PDA

View Full Version : 5 in a room which WDR best?

gaffz70
06-05-2008, 08:36 AM
On our first trip to WDW my dh and 2 boys stayed at the WL and loved it. But we decided that we would love to try the Poly next as it seemed great to be right on the monorail. My Dad passed away this year and we want to invite my Mom to come to Disney with us....My ? is...would having 5 of us in a room at the Poly be uncomfortable, esp w/ 1 bath...or does anyone have any other suggestions -
thanx

disneydeb
06-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Contact Magical Journeys and see wht they say.

All I know is:
You could get 2 connecting rooms at a value or Moderate or 1 family suite at All-Star music.

You could spend double the $ and get connecting rooms at the Poly or inquire about suite with 2 bathrooms in a monorail resort.

Good Luck and Happy planning!

DisneyWhirled
06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I am sorry to hear about your dad. How nice of you to take your mom with you!

We are DVC members, so when we took my mom with us (which made party of 5), we booked a 1BR Villa, which only has one bathroom, but was roomy enough for all of us (my kids were 8 & 5).

You could also ask MJ to check into a 1 Br unit at any of the DVC resorts.

Tinkerfreak
06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
We stayed at the Poly last year in the Tokeleau building and we found the rooms to be pretty big. There were 2 adults and 2 kids ages 10 and 13. As far as sleeping there is a daybed that looked ok and with the larger room it should not be a problem. The problem I see is the bathroom situation. We were spent alot of time waiting for each other with just 4 of us. The problem is that unlike the AKL or some other resorts, the sinks are not separate from the shower & toilet. It is all in one room so if someone is in the shower or using the toilet nobody can be getting ready. At the AKL we can all continue getting ready while someone is in the shower because the sinks are separate. At the Poly I tried to do my makeup and hair while DD's were in the shower but the mirror kept steaming up and it was just a pain. I think if you don't mind value or moderate resorts it would be better to get 2 connecting rooms so you would have 2 bathrooms, 2 tv's and more beds.

Mousemates
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
As a previous poster mentioned, don't forget the daybed option, when we stayed at the contemporary this past January my DD 15 chose the day bed and said it was super comfortable...so that is an option (when you price it don't forget to add an extra person to your room thou). Also don't forget that if you go this route that you are splitting one bathroom between five people...thou with the "split facilities" at the CR, your family would be able to "multitask" :mickey: with showers, brushing teeth, etc...(not so much a problem with boys, but when my dd is doing her makeup thing it can tie up the bathroom for a painfully long time).

tikiman
06-05-2008, 10:05 AM
The day beds at the Polynesian and Contemporary are very comfortable. I am 6 foot and I could sleep on one. 5 in a room at the Polynesian or Contemporary would not be too crowded at all. The rooms are the largest standard rooms on property. Our Villa at the Boardwalk seemed smaller than the room at the Polynesian.

SBETigg
06-05-2008, 12:52 PM
You should have plenty of space. The rooms are large and fit five comfortably. There is only one bathroom, but it shouldn't be too bad and it's so nice to be on the monorail and that close to the MK. The Poly's location can't be beat.

But I would also throw in a suggestion to check out the Grand Floridian. At the GF, the sink area is separate from the bath area, making it easier for several people to get ready at once. Just specify that a dormer room won't work for you because you'll need the day bed. Both resorts are lovely with great restaurants, pools, lobby, shopping, and location.

bmj721
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
We're in a similar situation as gaffz70. My father-in-law passed away in Jan. and we, too, are bringing my mother-in-law to DW. We will have DH, 2 DS, 22yrs and 11 yrs, M-I-L, and myself. We have reserved ASMus suites, because of the kitchenette, two BR's, sleeping space for 6, and cost. This will be first for us for the suites, but we did a fair amount of research before deciding. We've had connecting rooms at POR 3 years ago and they were OK. We just wanted something different, especially with the kitchenette.
:thumbsup:

irish1967
06-05-2008, 10:15 PM
5 of our last 6 trips, my dad has stayed with us in a room at the Poly, CR or GF.

It worked out well but we definitely needed to talk through the bathroom schedule for the morning.

I am pretty low maintanence so it was 10-15 minutes for each adult in the morning. My DH shaved at night and then in the morning, the rest of us would get ready first and head down to get breakfast organized while my dad did his thing (he lives alone and appreciated the time in the room by himself) The boys shower at night so the bathroom time they need in the morning is minimal.

Dad always sleeps well in the daybed.

If you want to experience deluxe, the 5th person shouldn't stop you!

Tinkerfreak
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I also think it matters if you have boys or girls. I have 2 DD's, one 10 and the other 13. They both have long hair and even though they did not curl it and just did a ponytail it stil takes them a while to shower and the oldest one has to spend time on make-up. Boys seem to be able to get in and out in 5 minutes.