PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving week

kadesha
06-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I keep getting conflicting answers on the crowd levels in the parks Thanksgiving week. Some say it's not too crowded, others say it's a madhouse! Please tell me the truth! lol! I'm used to May crowds, how will this compare?

jrkcr
06-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Our last thanksgiving trip, was about 6 years ago. The week leading up to turkey day was so quiet!! No crowds at all! :cloud9: Then on Thanksgiving day it was fine.
But the day after was BAD. I guess everyone was through eating at grandmas house....:eat::turkey: It was our last day, and I was at MK with our youngest DD, and DH went to MGM with older DD's. I gave up at lunchtime and went back to the hotel pool! DH had better luck at MGM.
I can't promise that you'll have the same crowd level now, but that was our first trip as a family-DH's first trip ever to WDW! Such a perfect week!!

kadesha
06-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh I hope it is like that for us!! We will be leaving 2 days before Thanksgiving, so I'm really hoping it won't be too crowded!!!

Tinkerfreak
06-08-2008, 07:59 AM
I think the reason for your conflicting reports is this:
Crowd levels have increased alot at any time of year in past few years so anyone who has not been in the past few years may not realize the crowd levels have gone up so much. I also think it all depends on peoples idea of crowded. People who are used to going during spring break or the more crowded times may consider it not bad but someone used to going during value season may find it crowded. I have never been in May so I can not compare the two for you. It also depends on what time in May you usually go. Memorial Day weekend is usually more crowded than early May etc.
I don't think I was much help but at least you know why you are getting conflicting reports. I'm sure someone who has been at both times can be more helpful.
Have a good a trip.

Cinder1978
06-08-2008, 08:34 AM
We went two years ago for Thanksgiving and it was pretty crowded. However it was not like Fourth of July. We had to wait in lines but it was tolerable. The day of Thanksgiving wasn't as croweded as the rest of the week, and on Sunday the park really clears out. We had a good time, and we are going back this year. My other suggestion is call now if you want to eat anywhere on Thanksgiving. When we called last week everything was practically booked.

:mickey:

wdw_bound
06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I think the reason for your conflicting reports is this:
Crowd levels have increased alot at any time of year in past few years

Tinkerfreak is exactly right. We went for Thanksgiving week in 05 and from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday night, it was dead - we are talking even Soarin only had a 40 minute wait - and the crowds picked up a bit, but were still manageable on Wednesday. Thanksgiving Day I had heard was nuts, so we made it our resort hopping day to see all the Christmas decorations, which was great. We went to Epcot on Friday to do the Holidays around the world. It was more crowded than earlier in the week, but still manageable (although Soarin' was up to 2 hours) because Epcot is so much larger.

We went home and told all our friends and family what a great week we had. Several of them (4 different families) followed our lead and went in 06 and said it was very crowded all week - one family even got into the habit of only going to the parks first thing and then spending from lunchtime on at the resort except to go to ADRs.

I don't personally know anyone who went in 07, but I remember trip reports on intercot talking about the crowds.

Bottom line: it's still Disney, you'll have a great time, but you'll have to plan to maximize fastpasses, EMH, ADRs, etc. and not count on being practically alone in the parks.

Enjoy your trip! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-08-2008, 09:15 AM
We went last Thanksgiving and found the crowds to be heavier then any other time of year we had gone (Sept, earlier in November, Jan, Feb and May)...The week before Thanksgiving was manageable. The days or so before and then after were very crowded. Like cattle barely moving down Main Street in the evenings. Ick.

kadesha
06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys! I can't believe I thought I was going when the crowds would be low! lol!

Oh well, I've been in peak season before, so I guess it'll be ok. this time I just won't be burning up in the summer heat! :thumbsup:

kadesha
06-08-2008, 10:38 AM
We went two years ago for Thanksgiving and it was pretty crowded. However it was not like Fourth of July. We had to wait in lines but it was tolerable. The day of Thanksgiving wasn't as croweded as the rest of the week, and on Sunday the park really clears out. We had a good time, and we are going back this year. My other suggestion is call now if you want to eat anywhere on Thanksgiving. When we called last week everything was practically booked.

:mickey:

Yeah, I've already made my ADR's. A few of the ones I wanted were full and I had to switch around some days. I still managed to get everything I wanted though!