PDA

View Full Version : US Amusement Park Maps for handheld GPS

caryrae
06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I was just looking around for a handheld GPS and noticed Magellan has these new maps you can download for a price of amusement parks in the US including WDW and DL. You can see some screenshots if you go to the magellangps website, go under products, click maps and software, and you will see the amusement parks maps listed. looks pretty neat.

StoneMaps - Amusement Park Maps - U.S.
Get the most out of your vacation at popular U.S. amusement parks with StoneMaps, Amusement Park Maps!

Your Magellan GPS will display the amusement park map and show you exactly where you are. You can easily find the entrances of all the rides and attractions. See the kid's favorite Characters at their designated greeting and photo spots. Locate public restrooms; even those not found on printed maps. Parking, first-aid, ticket booths, transportation boarding and much more, are all found in StoneMaps, Amusement Park Maps on your Magellan GPS.

Choose from two downloadable amusement park areas:

California

Disneyland
Disney's California Adventure
Universal Studios Hollywood
Knotts Berry Farm
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Great America

Florida

Walt Disney World Orlando - Including:
Epcot Center
Animal Kingdom
Magic Kingdom
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Universal Studios Orlando
Universal's Islands of Adventure
Sea World Orlando

PLUS Special bonus map of:

Walt Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground

Hull-onian
06-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Wow! That's really cool.:cool:

CanadianWDWFan
06-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I see that it is for both Garmin and Magellan units. Sure does offer quite a bit of detain to the parks.

Prices aren't too bad either.

caryrae
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I see that it is for both Garmin and Magellan units. Sure does offer quite a bit of detain to the parks.

Prices aren't too bad either.

I just looked and if you do a search for stonemaps it has better pics and info.

This Rino GPS sounds really cool. It's a walkie talkie and gps in one. So if you have more then one it can show you on the screen where the other people in your group is right on the screen.

Rino 520HCx GPS radios
The Rino GPS radios were the star of the trip for our family. The Rino GPS units have all the features of a high end FRS / GMRS radio so you can talk to each other walkie-talkie style. At first we were worried that with hundreds of people in the park, we would have a hard time finding a free channel. However, the Rino GPS units have 22 channels and 38 squelch codes for a whopping 836 different combinations. We picked a one combination and only once heard another person on our radio during the entire five days we were in the parks. The Rino GPS units are also waterproof, which is a feature that I have yet to see on another FRS radio. You will appreciate not worrying about water when you are on a wet ride like Grizzly River Rapids, or when it starts to rain. They also have a backlight for using at night.

Of course the Rinos also have a built in GPS receiver that can accept downloaded maps. With the StoneMaps “Park Hopper” Disneyland and California Adventure GPS map, we could see exactly where we were as we walked around the parks. The screen is in full color, the resolution is very high, and the images are crisp.

The most amazing feature of the Rino GPS units is the ability to not only see where you are, but also the location of others in your party. Garmin calls this “location polling” and here is how it works. You first set all the radios to the same channel and squelch code at the beginning of the day. Next, you broadcast on Radio 1 by pushing the talk button. All the other radios see that a Rino is broadcasting and each of the other radios ask if you want to add Radio 1 to your list of contacts. You do the same on Radio 2 and so on. Once all the radios are in each list of contacts, then any of the radios can "ping" any other radio and ask it where it is by pushing the page button. You can even give each radio a name and a unique icon. When you look at your map, you can see the name and icon displaying the last known location of that particular radio.

We have a six year old who is very independent, quiet, and likes to wander. We clipped a Rino to her as a virtual leash. I am glad we did. Twice during our five day trip she wandered off - once to follow Tigger and once to pick up "flower petals" after a performance. In both situations, we would not have been able to easily find her if she didn't have the GPS radio on. However, we simply hit the page button and saw exactly where she was. It only took us minutes to get back together instead of a couple of worried hours tracking her down.

My wife and I split up a number of times. I took the older kids and she took the younger ones back to our hotel for a nap. Every time we got back together, my wife was able to find us easily without having to ask us where we were.

Polynesian Dweller
06-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Quite an impressive assortment of maps. Would be very useful for first timers to any of the parks that they cover in the US and Europe.