PDA

View Full Version : Mod or Value Resort for Wheelchair.

Hayden's Dad
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey we are planning a trip in January for Hayden's 3yr birthday. What Moderate or Value Resort would you recommend for a wheelchair. We have stayed at ASMov and POP. We like POP better but just wanted others opinions who use wheelchairs. Thanks

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Hmmm, well, what about Caribbean? Although it can be spread out and I think Coronado is even bigger.

I can't remember the layouts of POFQ and RS very much, but they might be better. Then again, I've never visited with anyone in a wheelchair.

kakn7294
06-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Caribbean Beach has the largest rooms of the Moderates but you must be sure to specify that you need first floor WC access as there are no elevators. POFQ is the best laid out - easy to get around and the smallest. I've never stayed at POP but I understand it's basically the same as the All Stars which I have stayed at. Personally, I'd pick POFQ just because of it's small size and great lay-out but they all have their good and bad points.

disneydeb
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about CBR not having elevators.

POFQ is smaller and the slide there is so cute!

I would vote for POFQ for moderate.

Hayden's Dad
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
How is the bus service at POFQ? We don't want to be at the last stop and they have already picked up two wheelchairs and we have to wait for the next bus.

MsMin
06-05-2008, 10:22 AM
IN 06 when we arrived a day early and stayed a night at the ASmovies it was really difficult. Because of space we didn't pack a w/c and had a scooter rental for our arrival at the BWV. We thought we would use the resort w/c and it was too small. My dad had the most trouble in the bathroom b/c it was just too tight and he couldn't move well in the small space and it was too little to have someone else come in and help. :(
With a little one it shouldn't be a problem regardless of where you stay b/c you will be able to pick him up. As mentioned the bottom floor is a must. What about other equipment? that would be my biggest concern with space.

kakn7294
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
How is the bus service at POFQ? We don't want to be at the last stop and they have already picked up two wheelchairs and we have to wait for the next bus.At MK, you will have a dedicated POFQ bus stop. All other parks share buses with POR. The buses between the two resorts share on the way to the parks. In our 2 stays at POFQ, most of the time the buses picked up at POFQ's single stop first then make their way over to the 4 stops at POR. We didn't seem to run into a lot of WC or ECV users at these resorts either.

Jasper
06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
We took my Mother-in-Law with us a few times after she became wheelchair bound and we stayed at all three of the All Stars during that time. In each case we did request and get a handicap room for the in-laws and a connecting room for us and never had any issues. No, the rooms are not terribly huge but she never had any problem with her regular chair or her scooter. Unfortunately she passed away before we tried any of the moderates. However, assuming that you go for a handicap room at whatever resort you choose I would think you should be OK.

Kairi_7378
06-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I think that POFQ has a pretty good layout for wheelchair access. It is very small. Although sometimes you have to share buses with POR, it is rare, even in value season to do so. Even if you do share, POFQ gets picked up first. I'm not sure what the wheelchair access is like if you want to take the boat to and from DTD. When we were there in October, each of the parks had separate buses for FQ and RS. One time we had just missed a FQ bus and took a POR bus instead, and the walk between the resorts was quite manageable.

POR has a nice layout too. I would request to be on the first floor in one of the AB room close to the main building (and first bus stop.)

Both of these resorts have a more "grown up" feel to them than the value resorts, so if Hayden likes a lot of visual stimulation the values might be better. But both resorts are lovely.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-07-2008, 07:50 PM
We stayed at POFQ on this last trip, with Mom on her scooter. We had a ground floor room, which was perfect, since we didn't have to go to the elevator, which are located in the middle of the buildings.

Since it is such a small resort, it is easy to get around, and we were always the first stop getting picked up between FQ and POR, so getting the scooter on the bus wasn't a problem.

Coming home, we were sometimes the first stop, but if the bus was full, the driver would go around POR first, and then drop us off. This was fine, but it made for a longer trip home :(