PDA

View Full Version : OK, I just bought a Wii - now what?

alphamommy
06-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I looked through the ads that we got over the weekend this morning, and noticed that a local store had Wiis on sale. Since the sale started yesterday, I didn't think there would be any hope of there being any left, but I was going there anyway, so I decided to ask. Amazingly enough, they still had some! I got it for DH for Father's Day, but I may give it to him tonight because I'm so excited!

I bought it, along with an extra controller and "Numchuck". I know the system came with something called "Wii Sports", but what other games are good?

Thanks,
Tammy

SBETigg
06-09-2008, 03:57 PM
I've been enjoying Mario Kart a lot lately, but it's better if you buy the extra steering wheel so two can play and there are plenty of other games that won't require extra equipment spending. My kids really enjoy Super Smash Brothers Brawl and adventure games like Zelda. I think there's a Pirates of the Caribbean game, too.

Wii Sports is my favorite, actually. We get very competitive around here but I also like to play on my own. The Fitness section of Wii Sports gives you three tests daily and rates your age based on performance. You're going to have so much fun!

tinkerbell04
06-09-2008, 04:10 PM
We love Mario Kart as well! We also like the Wii Sports and Wii Sports 2.

SpecJoe Magic
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
It's impossible for me to know what to recommend because I don't know what types of games that your DH enjoys. That being said, I will list the Wii games that I know for a fact are of high quality because I've played them.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Super Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Warioware: Smooth Moves
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

There are probably some other good games that I haven't played, and there are a few that I've heard good things about (Okami, Boom Blox, Super Paper Mario, Bully) that I plan on playing in the future.

In addition, there is now a place called Wiiware to purchase and download original Wii games from the Internet if your Wii will be connected, but I don't know much about those games right now with the exception of Lost Winds, which I've heard positive things about but I haven't played it.

Also, Rock Band is going to be released on Wii in the future. I don't know how it will turn out on Wii, but I have it on XBOX 360, and it's an awesome party game.

Finally, classic games from the days of NES, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, N64, etc. are available for purchase and download if your Wii will be connected to the Internet. Be aware that many of these games require a classic controller (sold separately) to effectively play them.

If you have any other specific questions about video games, feel free to send me a private message through the discussion boards, and I'll be happy to help you. I'm a big fan of video games, and I enjoy discussing them.

LauraF
06-09-2008, 04:33 PM
My house is all into the Wii sports (for once in my life I'm good at bowling!) and the Mario Kart is fun too. My BF has downloaded (for a fee) old Nintendo games so he can play them on the Wii too. I think it's sort of silly, but he says it's worth the money.

Remember that the Game Cube games will play on the Wii, so you can buy those up too. I'm waiting for a decent price on a copy of Kingdom Hearts (the Disney game).

TinkiTime1989
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
POTC is an awesome game. We also enjoy WiiSports, WiiPlay, Game Party, and the new WiiFit.

WonderlandsMostWanted
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Another vote for Mariokart!

We also really like MarioParty 8, which is a great game for the whole family, or a group of friends. (The youngest "kid" in my house is me, and I'm 29! :secret:) Can play up to 4 people, it's like a video game version of a board game, with mini-games between rounds.

If he like golf, Tiger Woods golf is a lot of fun too, and I don't even like golf! It's fun to actually swing like you would with a real club! It reads if you turn your wrist mid-swing, how fast, straight, high, etc you swing, it's very cool.

I was not much of a fan of Rayman and the Raving Rabbids. It was alright, but it just never captured my attention. Same with Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games... the actions didn't really co-incide with the "sports" you were playing, so it got to be a bit cumbersome and wasn't very engaging, at least in my house.

Super Mario Galaxy is another GREAT game. That one is a lot of fun, once you stop trying to tilt your head upside down! :blush: (if you play, you'll understand)

Guitar Hero is a lot of fun, and the new Aerosmith edition is coming out at the end of the month. (which is cool in a lot of ways, since aside from being a great band that I love, reminds me of the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster! :mickey:)

Also, if he was a fan of any older video games, perhaps invest in a Wii Classic Controller and a Wii Points card. Once you set up the Wii, and connect it to an active internet connection, you can download older games from other systems like the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Sega, Sega Genesis, and a few other systems. We can play old school Super Mario 1,2 and 3 on ours! And, I'm getting Dr Mario soon!

The Wii is a lot of fun, it really puts the fun back in video games.

Good luck, and have a good time!

SpecJoe Magic
06-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Remember that the Game Cube games will play on the Wii, so you can buy those up too. I'm waiting for a decent price on a copy of Kingdom Hearts (the Disney game).

I did forget to mention about the Gamecube games so thanks for bringing that up. Keep in mind that you must have at least one Gamecube controller to play Gamecube games on Wii. By the way, some people prefer the Gamecube version of Mario Kart over the Wii version.

Kingdom Hearts isn't available on Wii or Gamecube as far as I know.

Jeff
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
My daughter and I also are having a lot of fun with MarioCart.

She (17) enjoys Mario Party 8 and the High School Musical game.

We both loved Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess but then we are fans of all the Zelda games (except #2).

LauraF
06-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Kingdom Hearts isn't available on Wii or Gamecube as far as I know.
No it's not, but my BF says he hopes it'll come out soon. (He keeps checking the stores.) Until then we play it on the PS2.

jrpersinger
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Two Words...... GUITAR HERO! By far the most addicting game, ever! But I would wait for the new GH featuring Aerosmith coming out later this month. And by the end of the year (I think Nov) they will be coming out with GH:4 and it will be similiar to Rock Band.

POTC - It was fun, but it was easy. We had it beat in about 2 days.

Harry Potter - Super Fun. But the spells can be alittle difficult to remember. We found ourselves just casting a ton of different spells till we got the right one. LOL

Mario and Sonic Olympics - Another really fun game. My arms killed me after playing it the first time. I thought my arms may falling off during the rowing and swimming!

Mario Galaxy - First time I played it, I got dizzy. It was one of the first games we got and its still a game we go back and play all the time.

Trama Center - I LOVE IT. DH and the kids, no so much.

Dance Dance Revolution - We all love it. And its funny to watch others make a fool of themselves on it.

Zelda - Being a fan of Zelda oo Nintendo Past, none of us really liked it. But we seem to be the minority of that opinion.

Carnival Games - FUN!

DH has several war games. He loves them all.

The girls have Disney Pricesses, Hannah Montana, Dogz and a few other girly games they love.

And ofcoarse we have the WiiSports and WiiPlay. And probably play them the most besides Guitar Hero.

WiiFit will be here hopefully by the end of the day. I have played it several times at my friends and it was a BLAST. Can't wait for it to arrive!

The Wii was bought for my oldest DD, but its has been a huge hit with everyone in our house. We love it. I have never been a huge game person, but I play it just as much as DH and the kids. I love that it actually gets you up and moving.

MomOfAPrincess502
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I would definitely try to get Wii Fit. It is a lot of fun and really gives you a workout! There are hula hooping, stepping, boxing, running, yoga, strength training, and a ton of other exercises on there. We also enjoy Guitar Hero.

Dopey's Girl
06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
We love Mario Party (it's kind of like a board game) and play that all together a lot.

Carnival is a lot of fun too...it's old school carnival games, like ring toss and stuff like that...we love it!

Dragongirlx
06-11-2008, 06:52 AM
we just got a wii too and love wee sports.
The baseball game is really good and I beat my sister at it every time. Last time I played against the computer though I was soo good it gave up:)

We also have wii play which we got when we bought a second controller. This has a few good games as well. Shooting, billiards, a couple of brain training games, fishing, and many more.

he best thing to do though is to design and save your own character then you can save all your scores to that.

I am hoping to get the lego indiana jones game for the wii soon which looks lots of fun but I am waiting till it comes down in price its about £35 which works out as approx $67