PDA

View Full Version : Scooter vs. Wheelchair

tmosier
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I can't decide between reserving a scooter or a wheelchair for my mom. I'm leaning towards a scooter but need to know if it can be folded down and lifted into the trunk of an SUV/van?

Is a scooter the same thing as an EVC?

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
We went in May, with my Mom who needed a scooter/wheelchair to get around, and we rented a scooter and were deligted with how it all turned out.

The scooter was wonderful, as it gave Mom the freedom to go and look at things that she wanted to, without needing us to push her around all of the time. It really let her be independant, as she wouldn't have been able to push herself around in a wheelchair.

Yes, the ECV's you can rent from Disney are scooters. We rented from an outside company, so we could have it to and from the parks as well as for around the resort. The ones you rent at Disney are only for use within the park.

Although we didn't rent one that could be collapased into a trunk, there were options for that on the website, so I'm sure you could get one that would fit into an SUV without issues. If you're staying on-site, the busses can all accomedate the scooter, so you don't have to worry about transportation as much.

Jasper
06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
With all of my back problems we have considered renting a scooter for our next WDW trip. In doing my research on which way to go I have also run into the issue of scooter Vs. ECV. Apparently a scooter and an ECV are the same thing. I have seen advertisements for products that look identical and one is called a scooter and the other an ECV so don't get worried about what they are called. I know your next question will be why do they do this with the name and I can't answer that question.

As for whether to get a scooter or wheelchair I would probably choose to go with the scooter because then the person has as much freedom as possible.

ElenitaB
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I think it depends in large part on the person who will actually have to drive the scooter. Will they feel comfortable doing so? As "fun" and "easy" as they look, it's pretty intimidating trying to make your way through crowds without running someone over.

When I took my mom to WDW a few years ago, I got her a wheelchair because she ended up getting very flustered in the ECV. She didn't like being in the w/c, but the ECV proved too much for her to handle. (She was 76 at the time, if that helps at all.)

Marilyn Michetti
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I used to rent a WC, and DH said he didn't mind pushing it around because he got good exercise. The only problem was that he would be looking at something while pushing, and I'd be screaming, "look out".

ECV's are amazing because you have control. I bring my own on the plane, and it's a tiny little Pride Go-Go, and can go into a van or trunk with very little dis-assembly - the biggest piece is only 35 lbs, (I think).

The best part is when using the busses, if I'm having trouble 3 pointing it into the spot, DH will just lift the whole thing into place.:thumbsup:

disneymom15
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I vote for renting the scooter also. We've rented wheel chairs a few times and it's very hard pushing an adult up an incline and then controlling the chair on the decline. This year we are renting 2 scooters, 1 for my mom and 1 for her twin sister. Terri Sue at Magical Journeys handled it for me. Give them a call, they're great.

MsMin
06-09-2008, 05:43 PM
We rented two and have rented scooters for some time. It is so much easier than a w/c and as mentioned gives the driver so much independence. :thumbsup: My dad has a powerchair at home and they are different to drive than the scooter. The scooter has the handlebars while a power chair just has the joy stick.
My mom who was nearly 76 on our last trip w/ them did get one and was very nervous. She did manage but couldn't keep up w/ my dad. We stayed at the BWV's and leaving EPCOT after the fireworks is similar to a salmon swimming up stream (though I've never been a salmon;)).
I walked in front of my mom to help keep ppl from stepping in front of her and hoped she would not clip my ankles.
The are pretty intimidating. When we checked in I was at the front desk and they gave the scooters to my dd and I and I had to drive it to my parents so I know first hand what it feels like :blush:
I imagine it would be tougher with heavier crowds. I highly recommend them.