PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Prices Have Gone UP!!!

pooh0601
06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
We just got back from a trip to WDW and ate dinner at Cape May and Ohana's, and both places had their adult prices raised to $30.99 and the child price is $14.99. They use to be $26.99 and $12.99, so that is quite a jump IMO.

We definently will be re-thinking where to eat next time, as Cape May is definently NOT worth $30.99 IMO. Ohana's maybe...

Has anyone else noticed any price increases at restaurants recently?

mainemajor
06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
While it is sad this is happening, I think we will see prices at most restraunts going up due to their increased costs of doing business. Food and energy costs are skyrocketing and that will be reflected in our costs. :(

KylesMom
06-06-2008, 09:33 PM
This was discussed a few months ago that during holiday and summer hours there would be a "surcharge" in dining prices. Not sure if they're going to leave the prices where they are, or drop them when Value season hits. It was my understanding that until somewhere around July 5th buffets would increase by around $4 each.:(

pooh0601
06-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Why would they have a "surcharge" for the food during summer months? I can understand maybe raising things for the holidays.

But the idea of raising prices for just the summer just doesn't sit well with me. It blows the whole "increase in fuel costs, food prices, etc." out of the water. Because if that was the case, the increases would be permanent, not just temporary.

I never saw anything "in advance" of going to WDW that mentioned this happening. Was there an article in the Orlando Sentinel, or somewhere to let people know of this summer surcharge?

DizneyRox
06-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Why would they have a "surcharge" for the food during summer months? I can understand maybe raising things for the holidays.

But the idea of raising prices for just the summer just doesn't sit well with me. It blows the whole "increase in fuel costs, food prices, etc." out of the water. Because if that was the case, the increases would be permanent, not just temporary.
The Summer Surcharge started with the Memorial Day Holiday and is extended through the July 4th Holiday. I know that time of year is always the most festive around my house, not yours?

If you really want an explaination, look up the word GREED in the dictionary. It's all spelled out there.

pooh0601
06-07-2008, 08:47 PM
If you really want an explaination, look up the word GREED in the dictionary. It's all spelled out there.

I know some other words that can be looked up too while you got that dictionary out...

So basically if I go back to these restaurants after July 4th, I will be paying $26.99 instead of $30.99? That just seems absurd. Has anyone heard if they will be raised for the ever so festive Labor Day Holiday? And how about those insignifacnt holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas, perhaps an increase then as well??

disneydeb
06-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Has it effected the DDP?

kadesha
06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Has it effected the DDP?

that's what I was wondering too...

KylesMom
06-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Nope, just good old-fashioned cash paying customers. Here is a thread discussing this from a short time ago . . .

Dining Surcharges (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=132266&highlight=Dining+Surcharge)

DizneyRox
06-08-2008, 07:42 AM
So basically if I go back to these restaurants after July 4th, I will be paying $26.99 instead of $30.99? That just seems absurd. Has anyone heard if they will be raised for the ever so festive Labor Day Holiday? And how about those insignifacnt holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas, perhaps an increase then as well??
I'm not sure about Labor Day, but yes, Turkey day and Present Day have surcharges, as well as Easter.

It's only buffets if my memory servers me right, at least this current round. It started Turkey Day last year and was announced up until this Summer. I would expect that if it all went as planned, we can expect another surcharge, and honestly, it will probably be $5 or more.

Polynesian Dweller
06-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Ok, I'm not going to be a defender of Disney, but as a former hotelier whose hotel had a restaurant I can explain some surcharges. In high holiday times with buffets there are two main extra costs that come into play.

First, you are producing far more food than normal so you do actually need more kitchen staff and table staff to keep the tables clean and you cleaning of dishes and pots goes up considerably.

Second, you are producing more waste food. Go to a kitchen sometime and see how much is cut off vegetables, meat (trimming of fat). It costs you to buy that food first off and second it costs you to dispose of the waste.

There are lots of other costs that increase with an increase in the number of patrons and they all add up.

Not everything is about greed, often, if you really know the business, its about costs that the average attendee does not see, and why should they, they should just enjoy their meal without worrying about what went in to produce it.

jonahbear2006
06-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I agree with food costs being high. My husband and I have both worked in food services, in the past, and most restaurants don't make that much money, in relation to the costs of producing the spread you see. At buffets it is worse because you have allowed all you can eat and not only do you have people taking advantage of this but a lot of throw away food from people not liking something or just getting everything off the menu and not being about to eat it all. We all know that Disney is racking in the bucks but we also have to remember how much money they shed for their water bill, power bill, and maintaining these parks. Selling food is the best way they can make this money back because their wait staff is mostly paid by you, the tipper, and food in bulk is much cheaper than making merchandise to sell. I would chalk it all up to, Disney was always expensive and as long as it exists it will always be expensive compared to our economy. I am just lucky to be there, so I try not to get worked up about their prices. If everything there was cheap, imagine what your visit would entail........extremely busy all the time, people who don't value the time and money put into their trip ruining it by bad behavior and outrageous actions, quality would not exist in any form, and you probably would not find this a magical place.