PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth

Magic Smiles
06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Just sitting here at work looking at my Walt Disney World 2008 Calendar. June's photo is Spaceship Earth. Just wondering how much of the interior of the ball is actually used for the ride?

NOTE: The Epcot sign and Mickey's hand is in this photo.....I miss them.

Imagineer1981
06-05-2008, 11:55 AM
technically the ride track takes up most of the ball. In fact they wanted to replace the attraction with something new but found out that the ball is actually supported internally by the ride track, so thats why they went with a "refurbishment"

JPL
06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
If you look at this picture of construction you can see the ride track being built at the same time.

SpecJoe Magic
06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
The ascent track and scenes use the majority of the interior space as they wrap around the outer edges in a spiral. The descent track has very little room around it because it's surrounded by the ascent track and scenes. That's why the descent track had to be built at such a steep angle, and there have never been any large scenes in that area. The only portion of the interior that is not used is up near the very top of the ball, which you can see while in the outer space scene. The image of Earth is projected on the ceiling of the geosphere.

Magic Smiles
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
If you look at this picture of construction you can see the ride track being built at the same time.

I love seeing that photo! Thanks

Hull-onian
06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
The construction photo is great.:blush:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
I love seeing that photo! Thanks
I'll second that emotion! Thanks--neat!