PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Trip Depression!

jrpersinger
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeap, its starting to hit me. It does around this time everytime. I plan all year and get so excited. Then when I get close to time to going (2 weeks to go!), I get depressed! Why?? Because I know how soon I will be there and that means that its that much closer to being over.

I really wished we lived closer. That way I could go whenever I wanted and not have to worry about having to wait a whole other year to go again. :(

DH says I have serious issues and I need to find a 12 step program for my obsession. lol

KineGirl
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
LOL

I go through something similar but its over my little furry faced baby - BugPie aka Buggie. He is like - NO! He IS my baby and I hate to leave him behind even though we have a great sitter.The fact that he is as attached to me as I am him doesnt help matters. I can hardly water the flowers without him watching me out the window! And when I come home from being out I get what we call "the third degree" around here - he comes running out and rubs all over and paws at me. I cant even think about him while we're gone or else :cry: Its also another reason I wont stay gone anywhere for longer than 5 or 6 nights! I keep as many pics of him (and my other kitties & doggie) on my Treo as my daughter :blush: Ive always loved animals but this one really got me somehow :shrug: I know Im a wierdo :blush:

mrsgaribaldi
06-05-2008, 06:44 AM
For me, the time before the trip is the best. I love being at work and knowing where I will be soon. I can get through anything at work just thinking of a Disney trip. I get sad when we're there because I know how fast it will be over.
And like Kinegirl, we don't go for more than 4 nights because of our fur babies too. I carry pics of them and I have pics in my Ipod. I also have a great person who looks after them. I know she loves them like her own. She even comes up and spends time with them. If I ever die in a plane crash, she's going to take them. But I still miss them when we're gone. When we get back I have a shadow for days and his name is Charlie:thumbsup:
But back on topic, jrpersinger, try not to be sad. Think about all the good things to come. I hope you have a great trip:mickey:

Ropachs
06-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Ditto for me...we're actually 5 months out and I mentioned to DH that I'm already thinking about how sad I'll be on our last day there, and first few days back home! We only go about every 3 years so I'm really quite depressed when it's over :(
Perhaps I should look at it as a LONG time to look forward to the next trip :)

DISNEYLOVERS5
06-05-2008, 08:13 AM
iT MUST BE SOMETHING IN THE AIR B/C I TOO HAVE BEENTHINKING ABOUT HOW FAST IT WOULD BE OVER AND YOU ARE RIGHT THAT IS VERY VERY DEPRESSING

BMan62
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
My depression comes, not from knowing the end is near, but rather from a (baseless) fear that it not going to be 'as special' this trip.

MsMin
06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Sounds like a little cognitive therapy is needed ;)
When I go about 2 weeks out I start to get a little anxious about the trip. As mentioned worrying about the furbabies and travel. While depression and anxiety are often mixed, I wonder if you are experiencing the anxiety as others have mentioned or a true sadness about the end of the trip?
I prolong my trip with scrap booking and post trip reports.
An easy "cure" for what you mention would be to delay the trip. That way you would never get there and you can happily stick to planning.... What?? no chance?
Focus on the glass 1/2 full and not half empty (all of you ;)) Every trip is unique and filled with special events.
I'm really bad about saving dessert because I want to enjoy it later only to forget about it and never eat it :(
One thing that can happen too is the negative thoughts start to snowball. A mild depression triggers the anxiety, the anxiety brings on the obsessive thoughts (negative ones like my poor furbabies, I hate flying, it's almost over etc.) These thoughts become more ingrained and it becomes part of your routine with your annual trip. So remember you are what you think! So my your great plans and anticipation be filled with :magic: and :pixie:

DisneyCouture
06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
DH says I have serious issues and I need to find a 12 step program for my obsession. lol

That is too funny that he says that. My friends say that about me all the time. I hope you start to feel better soon and look forward to your upcoming trip. I know what u are saying and I think a lot of ppl go through the same. Ms Min had some great advice:thumbsup:

jrpersinger
06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
You know, I love my dogs but I never really miss them when I am gone. I call to check on them every evening. Maybe its because we have a in house sitter for them, that is my SIL and I know they love her as much as us. But the big difference is, when we get home, my boy will ignore us for a good week. I don't know how my girl is going to act since we just got her in Nov.

I don't know why I get this way. I love going. I love being there. I just hate leaving. When people ask me why I love Disney so much, I can never explain it... I just do. From a baby, its always been that magical place that takes away all things bad... Then you have to leave and go back to the real world. Which, sometimes really blows.

BluewaterBrad
06-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow cant help you there! When 14 days out comes around I am bouncing off the walls!!:mickey:

Bringonthemouse!
06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeap, its starting to hit me. It does around this time everytime. I plan all year and get so excited. Then when I get close to time to going (2 weeks to go!), I get depressed! Why?? Because I know how soon I will be there and that means that its that much closer to being over.

I completely understand!!! It's nice to know I'm not the only one that thereapy is being suggested to!

PrincessSue
06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Interesting!
I thought I was the only one going through this. I am at the 44 day mark and I thought that I would be way more excited than I am.

I am hoping that when it gets closer I will be pumped up.
I should be now as this is my girls first trip and it's our 1st family trip!

Gottaluvgoof
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I go through this every year and I know exactly what you're talking about. I think part of the problem is, I spend the whole year gearing up for it. I spend gobs of time on Intercot, Disney.com, Youtube, etc, just getting ready. Then as it gets close, I start stressing over the flight, is everyone going to stay healthy :ill:, are the ones left behind (Believe it or not, some in my family are NOT Disney fanatics; oh the shame :confused:), going to be ok? I'm going to miss the 3 dogs and the cat, even though there are times they drive me nuts, and I daycare, so I miss the kids while I'm gone. I think it just all comes together and it's some sort of anxiety before I leave. The minute we land in Orlando though, I haven't a care in the world. I enjoy every minute and as much as I hate to leave at the end, I'm also excited to be going back home. I guess it's all part of the process. Crazy as it seems, at least I'm not the only one. Thanks to Intercot for group therapy. :D

darthmacho
06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I get what you are saying. It's actually a lot of work to prepare for a vacation, especially one with so many possibilities like WDW.

Every time I think of planning our next trip, I get more nervous that I'll screw something up!

Coach48
06-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I need to tell you people something,I don't get depressed until I've checked out and I'm on my way to the airport.The buildup to the trip is the greatest feeling in the world to me.I'm bouncing off the walls a month out.I'm just like the kids and the husband in the commercial.Too excited to sleep.Can't think about anything else.Planning the entire trip in my mind.The only thing I worry about even a little is the weather.The reason we are all here is because WDW is our favorite place on Earth.Live it up ! Enjoy the countdown.I know this place can affect people differently,and to each their own,but I save my depression for the plane ride home.

Tink#64
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I need to tell you people something,I don't get depressed until I've checked out and I'm on my way to the airport.The buildup to the trip is the greatest feeling in the world to me.I'm bouncing off the walls a month out.I'm just like the kids and the husband in the commercial.Too excited to sleep.Can't think about anything else.Planning the entire trip in my mind.The only thing I worry about even a little is the weather.The reason we are all here is because WDW is our favorite place on Earth.Live it up ! Enjoy the countdown.I know this place can affect people differently,and to each their own,but I save my depression for the plane ride home.

:ditto: The only difference with me is that the sad part starts the night before we leave WDW! I guess just knowing that it's our last evening & that tomorrow's our last day & wondering when we'll be coming back! We're weird, we say goodbye to MK & the Castle when we leave MK on our last day & goodbye to Pop when we head to the airport. It's always bittersweet. :sad:

DisneyFreak23
06-07-2008, 10:08 AM
yeah, im going through this at the moment. i leave monday, but all i can think abou tis if we'll have enough time to do all i want (never possible, but hey!) and yeah, i just am driving myself crazy.

Hurray Intercot Therapy!:mickey:

jrpersinger
06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
See, I knew I wasn't the only one! :blush:

This go around it probably going to be more difficult for me. We are going with friends who went for their first time last year and didn't enjoy it very much. They didn't ride -- well -- much of anything. In MK alone they got all of FantasyLand, then they road Stitch, Monsters Inc and thats about it. They didn't even see SpectroMagic! And I won't even get into what they missed in the other parks! They were there for a week too! They went with another couple who said they knew what they were doing, but they ended up overbooking them on meals and grand gatherings so they spent more time traveling to get to their ADRs then they did in the park. So now, the stress is on DH and I to show them a really great time. I really have no doubt we can do it. We know the parks and how to plan our time their extremely well. And I mean, it has to be better then their last time. They will ride everything! They will get in several TS/Character Meals! And they WILL see Spectromagic!

And..... exhale! :cool:

Young@Heart
06-08-2008, 01:09 AM
I know exactly how you feel. It doesn't really hit me until we're at WDW and only have a day or two left. Then it's hard to enjoy everything and not think about leaving soon. :(

I think I need the same program, but my DH would be right there next to me. :blush::secret:

AlliMo
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
If you think about something already being over with then you can never fully enjoy it when it's happening.