unhittable the first couple innings as he mowed down the meat of the Brewers order effortlessly on his way to eight strong innings.

PirateLover
10-02-2008, 04:19 PM
We don't have tickets until the NLCS so I hope we get out of this series! Yesterday was interesting. I think there are more positives to take away from the game then negatives. Having the win is huge coming into tonight's game vs Sabathia. I think they will be less tense.

Ian
10-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree that getting that first playoff win under your belt is huge. But I'm not sure the intimidation factor of going up against Sabathia isn't going to more than offset that.

I think the concern you have to have after last night's game is the bats. They were pretty much silent and Jeff is right ... barring a couple of Brewers' errors it would have been a different ballgame. You can't count on that every night.

From what I saw I didn't think Gallardo pitched very well. He seemed to lack control to a degree and wasn't really overpowering with any of his stuff. It kinda scares me that the Phils hit so poorly in terms of how they'll handle Sabathia tonight.

Overall, I just thought the lineup struggled ... they swung at bad pitches a lot (Howard's one strikeout in like the sixth was horrible ... the ball was in the dirt!) and didn't really work the count all that well, outside of that 3rd inning.

I may need to buy a dog ... I'm a little scared of tonight's game. But then again, you have to wonder just how long Sabathia can keep this up. Tonight could be the night his arm finally rags out and he gets yanked in the 4th.

Jeff G
10-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Gallardo threw more balls than strikes and could have been beaten up had the Phillies been patient and worked more counts. I agree he didn't have his best stuff but the Philies bats helped him out. Hopefully the cold bats stick around a few more games:D. AS for tonights game, the Brewers need this game a lot more than the Phillies. If the Crew looses I predict they will be swept and even if they win they still have to pitch Suppan and Bush in the next two.

PirateLover
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
We are now into the 8th and so far I've been proven somewhat right :)
I am somewhat disappointed with our "stars" though. Utley and Howard are still currently 0-for, and I think Rollins had 1 hit. When the pitcher gets a hit and your star players can't that's slightly troubling. Victorino and Werth have been on fire though... and I must say all of our guys really worked the counts nicely and got Sabathia's pitch count up pretty fast... Myers especially. C.C. seemed to really get off his game.

Ian
10-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that outing. It was great to see "SuperSabathia" chased so early.

Ian
10-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I was digging around on the 'Net looking for something and I found the 2008 MLB team payrolls, which I thought were sort of interesting.

Here's the top half of the league:

Yankees $209,081,579
Tigers $138,685,197
Mets $138,293,378
Red Sox $133,440,037
White Sox $121,152,667
Angels $119,216,333
Cubs $118,595,833
Dodgers $118,536,038
Mariners $117,993,982
Braves $102,424,018
Cardinals $100,624,450
Blue Jays $98,641,957
Phillies $98,269,881
Astros $88,930,415
Brewers $81,004,167
Two things jump out at me. One, I find it absolutely hilarious that the two New York teams (who I absolutely loathe) spent a combined $348,374,957 and still couldn't make the playoffs. What's even more shocking is that the Mets gave Omar Minaya a contract extension?? :confused:

The other thing I noticed was that, despite the aforemention dismal failures, all the playoff teams were in the top half of the league in terms of payroll. I guess money spent does correlate to some degree to success on the field.

But it also shows you that you have to spend the money wisely to win. You can't just pull a Steinbrenner and try and buy an all star team. Chemistry is what really matters.

A shout out to Pat Gillick and Ed Wade for assembling this Phillies roster without having to break the bank.

PirateLover
10-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Continuing the convo from the other thread, friday's game might end up being an afternoon game. AL and NL are both playing. Also I misspoke (mistyped? lol) when I stated that all games were on Fox. All of the NL games are on Fox, AL is still on TBS.

DAKustodial
10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Just got back from spending four days in WDW...wore my Phillies stuff pretty much every day. I watched games 2 and 3 at the ESPN Club, then caught yesterday's game at a friend's house because both ESPN and the Ale House were totally packed.

What a fun few days it was to be a Phillies fan! Saw tons of Phillies shirts and hats all over the parks and heard lots of "Go Phils!" and "NLCS!" shouts. On Saturday after the Phillies lost we had a few not so nice (seemingly intoxicated) baseball fans yell "Brewers!" and "Phillies Stink!" at us at Food & Wine but all of those folks seemed to be gone yesterday.

Anyway...it was fun and this is going to be a great NLCS...Go Phils!

PirateLover
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Anyway...it was fun and this is going to be a great NLCS...Go Phils!

I LOVE being at WDW whenever Philly has a big game. I've been during Flyers playoffs and an Eagles-Cowboys game. I always meet great people from philly!

Game times have been released. 8pm Thurs, 4pm Fri.

Ian
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, one of the best (and worst) nights of my life was watching the Eagles/Cowboys "Tommy Hutton Fumbles the Snap" game at the ESPN Club.

We had a BLAST going back and forth with the Cowgirls fans. It obviously didn't work out in our favor (it rarely does), but we still had a really good time.

The ride back to the hotel on the bus was also ... uh ... interesting! :secret:

PirateLover
10-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Full series schedule:
Gm 1 LAD @ PHI Thu Oct. 9 8 pm FOX
Gm 2 LAD @ PHI Fri Oct. 10 4 pm FOX
Gm 3 PHI @ LAD Sun Oct. 12 8 pm FOX
Gm 4 PHI @ LAD Mon Oct. 13 8 pm FOX
Gm 5* PHI @ LAD Wed Oct. 15 8 pm FOX
Gm 6* LAD @ PHI Fri Oct. 17 8 pm FOX
Gm 7* LAD @ PHI Sat Oct. 18 8 pm FOX
* If Necessary

DAKustodial
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah, watching the games down there really was a lot of fun. Thursday's game was probably the best...watching the game at ESPN was like watching it in a sports bar in my home neighborhood! The place was PACKED with Phillies fans and my hands hurt from all the high fives. When Victorino hit the grand slam the whole place absolutely erupted. I would say I felt bad for the small group of Brewers fans that were there...but...I've been on that side of it so many times that it's hard to really feel bad.

PirateLover
10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, since we can longer edit posts after a certain window, I'm reposting new times here. The times I had before were official MLB but now they've changed slightly.

Gm 1 LAD @ PHI Thu Oct. 9 8:22 PM FOX
Gm 2 LAD @ PHI Fri Oct. 10 4:35 PM FOX
Gm 3 PHI @ LAD Sun Oct. 12 8:22 PM FOX
Gm 4 PHI @ LAD Mon Oct. 13 8:22 PM FOX
Gm 5* PHI @ LAD Wed Oct. 15 8:22 PM FOX
Gm 6* LAD @ PHI Fri Oct. 17 8:22 PM FOX
Gm 7* LAD @ PHI Sat Oct. 18 8:22 PM FOX

PirateLover
10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
On a side note, tomorrow morning in the second half of the 6am hour the school I teach at is gonna be on Fox29 for paint the town red day, showing Phillies spirit!:number1:

PirateLover
10-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Hands down one of the top 3 sporting events I've ever been to. I will never forget tonight, sitting in left field of Citizen's Bank Park. Go Phillies! Go Burrell!

Ian
10-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Yeah, that was a great game. A bit of a nail-biter for awhile, but the boys came through.

Burrell is certainly not re-signing him more and more difficult with the way he's stepping it up in the post-season.

On the other hand, Howard is starting to make me wonder if he's really worth $10 million a year. He's coming up small.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-10-2008, 09:05 AM
That was an extremely exciting game to watch. As usual, I turned it off after the 8th inning..no reason to watch it, the result is always the same. :baseball:

DAKustodial
10-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Great game last night! The last time I saw the Phillies win a game in the NLCS, I was thirteen years old! Good to see Utley and Burrell come up big and as far as Howard goes, he's going to be alright. He's not really getting much to hit and he hasn't looked terrible at the plate like he has at other times this season. They'll make a mistake to him in the next game or two and he'll smoke one...just a matter of time.

Hamels proved last night that he's a legitimate ace. The guy made one mistake to Manny and that was it...he actually got stronger as the game went along. Today is going to be a tough one too...if Myers can be the pitcher he was in game two of the NLDS (after the first inning) he'll be fine.

This is a good feeling, isn't it Phillies fans??? Go Phils!

Hammer
10-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I was at the game last night as well. It really was an electric atmosphere in the ballpark. The place erupted for Utley and Howard's home runs. Parking was a nightmare, though ;) !

Ian
10-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Another awesome game tonight ... big win for the Phils.

I love the fact that Charlie Manuel has the Phillies pitchers going after Manny. It somehow makes it even more special that we're winning. And it probably, on some level, is a little demoralizing to the Dodgers. Gotta love the way the Phils are hitting good pitching, too. First Sabathia, and now we're knocking around the best L.A. has to offer.

And what a night for Myers, huh?? The guy gets four hits all season and goes 3 for 3 tonight ... what a stud. I think he had more RBI's tonight than Howard has in all 6 playoff games.

On a side note, I'm not a big fan of the 2-3-2 seven game series. I don't think it's fair that the team with homefield advantage could win all their home games and yet still find themselves facing elimination. I much prefer hockey's 2-2-1-1-1 format.

JerseyMouse
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Shane Victorino just might be this team's MVP not named Lidge, talk about coming up HUGE!!!!

PirateLover
10-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Can we use Myers as DH if we make it to the World Series? Lol. What a great game again. We watched in a local sports pub, Paddy Whacks at 2nd and South. Tomorrow they are showing the game on a 17 foot screen at Penn's Landing. I think we are going to go. I love being with other people... I don't know that I'll watch another game home alone in my house for the duration of this post season.

JerseyMouse
10-11-2008, 03:46 PM
When I was younger...I'd go out for games all the time..the more, the merrier..and did so with no regrets.

Now, that I'm older, and married...I've become a homebody..again, with no regrets.

While I miss the electricity of the stadium, I don't miss the traffic jams, or the bathroom lines.

PirateLover
10-12-2008, 12:49 PM
While I miss the electricity of the stadium, I don't miss the traffic jams, or the bathroom lines.
I live very close to the stadiums. We take Septa or get dropped off/picked up so we don't really have to deal with traffic jams thankfully. And, I've never waited long for the ladies room at CBP, although there were some long men's room lines the other night. Now the Spectrum bathrooms... that's another story. Yuck.

Anyway, to those of you who want to come out, tonight at Penn's Landing they are having a "Rally by the river" at the Great Plaza. The game will be shown on a 17 by 27 foot screen and they are giving out rally towels and everything. You can bring lawn chairs and food and beverage. I'll be there!

Ian
10-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Well that didn't work out quite like I had hoped. :secret:

That's two bad outings for Moyer. Actually, strike that. It's one bad but moderately excusable outing and one horrific disaster of an outing. He was miserable last night. I think he may be done for the season, which is very surprising because he was a rock for us all year. This could be a problem if we lose our 3rd starter.

I'm still not worried, though. I like tonight's pitching match-up a lot and think we'll steal our road game tonight. That's really all I'm looking for the Phils to do is just steal one of these L.A. games and then win it in game 6 back home.

DAKustodial
10-13-2008, 11:37 AM
You're right Ian...all they really need to do is steal one of these games in L.A. All of the drama and finger-pointing doesn't help the Phillies here...they're in the driver's seat and need to go out tonight and put all of that stuff behind them and just play their game.

Derek Lowe on three days rest shouldn't scare anyone and Blanton really pitched a heck of a game last time out against the Brewers. And, lost in all of the Pro-Dodger talk in last night's game, the bullpen was fantastic last night. They shut the Dodgers down completely. I think the Phils get to Lowe early tonight and Blanton gives them six strong innings, maybe giving up two or three.

Go Phils!

Ian
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah, Lowe didn't have that great an outing against us in game one on full rest. We'll see how he does tonight, but I suspect you're right. I think they get to him early and we see a quick exit for him.

All that garbage last night with the pitching was absurd. It totally distracted from the game, seemed incredibly manufactured to me, and came across like the media trying to help get the Dodgers riled. During that bench clear, Manny reminded me of a playground bully ... "Hold me back, man! Hold me back!"

Honestly, I totally believe Myers was having control issues in game 2. I don't think for a minute he intended to hit anyone. And Moyer obviously didn't have his control. For Martin to get all riled up about it was ridiculous.

DAKustodial
10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
You're right on about both Manny and Martin. If Manny was so sure that Myers was sending a message in game 2, why didn't he even give Myers a look after that pitch? He's a smart baseball player and knew that the ball slipped out of Myers' hand. All of the stuff that happened last night was created by him between games 2 and 3. And it was ridiculous that he had his teammates holding him back when everyone knew they wouldn't let him anywhere near a Phillies player (and he knew it too!).

Martin made no attempt to get out of the way of Moyer's 75 mph cutter and then had the nerve to set up behind Jimmy Rollins on a few pitches before the finally threw at Victorino. His temper tantrum in the dugout was ridiculous. The Phillies just need to keep their emotions in check tonight and they'll be fine.

Ian
10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Agree totally. I think the entire thing was manufactured just to try to rally the team. It worked to some degree last night, but you can't ride that kind of fake emotion more than a game or two at most.

Personally, I think tonight we'll see a riled up Phils team really take it to the Dodgers.

Ian
10-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Wow ... what a roller coaster of a game! We're up 3-1 in the series, though, and that's all that matters.

I have to say that I'm starting to develop an intense dislike for this L.A. team. I'm not really sure what it is about them, but I'm very much looking forward to sending their over-inflated selves packing.

They seem to lack any type of humility, I see a lot of crying and whining going on (how about Lowe's ridiculous antics after the 1st inning??? :confused:), and I don't know it's like they feel like they're entitled to win or something. Making faces after every pitch, complaining about the quality of the baseballs ... it's almost like they're doing anything and everything they can do line up the excuses for when they get beat.

And the announcers last night were brutal ... just brutal. When Howard scored on that wild pitch, Tim McCarver actually said, "Howard just barely touched home plate there!" It was almost like he was somehow hoping he could talk umpires into taking away the Phillies' run!

First off, how can you "barely" touch home plate?? You either touch it or you don't. And the really irksome thing about it was that the replays showed that Howard not only touched home plate, he dragged his big ole hand across the entire bag ... it wasn't even close to a non-touch! And then McCarver didn't even say anything about it ... I'm sure he was disappointed.

When the Phils put this series away tonight, and the Red Sox ultimately get booted by the Rays, I'm going to open a bottle of scotch, light up a big ole cigar, and puff away, enjoying the fact that baseball couldn't manage to close on their dream "Manny vs. Boston" matchup.

I hate those stupid manufactured storylines anyway. Let the best two teams play baseball and shut the you-know-what up.

PirateLover
10-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Ian, I can't believe McCarver said that about Howard! I too noticed Howard's hand covering almost the entire middle of the plate. We did stay home last night, but friends came over. The radio was almost synched perfectly with the HD feed, so we muted Buck and McCarver.

Last night was a "classic" game. Up and down and back and forth and your heart going crazy. I am so glad for Shane Victorino. He has a lot of humility and won't admit it, but he's gotta love sticking it to the Dodgers.

Ian
10-14-2008, 07:07 AM
I am so glad for Shane Victorino. He has a lot of humility and won't admit it, but he's gotta love sticking it to the Dodgers.I don't know if he loves it, but I sure do! After those absurd antics the other night and the way the Dodgers fans (who are quite annoying in their own right) took to booing him, the fact that he was the one to single-handedly crush their hopes ... that's very fitting.

I really enjoy kicking people when they're down ... in a sports context, of course. :D

DAKustodial
10-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Good morning Phillies fans!!! Last night's game was probably the worst and best Phillies game I have ever seen! It was absolutely gut-wrenching, exhausting, and incredibly exciting all at the same time. See, my wife and I were friends for seven years, dated for three, and now we've been married for nine months. She's from New York and wasn't a sports fan before, but I have slowly converted her (haha) to a Philadelphia sports fan. When Howard threw that ball into right field last night she stood up and fired her Phillies hat across our family room (it got WAY to close to our DLP TV for my liking) and told me it was my fault that she was so upset. I saw in her the same exact reaction that I was having inside...it was beautiful! Anyway, right before Victorino hit his game-tying shot, her "A homer ties it" was followed by my "Yeah, but you can't ask for that, he's not really a homerun hitter." Then, BOOM!

You guys are so right about the announcers. I thought I was just a whiny Phillies fan for the first few games but it has gotten out of hand. Even bringing in Eric Karros, a former Dodger, to do the pre-game and post-game with Kevin Kennedy so they could both predict that the Dodgers would win not only last night's game but tomorrow's game as well. McCarver's call about Howard not touching the plate was brutal, but he also said that the eighth inning was "devastating." Well, it wasn't for the Phillies!

And Ian, you're 100% right about this Dodgers team. There is almost a sense of entitlement there...you can see it in their faces and reactions. Someone needs to tell the Dodgers that they won 84 games in the woeful N.L. West and they are simply being beaten by a better team. Sorry for the long post! Go Phils!

Ian
10-14-2008, 10:27 AM
... he also said that the eighth inning was "devastating." Well, it wasn't for the Phillies!Yeah, see there were comments like that all night. That really annoys me.

If you're a national announcer you simply cannot show partiality one way or another and making a comment like that clearly shows you have a bias about the series outcome.

I don't like it when announcers spend the entire game talking about what one team "has to do to win" and basically ignores the other team ... it's like listening to Aikman call a Cowboys game.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree 100%. The only thing worse than the Manny-Red Sox fairy tale is having to listen to McCarver tell it. He irritates the cra* out of me to the point where I will listen to the games on the radio when he does tv.

How sweet is it to have a guy who looks like he should be playing bar league softball (Matt Stairs, ex-Brewer) go house to win the game.

Go Phils!!

Hammer
10-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I watched Monday's game at the bar by Jiko after our dinner there (which was great, by the way). I was so happy for Victorino and Matt Stairs. Victorino is definitely happy to stick it to the Dodgers after they let him go in the rule 5 draft. Our plan is to go to the ESPN Club tomorrow (Wednesday) night after our dinner at California Grill.

DAKustodial
10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
7 Hours!!! Can't wait for tonight...I'm supposed to be working but it is NOT happening! Go Phils!

Ian
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
As much as I think it would be nice for them to clinch on their home field, I really want them to close this series out tonight.

This Dodgers team is still very dangerous and I think giving them any life or hope at all could come back to bite you.

Let's hope Hamels has his stuff tonight!

Ian
10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
THREE OUTS AWAY, BABY!!

:number1:

Ian
10-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Where my Phillies peeps at???

World Series, baby!!!

Bring on those Rays!!! :cool:

DAKustodial
10-16-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm watching the post-game coverage for the second time tonight...unbelievable!!!

I watched the game with my wife, my friends, and my family and my wife keeps saying I broke her ribs when I picked her up after the last out...might have to take her to the doctor tomorrow! Go Phils!

PirateLover
10-16-2008, 06:59 AM
I was at the bar. It was pretty wild. I am very happy this morning, but I think I strained a neck muscle hanging out of a window waving a rally towel on my way home. :blush:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:number1:

Ian
10-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Funny game last night. I mean you hate to say it, but I think the Dodgers lost that game as much as the Phils won it. Hamels was his usual amazing self, but boy ... how often are you going to get three fielding errors in one inning???

This team is really strange. I mean I love 'em, but you get the feeling that if they could put the whole thing together at once they would be near unbeatable. But it always seems like some part of the team is lagging ... Utley and Howard aren't hitting when the pitching is lights out ... the pitchers slump when the bats wake up ... and yet they still win all these games.

If they could just get it all rolling at the same time, this team could be a legit dynasty, IMO.

Jeff G
10-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Congrats!!! Now represent the NL well.

doombuggy
10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Let's Go Phils!

I'll be wearing my 1993 NL shirt and jacket in support!

Ian
10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm just happy to know who we're playing now.

I honestly don't know who I preferred coming out of the ALCS. I mean had the Sox come back to win it, they'd have been on a roll, had all their championship swagger back, and of course they're a very seasoned and talented ball club.

But then again, I think the Rays are even more talented and they're obviously a very gutsy team, too.

All I know is, I simply cannot take another Philly vs. Tampa series where we come up on the short end of the stick. It's just not fair.

Tinkerbella16
10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
LETS GO PHILLIESSSSS!!!!!!

Theres nothing like us Philly fans!!! We will dominate the World Series baby!!!!!!

DAKustodial
10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Eight hours and counting. No work is getting done today on my part! Kid Cole has ice water in his veins and has been huge so far this postseason. He has really shown that he is an ace and I can't wait to see what he does on the big stage tonight!

Go Phils!

PirateLover
10-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Game one to us! Should've been more of a blowout, but a a win is a win.:number1:

Ian
10-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Okay, so on one hand I'm really glad they won. That's a big win, taking game one on the road.

But listen ... mark my words ... the Phillies cannot and will not win this series if they continue to go 0 for 13 with RISP and if Rollins and Howard can't find their bats. They're both just killing this team right now.

Good win, but bad signs for the future if they don't get that righted.

Tinkerbella16
10-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah...what was going on with Howard lastnight?? I am really happy they won, but man...that game should have been 9-0 at the end...wasn't the best game, but it was a win.

Can't wait for them to just come back home and finish this series the right way!

Hoping for a much better game tonight with more of this... :baseball:

PirateLover
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Okay, so on one hand I'm really glad they won. That's a big win, taking game one on the road.

But listen ... mark my words ... the Phillies cannot and will not win this series if they continue to go 0 for 13 with RISP and if Rollins and Howard can't find their bats. They're both just killing this team right now.

Good win, but bad signs for the future if they don't get that righted.
I think last night was an anomaly. I highly doubt that they will keep leaving so many men on base. We'll see though. Howard was really a killer both offensively and defensively... but I'm trying to stay positive.:cool:

*Wanted to come back and give Howard SOME credit. That was a nice catch in the stands... although I can't believe the fans just backed off and let him catch it!

Ian
10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, he's just been a real liability in these playoffs so far. That was a nice catch on the foul ball, but it definitely doesn't make up for his batting like .225 with no home runs and only three RBI in the postseason.

And Rollins has been only slightly better. For two former MVP's, I really expect more. Neither one of these guys appears to be much of a post-season player.

DAKustodial
10-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Ian, I think I remember telling you back in the Brewers series that Howard would break out of it, but now, I just don't see too many positive signs. He's too anxious and he's lunging at the ball, he's not letting the ball come to him. Last night he had a hanging breaking ball that he should have crushed and an 86 mph fastball right down the heart. He missed them both.

That being said, we saw last night that great pitching completely neutralizes great hitting. Hamels is a stud and has officially established himself as a big game pitcher and Brett Myers has the chance to prove he can handle the spotlight tonight. He's going to be throwing inside, high and tight, so I hope that gets in the Rays heads like it did the Dodgers.

Last thing...does B.J. Upton think he won the World Series already by beating the Red Sox and that this is just an exhibition?? Completely uninterested at the plate, dogging it on those two double plays he hit into. That dude needs a wake-up call, and as a Phillies fan I hope he doesn't get one!

Go Phils!

Hammer
10-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Last night’s game is really not any different than the games the team played throughout the season. They have been stranding runners all year and winning in spite of it. Howard is streaky and unfortunately, this is a bad time for it to happen. Fortunately, other players have picked him up which is what a balanced team should do.

Tonight will be tougher. I've watched the Rays throughout the season (thank you MLB Extra Innings package) and Shields is really good, probably better than Kazmir. Plus, we don't know which Brett Myers will show up and he pitches better at home. Honestly, I'm thrilled with taking one game. It would be great to win tonight, but there isn't an urgency to do it now.

Ian
10-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Last night he had a hanging breaking ball that he should have crushed and an 86 mph fastball right down the heart. He missed them both.Yeah, I remember both of those and they were both brutal. September Ryan Howard takes both those pitches yard.

Then again, September Ryan Howard probably doesn't see either one of those pitches.

Last thing...does B.J. Upton think he won the World Series already by beating the Red Sox and that this is just an exhibition??Yeah, he was a joke last night. I actually got annoyed, because after he grounded into the first double play he came up to the plate again and looked at the first pitch for a ball. One of the announcers said something to the effect of, "Now that's how a real hitter does it." or something like that.

Next pitch he grounded into his second double play. :secret:

I'm thinking ... Are you watching the same game I'm watching??? :confused:

Ian
10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
One of my cousins just sent me this ... tasteless, but still funny nonetheless!

Hammer
10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry Ian, I don't find that funny at all.

Regarding Upton, he was benched during the season for not running out when he hit, much like Charlie did with Jimmy Rollins. Doesn't affect me what he does, as I'm rooting for the Phillies!

Did anyone see the interview with Harry and Todd Kalas? For those who do not know, Todd is one of the Rays announcers (has been with them since the beginning). It was funny to listen to the 2 of them talk trash about their respective teams.

Ian
10-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm not enjoying this at all.

J9
10-23-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm not enjoying this at all.

Seriously...last time I checked, you went to first when you got hit with a pitch....

The home base umpire was kinda ridiculous in the last 2 innings....what was he seeing? Cause it sure wasn't the same pitches I saw!!!

In other news, every time I hear the name "Evan Longoria" I think they're talking about Eva....

Ian
10-24-2008, 07:33 AM
LOL ... I said the same thing about Longoria ... I feel like I'm watching a Desperate Housewives episode ...

As far as the umpire, how about that bogus walk he issued on the non-check swing???? That was absurd!! See this is why I hate MLB sometimes. They're umpires and refs are so arrogant. I mean the rules clearly state that once the home plate umpire makes a call you can't appeal. So why, once they realized they had screwed up, didn't they just fix it???

Although look ... I feel like an idiot making a big deal out of that, because the Phillies are 0 for like 106 with RISP. That's why they lost and that's why they're going to lose this series if they don't wake up.

That was a very frustrating game to watch.

Tinkerbella16
10-24-2008, 08:20 AM
As far as the umpire, how about that bogus walk he issued on the non-check swing???? That was absurd!! See this is why I hate MLB sometimes. They're umpires and refs are so arrogant. I mean the rules clearly state that once the home plate umpire makes a call you can't appeal. So why, once they realized they had screwed up, didn't they just fix it???

Although look ... I feel like an idiot making a big deal out of that, because the Phillies are 0 for like 106 with RISP. That's why they lost and that's why they're going to lose this series if they don't wake up.

That was a very frustrating game to watch.

Yes that call by the umpire was very absurd!!! I wanted to jump through the screen...what is wrong with him???

And I agree...that game was way too frustrating to sit through...I fell asleep during the 4th, I just couldn't take it anymore. I am somewhat relieved that the Phills are home now, and hopeful that they can wake up and take these next 3 games without a problem. I have no doubt in my mind that our stadium is gonna be 10 times louder than Tropicana Field was. Let the games begin!

Ian
10-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Here's the way I've taken to looking at it ... I think our perception is a little skewed because we don't have home field advantage in this series.

In the prior series, we won the first two at home, and then "stole" games on the road to win in a short series.

In this series, we've just flipped it ... we already "stole" our game on the road and the Phils have been dominant at home. There's no reason to believe they can't win these next three and clinch in game 5 at home.

The wild card, of course, is which Jamie Moyer shows up. I'm banking, though, on the fact that being in his home park will make a big difference. He pitched on the road his other two post-season starts.

DAKustodial
10-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Good morning Phillies fans! Tough morning today. The home plate umpire was pretty bad last night, you'd be crazy if you didn't admit it, but the Phils didn't hit when they needed to, and that killed them.

Rollins has been bad, really, really bad. Not working the count, not getting around on fastballs, and popping up. They didn't pitch to Utley last night and pitched to Howard instead...he was actually one of the Phillies that actually had a good night at the plate. It was a shame for Brett Myers too. He came out a little bit wild, like he always does, but settled in and really pitched a good game. The Rays power hitters have really been held in check by Phillies pitching. Oh, and that David Price guy, he's human. The Phils showed he can get wild and rattled and he can be hit.

I'm not as worried about Moyer tomorrow night. I know he's had a couple of bad outings in a row, but the Rays have been anxious at the plate with two guys who throw in the 90's...wait until they see Moyer. They're gonna be alright...next three are here. Go Phils!

Ian
10-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm definitely not worried ... yet ...

Right now I believe going back home will wake up the bats and get Moyer right. I mean when you think about it, their last game at home was on October 10th. That's two weeks ago. That's a long time to play games on the road, by any standard.

I'm betting getting back to the friendly confines of CBP gets them squared away. Now if I'm wrong ... then we're in big trouble.

DAKustodial
10-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Big game tonight...Moyer's gonna need to have a better umpire than he's had in order to pitch a good game. If he doesn't, we're looking at a long night for the 'pen.

I think the Phils are going to give Garza a big greeting early on. They've been getting hits, just not with runners on. Tonight they need to put up a couple in the first to start rolling, and I think they will. Jimmy Rollins needs to set the table and if he does they'll be alright.

Go Phils!

J9
10-25-2008, 03:40 PM
On my flight home from Arizona, I sat next to this guy's dad:

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=453974

They were on their way to Philly for the Series.

On the other side of me, was a dude with a Mets World Series Ring. Turns out he was John Barr, special assistant to the SF Giants GM and a scouter. I hope he wasn't coming to take some of our boys away next year!!!

J9
10-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Ugh.....you're killing me, Phils!!!! We better score something in the bottom of the 9th...

Edit:

YES!!!! OMG!!!!

PirateLover
10-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Hey I was at Lou Marson's debut where he hit a home run! Oh and by the way... GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!! What a crazy game... 2am... I'm falling asleep... but man on man. They can never make it easy, huh. And how about Carlos Ruiz??? My gosh, I booed this guy the entire season, he absolutely stunk, but he is turning out to be so clutch this post season. Unreal. :number1::number1::number1::number1:
TWO MORE WINS!

Hammer
10-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Man, we may not convert with runners in scoring position very often, but we did it when it counted!

BTW, Jamie Moyer pitched great and deserved to win this game. That blown call really steamed me! Also, there seems to be signs of life in the bats of Rollins and Howard.

Tinkerbella16
10-26-2008, 02:10 AM
All I have to say is WOWWWWW!!!! What a game tonight... my voice it gone, I was on the edge of my seat, and it all worked out in the end! I am so proud right now. Moyer did a great job tonight!!!

We're taking this all the way...World Series is ours!!!

GO PHILLIES!!!!

I love these guys!!

Ian
10-26-2008, 08:16 AM
BTW, Jamie Moyer pitched great and deserved to win this game. That blown call really steamed me! Also, there seems to be signs of life in the bats of Rollins and Howard.You said it, Christine. Moyer was awesome. That's exactly what we needed. And yeah, Rollins and Howard are at least making some contact now and putting the ball in play. They don't look lost like they did before and that BLAST from Howard was terrific.

That was an awesome game last night, but needlessly a nailbiter. That's two games in a row with just a horrible blown call that hurt the Phils. I find that very annoying. I don't understand why MLB insists on being so archaic. Instant replay please???

Okay, so here's the way I look at it. Last night's game was going to be the deciding game of the series because that was, arguably, the Rays best pitching matchup and their best chance to steal one on the road. Tonight I think we have a very favorable matchup, as Blanton has been excellent in the postseason and Sonnanstine is definitely the Rays weakest link in their rotation.

So if Blanton gets the win tonight, it's a done deal. Cole seals it on Monday and the Phillies are World Champs!! :number1:

Ian
10-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Okay. This article really has me steamed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/10/26/rays.phillies.game3/index.html?bcnn=yes

Why? Because first off it implies that the Rays lost this game vs. the Phils winning it when, in fact, the opposite is really true. Without a little help from the umpires the Rays wouldn't have been in this game at all and it had nothing to do with their inexperience or any mistakes. They just got beat.

Secondly, it once again makes unsubstantiated claims that Philly fans were "mean" to the Rays. Now I wasn't at CBP last night, but if Longoria's feelings are hurt because they called him Eva, maybe he shouldn't have gone 0-fer and made the fans pay with his bat. Instead he looked like Eva out there, especially on the final play where he lobbed some freakish ball well past the catcher while trying to make the out at the plate.

Third, it makes no mention of the fact that the Rays scored their tying run on a throwing error. Instead it says the ball was "inadvertently kicked by Upton."

I'm really tired of the media's infatuation with the Rays.

Ian
10-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Okay, last post I promise, but I forgot to mention this before ...

Look, I'm not a baseball genius. I don't really necessarily understand all the nuances of the game. That being said, can anyone provide me with a logical rationale behind the way Maddon managed that 9th inning??

I totally did not understand what he was thinking. Why did he go to a 5 man infield?? What was he hoping to gain from that?? I mean the Phils only needed one run and there were no outs. I can't possibly fathom why he thought a 5 man infield was going to help him?? I mean even if they turn a DP it's not going to matter, because presumably the winning run will score anyway.

I also thought it was very questionable to issue those intentional walks to pitch to Ruiz. I mean Ruiz's bat has been on fire this series. He's hitting .500. That was dumb. The entire thing was dumb, I thought.

PirateLover
10-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Ian, that author can stick it where the Rays don't shine. I can't wait to win this thing, not only for ourselves as die hard philly sports fans, but to shove it in the face of everyone who loves to kick us when we're down and revel in our losses, and never give us credit where credit is due.
Longoria's OWN teammates have called him "Eva" all year long. I highly doubt this was the first time he's heard it from the fans. You're telling me Boston didn't heckle him? And speaking of other teams, how come the atrocious behavior of Dodgers fans didn't make national news. I have heard from a number of sources that LA fans were quite drunk and disorderly and were seeking fights during the NLCS.

The one thing that did get me irked was the implication that the Rays don't need to rely on luck to win. How many times have they scored on errors and groundouts? This has been a flukey series on both sides for sure.

As far as the 9th inning Rays management... yea it sure was interesting. But, I'm not complaining!

PirateLover
10-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Now here's an article more to my liking...
Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

PHILADELPHIA -- You know it isn't just another World Series game when the clock above Ashburn Alley says it's 1:47 a.m.

You know it isn't just another World Series game when the Tampa Bay Rays suddenly have more infielders running around than coaches.

And you know it isn't just another World Series game when a ball that travels approximately 63 feet is about to turn into the biggest hit of the World Series for the team that somehow is winning the World Series.

But that was the madness that unfolded at Citizens Bank Park as a soggy Saturday night turned into a madcap Sunday morning.

Five insane hours packed with raindrops, pickoffs, E-2's, long balls, small balls and a whopper of an umpiring boo-boo nearly earned residence in World Series infamy.

But if you nodded off sometime after "Weekend Update," take our word for it: The Phillies really did beat the Rays 5-4 early Sunday morning, on a game-ending, slo-mo thunker down the third-base line, against a five-man infield, by a catcher who gets an infield hit about once a decade.

And because that happened, in real life, in a jam-packed ballpark in the middle of the night, this World Series has taken a dramatic, possibly pivotal turn.

The Phillies hold a 2-1 lead in this Series. They lead it even though they're hitting .061 (2-for-33) with runners in scoring position. They lead it even though neither of those two hits left the infield and one of them didn't even score a run.

They lead it even though their late-inning defensive replacement has produced more runs than their leadoff hitter. And they lead it even though they've allowed the team they're playing to score eight consecutive runs in two games on plays that included either an out or an error.

"It's a funny game," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said after this insanity was over. "That's how the game goes."

Well, it's not supposed to go quite like this, is it? But somehow or other, the Phillies are two games away from winning the World Series, and they're in prime position to finish that job. Of the previous 51 World Series that were tied at 1, the winner of Game 3 has gone on to win the Series two-thirds of the time.

But none of those other World Series featured a game that didn't start until after 10 p.m., as this one did. You can thank the weather front from hell for making that possible.

And that set the stage for a long night's journey into day that eventually led us to an unprecedented burst of 1 a.m. craziness, starring the two Phillies everyone expected to take over a crucial World Series game -- Eric Bruntlett and Carlos Ruiz.

Bruntlett, a utility infielder who unexpectedly spent most of this season serving as Pat Burrell's late-inning defensive caddie in left field, wound up scoring the winning run in this game -- at 1:47 a.m.

Asked whether he could recall the previous time he'd scored a run at 1:47 a.m., Bruntlett scratched his head and concluded: "I'm pretty sure that's a first for me."

And the way he came to score that winning run? That had to be a first, too.

Errors and walks and dribblers down the third-base line were all part of a crazy ninth inning.
His journey started with -- what else? -- a J.P. Howell fastball that plunked him in the thigh with nobody out in the ninth.

And that was about the most normal thing that happened in the inning.

Before you knew it, the Rays were unfurling their first World Series double-switch in franchise history. And reliever Grant Balfour was skipping a wild pitch to the backstop.

That wild pitch then caromed back to catcher Dioner Navarro so fast that he decided to try to nail Bruntlett at second. But instead, Navarro sailed his throw into center field, sending Bruntlett to third.

And then, Rays managerial innovator Joe Maddon signaled for everyone's favorite 1 a.m. brainstorm -- the old five-man infield. That left the infield so overcrowded with Rays fielders that Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard later quipped: "I thought they were about to send them all in on a blitz."

But the man who walked up to the plate after Maddon had ordered two intentional walks to load the bases said he wasn't looking out for any linebackers. He wasn't even sure how many infielders there were.

"I didn't know," the Phillies catcher said. "I didn't count them."

It already had been quite the eventful evening for Ruiz, who hit .219 during the regular season but has turned into the Phillies' hottest October bat. The good news: He'd hit a second-inning home run to put the Phillies ahead 1-0. The bad news: He also had committed a crushing throwing error that had allowed the Rays to tie the game in the eighth inning.

But he was about to have a moment that would make all his other moments disappear.

The count became 2-2. Towels swirled in the night. Nearly 46,000 exhausted voices did their best to wake up the residents of South Philadelphia. Balfour reared back and did what he does best -- launch one more 95-mile-an-hour smokeball. Ruiz took his mightiest swing.

Only to thunk a little hip-hopper down the third-base line that was about to turn the World Series upside down.

In raced Tampa Bay's brilliant third baseman, Evan Longoria. ("About the last thing you wanted in that situation was a ground ball," the Phillies' Chris Coste said. "And about the last person you'd want to field it was probably Longoria.")

Down the line sprinted Bruntlett, heart pounding like a bass drum.

"It was one of those deals where it kind of feels like everything is in slow motion," Bruntlett said. "You feel like you should be moving faster, just because you want to get there so quick. So it felt like a long 90 feet. That's all I know."

Meanwhile, Ruiz, a man who doesn't exactly specialize in game-winning infield hits, let alone infield hits of any kind, pumping down the first-base line, listened for the sound that would tell him whether he'd just become an October hero.

"Then I heard them cheering," Ruiz said. "And that's when I knew, 'OK, it's over.'"

Longoria had had just an instant to decide: Was this ball going foul or staying fair? Pick it up or let it go? Make a play or pray for luck?

He made the right call, but it was too late. He scrambled, bare-handed it, flipped it toward home -- but eight feet over Navarro's head. Bedlam reigned. This game was over.

"I was excited," said Ruiz, a man hitting .500 (4-for-8) in this World Series, "no matter what kind of hit it was. I said when I hit it, 'I'll take it. I'll take a win.'"

And this wasn't just any old win. It was a win that had almost turned into a disaster.

Three Phillies homers -- by Ruiz, Chase Utley and Howard -- had lifted the Phillies to a 4-1 lead heading into the seventh. So this game should have been over, because when the Phillies lead this big this late, they always win. They went 60-1 this year in games they led by three runs or more in the seventh inning or later.

But then it happened.

Jamie Moyer, 45 years and 342 days old, was nine outs away from becoming the oldest pitcher ever to win a World Series game, or any kind of postseason game.

Until the first hitter of the seventh inning, Carl Crawford, laid down a clinic of a drag bunt down the first-base line.

We'll never know quite how Moyer even got there. But he did. He lunged. He scooped up the baseball with his glove and flipped it to first in one spectacular motion.

"The way he got over there," Howard later said, laughing, "it was ninjaesque."

The baseball floated toward first. Howard snatched it out of the air with his bare hand. An instant later, Crawford's foot hit the bag.

But then, stunningly, first-base umpire Tom Hallion flashed the safe sign.

The groans that poured out of the seats made it feel like a Bartman Moment -- Philadelphia style.

In a town that has gone titleless for 25 years, for a franchise that has won just one World Series, this had "ugly omen" written all over it. Especially when the Rays transformed it into a two-run inning that made it a 4-3 game. And even more so an inning later, when B.J. Upton willed himself to become the tying run -- with an infield single, a steal of second, a steal of third and Ruiz's throwing error.

Had this game turned into a come-from-ahead loss, Jimmy Rollins said afterward, this would have been the call Philadelphians mourned for centuries.

"Oh yeah," Rollins said. "If we'd have lost, you know they'd have been talking about this one. That's when all the good conspiracy theories come out."

But you can toss that script into the old Dumpster because Ruiz's dribbler heard 'round the Delaware Valley made it all moot.

"That's a moment I'll remember the rest of my life," said the author of the first game-ending infield hit in World Series history. "I hope I can do it again tomorrow."

OK, so it was actually today by then. But you never correct a hero -- especially at 1:47 a.m.

Ian
10-26-2008, 11:22 AM
The one thing that did get me irked was the implication that the Rays don't need to rely on luck to win. How many times have they scored on errors and groundouts? This has been a flukey series on both sides for sure.Yeah, I think that is what irked me the most. The entire article seems to imply that the Rays are just head-and-shoulders better than the Phils and it's just their inexperience combined with some bad luck that's got them down in the series.

It's garbage. The Rays have had a nice season, but look ... these guys aren't proven commodities. They're playing well at times, but it's not like this is some pre-destined dynasty team or anything. They're a come-out-of-nowhere, worst-to-first fluke that's relied on a lot of luck to advance, not the other way around.

The Phils, on the other hand, have two league MVP's in Rollins and Howard and a guy like Chase Utley who could certainly be a league MVP some day. And there is absolutely no doubt that the best pitcher in this Series (and one of the best in baseball) is on the Phillies. I have no clue why people thought the Rays would win at all.

I mean seriously ... take away a couple bad calls and one or two Phils' errors and this is a 3-0 series. If anything, it's the Phils who have hurt themselves. Not the Rays.

I'm just so sick and tired of the lack of respect and the dissing of Philadelphia fans and teams that goes on at the national level. There's such a bias ...

Hammer
10-26-2008, 05:14 PM
It's garbage. The Rays have had a nice season, but look ... these guys aren't proven commodities. They're playing well at times, but it's not like this is some pre-destined dynasty team or anything. They're a come-out-of-nowhere, worst-to-first fluke that's relied on a lot of luck to advance, not the other way around.

I wouldn't call them a fluke, Ian. That is unnecessarily harsh. They are a good team who won one of the toughest divisions in baseball. With their pitching staff, most of whom are not even arbitration eligible, and the long term signings of Longoria, Pena and Crawford, I think this team will compete for the next few years. This is not the 1993 Phillies (which were a fluke), but I understand your frustration. It doesn't need to be an either/or situation, as has been implied in many articles. Both teams have their pluses and minuses. I was glad to hear the Baseball Tonight crew brought up how Longoria and Pena are 0 for whatever after hitting the cover off the ball the last two rounds. Finally, it wasn't about just our negatives.

Ian
10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm not trying to say they're not a good team. Maybe fluke was a bad choice of words.

What I mean is, it's not like we're playing the Yankees or the Red Sox or something. It's not some dynasty franchise with a history of post-season victory. This is a team that went 327 and 482 in the previous five seasons. They've finished in their division basement 4 of the five previous years.

If either team would be considered a proven commodity, it's definitely the Phillies. It just shows the immense disrespect the national pundits have for Philadelphia teams that they would even consider making Tampa the favorite.

That being said, I agree both these teams should have a lot of success for many years to come.

Tinkerbella16
10-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Now thats what I've been waiting to see in this series!!!! We swept them outta the ballpark...LITERALLY!!!!!!

Blanton with that homerun...I was just speechless!!! He was phenomenal tonight. Howard was amazingggggg!!!! I know its not over till its over...but man, Hamels is going to close it out tomorrow night. The Rays showed their inexperience tonight, and I loved every minute of it!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy right now..WOW!!!

Parade baby...I won't be comin to work that day!

GOOOOO PHILLIESSSSSS!!!!!

PirateLover
10-27-2008, 12:20 AM
We'll have to wait til next year to see whether the Rays are a fluke or not.

oh and by the way.... ONE MORE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian
10-27-2008, 12:21 AM
10-2 ... that's as close to a complete punch in the mouth as you'll ever get in the World Series. Domination.

So the Phillies will be winning the World Series tomorrow night and that begs the question ... who's going to the parade with me???

PirateLover
10-27-2008, 12:44 AM
So the Phillies will be winning the World Series tomorrow night and that begs the question ... who's going to the parade with me???

Umm I am very superstitious and I don't like to put the cart before the horse but... if they win tomorrow, i am marching directly down from our bar on 2nd and south to broad st and parking my butt there (assuming the parade is tuesday). Oh man...

Ian
10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
It's about time someone in the national media acknowledges this fact:

The Rays are the Story of the Year. But right now, the Phillies are the better team.

DAKustodial
10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Wow. That's really all I keep saying to myself. This couldn't be scripted any better...Cole Hamels on the hill in October in a game where they can wrap up the World Series. Last night's win really hasn't hit me yet, I don't think. I know tonight if they do what they're destined to do it will hit me at about 2am.

Ian and everyone else, I agree with you guys about all the Rays talk nationally. It was ridiculous. I had to hear last night before the game how Andy Sonnanstine had some of the best stuff on the staff and how he was a big game pitcher. Really? Did you guys see how Moyer and Blanton, our "huge dropoff after Cole Hamels" pitchers, threw the last couple of nights? Unhittable.

My favorite thing about last night's game had to be Blanton's homerun. The guy actually watched it a little and broke into a trot! I was screaming and laughing at the same time! I can't wait for tonight man. Go Phils!

Ian
10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
The absolute worst line of the night from the announcers goes to (not surprisingly) Tim McCarver.

The Phillies start the game with a lead-off double by Rollins and a sac fly by Werth. When the next batter comes up, McCarver comments that it's an opportunity for the Phils to "get a cheap run."

Can someone tell me what's "cheap" about a lead-off double and a sac fly to advance the runner??? :confused:

It's really been quite disgusting, the announcing bias. It's always what the Rays aren't doing as opposed to what the Phils are doing. The meat of the Rays order hasn't even gotten a single, solitary hit, yet all we heard about in the first three games was how badly the Phils were hitting with RISP.

Think about it ... Longoria and Pena are 0 for 29 in this series with 16 strikeouts and you've barely heard a word about it. If Utley and Howard were hitting that poorly, you don't think McCarver and Buck would be hammering them???

DAKustodial
10-27-2008, 11:37 AM
You're right Ian, Buck and McCarver have been absolutely brutal. I tried turning on 1210 so I could hear Harry and Scott Franzke, but I couldn't match up the radio and TV because of the delay. Wouldn't it be great if the Philadelphia market could hear their home announcers and the Tampa Bay area could hear theirs?

Fox's coverage has been just so-so, in my opinion. The pre-game guys finally gave the Phillies a little credit last night but mostly just talked about what the Rays were doing wrong. And did anyone else wonder why Eric Karros was screaming into the camera? I know it was loud down on the field, but the guy has a microphone three inches from his face!

The worst thing about the series so far though has been the umpiring. Absolutely terrible on both sides. Last night Rollins was out by three feet at third on that tag by Longoria. It didn't mean much in the long run because the Phillies pounded the Rays' pitching last night, but still, it was terrible.

Last thing...hey Ian, how about that RYAN HOWARD! I told you he'd get going! It's just a little bit later than I thought.

sportsguy2315
10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
You're right Ian, Buck and McCarver have been absolutely brutal...Wouldn't it be great if the Philadelphia market could hear their home announcers and the Tampa Bay area could hear theirs?

That's why I'm not watching the World Series is b/c of Buck and McCarver. Hated them even during the most exciting series (i.e. 2004's ALCS). I know it'd be an inconvenience for some, but they broadcast Stanley Cup games on cable, why not the World Series on TBS (With a simulcast over the air for the local markets)?

Hammer
10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
If you have Comcast digital cable, it is synched up with the radio broadcast. Regular cable still has about a 5-7 second delay.

I am annoyed at the few bad apples who felt the need to throw things at the Rays family section. Really? Throwing stuff at Maddon's granddaughter? Maddon does acknowledge that this is a small group that went too far (which they most certainly did) and he had a good time joking with other fans, but it is this minority which keeps us from shaking the bad image in the media.

I won't have to deal with Fox tonight, as I'll be at the game!

disneychick62
10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
lets go phillies!! best of luck tonite...nothing like havin our ace on the mound tonite...hopefully the last game of the series!! go hamels!!!:clappy::high5::yay::number1:

PirateLover
10-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Well. I think some of that story might be exaggerated or mixed up... I don't ever remember seeing mustard "packets" at CBP. All condiments in my experience have come out of annoying pumps. Unless of course someone brought their own mustard packets. :cool:

Ian
10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Not to give credence to the rumors, but there are definitely mustard packs at CBP. I got some the last time I bought a soft pretzel there.

GO PHILS!!!

PirateLover
10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Not to give credence to the rumors, but there are definitely mustard packs at CBP. I got some the last time I bought a soft pretzel there.

Wow. I went to 24 games this year and I honestly don't ever remember using mustard packets. That would sure make life easier, I despise that stupid pump. Next season I'll be on the lookout for them (and I won't be throwing them at anyone's granddaughter).

Ian
10-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I can even tell you where I got them (roughly). It was on the concourse right behind section 112. I remember only because it lead to me getting mustard on the shoe of the recruiter I went to the game with. :blush:

J9
10-27-2008, 10:49 PM
This is ridiculous. They waited to rain delay hoping that there would be a tying run. That's sooooo crooked. They should at least finish out this inning to make it fair and THEN call a rain delay!!

sportsguy2315
10-27-2008, 11:56 PM
As a Rays fan, it's a stay to live another day :)

J9
10-28-2008, 12:05 AM
As a Rays fan, it's a stay to live another day :)

You gotta admit its not really fair. I would never say to call the game when it would result in the end of the world series, but really they should have let us finish out the inning or wipe away the results of the top of the inning. Now when we go batting, the rain won't be in Tampa's eyes and the ball won't be slippery for the fielders or the pitchers. It makes for a very lopsided game as far as conditions are concerned, especially for such an important game for both clubs - especially since the only reason Upton scored the tying run was because Rollins couldn't hold onto a slipper ball in the mud. The Phillies at least deserve the benefit of batting in the same conditions to finish out the inning. They should have called it at the bottom of the 5th or 6th and screwed the rules to let the game continue at a later time, regardless of whether or not the phils had the lead. (Trust me, we didn't want to win by default - we want to earn it, and fairly)

WDWfanatic742
10-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Apparently there was a rule awhile back to where you had to finish out the inning before the runs for that inning actually counted. So back then, they would have gone back and made it 2-1 Philly's and re-done the top of the 6th.

So say the rays do win tomorrow night. What do they do for Game's 6 & 7? Push back the games a day and make Wednesday a travel day, or keep the games on schedule?

PirateLover
10-28-2008, 06:52 AM
This has to be the most mind boggling decision ever. From the 4th inning on the conditions were the same. Awful convenient that they call it right after the Rays tie. As J9 said, Hamels had to pitch in this slop and the Phils had to field, whereas whenever play resumes the Rays will have the advantage of normal conditions. That is completely skewed and unfair. If they played in the conditions for that long, why not at least play one more 1/2 inning. AND as much as I also don't want the Phils to "clinch" on a rained out game, the rules are the rules and I don't get how Selig can just make himself God and say that even if it was called with the Phillies winning... and it was pretty obvious that he didn't share this with the teams. I think it's a cover up.

J9
10-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Yeah, especially since the only reason the Rays scored was because the ball and field were so slippery that Rollins couldn't hold onto the ball so he could throw Upton out. Looking at the replay, that's so obviously what happened, and it would have been an easy out for us.

Mark my words, we're going to lose this game now. If I were Charlie Manuel, I'd be hopping mad. They pretty much admitted in a news conference that they were hoping the Rays would tie it up so they didn't have to end the World Series with its first ever rainout.

Like I said, that's fine - and understandable, but at least let us finish out the inning in the same conditions!

Hammer
10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Rays fans complain of treatment at ballpark
By Phil Anastasia

Inquirer Staff Writer

Tom Zobrist and his family saw the sights, including the Liberty Bell and the Art Museum.

They dined at some fine restaurants.

But at the end of every day, they made their way to Citizens Bank Park, and that's what they'll remember most about the time they went to the World Series in Philadelphia.

"These people harassed a baby," Zobrist, the father of Tampa Bay outfielder Ben Zobrist, said before the start of Game 5 last night. "It's not all of them. But there are a small group that are obnoxious, vulgar and rude.

"We've got kids with us, including a baby, and they should not be exposed to that. I worry about their safety."

Phillies officials, including general partner David Montgomery and senior vice president of administration and operations Mike Stiles, acknowledged that there were incidents of unruly fan behavior Saturday night, especially with regard to treatment of Tampa Bay fans.

Montgomery said he spoke with Tampa Bay owner Stu Sternberg on Sunday, as well as major-league baseball security, stadium security and Philadelphia police.

Montgomery said he was "aware that some things happened during Game 3" but said that things were "much improved" Sunday night.

Stiles said the Phillies "added security" around sections where Tampa Bay families and fans were sitting, and also changed their route to the stadium exits.

"We took them down through a service area instead of a general area," Stiles said. "We believe the situation was much better [Sunday night]."

Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon, who complained Sunday about a fan tossing a mustard package at a 7-year-old family member Saturday night, confirmed the Phillies' contention that the situation was better Sunday night.

"Yeah, from the group that I got," Maddon said. "There's still some typical stuff that happens anywhere and I wasn't concerned as much about that. Like I said, throwing items at a 7-year-old is not really good behavior. So, yeah, I thought it was better.

"I know it's been well-documented in the past. I've attended events here as a fan myself. But when it strikes home at your family, then you have to say something.

"I think somebody has to make a stand at some point."

Montgomery said "passionate" Phillies' fans believe they can impact a game and sometimes get overly zealous.

"My sense is that anytime you have 46,000 people in one place, there are going to be issues," Montgomery said. "I'm a Philadelphia fan. I've been to as many sporting events in my 62 years as anybody.

"I know our fans think they can have an impact. But when it turns ugly, as hosts it's our responsibility to get them in line."

Stiles said security personnel walk a fine line because some behavior is "offensive" but not illegal.

"Fans express things," Stiles said. "It might not be illegal but it's offensive when it's directed at another group."

Tom Zobrist said his group included nine members of Ben Zobrist's family, including Ben Zobrist's 13-month-old niece, Lucy.

"She looks real threatening, doesn't she?" Zobrist said as his daughter lifted the baby into her arms.

Tom Zobrist said some family members of Tampa Bay players declined to attend Game 5 last night, preferring to remain at their hotels and watch the game on television, or leave town.

Tampa Bay public relations man Rick Vaughn declined to comment on that but indicated that he felt the situation was "much better" Sunday night.

"Saturday night was not cool," Vaughn said.

Tom Zobrist said he has been to many major-league parks while following his son's career and never experienced anything like the scene in Philadelphia.

"They're yelling at a baby," Zobrist said. "It's not all of them. We met some nice people.

"But there are some groups, they are relentless. They use foul language. They are threatening. They scream and yell obscenities at us, and all because we're wearing Tampa stuff. It's ridiculous.

"We've been to the South Side of Chicago. It was nothing like this. We've been to Boston. We've been to Yankee Stadium. This place is way ahead of Yankee Stadium."

DAKustodial
10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm not going to talk about conspiracies or anything like that, but the decision last night to even start that game was a joke. Major League Baseball and Bud Selig should be absolutely embarassed by what happened.

Hamels couldn't grip the ball in the sixth, and probably in the fourth and fifth as well. He couldn't throw his changeup, which is his best pitch, said he didn't even attempt to throw a curveball, and his fastball was hit leading to a tie game, halfway through the sixth. The game either should have been called in the fourth before it was "official" or before the sixth even started.

Selig waited until the game was tied so that he didn't have to deal with the Phillies having a one run lead in an "official" game in a marathon rain delay. The fact that he said he would have stopped it even if the Phillies still had the lead is insulting for baseball fans.

I know deep down that the Phillies are going to get this thing done but to do it in this fashion just won't feel the same way.

Ian
10-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Honestly ... MLB has completely soured what should have been a magical and truly fun time for Philadelphia fans.

Between all the bad calls, the horrendous announcing, the ridiculously late start times, games that end at 2AM, and now this disaster. They should just be flat-out ashamed of themselves. I think they look completely inept at this point ... which has always been my complaint about baseball. Until Selig is gone, they're always going to play second fiddle to the NFL.

There is NO WAY that game should have gone off at 8:30 last night. They should have either cancelled it altogether or they should have moved the start time up to 5PM so they could get the game in. Everyone knew what the weather was going to be and how long it was going to last. For heaven's sake, it's snowing here right now!!

And the fact that they waited all that time, in identical conditions ... it was just painfully obvious they were hoping the Rays would score to tie the game. Now they get the benefit of a clean field for an extra half inning that we didn't get, plus we lose our ace at least an inning too early. Kazimir had already been pulled, so the Rays come out ahead on that deal as well. Hmmm ... how convenient ...

I'm just really angry and frustrated by this. The only thing I can say is, and I really mean this, I hope the Phils go out and just smash the Rays in the mouth the next 3 innings. I'd love to see them just smack ball after ball out of the park, shut down the Rays batters, and win it like 15-2. MLB deserves a lopsided, boring, no one watching finish to this disgrace of a series.

Hammer
10-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Resumption of Series' Game 5 put off until Wednesday at earliest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

PHILADELPHIA -- The World Series won't resume until Wednesday night at the earliest.

With rain still falling in Philadelphia, Major League Baseball decided not to attempt to complete Game 5 between the Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday night. The completion of the game tentatively was scheduled for 8:37 p.m. Wednesday.

"While obviously we want to finish Game 5 as soon as possible, the forecast for today does not allow for us to continue the game this evening," commissioner Bud Selig said. "We are closely monitoring tomorrow's forecast and will continue to monitor the weather on an hourly basis. We will advise fans as soon as we are able to make any final decisions with respect to tomorrow's schedule."

The game, played in increasingly heavy rain, was suspended Monday following a 30-minute delay with the Phillies and Rays tied 2-2 after 5˝ innings. It was the first time a World Series game that began wasn't played to completion on the same day.

Philadelphia leads the Series 3-1 and is hoping to close out its second title, its first since 1980.

Carlos Pena hit a tying, two-out single in the sixth for the Rays, and the umpires called it moments later. By then, every ball and every pitch had become an adventure because of the miserable conditions.

"The infield was tough. The ball would do funny things," Phillies second baseman Chase Utley said. "It was in bad shape. It was not playable."

If Pena had not tied it, Selig said he would not have let the Phillies win with a game that was called after six innings.

"It's not a way to end a World Series," he said. "I would not have allowed a World Series to end this way."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Ian
10-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure this doesn't benefit the Phils somewhat. I think removing the Rays one more day from their rally, giving them a little more time to think about it ... that may help us out in the long run.

Ian
10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Another thing just occurred to me. God forbid, but if there were to be a game 7, Cole could pitch now.

Ian
10-28-2008, 03:00 PM
This is an awesome article. Rarely do you see such candor and honesty from a reporter. Note carefully how closely his comments mirror ours in this thread ...

Unconventional Thinking: MLB Makes Right Decision to Cancel

By Joe Sheehan, Baseball Prospectus

We've had closers and setup men, LOOGYs (lefty one out guys) and the occasional ROOGY. So it seems fitting that the commissioner presiding over baseball's era of extreme specialization also is most effective in a limited role.

Bud Selig closes tied games.

In a decision that echoes back to the infamous tie at the 2002 All-Star Game, Selig suspended Game 5 of the World Series in the middle of the sixth inning on Monday night due to heavy rains. Early Tuesday afternoon, Major League Baseball announced that tonight's resumption of the game has been cancelled. This is the right decision under the circumstances, and MLB is correct to call it early, rather than get people to the park for no reason.

The logistics of staffing, stocking and filling the park for the remainder of the game may also require a bit more time, and this buys them that.

The effect on game play is unclear. Due to a rule change enacted for the 2007 season, the game will be resumed from the point of suspension, as opposed to being declared a tie and played from the beginning. Whenever play resumes, both teams will do so with completely clean bullpens. What we don't yet know is whether a potential Game Six would be played Thursday or Friday, and that knowledge may affect usage.

Pushing Games Six and Seven back would also open up the possibility that Philadelphia's Cole Hamels could start the first on short rest or the latter on full rest.

Now, let's start with the obvious: Monday night's game had to be stopped. The weather deteriorated rapidly starting around 9:30 p.m., and the last two half-innings were played in conditions completely unfit for baseball. That they played those innings speaks poorly for both the umpiring crew and the commissioner; had the game not been a World Series game, with the attendant attention from network executives, there is no chance that the teams would have taken the field for the top of the sixth. The problem with that, of course, is that a game of this importance should have a higher standard, not lower, for the conditions of play. For example, in the fifth, Pedro Feliz popped a ball to the right side of the infield with first and second and one out. The infield fly rule was never called. Crew chief Tim Tschida said, "The infield fly rule requires the umpires' judgment to determine whether or not a ball can be caught with ordinary effort, and that includes wind." So the determination was that no infielder could make the play with "ordinary effort."

If the weather won't let you call the infield fly rule, you shouldn't be playing an elimination game in the World Series.

Of course, had Selig and Tschida -- the commissioner has ultimate authority in the World Series -- elected to put the tarp on before the sixth, the prospect that it would never come off was apparent. By rule, a game called by rain after five complete innings (or 4 1/2 if the home team leads) is an official game, and the team leading is the victor.

After the game, Selig imperiously declared that he would simply not have allowed that. "We would have gone into a rain delay," he said, "and that rain delay would have lasted until, weather permitting, we could resume the game. And that might be a day or two or three or whatever."

It was never made explicit, but Selig, in his post-game answers, made it clear that he would have invoked the best-interests clause to prevent a World Series game from being declared over before nine innings were played. He's absolutely right about this. It is, yes, tearing up the rule book, but the postseason is not a game in June. Games should be played to their completion, and I suppose the only oddity is that we've never before had this situation arise, where a game perhaps would not have been played to its completion had circumstances fallen a certain way. Selig, correctly, and having discussed the situation Saturday and yesterday with both Rays president Matt Silverman and Phillies GM Pat Gillick, concluded that the World Series is a special case with special rules. I agree with all of this.

So why play the top of the sixth? Selig, Tschida and umpire Tim Welke all praised the Phillies' grounds crew for their management of the field up to that point, and apparently everyone involved believed that they could keep the field in playable conditions. However, doing so for the bottom of the fifth and the top of the sixth entailed delaying the game twice while they worked on the field, and when the Phillies didn't oblige in the sixth, the way the Rays had in the fifth, with a pitching change, the field conditions became a joke. There was standing water throughout the infield. There was a sty around second base. The pitchers' mound and the batters' boxes were playable, which as Tschida and Welke pointed out, is the standard they use, but that standard failed last night. The top of the sixth inning never, ever should have been played as long as Selig was aware that not playing it was not going to result in a rain-shortened decision.

When the Rays' scored, that allowed Selig to avoid invoking the best-interests clause. Unfortunately, it creates the impression that Selig wanted just that outcome, and allowed the game to continue just long enough to take him off the hook. That may be unfair, but there's no way to avoid that impression.

Starting the game was the right idea, as the forecast for the evening was for light rain, up to a quarter-inch, but nothing that would force a postponement. Selig's position that a World Series game must go the distance is also correct, and frankly, one I admire. The problem is simply the sixth inning, where Hamels was asked to pitch in a storm, in which the Phillies were asked to defend in one, and where the game changed, perhaps irreparably, when there was no chance it would be completed that evening. You can argue that both teams played in the same conditions. On the game-tying hit by Tampa Bay's Carlos Pena, the field conditions affected both Phillies outfielder Pat Burrell, who couldn't charge the ball, and the Rays' B.J. Upton, who rounded third like he was feeling for land mines. Tschida made the case that the situation was fair to all: "It turns out we have pretty identical line scores at the end of the day, and it didn't seem worse for one team or the other. What's fair is fair."

That is where things fall apart. Tschida is absolutely wrong about this. What happened last night was completely unfair to the Phillies. The line scores are not identical. The Rays have six numbers next to their name, the Phillies five. The Phillies had to pitch and play defense in the worst of the weather, and the Rays didn't. That aspect of last night, the timing of the decision to call the game in the context of what Selig said afterwards, is the big mistake.

As I mentioned yesterday, in the limited time I've been around him, I've grown to like Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, who's just a good guy who likes his job, loves baseball, and is open and accountable. Last night, Manuel would not speak to the media at all. That, as much as anything else, tells me that last night's decision was a mistake. If Manuel didn't want to address it, couldn't bring himself to talk about the decision with the media, his silence speaks volumes.

The decision to play the top of the sixth was the worst we've seen in a long time, and whether you choose to blame Tschida or Selig, the truth is that both are at fault. Their optimism about the field conditions and their faith in the Phillies' grounds crew is noble, but misplaced. The timing of their decision favored one participant over the other, and was an advantage that, in retrospect, did not need to be conferred.

Selig, in perhaps his most disingenuous moment of the entire press conference, said, "These fans obviously came and bought tickets for a night game, so they deserve to come back and see a night game." Right. Because the scheduling of World Series games is done taking into account, first and foremost, the convenience of the attendees. Because fans have demanded 8:30 local time starts for years. Because when World Series games are played in the Pacific time zone, MLB gives a rip about those people's work schedules.

The game will be a night game because Fox says so, and for Selig to sit there and say what he said insults everyone's intelligence. Just be honest and say that the game will be a night game because MLB doesn't control its own scheduling. As if the city of Philadelphia, and people holding tickets wouldn't be perfectly happy with a 7 p.m. start. Or 2 p.m. Or 9 a.m. That comment, to me, was the worst thing said last night, and goes a long way towards letting the world know who runs baseball.

Tinkerbella16
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
^^^ Wow..That article says it all. It was unfair to the Phillies and eventhough it won't change anything, I am glad Manuel did not want to speak to the media..I wouldn't either. :mad:

I just can't believe Selig and the umpires will get away with all of that, like nothing ever happend. I have been so frustrated all day today, over last nights decisions, and I reallllllly hope the Phillies whoop their behinds all over CBP tomorrow night, because now its on!!!!!!!

Let the games begin, and send those Rays home real quick!!!

PirateLover
10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
great article. sums it up perfectly.

Ian
10-28-2008, 04:42 PM
The more I think about this, the more certain I am that this extra day off favors the Phils.

I think coming back less than 24 hours after that mess would have had the Rays still carrying the momentum, the Phils still angry and off balance from what happened, and cold, tired players risking injury.

Now they'll get basically 2 whole days to rest up and recover, get their minds straight, and realize that they are still primed to win this game.

The way I look at it, the Phils are playing a tied 3 1/2 inning game where they have the extra at bats and the better pitching. What's not to love about that?

Hammer
10-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I think even if we had to have played the game today, things would not have been as bad a people were saying. While their starting pitching is stronger, our bullpen is better. Since Maddon said he was going to use the bullpen if the game had resumed today, that would have favored us. I prefer that the game is played tomorrow as I do not need to sit another night in sloppy conditions. Tomorrow night will be cold, but it looks as it will probably be dry.

Ian
10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I agree, Christine, but I think a lot of it is just, "Oh no, here we go again!" on behalf of Philly fans.

You have to admit, it seems like things can never just go smoothly for is and this sure feels like a setup for disappointment.

Fortunately, I just don't see that happening. I think it just delayed the inevitable.

PirateLover
10-28-2008, 07:54 PM
I am not as mad as I was before, I just think that the game should've been called in the 5th, not the 6th right after the Phillies lost the lead. On the other hand, you can argue that they did get an extra inning out of Hamels.

There is no way they were playing tonight. I just drove home in 30some mile an hour winds that were blowing my car on the high way, and I just saw snow flurries. This is so crazy. (I am in the same zip code as ball park, 5 min drive away).

I would like to know what weather services they checked out... every one at State College based Accu Weather says that they predicted everything correctly as early as 6:30 and were very angry with Bud Selig's characterization of meteorologists.

Ian
10-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, Selig had to place the blame somewhere. He couldn't very well tell the truth which was, "I didn't want to postpone the game until after the Rays tied it, because I would have had to break MLB rules in order to keep the game going."

Hammer
10-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Ian, he didn't have to do that. He could have invoked "best interests" clause, which is in the rules. Truthfully, I am glad the game wasn't decided on a rain shortened game. It would not feel like we won it outright, more like we won a championship on a technicality. I think that is how it would be treated in other teams' fans as well all next season.

Ian
10-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Oh, I definitely didn't want to win a rain shortened game. No way. That would have felt like a cheat.

I'm very glad they postponed it, but there's no way they should have waited as long as they did. That's my only complaint.

PirateLover
10-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Ian, he didn't have to do that. He could have invoked "best interests" clause, which is in the rules.
But it's a rule that's up to interpretation, and it would be more up for debate than letting the game tie before it was called, since rules clearly state now that tied games are suspended.

Look, I don't think any of us wanted to win due to a rain out, but rules are rules, and by calling it with the game in a tie, they were able to actually suspend it rather than send it into the longest ever "rain delay" which would've been a bit more controversial.

Ian
10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
A little pre-game pick-me-up for Phils fans, courtesy of Tom Verducci:

Five Cuts: Game 5.5 May Be Tied, But the Phillies Have the Edge

1. The Tampa Bay Rays may feel good about tying Game 5 with a sixth-inning run and about the subsequent suspension of the game effectively knocking Phillies ace Cole Hamels from the game. "We were pretty jacked up after the game," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. But the cold reality is the Phillies still hold the clear advantage in Game 5.5. Here's why:

• The Phillies have four at-bats, or 12 outs, with which to work assuming a regulation nine-inning game. The Rays only have three at-bats, or nine outs.
• The game is now a bullpen game. Philadelphia had the second-best bullpen ERA in the majors (3.19), trailing only Toronto. Do you know how tough it is to beat the Phillies' bullpen? No team has done it since Sept. 3 -- 56 days ago. And no team has beaten the Phillies' bullpen at Citizens Bank Park since Aug. 27 -- 62 days ago.
• The Rays have struggled mightily against the Phillies' bullpen. They have hit .069 against Philadelphia relievers (2-for-29 with 12 strikeouts) and scored one run in 8 2/3 innings against them (1.04 ERA).
• The Phillies have been in this exact position 11 times this year (tie game at home as they bat in the sixth inning). They are 7-4 (.636) in those games.

2. For all the criticism of the weather, TV ratings and this strange World Series -- we've played 4 1/2 games over seven days and still there hasn't been one lead change -- baseball wound up with one of the most exciting nights it ever has seen: a 3 1/2-inning game with the world championship on the line. It is baseball's version of overtime, the shootout or penalty kicks. It is baseball for people who don't have time for baseball. It is baseball for the attention-challenged.

Fox should be working overtime to promote this game. It is an unprecedented situation with the urgency you never get from baseball. It can guarantee viewers that the game, if not the entire World Series, will be decided in the late innings -- without asking anyone to invest the time of watching the first two-thirds of the game.

And there's yet another bright side to what people thought was a mess: Kids can watch the end of the game on a school night (assuming no rain delays or extra innings). The first suspended game in World Series history is not bad at all for baseball.

3. Now that it's been announced that Game 6 will take place, if necessary, on Thursday, if I'm Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, I may consider starting Ryan Madson in the seventh inning tonight (wouldn't you like a three-inning game at home with Madson and Brad Lidge as your pitchers?). Madson pitched two innings 15 times this year and he has been almost unhittable for two months. With Madson and closer Lidge, I've got a lock on those nine outs left for the Rays, without any worries about batter-pitcher matchups or who is coming off the bench.

4. Baseball simply got unlucky with all the rain in Philadelphia. Of course the late October weather in the Northeast and the usual late ending times of World Series games have spurred the annual sniping about baseball's greed and its dependence on Fox's money, anyway.

Nothing you can do about the rain. But is there something that can be done about the scheduling? Selig already has talked about finding a way to remove two or three off days from the postseason calendar. What he needs to do is form a committee that re-examines everything about how best to package the sport's most valuable product: postseason baseball. Little by little the baseball postseason has become almost too bloated for its own good. When you keep getting more and more games lasting longer and longer over more and more days, you're going to get games ending near two in the morning, you're going to risk more rain and more cold and you're going to get -- egad! -- the seventh game of the World Series scheduled for Nov. 5 next year, assuming no rain delays.

5. The most sweeping change in sports over the past quarter century is that they have been transformed from athletic competition that happened to be televised to a televised product that happens to be about athletic competition. That's not necessarily bad or good; it's just reality. But once you accept the reality that the money in sports is because of its value as television programming, you have to wonder about this: In this ballpark construction boomtime era, why aren't there more roofs over the playing fields? Why not spend $100 million (the approximate cost of adding a roof to a ballpark design) to guarantee the programming of your product, especially against an expected building lifespan of 50 to 80 years? Baseball could even help underwrite the cost with capital from its central fund or as writedowns against a franchise's revenue-sharing status.

New ballparks without roofs have been or are being built in Minneapolis, New York (two of them), Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. The retractable roof isn't some far-flung, cutting edge technology. (Toronto's Rogers Centre was designed 23 years ago.) It should be considered a basic standard when it comes to baseball's infrastructure planning and investment. The Twins, for instance, should not have been allowed to build a ballpark with no roof. The same industry standard should apply eventually to the Marlins in Miami and the Rays in the Tampa Bay area.

J9
10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!! THE CURSE OF BILLY PENN IS BROKEN!!!! FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP IN MY LIFETIME!!! (Well, I was 4 months when the Sixers won, so that doesn't count!!!)

I got my first job offer this afternoon (at both my and Jaimie Moyer's alma mater) and WE WON!!! What a day!!!! :-D

So....I'm in Disney Nov 8-15. Do you think the Phils will make a parade appearance?!?!?! And when's the parade on Broad Street?!?!?!

Ian
10-29-2008, 10:11 PM
THEY WON IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!

Tinkerbella16
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORLD CHAMPIONSSS BABYYYYYY!!!

WE LOVE THE PHILLIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian
10-29-2008, 10:40 PM
As soon as anyone gets parade info, can you post it please?

They're saying tomorrow, but I'm not sure that's official yet.

Ian
10-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Nevermind ... official word ... Friday at noon at 20th and Market. Travels south down Broad Street and ending at the Sports Complex.

J9
10-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Ugh, I wish I could get someone to go to the parade with me!!!

My dad is teaching, my brother has an exam, and my mom is useless. LOL. My best friend is in Ireland, so that's a no go. Most of my friends aren't sports people. ARGH!!!! I might just take the subway up to City Hall by myself anyway!

Hammer
10-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Really, there aren't sufficient words to express what I was just able to witness in person at Citizens Bank Park. We stayed until Moyer ( I am so happy for him), Lidge and Mayor Nutter spoke.

Lets see if I can go to the parade...

:cheer: :baseball: :cheer:

PirateLover
10-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Just got back from broad street.... we watched the game at 2nd and south and then marched down to broad. It was simply an amazing experience. Cannot wait for the parade. I will def. be there, just not sure whether I'll be on broad or in the stadium.

YEA 2008 PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kairi_7378
10-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Go Phillies!!!!!!

I can't go to the victory parade... My son is getting his 2 month shots that day. Cheer a little louder for me!!!

Ian
10-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm going!! Look for me!

disneychick62
10-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Way to Go phillies!!! you deserve it all!!!!!:number1:

JerseyMouse
10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm going!! Look for me!

Ian...

Lemme guess...you'll be the one in the Phillies shirt, right...shouldn't be too hard to find....;)

I won't be able to go due to work, but somehow I don't think I'll be missed!!!

Scar
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Congratulations to the Phillies and their fans for a well deserved championship.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go throw up.

Tinkerbella16
10-30-2008, 09:32 AM
I did not think I was gonna be able to go to the parade because of work... Well, I just got word from a few co-workers to take the day off and enjoy myself at the parade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never take off for anything and I never miss work, so I think that is why they are letting me go! :D

Woooohooooo!!! I'm gonna be there!!!!!! :D:D

Ian
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go throw up.Scar = :ack:

Ian = :yay:

TinkerbellT421
10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
:congrats: I am very glad that the Phillies one. They definitely deserve it...:mickey:

BMan62
10-30-2008, 11:50 AM
To paraphrase Queen ---

We are the champions, my friend
And we kept on fightin' to the end

We are the Champions!
We are the Champions...of the World!

DAKustodial
10-30-2008, 01:01 PM
"The 0-2 pitch, SWING AND A MISS!!! STRUCK HIM OUT!!! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!!!!!"
-The Great Harry Kalas

I don't even know how to feel right now. It's 1 in the afternoon the day after and it still hasn't really hit me, I don't think. I just keep saying it aloud to anyone that will listen, "The Phillies won the World Series." Maybe it will feel more real at the parade tomorrow or when I buy my World Series Champions hat and World Series Phillies jersey. Speaking of that, which one should I buy?? Utley? Lidge? Hamels?

TinkerbellT421
10-30-2008, 01:44 PM
"The 0-2 pitch, SWING AND A MISS!!! STRUCK HIM OUT!!! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!!!!!"
-The Great Harry Kalas

I don't even know how to feel right now. It's 1 in the afternoon the day after and it still hasn't really hit me, I don't think. I just keep saying it aloud to anyone that will listen, "The Phillies won the World Series." Maybe it will feel more real at the parade tomorrow or when I buy my World Series Champions hat and World Series Phillies jersey. Speaking of that, which one should I buy?? Utley? Lidge? Hamels?

Ya know its funny you say this! I felt the same way when the Red Sox won the world series after 387767683254 years lol....I couldnt believe it....I bought the bottle opener so now everytime I open a bottle I remember that same statement being screamed across my tv at like 1 in the am while in my living room screaming that they won! lol....Its an amazing feeling isnt it? Almost like you yourself just won the world series! lol As lame as it sounds I was so happy and excited when they won in 05 its just a great feeling. I am so happy for the phillies and their fans congrats again! :mickey:

Tinkerbella16
10-30-2008, 01:55 PM

This is an amazing feeling isn't it??? I am still in shock. The team and the fans deserve this more than anything. We've been through so many ups and downs with our home teams and stuck by them through it all...We are FINALLY WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!

I would go for the Brad Lidge jersey!!!! He is just an amazing closer, and I wish I seen more people wear his name. You can just see the passion in him that he has for the game of baseball...that last strike out was just emotional, as he dropped to his knees and Ruiz was running towards him..I'll remember that forever. Lidge was such a huge help to get to and win the World Series!!!!

DAKustodial
10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for responding Tinkerbells!

I am still in shock...I'm a full time student and I'm supposed to be doing about eight hours of school work right now but I honestly haven't gotten anything done! My wife owns her own business and works from home, and she keeps coming into our office to see how my work is going and I have had about four Phillies articles on the screen every time!

And I was thinking the Lidge jersey would be the one to get too...I've never seen a closer have a year like he's had, ever. Falling to his knees with his arms up, screaming his head off is going to be a sight that I'm never going to forget!

Ian
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Questions ... anyone know what's going on with these tickets they're supposed to be selling on the Phils' website? I can't find them anywhere.

Also, how about the absolute INSANITY over everything Phillies??? There's no newspapers, no hats, no t-shirts ... it's NUTS!!!

DAKustodial
10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey Ian,
I'm in queue to get the tickets now...they're free, and they're on the Phillies main page, bottom left. Click on Citizen's Bank Park or Lincoln Financial Field!

Ian
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I found them. Curious if anyone was able to get tickets in CBP? I hear season ticket holders got in first, so I assume Christine you got some?

I got four in the Linc. Not sure if I'll use them or not, but I figured better safe than sorry!

prprincess
10-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I found them. Curious if anyone was able to get tickets in CBP? I hear season ticket holders got in first, so I assume Christine you got some?

I got four in the Linc. Not sure if I'll use them or not, but I figured better safe than sorry!A friend of mine got 4 for CBP. I didn't find out about this until 4pm, and apparently they're gone. :(

But that's okay. I work in Center City, so I'll just hang out on Broad Street. :)

PirateLover
10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
We got two pairs for the Linc! Gonna try to catch the parade by city hall and take the subway down to the sports complex. I can't wait!!!!!!!

Ian
10-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Same here, Maryanne!

Where are your seats at the Linc? We've got two in 128, row 8, seats 7 & 8 and two in 204, row 25, seats 1 & 2!

Ian
10-30-2008, 07:28 PM
You know ... this day has been unlike any other I can remember in history. I talked to more strangers today and just had these great conversations with people who are really darn happy.

The stores are mobbed (and I do mean mobbed) with people trying to be a part of this whole thing, buying up Phils gear as fast as it comes in. I was at Modell's today and I swear it looked like Black Friday and Christmas Eve shopping all rolled up into one. The line was over an hour to check out and they didn't even have much merchandise left!!

There wasn't a single, solitary copy of the over 350,000 issues of today's Daily News & Inquirer left after 7AM this morning. They were gone. Completely sold out. It was so bad that both papers are re-printing their entire runs today, so other people can have a chance to get them.

I really don't know what the next 12 months are going to hold for this country. I know we have a lot of problems and a lot of challenges ahead of us, but right here ... right now ... I couldn't care less. And I guarantee you that no one else in the Philadelphia area does either.

The Phillies are World Series champs. The monkey is off our back. And it's amazing ... it's really, really amazing ...

Way to go, Phils! :thumbsup:

Ian
10-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh and by the way ... if anyone has an extra newspaper lying around?? :blush:

PirateLover
10-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Same here, Maryanne!

Where are your seats at the Linc? We've got two in 128, row 8, seats 7 & 8 and two in 204, row 25, seats 1 & 2!
The seats I will be using with my dad are sec 214 row 4 seats 1&2. My fiance and his friend are sec 241, row 11.

Oh and by the way ... if anyone has an extra newspaper lying around?? :blush:
I may have an extra. We got one paper at 7am. My fiance was able to pick up 4 of each paper in NJ around 6pm, it was a fresh shipment. So,once all of our close friends and families are covered, if one is left over I'll get it to you.

I walked in and out of Modell's at 8pm tonight. All the merchandise I wanted was gone. I wanted a program and a "Phinally" shirt. When I asked the guy if they would get in any more, he said "no I don't think so, but check ebay, it might be a few hundred bucks." I then told him, "That's ok, I'll get it off MLB.com for the standard price." And that's where I'll be doing all my shopping... It's so crazy.

I have to drop my brother off at the airport at 830, then I'm dropping my car off and taking the subway. I feel so bad that my brother is missing the parade... This is the first championship for us both (he was 2 when the Sixers won). We were at bars on opposite corners last night-myself at Paddywhacks on 2nd and south and he at Downey's at front and south. After I jumped up on the table, we all ran outside. I was outside maybe for 5 seconds when I saw him coming towards me. We grabbed each other in a tight embrace, jumping up and down, screaming "WE WON! WE WON! WE FINALLY WON SOMETHING!" And my eyes definitely starting tearing up. It was such a special moment, I'll never forget. Right after, someone just yelled "WE'RE GOIN TO BROAD STREET!" So we marched down from 2nd to Broad, and once we hit Broad we walked up to Walnut. It was an exhilarating experience.

Hammer
10-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Ian, you needed to be in South Jersey! I went to my local Shoprite and I got copies of the Inquirer, Daily News and Courier Post on my way to work.

Yes, I have seats at CBP on the first level (section 132). I was lucky that my co-worker (who is also a partial season ticket holder) stopped at my office when he got the email about the tickets for the celebration. No way I am driving there tomorrow though, with 100,000 people in one place. It's PATCO and the Broad Street Subway for me!

TinkerbellT421
10-30-2008, 10:50 PM
lol...I just had to throw this out there....maybe a little off topic but it fits with what Ian was saying except the opposite...Me and DBF were laughing this morning because in the sports section (We live in the NE/Boston area) on the front page theres a HUGE picture of Matt Cassel with a heading "Before Brady was Brady" and under the picture "Before Cassel was Cassel" covered the whole front page....and at the very bottom in Small Bold print it says "Phillis win the world series" We were like OMG thats ridiculous! lol....But when Boston won the world series they had a new world series headline with HUGE pictures that covere the whole front page for a month straight lol...

DAKustodial
10-31-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey guys...I wasn't able to get tickets to one of the stadiums tomorrow...I was too worked up trying to get CBP tickets that I didn't even try to get the ones at the Linc. But I will be on Broad Street tomorrow along with my parents, my brother, my sister, and my wife. We all made the appropriate calls to cover our you know whats tomorrow. "The Phillies won the World Series!" Keep saying it, Phillies fans!!! It's not going to get old!

Ian
10-31-2008, 07:40 AM
DW was able to pick up a bunch of copies of the paper late last night, so I'm all good now.

I got it all! :number1:

Tinkerbella16
10-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Sadly, I wasn't able to make it to the parade today...I decided to come into work since I'd have to use a vacation day, and I didn't want to since I'm leaving for WDW next sunday. But I am glad that I was able to get my "Phinally" t-shirt!!!! I wanted that one so bad and Im wearing today!!! :D:D

BMan62
10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
One last comment on this series --

I knew the Phils were going to win this series from the moment I heard the music playing in the background while the teams was being announced before game 1 -- Anybody that has the class to play Alan Parsons Project instrumentals for their introduction music is a winner all the way!!!

For those of you who don't recognize the Alan Parsons Project -- listen to the music in the current Dr. J Dr. Pepper commercial or the Jordan era Chicago Bulls introduction music. That is Sirius by The Alan Parsons Project (Album: Eye In The Sky)

DAKustodial
10-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey Everyone!

The parade was awesome today!!! I live in Roxborough, so I had to take SEPTA to get down there, which wasn't all that bad. Got down to Market Street about 10, tried to walk south toward City Hall to get to South Broad, but I couldn't make it...WAY too many people! So we were a few rows back from the railing on Market between 16th and 17th. I got TONS of great pictures...probably took 150 in all.

The Phillies players seemed like they were having a blast! I have a great shot of Utley pointing right at my camera, which is really cool! I hope he didn't upset too many people with what he said at the ceremony at CBP...I wasn't offended by it, myself. I know there were lots of kids there and watching at home, but it was a guy who was emotional and excited (and probably a little altered mentally since I saw a beer in his hand a little after 12).

Anyway, enjoy it Phillies fans! Go celebrate responsibly!

Ian
10-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, one thing I learned today ... SEPTA stands for "Slow, Exceptionally Pathetic Transit Authority." They were completely unprepared for the onslaught of fans. Coming down was bad, but not horrible. But going home was ridiculous. The lines at Suburban station were incredible. As I was finally getting on a train, 2 1/2 hours after I arrived at the station, I heard a SEPTA worker say there were 3,000 people in line behind me!

But the parade was very cool. Glad I did it. We were literally right in front of City Hall where it curves around to Broad. Probably about 5 or 6 rows back from the street, so we had a great vantage point.

It was a once-in-a-lifetime event and I'm happy I went, but I'm not at all happy with SEPTA. They're getting a nastygram from me!

PirateLover
10-31-2008, 08:16 PM
I'll post more later but suffice it to say I had an EPIC day.
-9am, right against the barricade at Broad and Walnut.
-1pm- Trying to get on subway, SEPTA STOPS RUNNING SOUTH BOUND TRAINS!!!!!!! They told people not to take their cars and to take the subway, and then they stop running the subway.
-At any rate we did make it back to the Linc, but a lot of others didn't.

There is soooo much more to say... I need time to get it all down. But boy, what a day.

PirateLover
10-31-2008, 11:30 PM
DAKustodial, if you put your pics in an online album can you share the link? I got a few good pics but I was on the side of the street where there weren't as many good players, and the flatbeds and buses seemed to go by a tad fast at our section.

DAKustodial
11-01-2008, 02:21 PM
DAKustodial, if you put your pics in an online album can you share the link? I got a few good pics but I was on the side of the street where there weren't as many good players, and the flatbeds and buses seemed to go by a tad fast at our section.

Sure! I'll get them up in the next day or two!

PirateLover
11-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Sure! I'll get them up in the next day or two!

Thanks! I think I'd rather have a good Utley pic for my memory album than one of So Taguchi, whose option was already not picked up :D

Ian
11-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I didn't shoot any pics of the players as they went by, but I did shoot some video. It's posted on my Facebook page if anyone is interested!

Hammer
11-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Here (http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/RU3Sh4gh) are some pictures I took of the celebration at CBP.

prprincess
11-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Here (http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/RU3Sh4gh) are some pictures I took of the celebration at CBP.Those are really good!!

I was down on 15th & Market, and we had a pretty good view. It helped that I had my super zoom lens on my DSLR, too.

It was an awesome day--I was surprised at how smoothly things went for us...even Patco!

doombuggy
11-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I am late to this thread because I was way too busy last week, but my dad is sending me a T-shrit (since i could not come home for the parade).

I had gone out to dinner at 1900 Park Fare on the 27th and got home before the game was called. I had tickets for MNSSHP the night night (a cold night for FL) and of course wore my Phillies jacket. I found out from a fellow fan that the game had been postponed again (I was in the park by about 3:30), and discussed it throught the night with various other people while standing in line for candy. :D
Went to a bar/resturant with some friends (including a friend from home) and we were heckled by some Rays fans (about 12 of them to our 3). Got home in time to see the last of the game on Fox and then called all my buddies to cheer about it. Some of my friends at home went to the parade - it doesn't surprise me that SEPTA was unprepared. Sounds just like when Pope JPII came in 1979...and I have spent a lot of years on SEPTA. :D

Can't wait to get my shirt & wear it with pride!