PDA

View Full Version : How much undeveloped land is left?

caryrae
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I was just curious about how much of the 40ish square miles is left still on the WDW property that is undeveloped?

Capt. Sparrow
06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
On the way to the DCL from the Boardwalk a couple wks ago, I believe the DCL director who was on the motor coach with us said that there is enough under developed land within wdw to build another 2 theme parks.

caryrae
06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
I just read on Wikipedia that Disney world had as much as 47 square miles and now it's down to about 40 (25,000 acres).

At its peak, the resort occupied approximately 30,000 acres (120 km²) or 47 square miles (120 km²), about the size of San Francisco, or twice the size of Manhattan. Portions of the property since have been sold or de-annexed, including land now occupied by the Disney-built community of Celebration.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Given that they lost some land, I'd say about 50-60%. It was originally only 1/3 developed.

mickey&missy
06-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong :blush: but I thought there was a rule that a certain amount of the land had to remain undeveloped. I believe this goes back to the original planning days and that's what Walt wanted.

Shugoondola
06-05-2008, 12:17 PM
On the Keys to the Kingdom Tour a couple of years ago, our group was told that 1/3 of the land is now developed (this includes the parks, resorts, golf courses, etc.), 1/3 of the land is available to be developed, and 1/3 of the land will never be developed. So basically, what's built at WDW now could double.

:mickey:

caryrae
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Man I don't know if I could see Disney being able to handle WDW if it were double the size it is now, that would almost be to big even for Disney but who knows.

Shugoondola
06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Man I don't know if I could see Disney being able to handle WDW if it were double the size it is now, that would almost be to big even for Disney but who knows.

I hear you. We all kind of gasped when our guide said that! :eyes:

:mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
06-05-2008, 01:39 PM
The 1/3 that is never to be developed is allegedly going to be used as a wilderness preserve.

TinkRocks
06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
If you think guests are exhausted after exploring what's available now at WDW - can you imagine what it would be like if Disney doubled what's available??

Ian
06-05-2008, 02:01 PM
The old saw was that the resort was 1/3 developed, 1/3 was set aside for conservation reasons, and 1/3 was left for development.

I suspect, however, that with a lot of the recent sell-offs of land and new resort development (i.e. SSR, VAKL, etc.) that those numbers are significantly reduced.

Quite honestly, I suspect (and hope) that Disney won't do any more major theme park development in WDW ... at least nothing on the scale of MK/Epcot/DHS/AK.

My guess is you might see another water park go up at some point and maybe a boutique-y theme park or two (a la Discovery Cove or the mythical "Night Kingdom), but that'll be it.

I think they realize that they're just WAY too overextended as it is. I'll be very shocked if they significantly grow the resort at any point in the near-to-distant future.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
The old saw was that the resort was 1/3 developed, 1/3 was set aside for conservation reasons, and 1/3 was left for development.

I think they realize that they're just WAY too overextended as it is. I'll be very shocked if they significantly grow the resort at any point in the near-to-distant future.

Yep, that was the original break down. My figure included the 1/3 conservation (33%, leaving 20-30% for building.

And I agree 110% with Ian. I hope they never build another theme park here. At least not for a loooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggg time (meaning.....15-20+ years).

SFTrny
06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
WDW opened in 1971...I vaguely remember the hype as a child. In 37 years, it has expanded to include four theme parks, two water parks, and twenty-three themed resorts/hotels. I don't think that they are close to reaching their potential and I think that they are going to need more land. Or...find another site to replicate the scale and environment of WDW. I think that WDW has stayed true to Walt's vision and principals...but I don't think that he ever imagined how large this has become. I mean...really...what about Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris?

There is so much more to do....

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I think that WDW has stayed true to Walt's vision and principals...but I don't think that he ever imagined how large this has become. I mean...really...what about Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris?

There is so much more to do....

Really? I disagree. I think Disney has oversaturated the Orlando area and that they'd make a very bad business decision if they ever considered another theme park.

And in my opinion, WDW is nothing like what Walt wanted. It's a warped perversion of his ideas for a family theme park. He wanted a place where families could come and have fun together, without spending a fortune. It wasn't about the money...and now look at Disney - they are pure corporation in just looking for a buck.

Disneymom1995
06-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I love WDW - been five times and they are the best vacations we have ever had.
Wish they would develop a new park or increase the size of the other parks.
They keep building more hotels and vacation clubs. People staying on Disney Property want to go to a Disney Park and they are becoming way overcrowded. People with small children can't spend an hour or longer waiting in line for a ride. Even with the fast pass system you still have to wait at other rides.
Either provide a new park or additional rides or quit building hotels/vacation clubs. If guests have trouble getting into the parks they won't want to stay at a Disney Hotel.:mickey::mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Add another park and you'll see worse interactions from CM's.

Disney can't afford to build another park, and I don't mean financially. They don't have a way to maintain and hire 5000-10,000 new, additional CM's to staff it when they have a hard enough time with what they currently have.

Disney shouldn't build another park.

Disneymom1995
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
My point is that as long as Disney continues to build Hotels and Vacation Club accommodations
they need to have something for all these guests to do.
More hotels = more guests
More guests = overcrowded parks
If they do not want to increase the number of parks they need to stop adding hotel and vacation club accommodations. Otherwise they will max out their Park attractions - people who cannot get into the parks will not book rooms and soon they will have all these empty hotels.
This could become a vicious circle.
If a complete new park is not possible at least add some additional attractions.:mickey::mickey: