PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Weekend

meldan98
06-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm having such a bad weekend. My husband got a call from his boss last night and told him that he is being layed off. He is giving him two weeks notice. I just can't stop crying. We just moved into our new house and I'm 5 months pregnant. I just don't know what we are going to do. We have savings so it will be a few months before we are in trouble, but just the uncertainty is just horrible.

Then to top it off our hard drive crashed and I lost our pictures from my dd's birthday and Christmas. We sent it in for repair and they can't recover them and it has to be sent to clean room to be fixed and the minimum repair costs we've been quoted is $2000.

tinkerbellybutton
06-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm so sorry that you are having such a horrible weekend.:hug: Sending tons of pixie dust in hopes that things turn around for you. :pixie: :pixie:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
They say that when one door closes another one opens. Here's hoping that your other door leads to bigger and better things.:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

disneydeb
06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
You need hug and tons of Pixie Dust. I am so sorry for what you are going through. We went through a lay-off with my husband. I had 2 small children then. I took left overs from their dinner plates to work for my lunch. I operated on a $32.oo per week food budget,but we made it. You can too. God Bless!

:hug:
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

minnie1956
06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
We;re here for you! it will work out. As far as
the computer: if the pictures are gone, they are gone. Unless you have a compelling reason to repair the one you have a brand new one will cost you MUCH less. DD is heading to college in the fall and we just scored a GREAT deal on a laptop for her and desk tops were going for great prices as well. $2000?? I think not for repairs. Good luck, prayers and pixie dust for you guys!:tink:

Kairi_7378
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear your news. I was downsized in April, when I was 4 months along, and I know that the job loss/ baby on the way thing can be awful to deal with. I won't tell you not to worry, it is very natural to do so in this situation. People told me not to worry because I would hurt my baby... but you need to cry, vent, and deal with your stress... pent up emotions can't be any better for a baby, IMO.

What are they going to do to your computer for $2000? That is a very good down payment on a new computer, if not the cost of a brand new one. I am sorry to hear about your pictures... is there no way to recover them.

Sending prayers and pixie dust your way.

jrkcr
06-07-2008, 11:08 PM
I remember that scary feeling of DH being between jobs, when we had young kids. But it will be OK. As I get older(not that I am that old...) I realize that things have a way of turning out ok in the end. Just hang in there! :pixie:

But yeah, loosing the pics must feel pretty bad.
:hug: I hope you find a (cheaper) way to get them!!
I took pics of DD16's first "real" Easter,back in 1993, when she was all dressed up and walking...and then I rewound the film and left it in the camera. Six months later, I took Christmas pics over the top of them-ruined 2 holidays photos at once!! :doh:

:tink:

Tink&Goofy
06-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I know it is scary, but keep your chin up! My DH lost his job when I was 3 months along, 2 weeks before Christmas, when I was only working part time, and was planning to quit. It was devastating! But we got through it!! We cut back in every way we could, and actually learned that we can survive an awful lot! In hind sight, it made us stronger, and gave us confidence that we can withstand ALOT. It may seem hopeless now, but believe me, things have a way of working themselves out. Try not to stress about things that are out of your control. We put our trust and faith in God, and he did not let us down!
Good Luck to you, and you know you can always come here for a boost!!

MsMin
06-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry to complain but letting someone go on the phone:mad: Was he hired over the phone?
:pixie: and prayers that things work out soon. I know it's horrible. I raised 3 kids alone so I know what it can be like when you don't know how you can afford to fix the car etc. I walked 3 miles w/ kids to pick up a car part once and fixed it myself (starter) They say God gives you what you need :angel: think positive and creative.
My computer crashed when I was working on my thesis, about 2 months before my defense. I was fortunate that my son and his boss recovered most everything on the computer and all of my thesis data and writings. It can be recovered but can be very $$$$. I've seen my kids do it but they need a more powerful computer than the one with the damaged HD and put the hard drive in that larger and more powerful machine machine. The thing they told me is that if your HD starts to crash don't try to keep rebooting, the more you do the more damage and the more difficult to recover the damage.
It's ashame you didn't have a friend who could do it for you. The recovery companies are $$$.
Sending more :pixie: keep us updated. :hug:

ElenitaB
06-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Prayers and :pixie: for you. A little faith won't hurt either... as many have said, we've been through similar situations. I totally empathize with you, and also hope that the door that opens leads to bigger and better things!

daparish
06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Much prayers and :pixie: headed your way.

laughingplace<3
06-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm really sorry and I understand your horrible weekend pain. My best friend has post concussive syndrome and doesn't remember anybody, and I just broke up with my longtime boyfriend. She doesn't remember him or our relationship, and she's the one person I want to talk to. I've just been sitting and crying this whole weekend.

I'm sending loads of understanding and pixie dust your way honey :tink::tink::tink:

Marilyn Michetti
06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Melissa,
I'm sooooo sorry for the situation you're in now. Everybody has already said what you need to hear, and it's heartfelt. We're with you, and you're on my daily prayer list as of now.
We've been married 38 years, and have been through tight times, and I promise you, YOU WILL COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE, stronger than you can imagine. That doesn't sound like ANYTHING you want to hear now, but someday, someone else will want to hear you say, "you'll be O.K.".

God Bless you! Stay strong and confident - you've got a new life to consider. Let us know what's happening.:hug:

Terra
06-08-2008, 03:55 PM
:grouphug:

I am so sorry....it's such a scary time and it seems no one is safe! I'm glad to hear that you're okay for the time being though!

Pleas keep us posted and my thoughts and prayers will be with you, DH, DD and unborn baby that a job opens quickly and all settles back down!!!

pink
06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a horrible weekend. You know what they say, when it rains it pours. I really hope everything works out for you. :mickey:

faline
06-08-2008, 04:12 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: I'm so sorry that so many things have gone wrong at once.

DisneyDog
06-09-2008, 11:36 AM
When it rains, it pours. I totally understand. My DH was laid off a few months ago. But, he used to be a recruiter and I'm a librarian, so we put our knowledge and research skills together and he ended up getting a job that he absolutely loves. It was a stressful time, though. And I cried a lot. I was terrified we would lose our house.

When my DS5 was only a few months old, our hard drive crashed too. DH had all of DS's baby photos stored on the hard drive. So, we sent off the hard drive to a company in California and paid close to $2000 to have the photos extracted. I would have been devasted if those photos had been lost. He is our only child and you can't replace baby photos. Now we have back up upon backup for our computer and we burn everything to 2 CDs and store them separately in a fire and waterproof safe.

meldan98
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Thank you all very much for the prayers and pixie dust. We really appreciate it. I've spent most of the weekend crying. But, I think I'm doing a little better today. My husband really wants to keep this quiet from all our friends and family because he is so ashamed. I told him not to worry about it, but he is a very proud person. It's also really hard to be crying all the time because my dd is starting to ask a ton of questions. She is being really sweet though. I started crying during church on Sunday and she walked over and kissed my tummy and gave me a really big hug. I really needed that.

The company we both used to work for closed the location here in our area in 2006 and in 2007and he did consulting for them for 3 months back in NYC. While he was there he met another consultant based out of NJ and he hired him right after his contract ended. So, for the last year an half he has worked from home and has done some light traveling. He has really only seen his boss 3 times since he was hired.

I contacted my old boss on Saturday who works at another consulting company and it looks like he will be contacting my husband today. So, things are looking a tiny bit better today.

Again, thank you very much and keep us in your thoughts and prayers.