PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Started?

IMeagineer
06-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi There,

I am thirteen years old and I went to WDW for the first time 2 years ago. After going to WDW, I got really interested in Walt Disney Imagineering. Since then I have read books, and visited websites about Imagineering, just trying to learn as much as I can. I really want to become an Imagineer. I know it may sound silly but I never felt so sure about anything in my entire life! I was just wondering if anybody knows where to start. Do you know how to contact WDI? What classes should I take in high school? What books should I read, what colleges should I look out for in the future, etc.

Please help me! I just don't know where to start on the long road to becoming an Imagineeer. :mickey:

Thanks,
IMeagineer (Meaghan):cool:

2Epcot
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi There,

I am thirteen years old and I went to WDW for the first time 2 years ago. After going to WDW, I got really interested in Walt Disney Imagineering.

Please help me! I just don't know where to start on the long road to becoming an Imagineeer. :mickey:
:

:welcome: Meaghan to Intercot!

I know exactly how you feel Meaghan. I've been a Disney fan most of my life, but especially so after my first trip to WDW. There are those who know more about this then I do (even an Imagineer or two who read these boards).

Many Imagineers have a speciality in something ...it could be engineering, design, construction, art, film, but are also skilled and knowledgable about many other things as well. I would say the first thing is finding something your passionate in, and become the best at it, never stop learning and expanding your knowledge ... That might be the easy part. Imagineering isn't the easiest job to get at Disney, but that doesn't mean it is impossible. :mickey:

IMeagineer
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you so much for replying Chris :)

That is a great idea. I will try to explore those topics more thoroughly and find my strength.

~Meaghan:mickey:

mjstaceyuofm
06-06-2008, 11:18 AM
A good friend of mine was an imagineer for a while. We went to Michigan together where he got a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He graduated and went on to get his masters degree in MechE from MIT. He bounced around on a few jobs after that and ended up working at WDI's office on Boston for 2 years before it closed down.

In restrospect, I think what made him such a good imagineer was the fact that he was a) smart, b) passionate, and c) very creative. The bottom line in life is that you have to have a skill and be able to bring value to anything you do - work included. Couple that with passion and you'll go places.

brownie
06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
You might find the two part article titled "So You Want to Be an Imagineer?" helpful. It appeared in Disney Magazine in the Fall 1995 (pp. 38-40) and Winter 1995 (pp. 46-49) issues. I ran some searches and haven't found this article online yet. You might check with your local libraries to see if they have past issues of the Disney Magazine. I was able to get a copy of the articles from Disney Magazine before it was shut down; you might have some luck contacting Disney Publishing.

You can also find some Imagineering tidbits on Disney DXD on the Disney website (like Gears Behind the Ears.)

From the things I have read, it helps to have interests and knowledge in more than one area. Doing well in school and receiving a well-rounded education before college would probably be a good start. Good luck to you!

Sharon1026
06-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Meaghan - wow great choice!
I think first you need to decide what sort of aspect you are interested in - is the engineering side, or the art side?

If it's the engineering side, you need to go to a top notch engineering school, like the University of Michigan, (thanks Matt for sharing the story about your friend). Honestly, Disney can afford to be very picky, so going to a second rate school isn't going to cut it.

You can also try and get an intership at Disney. Most Disney internships have to do with food service, etc. But check out their website for some ideas.

Remember, Disney isn't the only theme park out there (I know you are aghast that I have written this). Another option might be to get experience at other types of theme parks - 6 flags, universal, Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, etc. that would be applicable to getting into Disney. Call them and see what sorts of backgrounds their versions of imagineers have.

Don't be afraid to call Disney directly and ask to speak to an Imagineer and see what they did to get where they are at. Most adults are happy to coach kids and give advice.

Best of luck, and keep us informed.

EpcotRescueRanger
06-10-2008, 04:02 PM
While in college I would suggest you to do the Walt Disney World College Program. Even though you won't be working with Imagineering you will be spending a semester at WDW and it will give you the chance to do "meet-and-greets" with someone from Imagineering. You can also attend many activities exclusive for CP's that includes guest speakers, most of them Parks Execs. Once you complete a semester of the CP you can apply for a Professional Internship in the area of your major. I will always remember what my recruiter said "at Disney is not about who you know, its about who knows you".

You can go to disneycareers.com for more info and disneycollegeprogram.com

yo ho yo ho
06-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't know if you've seen it yet or not, but there's a thread in the archives that's pretty informative. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. :mickey:

"So, you think you're ready to be an Imagineer for real?"

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=49419

IMeagineer
06-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply--

THANK YOU all so much for your responses! They are very helpful. I got a book on Imagineering and I found the article you were talking about, (Thanks brownie). I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks again,
Meaghan