PDA

View Full Version : An evening at a resort...

SFTrny
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
We are staying at FW on our next trip, but are thinking about spending an evening after dinner at one of the other resorts for drinks, etc. Boardwalk, Grand Floridian, and Polynesian are at the top of our list right now. Any ideas or suggestions of where to spend a nice evening? What is there to do and see?

Is there a good place to watch fireworks from at any of these? What else is fun to do at night?

minniemoomoo
06-05-2008, 07:53 PM
You can have ice cream on the Boardwalk. They also have a great bakery for coffee and yummies. You can see much of the fireworks from the Boardwalk. Also if you walk all the way to the back at the International Gateway, you can get very close to the fireworks. There are benches and everything to sit and enjoy the music and enjoy the evening, without ever entering the Epcot. A very nice quiet place to be. Take me there now. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
06-05-2008, 09:36 PM
My first choice would be Mizners at the Grand Floridian. It's in the main building and the GF Orchestra plays Disney classics right outside on the balcony.

FiggyFan
06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I would also suggest the Boardwalk area. All of the action is outside of the resort on the boards. There are many choices for dinner - if the weather is nice, Big River Grill & Brewing Works has outdoor tables. Spoodles (Mediterranean seafood) and Flying Fish Cafe are both very good. If neither of these strike you, there are plenty of other choices in the four nearby resorts (Dolpin, Swan, YC, and BC), plus the ESPN Club. By all means, save room for dessert and stop at Seashore Sweets for ice cream.

If you want to see the fireworks without the crowds of Epcot, get your ice cream at about 8:40 and stroll away from Epcot to the end of the boardwalk, circle behind the Dance Hall, and stop on the bridge towards the Yacht Club. From here you will have a panoramic view of the resort lake and a good view of the fireworks. Hearing the fireworks echo off of the Dolphin resort behind you as you watch adds to the atmosphere.

If you are looking for a late night "on the town", you can also check out the Dance Hall (Atlantic Dance) or the piano bar (Jellyrolls).

Of course, I have to mention the live entertainment on the boardwalk - music, magic, jugglers, and acrobats all draw a crowd. And did I mention the carnival games and surry bikes ...

As you can tell, there is plenty to do and see. It is a great place to spend an evening.

Lightning McQueen
06-06-2008, 12:54 AM
You can't go wrong with the Poly. O'Hana is our favorite restaurant on property and we love finding a spot on the beach to watch Wishes.

TammiMcMan
06-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Maybe I was reading your post wrong, are you looking for someplace to have dinner, or a resort that you can enjoy a drink at later in the evening?

I said my first choice is the GF for that and listening to the orchestra. I'm not sure if you're allowed up to the California Grill at the CR for just drinks, but that would be my second choice. The view is absolutely incredible.

Von-Drake
06-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Unless I was staying at one of the monorail resorts, I would probably like to spend an evening at the Boardwalk. Lots to choose from beaches to bars, to ice cream, etc... Of course I will always like the Poly or Outer Rim at the Contemporary.

SFTrny
06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks all! We are staying at FW, and we like to have dinner in the cabin and then head out for the evening after recharging. Last trip, one of our favorite nights was when we parked at the Boardwalk and walked into Epcot through the International Gateway. We got coffee and croissants in France and enjoyed the late night stroll without the rush of crowds or feeling like we had to go on any rides.

lawgirl
06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
One time we decided to watch the MK fireworks from the beach at the Poly. We grabbed a hammock, and just enjoyed the waves and sand, and then were amazed by the fireworks. It was really nice.

We also love love love the AKL at night. To me, its the most magical of all the resorts. It has such a mysterious aura about it. One of the best nights we had was dining at Jiko's (the best restaurant in WDW!!!), and then walked around the lobby and outside to the firepit. It was really a night to remember!

iadarolas
06-06-2008, 07:00 PM
My recommendation would be The Boardwalk area too! There is entertainment everynight whether it be a magician or comedian., etc.. Plenty of places for a snack or cocktail and you can walk over to the Yacht and Beach Club and get an icecream sundae. That whole area is beautiful! You can see the fireworks from Epcot too at night. Great atmosphere!:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-06-2008, 09:52 PM
I think Figgyfan summed it up perfectly. I too vote for the Boardwalk. We usually stay at the Dolphin and love the atmosphere in that area. It can be as much or as little as you want it to be.

SFTrny
06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Is there a schedule for perfromers on the Boardwalk? I've been there sometimes when there are several...and other times when there are none. What are the best timesto catch the street performers?

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2008, 01:05 PM
We love spending the evening at the Poly. We try to make our Ohana ADRs at a time that we can either be eating during Wishes or finished eating right before Wishes. It is great to be able to watch the EWP and then wishes from your table as you finish off your dessert. We've been lucky enough to do this twice. On other occasions we've enjoyed heading to the beach after our meal and watching both from the beach. The boardwalk is another good place to spend an evening. We enjoy walking the big circle pasted Epcot, BC and YC. Last time we stumbled upon a beach side movie being played at BC. Have fun with whatever you choose to do!

KayDee
06-07-2008, 01:22 PM
All the posts above sound great. We want to try them out on our next vacation in Sept. Here is another option we thought of. You could go to POR and take a beautiful night time carriage ride around POR/FQ (costs money). The landscaping is beautiful and some how even more magical at night. After the carriage ride you can go to the lounge at POR and enjoy Piano Bob (doesn't play all nights so should find out schedule) and some appetizers. Piano Bob is great entertainment. You can get involved or just sit back and watch others. Then after enjoying Piano Bob you can hop on a boat to DTD. This is also very magical at night.