PDA

View Full Version : July New York City Meet

Jared
06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
It's that time of year again! Ellen and I are organizing our semi-annual New York meet, which well be held the weekend of July 19, either Saturday or Sunday.

Please post which date works best if you are interested in attending. Also feel free to suggest possible plans. Ellen and I will eventually come up with something more final.

Hope to see everyone soon!

mouseketeer mom
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Both days are good for me. Count me in this year! We are between our summer Colorado and Disney trips. It will be myself and my two daughters.:mickey:
Lisa

kakn7294
06-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey Jared, DH and I are coming into NYC from Pittsburgh for that weekend for the Sunday Yankee game. We'll arrive about 5p on Sat and are leaving Mon am but depending on the time of the meet, we might be interested. We are planning a self-tour of mid-town Manhattan both evenings. Keep me in mind and let me know when the details are planned!

laughingplace<3
06-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I wishI could attend but I can't, I will be in Florida that weekend. :(

BronxTigger
06-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Sounds good. Either day is fine for me.

MinnieMommie
06-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Both days sound good for me too Jared with a slight preference for Saturday. :mickey:

TikiGoddess
06-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll have to talk to my hubby, but either of those days sound good --- with a preference to Sunday.

Kathy

DisneyCouture
06-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Sounds like fun either of those days is good with a preference to Sunday.

grego77
06-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I will let you know closer to the date...I may be able to come down for the weekend.

Keep me updated. :mickey:

NYCGirl2582
06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm available on whatever day you choose to meet. If you want to go eat somewhere, Carmine's is a good place. It's a little on the expensive side, but you only need 1 entree for every 3 or 4 people, since they're so big. There's also this great Cuban place on 111th and 3rd, and they have a live band on the weekends.

BronxTigger
06-14-2008, 10:25 AM
*sings*

Start spreading the news...
We're havin' a meet...
You want to be a part of it?
Our New York Meet!

We're picking a date...
and a place to be...
So just let us know,
If you can come to our meet!

Yeah, okay...seriously this thread just needed a bump haha!

The last two meets we have started at the World of Disney at 55th n 5th and then moseyed over to the Heartland Brewery that's at 51st and 6th.

TikiGoddess
06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
This is totally off topic -- but if anyone has an answer PM me...

Is there a way to get cheap Lion King tickets? I would love to take my DD5 to see it but can't afford $100 seats...

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread!

Kathy

grego77
06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I have a slight preference to Sunday as well for the meet next month.

Kathy, I may be able to help you. I will PM you when I get home tonite. :mickey:

JPL
06-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I will be ate Yankee Game on the 19th so Sunday would be the only day I could possibly make it. But let me double check the date with my Step Dad on the game not sure if he said the weekend of the 19th or the 19th :confused:

Jared
06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Seems like more people want Sunday, so let's right now call the meet for July 20. Anyone have any fun ideas? I have no problem going back to Heartland Brewery, but I'm open to suggestions.

:tasty:

BronxTigger
06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Sounds good to me. The Heartland is good too.

If it's nice, maybe we can get sandwiches from somewhere and take them into Central Park and have a picnic. Or, maybe if people want to hang out after our meal we can go into the park and get ice cream or something.

Jared
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Bethany and I thought we could try either Olive Garden or Chevys in Times Square. It's a short subway ride away from the World of Disney store, and both restaurants can easily accommodate large parties.

Let the discussion begin.

BronxTigger
06-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I like Olive Garden because it includes unlimited breadsticks and salad! Most Olive Gardens also have a smaller area designed for group seating. I'm not sure if they take reservations for that or not, nor do I know if that particular Olive Garden has that type of little room. The one on 23rd Street and 6th Avenue is far less crowded than the Times Square location (but much farther from WOD.)

If we are going to trek over to Times Square, there's also a lot of other places to eat also:
Bubba Gump's
Dallas BBQ (I think?)
Hard Rock Cafe
The list goes on...

Jared
06-16-2008, 12:13 AM
We had a meet at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. a few years ago and had fun, but it wasn't great for a large group. It was tough to have legitimate conversation because of the table configuration.

grego77
06-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I liked Heartland a lot...close to WOD, great for conversation, and really good food.

I vote for Heartland :thumbsup:

JPL
06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I vote anything but Olive Garden :ack::sick:

Jared
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I vote anything but Olive Garden :ack::sick:
Does this mean you're actually coming?

;)

JPL
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Just need to double check the date of the Yankees game :thumbsup:

kakn7294
06-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Any idea what time all this might be happening? I have tix to the Yankees game on Sunday.

mouseketeer mom
06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Is Heartland Brewery like a bar? I was going to bring my two girls, they're 14 and 12.

Jared
06-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't worry! Heartland Brewery is totally appropriate for your girls. It's a restaurant with a bar attached, but it's completely wholesome and friendly. Here's (http://14935.williams.hostinglogin.com/media/heartlandbrewery.html) the Web site.

TikiGoddess
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Heartland's fine with me... it was nice and quiet last year, great to be able to chat and not have to shout. I will most likely be bringing my 5 yr old DD (her first trip to NYC!).

What about the tea place that Ellen mentioned for last year's meet?

Kathy

OhGee
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Just wanted to throw this restaurant idea out to you all. The Papillon Bistro (http://www.papillonbistro.com/) is around the corner from WOD near Park on 54th. It is a nice place and has a great quiet area for groups. I also happen to know the owner so I know he would be happy to accommodate us.

BronxTigger
06-16-2008, 08:54 PM
OhGee! I hope you can make this one! I know you were busy the last two.

MinnieMommie
06-16-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't really care where we eat and will leave that for you NY people who have actually eaten at the places mentioned. I am most interested in visiting the WOD so as long as it will be easy to get to there from where we eat I am all for whatever you select. One question: Has anyone eaten at Hard Rock and is it any good? :mickey:

BronxTigger
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't really care where we eat and will leave that for you NY people who have actually eaten at the places mentioned. I am most interested in visiting the WOD so as long as it will be easy to get to there from where we eat I am all for whatever you select. One question: Has anyone eaten at Hard Rock and is it any good? :mickey:

I haven't eaten at the NYC one...I have eaten at the La Jolla, CA one and the food was just like any other hamburger joint along the lines of Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe...and similarly priced.

mouseketeer mom
06-17-2008, 06:17 AM

I'm with MinnieMommie...as long as its pretty easy to get to from the WOD store, I'm good! Also, as long as its family friendly too, it doesn't matter where we eat!! I'm so looking forward to the meet!

smiles_rock
06-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I'd like to join all of you for the meet if that's ok with everyone.

laurie

tinkerbellybutton
06-17-2008, 05:54 PM
We may try to make this meet as well. We'll just go with the flow so whatever everyone decides we're on board as long as it's family friendly :D

Jared
06-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Bethany and agree Heartland Brewery is the best option, but we are still open for suggestions. Ellen, the New York group matriarch, has to approve any decision, and I haven't talked to her in a few days.

But right now, the tentative plan is we meet at noon at the World of Disney store, shop and browse for a while, then go eat. After lunch, we can do whatever.

:)

kakn7294
06-17-2008, 07:22 PM
But right now, the tentative plan is we meet at noon at the World of Disney store, shop and browse for a while, then go eat. After lunch, we can do whatever.

:)Well, I guess I'm out! We'll be at Yankee Stadium at noon. I was hoping to be able to participate.

BronxTigger
06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, I guess I'm out! We'll be at Yankee Stadium at noon. I was hoping to be able to participate.

Awww, man! I was hoping you could come too!

It will be too late to meet for dinner, especially because a lot of people have a long way to travel.

Perhaps I can meet up with you for ice cream or pizza after the game. I do have to go back up to the Bronx after the meet!

Jared
06-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I would be up for that, too. Hopefully, a few of us can go meet up after the regularly scheduled meet.

BronxTigger
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Giovanni's Pizza at 149th and the Concourse would be good...only one train stop away from the Stadium but good pizza!

kakn7294
06-17-2008, 10:50 PM
We're open to having a personal tour guide or two after the game and getting something to eat somewhere. We're actually coming back to Manhattan after the game so we can meet whomever is still there that late or we can meet you somewhere in the Bronx (just give me some directions!). Bethany, I still have your cell # from our trip last year - is it the same #? PM me if you need mine again or if yours has changed.

TikiGoddess
06-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi kids,

Looking forward to the meet! I booked a hotel in Stamford for my daughter and I on Saturday night, so she'll be with me on Sunday! Don't know if we'll see you at the WoD but will definitely make it to lunch. Can I assume lunch will be around 1pm?

Kathy

mickey&missy
06-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey everyone! Can a meet newbie join?!

I'd love to come! It would be great to meet some intercot friends!

I'm not sure if it will just be me or be me and DH. He'll be returning from a trip the day before. I'll know for sure as we get closer.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

tinkerbellybutton
06-22-2008, 08:23 PM
It looks like we're going to try to make this meet if nobody minds. DS has always wanted to go to NYC (those of you who met him at the NE meet noticed the Yankees hat ;) ) It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive so we're going to try to find a hotel, anyone know what kind of luck we'l have at a reasonable price?

TikiGoddess
06-22-2008, 08:41 PM
It looks like we're going to try to make this meet if nobody minds. DS has always wanted to go to NYC (those of you who met him at the NE meet noticed the Yankees hat ;) ) It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive so we're going to try to find a hotel, anyone know what kind of luck we'l have at a reasonable price?

I looked in Manhattan for a reasonably priced hotel and only came up with prices in the $200+ range. That's not reasonable for me, so I went with a hotel in Stamford, CT for $75/night. It's a Hilton located very close to the train station -- the plan is to stay there Sat night and then take the 45 min train into the city for the day. The train is not that expensive and neither is the parking.

Looking forward to meeting you -- I was hoping to be at the NE meet but DH had a conference.

Kathy

tinkerbellybutton
06-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I looked in Manhattan for a reasonably priced hotel and only came up with prices in the $200+ range. That's not reasonable for me, so I went with a hotel in Stamford, CT for $75/night. It's a Hilton located very close to the train station -- the plan is to stay there Sat night and then take the 45 min train into the city for the day. The train is not that expensive and neither is the parking.

Looking forward to meeting you -- I was hoping to be at the NE meet but DH had a conference.

Kathy

That's great info, thanks. Maybe we'll end up staying there too. I'm glad we'll actually get to meet this time.

kakn7294
06-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I looked at the places in Stamford too - very nice looking places - but it's a longer drive than we wanted coming in from Western PA so we're at a Fairfield Inn in Parsnippany, NJ at a AAA rate of $72 per night. Awesome deal if anyone is looking for a place to the west of the city - there are some other very nice looking places in that area as well that are very reasonable. Supposedly we're about 30 min from the George Washington bridge. We plan to park at a NJ park 'n ride and use public transportation from there into NYC.

ElenitaB
06-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Kathy, you might do better staying someplace even a bit closer, like in Secaucus (http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pages/mappage.html). There's several modes of transportation available from there, including trains to Penn Station (34th) and busses to the Port Authority (42nd).

kakn7294
06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Kathy, you might do better staying someplace even a bit closer, like in Secaucus (http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pages/mappage.html). There's several modes of transportation available from there, including trains to Penn Station (34th) and busses to the Port Authority (42nd).We're coming in on I-80 and actually going to Yankee Stadium. Our hotel is supposed to be right off 80 in Parsnippany. I figured that we could drive in and park at the Fort Lee park 'n ride and take NJ transit into NYC across the GWB to the Port Authority station on 42nd then catch a subway to the Bronx. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like the most convenient place with the cheapest rates. Secaucus hotels looked much more expensive and it takes almost an hour longer to get there according to Mapquest. Of course, I don't know my way around the area at all so I'm just guessing based on research on the internet. We have to do cheap as we are headed to WDW just a few weeks later!!!

Alligirl
06-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Wow! Now I am sooo glad that I couldn't sleep tonight and came to visit Intercot!!
I am going to check my calendar and see if I too might join the festivities if'n y'all dont mind!!!:thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
We're coming in on I-80 and actually going to Yankee Stadium. Our hotel is supposed to be right off 80 in Parsnippany. I figured that we could drive in and park at the Fort Lee park 'n ride and take NJ transit into NYC across the GWB to the Port Authority station on 42nd then catch a subway to the Bronx. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like the most convenient place with the cheapest rates. Secaucus hotels looked much more expensive and it takes almost an hour longer to get there according to Mapquest. Of course, I don't know my way around the area at all so I'm just guessing based on research on the internet. We have to do cheap as we are headed to WDW just a few weeks later!!!

You'll do fine at this hotel. It's close to my Mom's house, I know where it is. You'll breeze on and off of 80. Its not a real congested area like Seacaucus. You'll be at the bridge in less than 1/2 an hour.

kakn7294
06-23-2008, 08:52 AM
You'll do fine at this hotel. It's close to my Mom's house, I know where it is. You'll breeze on and off of 80. Its not a real congested area like Seacaucus. You'll be at the bridge in less than 1/2 an hour.Thanks for the reassurance! I feel better now! I was worried I made a mistake because I've had more than one person tell me we should stay closer to the city but that's just so expensive!

Jared
06-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Looks like we have a great group coming. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Piglet822
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I thought about it, I really did. I even checked airfare to LGA - I was going to call Ellen and reserve my room. Then I remembered that's the weekend we're leaving on a camping trip.
Maybe next year.

tinkerbellybutton
06-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I thought about it, I really did. I even checked airfare to LGA - I was going to call Ellen and reserve my room. Then I remembered that's the weekend we're leaving on a camping trip.
Maybe next year.

That's too bad, It really would have been great to meet you. :(

Piglet822
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Aw, thanks Traci :) Maybe next time.
My best friend spells her name the same way you do.

tinkerbellybutton
06-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Aw, thanks Traci :) Maybe next time.
My best friend spells her name the same way you do.

I'm sure one of these days at one of these meets. I like finding other Tracis, I think it's the most uncommon way to spell it.:thumbsup:

Jared
06-27-2008, 09:36 AM
There has been a push to have the meet Saturday afternoon, not Sunday. How do people feel about that?

mouseketeer mom
06-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Saturday works for us!

tinkerbellybutton
06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
We're good with either day because we're going to make a weekend out of it anyway. Just let us know and we'll be there! :mickey:

TikiGoddess
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Either Saturday or Sunday work for me!

Kathy

BronxTigger
06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Sounds good. Either day is fine for me.

:thumbsup:

grego77
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I am 75% sure I can do Saturday, but I much prefer Sunday...especially after thinking it was definite that we were on for Sunday.
I am going to have to pull some strings. Keep me updated...I'll give you an answer when I get back from Korea (after the 9th), and can see if I can work my magic.

OhGee
06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Either day would be fine for me. My sister and I celebrate July birthdays and that would be the weekend we would celebrate with my family. As soon as I know the day of the meet, I can arrange to have the party the other day. Thanks :)

kakn7294
06-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I might be able to make Saturday depending on a number of factors for getting us to the city. When a day and time are nailed down for certain, I'll let you know if we'll be there.

Alligirl
06-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Well Saturday would be better for me. My DD will be in town working and I could stop by to see her. But if it is Sunday I will try for that also! :mickey:

Jared
06-28-2008, 12:07 AM
I think the meet will be Saturday. More people have expressed that day as a preference.

MinnieMommie
06-28-2008, 10:48 PM
This is good news - at least for me. I have to take one of my kids to Boston Sunday night so that day was looking unlikely for me. I have a real decent chance of being able to come now that it is Saturday!! :mickey:

mickey&missy
06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Darn! If it's Saturday I'm out!

alpro2
06-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey guys....sorry but that weekend is tight for me. :( I'll be thinking about you all! Have fun and I look forward to hearing about it.

Mackflava99
06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I would like to go if at all still possible-
It will either be myself or me with wife and 2 kids-
depends on our messy schedule.
Thanks-
Bryan

ElenitaB
07-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Gosh, I hate to flip-flop and potentially affect people's ability to make it to the meet (particularly those coming from afar), but I'd like to suggest that we move the meet to Sunday so that my co-moderator JPL can attend as well. It seems that we've been trumped by the Yankees!

Let's do a roll call so we can figure out how many people (and littler people) will be attending. That will make it easier to figure out when/where to go afterwards.

I'll start (cut and paste when you add your group on):

ElenitaB (Ellen) and DS-12

mouseketeer mom
07-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Myself, Lisa
and 2 DD's Katie 14, Khloe 12
so..3 altogether!

Mackflava99
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
put me down- bryan-
i willlet you know later if my family is coming
Sunday is fine

Jared
07-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Needless to say, I will be there.

BronxTigger
07-01-2008, 02:20 PM
:drama:
:shake:

:stop:! Make up your minds! When is it?!?

;)

TikiGoddess
07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
TikiGoddess and DD5 -- and we can attend either day.

Kathy

OhGee
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Just me, Grace :)

tinkerbellybutton
07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
ElenitaB (Ellen) and DS-12
Lisa and 2 DD's Katie 14, Khloe 12
- bryan-
Jared
TikiGoddess and DD5
Grace
Traci, Bruce,DD18,DS11,DGS8mo,DSIL & Bryant

mickey&missy
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
If it's Sunday it will be my DH and I :mickey:

If it's Saturday we can't come :(

I'll keep checking to see when it is! Thanks!

Jared
07-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Time for a bump. Melissa, the meet will be Sunday.Glad you will be able to make it!

Two more weeks!

:D

Jared
07-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Anybody else?

grego77
07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I will let you know by this weekend.

Alligirl
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Well I really want to go but my DH is just home from a two week trip DD is back on the road again on her college internship and I am up to my elbows planning a kitchen renovation so...can i let you know later?! Maybe I can just meet you at WoD if you need to know in advance for lunch reservations?! Thanks!! If I dont make it, have a great visit and take lots of pic's!!:mickey:

Jared
07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
If we go to Heartland Brewery, we won't need to make a reservation. Two years in a row we have just popped in without notice and been accommodated. Hope you can make it!

mouseketeer mom
07-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Any specifics yet? Place, time, date for sure?

Jared
07-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Any specifics yet? Place, time, date for sure?
Here's the plan:

We are meeting at the World of Disney store on 5th Avenue at noon on Sunday, July 20. When everyone finishes shopping, we will walk over to Heartland Brewery for lunch.

The meet is one week away. Everyone please post who is attending so Ellen and I can compile a final headcount.

mouseketeer mom
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok! I'll go first..its me, Lisa and my 2 DD's Katie and Khloe (14 and 12) for sure. So three of us! Can't wait to meet everyone!

mouseketeer mom
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Ut Oh. I just took a virtual tour of the World of Disney store in NYC and I'm in trouble!! It looks great!!

BronxTigger
07-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I'll be there.

Headcount: 1

And yes, the WOD can get a person in trouble. Maybe if we're lucky, some characters will be there for photos while we are there.

ElenitaB
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
You mean characters besides us? :blush:

I'll be there with DS, Ben... so that's another two!

mickey&missy
07-12-2008, 10:30 PM
DH, John and myself, Melissa!

Where at WOD are we meeting?

JPL
07-12-2008, 10:45 PM
I will be there :thumbsup:

Jared
07-13-2008, 08:46 AM
DH, John and myself, Melissa!

Where at WOD are we meeting?
Melissa, we will either be right in the lobby or directly outside the store. On Thursday or Friday, I will send out a Private Message with my cell phone number to all attendees who don't already have it, in case there is a problem.

Jared
07-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Here is the official list. I will update this post regularly.

Jared (Jared)
Ellen (ElenitaB) and Ben (son)
Bethany (BronxTigger)
Jeff (JPL)
Melissa (mickey&missy) and John (husband)
Lisa (mouseketeer mom), Khloe (daughter) and Katie (daughter)
Kathy (TikiGoddess) and Julie (daughter)
Traci (tinkerbellybutton), Bruce (husband), Hailey (daughter), Keith (son), Carter (godson? grandson?) and Bryant (friend)
Grace (OhGee)
Bryan (Mackflava99), Donna (wife), Taylor and Mackenzie (twins)
Greg (grego77) and friend
Ashley (DisneyCouture), husband and mother

:mickey:

TikiGoddess
07-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Please add me and DD5 (Kathy and Julie).

We will meet you at the restaurant rather than at WoD, due to other plans (we're going to the Nat. Hist. museum in the morning and need all the time we can get). Jared, maybe you can call us when you start heading over to the restaurant?

Kathy

Jared
07-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Sounds good, Kathy. Check your e-mail. :)

:mickey:

smiles_rock
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
It looks like I'm not going to be able to make it next weekend, things are just too busy. Maybe next time, I was really hoping to meet you guys. Have fun!
Laurie

tinkerbellybutton
07-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey guys, Bruce and myself will be there with DD Hailey, DS Keith, DGS Carter and family friend Bryant. See you all soon!

Mackflava99
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
i will be there with my wife and twins-
(headcount 4)
Bryan
Donna
Twins- age 9 Taylor and Mackenzie

OhGee
07-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I'll be there! :)

BronxTigger
07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll be there! :)

Yay! I'll finally get to meet you outside the confines of (R.I.P.) VMK!

grego77
07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Plans have held, and I am elated to report that I will be there for the meet Sunday at noon, most likely with a friend...so for headcount purposes, it's a sexy number (2). :cool:

Kathy, I can call you before we leave for the restaurant. PM me your cell #. Looking forward to meeting/seeing you all again! :party:

Jared
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Greg, I have added you to the list. I have Kathy's number.

DisneyCouture
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Jared. We will be there. Myself (Ashley), DH and Mom.So that makes 3. :mickey:

Jared
07-16-2008, 08:07 AM
We have a quite a group scheduled to come! It's going to be a great afternoon.

:mickey: :thumbsup:

Mackflava99
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Are you sure you dont have to let heartland brewery at least know they will get a monster crowd?

DisneyCouture
07-16-2008, 09:41 AM
I know that there may be no such of a thing, but does anyone know where there is cheaper parking? When I usually go to NY I park downtown and since we are going Mid town I have no clue. Any help would be so much appreciated. :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Also, should we plan on paying cash for our lunches, or will Heartland do seperate checks??
Thanks!

Jared
07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Are you sure you dont have to let heartland brewery at least know they will get a monster crowd?
Bryan, since this is the largest crowd we have ever had, I am going to call the restaurant today to make sure it can accommodate us. I'm so happy we have so many people coming, and I don't want to face any problems Sunday.

grego77
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Also, should we plan on paying cash for our lunches, or will Heartland do seperate checks??
Thanks!
Heartland will usually do separate checks, as far as I know (they did for our group in January...yet that was a group of around 9...this group will most likely be over 20). I would prepare for all situations. I will be bringing a good amount of cash AND my plastic. ;)

tinkerbellybutton
07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
OK, So this is really off topic but do any of you natives know what the odds would be of getting into the statue of liberty before the meet? I think we're going to stay at a hotel in Stamford and take the train in in the morning.

Jared
07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks!
Heartland Brewery has graciously provided separate checks in the past, but we never had a group this large. I expect they will be able to, but bring cash in case, if possible.

I think the Statue of Liberty is worth more than a short morning visit. I spent an entire afternoon there a few years ago.

BronxTigger
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I know that there may be no such of a thing, but does anyone know where there is cheaper parking? When I usually go to NY I park downtown and since we are going Mid town I have no clue. Any help would be so much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Well, you could still park downtown in your usual spot and take the train uptown to the WOD. It's $2/person each way. Or, you can get a one day "fun pass" for $7 or 8 per person and it allows you to ride the train as much as you want all day. (It can't be shared though...once you use it at a station there is a 20-minute block on using it again at the same place.)

WOD is at 55th and 5th. We will walk to the restaurant from there. I've checked the website for service changes for the weekend and so far don't see any that affect these directions.

SUBWAY DIRECTIONS FOR WOD

You can take the N/R (YELLOW) to 5 Av/59 St stop and walk down 4 blocks (5th Ave traffic goes down-look at them to see what direction to walk.)

You can take the 4/5/6 (GREEN) to 59 St. You will need to walk down 4 blocks and over (west) a few blocks to 5th. (The 4/5/6 is on Lexington, that traffic also goes down.)
*Use this if you have come into Grand Central (uptown)*

You can take the E (blue..but NOT the A or C) to 5 Av/53 St. and walk up 2 blocks. 5th Ave traffic goes down to walk opposite of them. *Use this if you have come in at the Bus Terminal on 42nd Street & 8th Ave (uptown)*

*If you have come in at Penn Station (34th/7th), take the 1/2/3 (RED) uptown one stop to Times Square (42nd St). Transfer to the N or R (uptown) and get off at 5/59 (see above)

OK, So this is really off topic but do any of you natives know what the odds would be of getting into the statue of liberty before the meet? I think we're going to stay at a hotel in Stamford and take the train in in the morning.

I don't advise this. The Statue of Liberty (SL) and Ellis Island (EI) are both free, but what you have to pay for is the ferry to get there. It's one fee to go to both SL and EI, and it's about $17 per person. To get on this ferry, you have to stand in a (LONG) line to buy tickets. Then, you have to stand in ANOTHER LONG line to get on the boat. There is airport-style security to go through, which slows down the line. Also, the boats only come every 15 or 30 minutes, so the line moves very slowly. Once you get on the boat, you ride to SL. You get off, look around, do your thing. (By the way...if you want to go into the SL, you have to get a special pass BEFORE you take the ferry....then stand on ANOTHER LONG line to go through MORE SECURITY and get in...last time we went we were on the 2nd boat of the day and that line (for people with special passes only) was AN HOUR long!) Then, you get on ANOTHER line to get on the ferry to EI (make sure you don't get on the boat to New Jersey!). Then, you get off and look around. Last time I went to EI we easily spent 2-3 hours there. Then (you guessed it!) you wait on ANOTHER line to get back on the ferry to NYC.

Both times I have gone, I really enjoyed it but both times we were on the first or second boat (lines are shortest at 6:30am!) and we still did not get back to Battery Park until after noon. (And to get to the meet, you still have to take the train from Battery Park up to midtown...about 30 minutes or so).

An alternative is to take the Staten Island Ferry (for free) from Battery Park over to Staten Island, then catch it back to NYC. You won't get to get off at either SL or EI, but I've heard you get good views of it. I've never done it but I know people who have.

mickey&missy
07-16-2008, 02:19 PM
WOW! We have a lot of people!! I'm so excited to meet everyone!!

Quick question, which Heartland Brewery are we going to? The one on 6th at 51st?

I ask because DH and I will be taking the Hampton Jitney instead of driving so I'm trying to plan my strategy!

Thanks!!

BronxTigger
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
WOW! We have a lot of people!! I'm so excited to meet everyone!!

Quick question, which Heartland Brewery are we going to? The one on 6th at 51st?

I ask because DH and I will be taking the Hampton Jitney instead of driving so I'm trying to plan my strategy!

Thanks!!

Yes....51st and 6th....but we are meeting at WOD at 55th and 5th at noon. I think the Hampton Jitney lets of on Lexington around 59th.

tinkerbellybutton
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't advise this. The Statue of Liberty (SL) and Ellis Island (EI) are both free, but what you have to pay for is the ferry to get there..

I think the Statue of Liberty is worth more than a short morning visit. I spent an entire afternoon there a few years ago.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I think we'll try to get to it on Sat. See you guys soon.

BTW, Greg do you still have my phone # in your phone. I'm pretty sure I've still got yours. Knowing me I'll get lost again like in MA :blush:

BronxTigger
07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I think we'll try to get to it on Sat. See you guys soon.

Definitely try to get there Saturday. It's totally worth doing but most people don't grasp the sheer amount of time it can take. The earlier you get there, the shorter the lines are and the better off you are. Also, they offer audio tours that I have found helpful, particularly at Ellis Island. It was only about $6 to use the little headphone thing.

kakn7294
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
OK, So this is really off topic but do any of you natives know what the odds would be of getting into the statue of liberty before the meet? I think we're going to stay at a hotel in Stamford and take the train in in the morning.We're doing a cruise with Circle Line Dowtown - they have both 30 and 60 min cruises for $21 - $25 and there are discounts available all over the internet. We're doing the 60 min Zephyr cruise on Sun at 7:30p. It doesn't go out to the island but it does go past plus we'll get to see the "Waterfalls" and various other sights along the way. PM me for the info if any of this gets deleted for violating Intercot policy (never quite sure what that is).

tinkerbellybutton
07-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks to all of you :hug: Those tours sound like an ideal thing, thanks..

mickey&missy
07-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes....51st and 6th....but we are meeting at WOD at 55th and 5th at noon. I think the Hampton Jitney lets of on Lexington around 59th.

Thanks Bethany!

This is a bit last minute but, because of the Hampton Jitney schedule DH and I will be getting into the city around. Any idea of shopping, sights etc around WOD for us to kill a little time?

When we went to the city in Nov we went to Radio City, Rockefeller Center and went to the top of the rock (I could have done without that)

TIA!!

One more day!

Jared
07-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I just sent everybody attending a Private Message with my cell phone number. Please don't hesitate to call for any reason.

See you tomorrow!

BronxTigger
07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Bethany!

This is a bit last minute but, because of the Hampton Jitney schedule DH and I will be getting into the city around. Any idea of shopping, sights etc around WOD for us to kill a little time?

When we went to the city in Nov we went to Radio City, Rockefeller Center and went to the top of the rock (I could have done without that)

TIA!!

One more day!

You're welcome!

What time are you getting into the city?

Near WOD is the south end of Central Park, which would be nice except for the weather - it's going to be mid-90s and humid tomorrow. Plus, the air here is visibly brown; we're on a smog alert and I can feel my throat burning when I go outside...so maybe no park!

You could go to the Apple Store and FAO Schwartz, along with other stores that line 5th Avenue (and Madison Ave, and Lexington Ave, etc).

Um...you could go to Times Square, but walking there from the 50s and over to Broadway sounds awful in this weather.

You could take the train down to 34th to Macy's.

Honestly, with the weather as gross as it is I think I'd just window shop...or go get iced coffee or ice cream or something.

mickey&missy
07-19-2008, 12:31 PM
You're welcome!

What time are you getting into the city?

Near WOD is the south end of Central Park, which would be nice except for the weather - it's going to be mid-90s and humid tomorrow. Plus, the air here is visibly brown; we're on a smog alert and I can feel my throat burning when I go outside...so maybe no park!

You could go to the Apple Store and FAO Schwartz, along with other stores that line 5th Avenue (and Madison Ave, and Lexington Ave, etc).

Um...you could go to Times Square, but walking there from the 50s and over to Broadway sounds awful in this weather.

You could take the train down to 34th to Macy's.

Honestly, with the weather as gross as it is I think I'd just window shop...or go get iced coffee or ice cream or something.

We're gonna get in at around 10, the stop is on3rd at 51st LOL! I told DH we have 2 hours to walk 4 blocks! I had thought about trekking up to the park but not in this heat! We'll most likely window shop and try not to melt!

mouseketeer mom
07-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Thinking of taking the train in from Jersey...It gets to Penn Station at 11:38..does that give me enough time to taxi it to WOD? I know I'm cutting it close, but am hoping not to rush my kiddos out tomorrow am.

Jared
07-19-2008, 03:30 PM
That's fine! You should make it to the store by noon, but if you don't, it's not a big deal. We'll be there for at least an hour. Take the later train! It'll be hot tomorrow, and there's no reason to wake your kids up super early unless you have something else to do.

mouseketeer mom
07-19-2008, 03:37 PM
ok- good! Thanks!

ElenitaB
07-19-2008, 03:39 PM
We might be arriving a bit early as well, so you might be able to find us at the nearest Starbucks or just a few blocks down Fifth at St. Pat's.

BronxTigger
07-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I'll probably get to midtown shortly after 11.

mouseketeer mom
07-19-2008, 04:09 PM
OK...I might be a last minute arrival, but thats ok if you think you will be in the WOD store for a bit. I'll find you there! Lisa

BronxTigger
07-19-2008, 04:39 PM
OK...I might be a last minute arrival, but thats ok if you think you will be in the WOD store for a bit. I'll find you there! Lisa

WOD is 3 floors. I'm sure a group of Disney fans can find something to look at for a little bit. :D

mouseketeer mom
07-19-2008, 05:11 PM
You're not kidding! Maybe its good I'll be last minute..I'm sure I could spend all of my souvenier money at the WOD store, and have none left for my August trip to the world! HA!:)

Alligirl
07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
I am so sad that I had to miss the meet:( but I was thinking of you! I hope you all had a great time and I really hope that you will be posting some pictures!!:D

Allison

Jared
07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
I am so sad that I had to miss the meet:( but I was thinking of you! I hope you all had a great time and I really hope that you will be posting some pictures!!:D

Allison
Sorry you weren't there. We really had a great time!

Mackflava99
07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Jared- thanks for setting this up-
I had a very good time, and my kids were very excited to finally get to see World of Disney.

Bryan

OhGee
07-21-2008, 09:21 AM
It was so nice to meet everyone yesterday! I had such a great time on my first meet. :) Thank you Jared for organizing this. I am looking forward to next one. :mickey:

TikiGoddess
07-21-2008, 09:23 AM
It was so nice to meet new fellow I'cotees and see old friends! Jared, thanks for walking us to the train station. Your parents raised you right, you are a true gentleman!

Kathy

mouseketeer mom
07-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for arranging the meet! It was so nice to put some new faces to names! The table was loooong..and I didn't get to talk to as many people as I would have liked, but I was happy to meet everyone and spend the time that we did. Thanks!:mickey:

mickey&missy
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
It was a really great time! It was so nice to meet everyone!

Jared
07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for arranging the meet! It was so nice to put some new faces to names! The table was loooong..and I didn't get to talk to as many people as I would have liked, but I was happy to meet everyone and spend the time that we did. Thanks!:mickey:
Unfortunately, this is a common problem, especially with such a large group. We have tried several arrangements, but none seem to fully alleviate the issue.

At the next meet, we'll have to play musical chairs to allow everyone to talk.

Thanks to everyone for coming, though. I had a great time, and I hope everybody else did, too. It sure was difficult to organize, but everything worked out well.

JPL
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks Jared :thumbsup:

It was a fun but expensive day :blush:

kakn7294
07-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Sounds like you guys all had a great time. I'm sorry we had to miss it since it was scheduled at the same time as our game, but we did have an awesome time at the Yankee Stadium. mouseketeer mom, I'll see you at WDW in August! Bethany, perhaps someday I'll make it back to NYC and we can catch each other then.

tinkerbellybutton
07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi everyone, I'm so sorry that I didn't make it. Carter ended up in the hospital. I had no way to get in touch from there so if I cause any inconvenience I am soooooo sorry. I hope you all had a great time hope to see you at the next one.

Jared
07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Traci, Ellen knew you would not be there, so we were not surprised. I'm so sorry to learn about your situation, though. I hope things improve, and we see you at the next meet.