PDA

View Full Version : September vs. October - weather all that different?

Figment78
06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Hey everyone! We are planning a short trip to the world this fall just DH & I (added a baby this past March but he'll be staying with Grandma and Grandpa for this trip). The big debate is:

Mid/End September (Free Dining & cheaper room rates but potentially really hot & humid & maybe more crowded)

Early/Mid October (possibly cooler weather & lower crowds but more expensive room rates & OOP food expenses)

We've been during the food & wine festival before and it doesn't make that much difference to us if we are there for it or not, so that's not really a factor. We would also avoid the Columbus day holiday if we went in Oct.

The main question is:
Is the POTENTIAL for cooler weather worth an extra $300-$500 (I calculated that with and without a possible AP discount)? Is there really a $300-$500 worth of temperature difference between the two?

We have been in October and had it be REALLY hot and we've been there in October when it was cool and rainy. I'm leaning towards the certainty of saving money over the uncertainty of cooler weather.

Intercotees' opinions?

Polynesian Dweller
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
You've summed up things well. There is one other thing to add to your thinking, I believe. Historically, September tends to be the height of the Tropical Storm/Hurricane season. Its one of the reasons that a promotion like Free Dining occurs then. The later into October, historically, the chance of hurricanes diminsh (though they can happen then as well).

Just something for thought. But that said, we've been in both months and far prefer the slightly cooler temperatures of mid-October.

Bri
06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I have never been in October but I have been in September twice. I would go for saving the money over possible cooler weather in October. When you think about it, yes September is very hot but it is not crowded at all. So the hotness isn't so bad cause you aren't waiting in line forever and squished in between people all the time. My vote is save your money and go in September.

Strmchsr
06-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I would suggest you go to Info Central here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp) and look at the weather for the last 4 years on the exact date you're considering. That'll give a better idea than me giving you generalizations. As noted, September is the height of tropical storm season, but October is still part of that, too.

As for your crowds, October really isn't lower crowds. In fact, I'd say higher crowds than September. Fall break has become popular so a lot of folks go in October. MNSSHP also makes a difference. Of course, "free" dining also bumps up crowds now in September. It's been going long enough that a lot of people plan on it. As for this year, though, you may be too late to get in on "free" dining. There's a limited number of rooms reserved for that promotion and it may be gone. You need to check with Magical Journeys to find out if it's even a possibility.

Sunshine1010
06-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been in September and October. Both hot. I think there was 2 degrees difference. Not much.

Jeff G
06-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I've been there during both. If you go anywhere from Sept 15 - Oct 15 the temperature difference is maybe mid to upper 80's during the day in October vs. upper 80's to low 90's in mid September. One thing we like about both is the sun sets early so the hot part of the day is much shorter.

I agree with avoiding the week before or after Columbus Day, it tends to be very busy.

As for crowds, from my experience even with the free dining September is less busy it's just got very packed restauraunts.

One thing to check out is dining availability. If you do go in September many of the better restaurants are booked solid. If you plan to dine out you may want to call and make ADR's prior to booking the trip.

If it were my decision I would choose to go in September and save the money.

busterthebronco
06-04-2008, 07:09 PM
if you go in early sept it will be as hot as any summer day. 95+
if you go in late oct it may be only in the 80's

Gibbs
06-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm born and raised in South Florida, and I can tell you that the temp difference is not that much. The humidity tends to be somewhat less in October, but only for a day or two at the most. Mid September is the peak of Hurricane season, so I would not book a vacation in September without taking the insurance. As for me and my family, we are taking our trip to the world in early September. The money saved with free dining far outweighs any slight weather differences between the two months. We are gambling with the hurricane season, but odds are that this should not be an issue ( as long as you don't factor in the 2004 hurricane season) We will count on going to the parks early in the morning and staying through lunch, going back to the resort for a dip in the pool and naps, waiting for the 3 to 6 pm afternoon rains to clear, and going back to the parks in the evening to enjoy the night time shows and extra majic hours.

Hope this helps and have a great time.