PDA

View Full Version : Tips for loud attractions?

Young@Heart
06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Last trip, we made the mistake of bringing DD to Mickey's Philharmagic first. She liked it, but it was way too loud for her. We had this same problem a few other times during our trip. This time, we're trying to think of a way to muffle the noise for her. I thought about earmuffs, but I'm not sure if they'd work. Has anyone seen little kids wearing earmuffs in attractions? I know DD won't wear earplugs. Is there anything else that might help drown out some of the noises? TIA!

wdwfansince75
06-06-2008, 08:55 AM
We are going this year with a dear friend who wears hearing aids. We have looked into the Assistive Listening Devices, which are similar to earlier versions of the walkman. See http://allearsnet.com/pl/listen.htm

They have earphones and a volume control. Not sure if they can be made to fit a small child. For the attractions which support the ALD, I think they would allow you to control the amount of sound your child receives. There are also the foam padded headphones for Ipods, ect, which could fit a child and filter some of the sound.

MsMin
06-06-2008, 09:58 AM
How old is she? I would suggest making it a little magical :magic: I don't know if Disney would lend out the ALD's for a child who can hear b/c they may be limited. They may fear that if she accidentally turns it own she could damage her hearing.
Have you thought of colored cotton and tell her it's Minnie's ear puff's or Tink's pixie puffs? Kids usually love things that are related to characters.
My own dd can't stand the feel of cotton so that wouldn't work for her but ear plugs or cotton is less cumbersome than headphones. If you can't talk her into that then try some colored ear phones but as mentioned the smaller ones.
It just may be how you sell it ;)

Gottaluvgoof
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't really have any suggestions except holding her ears. My kids never really complained of the noise but I know on BTM, when you are going up the hill indoors, that noise is excruciating to me. I have to hold my ears every time.

pookiebear38
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
It may sound crazy, but in the hunting sections of some stores, they sell the foam earplugs that you squish and it fits in your ear. They feel funny, but they work! When my DD was younger, we carried them everywhere! Even now, she likes to use them when we see fireworks!