PDA

View Full Version : Road construction updates

DisnIse
06-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi,
Despite gas prices (which I am rationalizing that it'll actually be cheaper than being home since Chicago's gas prices are the highest in the US...), we're making the drive to WDW in a couple of weeks.
We take I-57 out of Illinois to I-24 through KY and TN, and then I-75 through GA and FL.
Does anyone know if there are major reconstruction projects along the way? I know we can't really get around it, but at least we can try to plan our timing so we don't hit the construction zones when the projects are actually running.
Thanks in advance....

Janmac
06-08-2008, 12:06 PM
There's a website that you can go to, I think it's something like 511 dot com (Haven't been there since February) that has links to the different states and interstates. This has bad weather closures as well as construction updates. In the winter you can check for snow covered roads and there's also info on flooded roads, etc.

I think you can also access this with your cell phone but the menu is voice driven and for some reason really can't understand my [non] accent.

I don't know what the problem is. We don't have any accent here in MIssouri. :D

Jan

DisnIse
06-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks!!!
There are different 511s for each state or area, but I had never heard of this before. It's perfect.
Thanks again, from over by Chicawgo... not that we have an accent either!

Janmac
06-08-2008, 04:35 PM
You're welcome. Hope that helps. I'm going to have to check out that website again in a couple of months. We're real close to 90 days out from our trip. So far, driving down with 3 people is cheaper than 3 flying down.

And you don't have any accent at all there in Chicagoland. :D My cousin in Joliet says block - like we're just going around the block - the same way I'd say black.

Or at least the way I think I say black. :blush:

Safe travels . . .

Jan

MicMouse
06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the great tip! We will also be driving down from the Chicago area in a couple of weeks. Safe travels to everyone!:mickey:

DestinationWDW
06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I75 where it meets with I85 is under construction, the section that goes through Atlanta. They have been closing 2 to 3 lanes on the weekends. I would suggest you route around that area if possible. If you can't then try to pass by that section late at night or very early in the morning.
Found this on the 511 website
Hope this helps

Construction
Acworth

SR 92 between I-75 and Northpoint Parkway - construction expected to block the right lane - scheduled 7pm-5:30am

Construction
I-75/85 Downtown Connector - Southbound

Between 10th St/14th St (#250) and University Av (#244) - Downtown Connector Resurfacing Project expected to block 2 right lanes - scheduled 9pm-5am - Southbound: Four inside (left) lanes) will be closed between 17th Street and I-20 Two inside (left) lanes will be closed between I-20 and University Avenue Northbound:Three inside (left) lanes will be closed between University Avenue and I-20 Four inside (left) lanes will be closed between I-20 and 17th Street (including HOV ramps) Motorists traveling through Atlanta are strongly advised to use I-285 and avoid Downtown altogether.Those attending events downtown should plan ahead, use public transit, or allow for extreme delays throughout the weekend.

Construction
I-85 (Southside) - Northbound

Between Coweta/Fulton County Line and Senoia Rd (#61) - construction expected to block the left lane - scheduled Tuesday 8:30am-6pm

SuzieBell
06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
I just came back this weekend (6/6-6/8)from Nashville to Woodstock, GA. and the only thing I encountered was the bridge at the Altoona Rd was down to 1 lane South bound only. Watch out through Chattanooga also, it can get backed up around 3 pm during the week. Also, if anyone is traveling in TN on I-24 during this week (6/13-6/15) Be mindfull around the Manchester, TN area Exit 111- 114. There is a HUGE concert called Bonaroo - Kind of like the Woodstock of the 2000's. Traffic can be backed up for miles!:mad: