PDA

View Full Version : New Toy Story Ride is AMAZING!!

pooh0601
06-06-2008, 08:49 PM
We just got back from WDW and I must say that the new Toy Story ride is a LOT of fun. We got to do it twice in 1 morning using FP's. The return time was good so that we got to go twice by 10:50am. The park opened at 9am, and the first return time was set for 9:20am.

This ride puts the Buzz Lightyear ride at MK to shame. The controls and shooting/aiming ability is much better. And of course the whole 3D effect definently makes it a much more fun experience IMO.

SpecJoe Magic
06-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree. I think this is one of the best attractions that Disney has ever added to WDW. I expect long lines on a regular basis because it will appeal to so many age groups.

elmjimmlm
06-06-2008, 10:37 PM
We will be there in Dec. and beside the decorations, this will be one of the most anticipated things that we will do...:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-06-2008, 11:29 PM
We loved it too!:thumbsup:

I like Buzz but I am not a huge fan of it. The new ride was an instant hit with me though!
I love that they have a single rider option too.

I can't wait to take the kids on it in December.

Bethanymouse
06-06-2008, 11:47 PM
The reviews have been great so far! I cant wait to check it out in August!:D

stephntampa
06-07-2008, 09:35 AM
We have attempted to ride TSM on 2 different days, the first time was during AP previews and on a day trip last week. The first time the wait was over 2 hours (4yo DS couldn't tolerate such a wait), and the second time the ride was closed due to technical problems. My AP expires this month, I hope we get another chance!!!
As an aside, would a 4 year old be able to use the "gun", or would he need help "re-loading" it? I remember reading a post recently that toward the end of the ride your arm starts getting tired from the re-loading??

SpecJoe Magic
06-07-2008, 12:35 PM
We have attempted to ride TSM on 2 different days, the first time was during AP previews and on a day trip last week. The first time the wait was over 2 hours (4yo DS couldn't tolerate such a wait), and the second time the ride was closed due to technical problems. My AP expires this month, I hope we get another chance!!!
As an aside, would a 4 year old be able to use the "gun", or would he need help "re-loading" it? I remember reading a post recently that toward the end of the ride your arm starts getting tired from the re-loading??

The rope that must be pulled to fire doesn't have to be pulled very hard or very far so I imagine a 4 year old wouldn't have too much trouble firing. I rode it twice in about 30 minutes time, and my arm didn't get tired until I was almost finished with my second ride through.

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I am so glad to hear that it is such a hit. We are headed to WDW in about a week. This is a surpise trip for my boys. We are staying at Vero and couldn't be so close without stopping by for a few nights. This ride is one of the reasons we are going. I can't wait.

joanna71985
06-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I totally agree! I rode it 8 times in 2 days (6 one day, all via single rider, and 2 another). It is absolutely amazing!!

The graphics are awsome. The games are fun (though I am not fond about the ring game). And it can be very competitive!:D

Main Street Jim
06-07-2008, 05:32 PM
From my opinion and perspective: ehhh. It's OK. Not something I'd have to do *every* time we go to Studios (which isn't all that often anyways). As my girlfriend put it, it's not one of those rides that I'd have to plan on seeing on my next vacation if I was a "regular" guest. Haunted Mansion...Pirates...Tower of Terror...IllumiNations...Soarin'....*that*'s the kind of stuff that would make me want to come back and "plan another vacation". TSM...not so much.

*In my opinion*...we got FPs around 3-3:30pm (dealing with Block Party on the way in...that's a whole 'nother story...) for 8:20-9:20pm. When we got to the attraction and got in the FP line, we felt that the merge point was WAAAAY too early in the queue, and that the FP line really bypasses a LOT of "theming" in the Standby queue. We then had to go up the stairs, down the hallway, turn around, come back, down the stairs, and finally to the load area. Our wait, even with the FPs, was over 15 minutes.
We loaded into our vehicle, and checked it out. We feel we didn't really get any instructions on the operation of the guns, and if there was, it was very low (audio). So if you didn't already know how to operate the guns at PotC over at DisneyQuest, you wouldn't know how to operate the TSM cannons.
We then moved - VERY fast - into the first room. Again, no real instructions, and we had to guess what to do. We just started firing randomly until we figured it out. Only 30 seconds or so, and we're done and zooming off to the next room, spinning wildly. Same thing - guess what to do, check our scores on our dual computer screens, and fire at stuff. Took us a bit to get used to the way these things fire, and we started scoring some points. Donna started out-scoring me, so I guess was just trying too hard to beat 'er ;) She whooped up on me by the time we were done...LOL...

So...in our opinions...FP merges too quickly into the regular line...games are over too quickly and vehicles move too quick to really get used to firing and scoring. We were done with the ride in about 3 minutes and felt it was just too "whooooosh" as you feel like you're rushed to "get things done" and score really high. We got to the Unload area and were like, "Is that it?"

Ladyvader
06-08-2008, 12:22 PM
So happy the majority of you love the new ride at DHS. A four year old will have no problem at all using our little cannon shooters. Just pull the string that's all you have to do. There is a screen giving full directions right in your vehicle. For those that have problems each vehicle also has Closed Captioning with a touch of a button just below the screen that keeps track of your scores.
The wonderful thing about this ride is it will never be the same for you twice, there are different things that you will notice each time you ride it. As often as I have been on it I still find new targets or new things that trigger events that I was not aware of.
There is no reloading of the gun, it never runs out. As for your arm getting tired, only if you are playing it to death and riding it over and over again.
Oh, and ToyStory Midway Mania is a ride that lasts 6 minutes. So, remember all who come to ToyStory Midway Mania, from Expert to Beginner, Everyone's a Winner!
I have seen little kids holding onto the vehicle and not wanting to leave it, like a new favorite toy. And time and time again I have had guests come to me and say you have a hit here.
I am very proud of this attraction, and have to agree this is one of the best family attractions to come to Disney in a long time. The theme is amazing, and yes, you miss alot if you go through the fast pass line. Think about it who deserves a bit more of a show? someone waiting in line for over an hour, or someone in the line for 15 minutes? The standby queue at Expedition Everest is far more superior than the fast pass line, and the same rule applies for TSMM.
As a gentle reminder to all of you coming to visit this attraction, if you have a baby that is not able to sit up on their own, please ask for a rider switch, the ride does move in a fast motion from one midway scene to the next and there is absolutely no lap sitting because of the lap bars. Knowing this it will go far better for you and your family.
Toystory Midway Mania lasts approximately 6 minutes, remember what all the Toys from Andy's toybox say, "From Expert to Beginner, Everyone's a winner!"

pdrlkr
06-08-2008, 04:44 PM
We just got back last week and it was one of our favorite rides at WDW!

Tigerinvestigator
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I agree with many of you. I didn't have real high expectations for this attraction but was completely blown away with how much fun it was and it's incredible theming. Mr. Potato Head was great as well!:thumbsup:

johnO
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I've got low expectations. I guess because I'm expecting it to be just like the Buzz ride at MK. It sounds so similar.....

pox24
06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow, sounds wonderful, can't wait for September.

MickeyMousse
06-09-2008, 09:56 AM
I am so glad to read such positive review about this ride! :joy: My DF has begun to grow tired of DHS, only able to really enjoy Star Tours as a family. (thrill rides for 2 of us, not the other 2 who wait for us) I am looking forward to going on this over and over!!:dance:

MickeyandTink
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
We watched Toy Story last night as part of our family Disney Movie night countdown (only 88 more days :yay: ).

After seeing the movie again (for the first time in a few years) I am pumped for this ride. Glad to see the reviews are generally good.

Hull-onian
06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
We were there just before they opened it. Toy Story was all screened off so nothing could be seen. We are looking forward to going next May. Should be a blast!:thumbsup:

brownie
06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking our next trip might be too far away now! It sure sounds like a positive addition from everyone's comments.

alilprincessmom99
06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
We are going in December, and this is going to be one of the first attractions we hit.

joanna71985
06-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I've got low expectations. I guess because I'm expecting it to be just like the Buzz ride at MK. It sounds so similar.....

It's similar, but in my opinion TSM blows Buzz out of the water. It is so much better, and I find it easier to score in TSM then in Buzz.

Disneyexpert15
06-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Great reviews!!! I'm looking forward into riding it in October.:mickey:

biggun35
06-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Mr Potato Head was awesome!!! He was cracking on people, wishing happy birthdays, singing; we loved it.

McGoofy
06-13-2008, 06:01 PM
We were fortunate enough to be able to ride it on opening day (May 31). We loved it! Our family agreed that we like it more than Buzz at MK. I posted some pics of it in my trip reports if anybody swings by those posts!:mickey:

Mousemates
06-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Yea...we get to try it out in ten days.

*goofy'sgirls*
06-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I got back from the world on Sun. and have to admit Toy Story Mania was one of my fav. rides. It truly does kick Buzz's booty. The effects are awesome and I didn't feel it to be so difficult to understand. There are instructions given throughout the scenes to remind u to shoot at the smaller targets and so on and so on. I'm sure u will love this ride and ride in multiple times I sure did.

droopy d.
06-15-2008, 09:52 AM
My friend just got back and didn't ride it once. It was out of FP both times and the wait was 2 hours. I told him I'll let him know how good it is on our Dec. trip.

AuntLaura
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
We were just at WDW and did Toy Story Mania on 2 separate days. We were disappointed that on every day the opening was "delayed" - one day for about 1 1/2 hours, and another 1/2 hour. That said, it was a big hit. Much better than Buzz - I get frustrated with Buzz because I can't tell which laser light is mine, so I can aim it better. On TSM, no such problem. I agree with Main Street Jim: I was surprised at how long you still have to wait in line even with a FP. Mr. Potato Head is great. It's kind of creepy: a lady wearing a visor was standing in front and Mr. Potato Head said "Lady - you're missing part of your hat". Overall TSM gets an A+.

Dsnygirl
06-16-2008, 01:08 AM
:mickey: Wow - I can't wait! I rode Buzz last year for the first time, and loved it... so much we rode it two more times, and I made my DH buy us the picture. :blush:

The fact that I enjoyed it so much makes me look forward to this new ride even more!! :thumbsup:

biggun35
06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
We were just at WDW and did Toy Story Mania on 2 separate days. We were disappointed that on every day the opening was "delayed" - one day for about 1 1/2 hours, and another 1/2 hour. That said, it was a big hit. Much better than Buzz - I get frustrated with Buzz because I can't tell which laser light is mine, so I can aim it better. On TSM, no such problem. I agree with Main Street Jim: I was surprised at how long you still have to wait in line even with a FP. Mr. Potato Head is great. It's kind of creepy: a lady wearing a visor was standing in front and Mr. Potato Head said "Lady - you're missing part of your hat". Overall TSM gets an A+.

Mr Potato Head made the same comment to a lady when we were there. He also made a comment to a guy wearing his backpack on his front instead of his back!

JMTStone
06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
In the parks now. Can not review. Because we waited in line for an hour. Then it broke down. Oy vey

poeticeclipse
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM

While at the promo video shoot for TSM at the end of April, I had the opportunity to see them actually boot the ride up and talk to a CM about the whole process. She informed me that it's a very difficult start-up and requires a lot of time. Cast Members of TSM have to come in I think an hour and a half earlier than other attraction CMs. They even had glitches with getting the cars moving right when we got in there so I got to see them move back and forth around the tracks and checking each car MULTIPLE times. I think once they have the booting process figured out, they'll be golden. Unfortuntely, they also have the 3-D screens to deal with. That's another mess in itself when those don't work.

JMTStone
06-17-2008, 02:49 PM
We have fastpasses for 4. We will update then. Fifteen minutes until Block Party Bash

Coach48
06-19-2008, 07:17 AM
We won't be there til Apr. 09.My kids are already bugging me about riding TSM.

LudwigVonDrake
06-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I can't wait to ride it in three weeks :yay:

stephntampa
06-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Me and 4 yo DS drove over to HS and were at TSM fastpass machine at 9:25AM, then immediately got in line. Posted wait time was 45 minutes, we actually waited 35 minutes, and the fastpass was good from 11:00 to 12:00.
So we got to ride twice, it was awesome! My son hasn't stopped talking about it! The highest score to date (as of 6/19) was a little over 299,000 (can't remember exactly).

grego77
06-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I was in DCA yesterday and rode TSM...I LOVED IT! Just a JOY to ride. Totally blows Buzz Lightyear out of the water. I love the games, and the overall hilarity of it all! Well worth the wait. :mickey:

I am guessing the ride is pretty much the same at both parks, so I am ok in posting my comments in this thread too. Below are my pictures! :)

Pictures:

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/clarkie_greg06/Disneyland%20June%202008/ (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/clarkie_greg06/Disneyland%20June%202008/)

princessjojo
06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
We rode it 3 times in one day last week and loved it. I really didn't expect much of it, I guess trying to compare it to Buzz, but it was so different and on a whole new level. And the look of Tommy's room is amazing. I just loved the entire ride, but for the life of me, can't figure out how someone could have scored 311,000 points. I was amazed at being able to 125000. I can't wait to ride it again when we go back in Aug.

benny
06-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow - these reviews sound awesome. We will be there in December and I can't wait to ride it. I have just one question though, I am, shall we say, of the pooh shape, and wondered what the ride vehicles are like? Would two adults fit in together comfortable? We fit just fine in Buzz Light Year.

stephntampa
06-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Benny,

The ride vehicle has plastic molded seats (not a bench seat), and each seat has its own pull-down lap bar. I think "pooh sized" guests would be comfy.

benny
06-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Benny,

The ride vehicle has plastic molded seats (not a bench seat), and each seat has its own pull-down lap bar. I think "pooh sized" guests would be comfy.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Aggie97
06-22-2008, 05:54 PM
We rode this last week and absolutely loved it. It really blows away Buzz Lightyear. Theming in the queue and loading areas is outstanding, including Mr. Potato Head; the pop guns are very easy to use; the games are a blast; and the 3D effects are fantastic. I loved that I actually could see my my shots hitting (or missing) the targets, unlike Buzz, where I have a hard time distinguishing which red dot is mine.

Can't wait to ride this again in October! :mickey:

Laughin' place
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I was really impressed, and so were our teenagers (who didnt plan on being impressed ;) ). We had about 15 minute wait time at EMH rope drop, and we got a FP before getting in line. We got to ride twice in about 90 minutes time, and saw wait times well over two hours the rest of the day. It is an amazing ride, but it goes by VERY fast and the first time thru you spend most of the brief and fast ride getting the hang of things. Id suggest riding more than once, and try to get there first thing in the am and grad your fast pact before you line up

Ladyvader
06-26-2008, 08:12 AM
I love reading all the comments. I will warn everyone that our lines are huge now that school has let out. Prior planning will make it so much easier on you and your family. So in other words "the early worm gets the fastpass". I think that is how the saying goes.
Our lines are running anywhere from as high as 2 and half hours and averaging about 90 minutes throughout the day. The lines ebb and flow like the ocean so try to check back often. And hopefully you will catch it at a good time.
The queue and DHS is all indoors and airconditioned so even a long wait is helped by so much to see around you.
Make sure if you have small kids in line with you to take something to help the wait a little more bearable. And for the comfort of all of you take a chance to go to the restrooms before getting in a two hour line. I have seen many a dancing child have to leave just as they were about to get on the ride.
We are asking that no children under the age of 12 months ride the ride. All children must be sitting down on their own, there is no lap sitting allowed. See a cast member at the greeter position out front to help you juggle your baby swap.
The most important thing is to remember we have summer crowds, its a new attraction and now one of the most popular rides at WDW and DL so be prepared. Disney is indeed magic but there is no way for us to keep the lines down!
Look forward to seeing you there!