PDA

View Full Version : Liquor and having to pay adult prices for children?

McGoofy
06-06-2008, 05:45 AM
This thought just occurred to me now that my child just turned 10. He is now considered "adult" for the DDP. (We just went there last week and he used his last child's DDP.:() At Hoop Dee Doo and some other dinner shows it is all you can drink liquor. Why does Disney make children over 10 years old pay the same price for dinner that includes all you can drink liquor? Shouldn't there be a junior price since we KNOW that a 10 year old will not be imbibing at these dinners? (He hardly eats an adult portion or takes 3 sips of a soda, much less will he be drinking alcoholic beverages!! Besides the fact that it is illegal!!)

Natazu
06-06-2008, 07:11 AM
I agree, it's a lousy way to prevent cost overrun. There should be a pricing tier for those to young to drink.
I do have to say that I was really interested to see what this thread was about when I read the title.

Speedy1998
06-06-2008, 07:32 AM
The thing is I know alot of ten year olds boys that can eat more than an adult. By time I was ten I was eating all of my adult meals plus whatever my mother did not eat. I was never over weight, I was just very active, and growing fast.

bicker
06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
However, this is only the case at that venue, HDD. It is among the only options (the only option?) that includes the cost of alcoholic beverages. For the rest, that difference does
not exist.

This is a good argument for not offering the HDD as part of the Dining Plan, though, so Shhhhhh!!!!! :)

McGoofy
06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
However, this is only the case at that venue, HDD. It is among the only options (the only option?) that includes the cost of alcoholic beverages. For the rest, that difference does
not exist.

This is a good argument for not offering the HDD as part of the Dining Plan, though, so Shhhhhh!!!!! :)

No, Disney is already on to the fact that you get more for your money, so they do charge 2TS credits to do the dinner shows. HDD, Spirit of Aloha, and Mickey's Backyard BBQ are all unlimited beer and wine as well as 2TS. If you were paying outright cash without the TS, you will still have to pay a full adult price for those 10 and up. I know liquor can be expensive and I just think they should charge some sort of "junior" price for those that obviously will not be drinking alcohol.

PirateLover
06-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I do have to say that I was really interested to see what this thread was about when I read the title.
Haha, me too! But yes, I think you have a point. If legally are not able to enjoy all the benefits, then the cost should be a bit lower, regardless of how much they can eat.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I am sure that there is a "junior" price for Hoop-Dee-Doo, but it doesn't affect how many credits are needed on the dining plan.

When we got our HDD tickets from the resort in May, DD (10) was listed as a junior. The price difference from adult to junior was small, and it still took 2 DDP credits, but if you're paying OOP I guess there might be a difference.

I'll pull up the receipt, if we still have it tonight and confirm.

TheRustyScupper
06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
. . . Why does Disney make children over 10 years old pay the same price for dinner that includes all you can drink liquor? Shouldn't there be a junior price since we KNOW that a 10 year old will not be imbibing at these dinners? . . .

1) Simple.
2) Because they can.
3) There is no "junior" price tickets to HDDR.
. . . some kids eat more than adults
. . . some adults don't drink, so this is not an argument
. . . they would lose revenue to change teens differently

NOTE: It is a poor choice, financially, for the use of two coupons for HDDR.

Maleficent's Dad
06-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I am sure that there is a "junior" price for Hoop-Dee-Doo, but it doesn't affect how many credits are needed on the dining plan.
There is definitely not a "junior" price. Children 10 and older pay the same as adults - right now $59.99 for category 1 seating. :(

As far as the "why does Disney do this?"
Check out TheRustyScupper's response above...

Rodders
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I would say that it depends heavily on what you are likely to order. For our TS meals on our upcoming trip I worked out that Hoop De Do was one of the best buys for using 2 credits for whilst CRT, Cali Gril and Artist point were the worst. I accept your point about someone in this bracket but I really can't imagine Disney changing the system for this.

Kairi_7378
06-06-2008, 11:25 AM
It's not just Disney that does this unfortunately. When I planned my wedding, all of the venues we looked at charged a 12 and under price and a 13 and over price. The 13 year olds got to eat the regular meal (ie, not chicken fingers) but we had to pay for those between 13 and 20 to drink, which was annoying. My 17 year old brother later "confessed" to me that he had had 2 beers at my reception... and as surprised as I was about this I had indeed paid for him to drink.

While I do agree that the dinner shows should have a young adult price, I doubt that Disney will ever do this. We keep hearing posts about HDDR being sold out 180 days in advance, so what incentive is there to changes this for them?

Also, along these lines... There are many adults who don't drink for medical or personal reasons. They also have to pay for unlimited alcohol at these shows.

r4kids
06-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I would like to see junior pricing on the DDP and park tickets. Maybe a 10-14 age range. DD 13 and DS 10 may or may not eat a full adult meal. The adult menu with a smaller portion is ideal. I hate to see kids stuffing themselves on food that would otherwise be wasted. Large portions are part of the epidemic facing overweight kids/adults. But that is a whole other discussion. DS 10 would eat his entire meal just to prove he could and should be considered an adult anywhere we eat :(.

KylesMom
06-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I'll be honest, I'd never thought about it until you brought it up. While I so totally agree about having junior pricing for dinner shows and such, especially when they include alcohol, I think that park tickets for 10+ are in line since at that age most kids can ride everything in the park.

We did HDD once while staying at FW when DS was still considered a child, and the show just wasn't for us. We contemplated a few other Disney dinner shows this trip (Luau, Backyard bbq) but decided that for $180+ we could go to dinner at LeCellier twice for about the same price. :D :mickey:

bicker
06-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I would like to see junior pricing on the DDP and park tickets. Maybe a 10-14 age range. DD 13 and DS 10 may or may not eat a full adult meal. The adult menu with a smaller portion is ideal.So instead of $38 per day, juniors would pay $34.50 per day, for TS portions one half the size of regular portions. (No seconds, of course. Still hungry? Have some dessert.) Would that satisfy you?

Park ticket price reductions make no sense AFAIC; our DN10 will enjoy more attractions than anyone else in our party this November. Instead, I would like to see lower admission prices for adults, as compared to children.

I guess neither of us will get what we want in that regard, eh? :)

iceicebritney
06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, and lets talk about that "liquor" they serve at the dinner shows! The drinks we were served at the Spirit of Aloha were they good :D

And I love that they come in Monkey heads!

crazeedizneefinatic
06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I guess they charge to make things uncomplicated on their end. My husband and I do not drink and we would have to pay for it. I have also attended dinner shows in the orlando area and other places that offered beer and wine as well as pop and there were not different prices there. Those of us that do not drink make up cost wise for the people who may have 3-4. I don't mind, after all it' s my choice not to drink and certainly kids would not be served. Some kids do eat as adults (wish mine would, lol) and some don't but all part of making it easy, again, those kids that don't eat make up for the kids that do, it all evens out. Could you imgaine trying to make adr's if tiered! YIKES! Yes, this one does, no this one doesn't...ect, ect. Can you imagine the hassle on the poor servers end, who paid for this who paid for that. I don't feel like I am getting ripped off, even if my son was considered an adult which is just a few years off. I have no problems with paying for my son once he turns 10. We already went through the over 3 ticket prices, we will just have to plan a little extra money. If alcohol was the only drink of choice than maybe paying for it would be crazy and wasteful but other non alcoholic choices are available.

r4kids
06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
So instead of $38 per day, juniors would pay $34.50 per day, for TS portions one half the size of regular portions. (No seconds, of course. Still hungry? Have some dessert.) Would that satisfy you?

Park ticket price reductions make no sense AFAIC; our DN10 will enjoy more attractions than anyone else in our party this November. Instead, I would like to see lower admission prices for adults, as compared to children.

I guess neither of us will get what we want in that regard, eh? :)

I would rather see more like a $23.99 type price. Between the 10.99 kids and 37.99 adult. Or raise the age limit to 13 to be a junior. Many adults can't eat that much plus dessert. I like the idea of a reduced rate on the tickets for adults though. Ah but that too shall never come to be since we have to bring them. Most other restaurants have a 12 and over policiy. Why a 10 year old as an adult? It is one thing that really bugs me.

McGoofy
06-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I understand that some 10 year olds could possibly eat twice as much as I do. I guess I really wasn't talking about the food as much as knowing that I am paying for my 10 year to drink alcohol if we pay for an adult dinner show ticket. That's what bothers me. I don't think it would make things complicated on the servers end. No more complicated than it is now with scanning your room key card and deducting child and adult table credits.

bicker
06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I would rather see more like a $23.99 type price.There is no restaurant math that gets you from $38 to $24 for that age range. The cost of food ingredients for the TS portion of the $38 is $7.20. So basically no food on the plate whatsoever would get you down to $31 per day -- not a good value, no one would buy it. :)

Remember, they do the 3-9 year old discount as a loss-leader. They have no need to do that for older children, nor would it be responsible for them to do so.

Maybe you could get a double or triple portion of chicken nuggets or frankfurters for juniors at the $24 price point, but not real food (and still no hamburgers) that children would tend to be wanting by that age.

Again, not something to be happy about; just a matter of what's realistic to expect.

r4kids
06-06-2008, 10:55 PM
There is no restaurant math that gets you from $38 to $24 for that age range. The cost of food ingredients for the TS portion of the $38 is $7.20. So basically no food on the plate whatsoever would get you down to $31 per day -- not a good value, no one would buy it. :)

Remember, they do the 3-9 year old discount as a loss-leader. They have no need to do that for older children, nor would it be responsible for them to do so.

Maybe you could get a double or triple portion of chicken nuggets or frankfurters for juniors at the $24 price point, but not real food (and still no hamburgers) that children would tend to be wanting by that age.

Again, not something to be happy about; just a matter of what's realistic to expect.

:thumbsup: Right on you clearly have put in way more thought than I did :)