PDA

View Full Version : Summer Time

ShelbyAD
06-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Now that it Summer is here (well, weather wise - depending on where you live)

What do you like best about the Summer? also - What do you dislike about Summer?

I love the lighter traffic. I got to work this morning in 22 minutes - normally it takes me 30-40 minutes!!:joy:

I like cooking out on the weekend. We've been cooking outside almost every weekend since we moved. Our deck is right off the kitchen - the sun sets in the front of the house, so the backyard is kind of shaded. Plus with the patio table umbrella - it's been nice. The girls like it too.

I do not like the heat :fan: DH doesn't like to turn the A/C on. We need to keep our electric bill down. So he has the A/C set at 79-80 degrees.

I'm not really a summer person, I guess that's why I live in the South :funny:

ChipnDaleGal
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I hate snow more every year. So I am a fan of summer. My favorite parts are having flowers blooming and listening to the birds. I also love summer rains and mild thunderstorms. What I hate most about summer is when it ends and I know ugly old winter is coming back soon.

c&d
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I love packing up the car and heading to Crane's beach for the day. I love being able to eat dinner outside. I love our evening :wine: in my rocking chair on our porch.

I'm not really a fan of the humidity but I'll take that over 0 degrees anytime.

JanetMegan
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Well I'm here in the Deep South of Hot-lanta so the heat is probably what I don't like. I do also love cooking outside, it staying light later etc. Normally I would say cruising on my jet ski out on the lake but with very little water in the lake and gas prices so high-there won't be much of that this summer.

jrkcr
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I love having more sunny hours! :sun:

Grilling out, and eating ice cream!

And playing in any kind of water-
ocean, lake, pool, kiddie pool, slip-n-slide....
(i warn any adult: slip-n-slides HURT, and you will look like an idiot) :blush:

Catching lightning bugs with my kids. And I miss hearing those weird little cicada bugs that make noise at night at our home in SC. I don't like the bug, just the noise.

Here in Nevada-summer is my favorite season. No humidity!!
And swimming in Lake Tahoe! :thumbsup:

ShelbyAD
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
And I miss hearing those weird little cicada bugs that make noise at night at our home in SC. I don't like the bug, just the noise.
You should go back to SC in 3 years - they will be back.

When they came out the first time - I counted when they would be back - the same year my oldest step-daughter graduates from HS. I hope her graduation is inside. If not, I won't be attending. Sorry, but I can't sit outside with those bugs :eek:

Dragongirlx
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Living in Scotland were the seasons are winter, slightly less winter, summer, and preparing for winter I love the summer especially when we actually get some sunshine and heat.

The only thing I don't like is being woken up a 4am by the sunlight and birds. And we are talking very loud seagulls here

LauraleeH
06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm weird, I don't like spring or summer. I do like getting a tan so I will say that's good. But I was born and raised in Florida and everyone thinks I'm crazy because I am always too hot and I hate the humidity. I would love to live in a state that gets long, cold winters with plenty of snow. I'm definitely a Floridian by birth only...not by heart.

sagessa
06-05-2008, 02:32 AM
My favorite thing about summer is that it's the end of spring, so the pollen count goes down and my allergies aren't as bad. :sneeze:

Rachel R.

KineGirl
06-05-2008, 03:05 AM
I grill out year round rain, winter and summer but I enjoy getting to grill the fish our friends catch during the summer months - grouper, tuna, rockfish mmmm

I love how established the flower beds look by summer. I especially love my passion flower vines and gladiolas :flower:

I love taking a bottle of wine and a wine glass (or a nice micro brew) and going down to the sound and watching the sunset and the sailboats coming in while sitting in my favorite beach chair and my feet in the warm sound water.

I love the heat and the warm sun on me. The humidity I could do without.

I dont mind all the tourists but I HATE alot of the trash some (alot) of them leave behind on the same beaches they pay top dollar to stay on. And their dog poop for that matter.

I HATE the summer traffic on our 4 lane main road - the only main road and only way on and off the island.

merlinmagic4
06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
I love summer!

I love not having to shuffle my kids off to school.

I love having the windows open (the ocean breeze is our a/c).

I love that my DH doesn't have to leave the house at 4:30am and he gets some time off (fall and spring are brutal with 2 jobs).

I love camping on a little primitive island in one our bays.

I don't love the traffic but I'm happy that I live in such a beautiful place that people want to visit!

d_m_n_n
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Things I love about summer...

Having DSs home with me.

Tan lines from my flip-flops (the true sign it is summer)

Flowers blooming and leaves on the trees.

Catching lightning bugs and then watching them fly away again

Drive-in movies

WARM summer rains

No bedtime

No homework (I'm starting to sound like DSs!)

Pretty much EVERYTHING!!! :cloud9:

Tinkerfreak
06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
What I love about summer is:

Not having to dress up like the michelin man just to take the trash out.

Being able to swim in our pool for the 3 months it is actually warm enough.

Being able to use our grill and not having to run like crazy to get the food into the house before it is cold.

The flowers

The fresh vegetables that have not been trucked in from 1200 miles away and sold while not ripe yet.

I also love being able to sleep with the windows open.

Not having to worry about sinking away in a big pot hole while driving.

Not having to get the kids up early for school and not having to be so strict about bed time.

The best part about summer for us is knowing that in a few months we will be on our way to Disney!!!!!:party::cloud9::thumbsup:

MsMin
06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I hate the HEAT... and the high electric bills. My reached over 600 last summer :(
I hate running errands and the car is hot like 140 inside it and it just starts to cool down when you stop again.
It's supposed to be about 95 all week here and summer has a long way to go.

d_m_n_n
06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
The fresh vegetables that have not been trucked in from 1200 miles away and sold while not ripe yet.

OH Yeah!! Meals of hamburgers on the grill, Fresh Corn on the cob and Fresh Tomatoes...mmmmm-mmmmm

disneydeb
06-05-2008, 01:37 PM
There is nothing any better tasting than a home-grown summer tomato!
Bacon and tomato sandwiches! YUM!

DisneyCouture
06-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I like cooking out on the grill and having a :marg: out on the deck. I hate the HUMIDITY. That is what kills me in the summer.

daparish
06-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I hate the HEAT... and the high electric bills. My reached over 600 last summer :(
I hate running errands and the car is hot like 140 inside it and it just starts to cool down when you stop again.

Same here... the heat is horrible already. Not to mention, the summer brings hurricane season.:thedolls:

pandkx3
06-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I live in S. Mississippi.....you can probally guess what I don't like about summer..... the 100% humidity, the heat index of 105 degrees, and, yes, those tiny bloodsuckers, the mosquito. With that being said, I do love the laid back feeling that you get when you have 3 boys and there is no school. I, too, love to sit outside and grill and chill. I love going to the beach. I love having fresh fruit that you buy from the little old man down the road. Summer is my favorite time of year.:thumbsup:

PirateLover
06-09-2008, 03:12 AM
#1 thing I love about summer is going down the shore (AKA the beach)!!!! And I'll be there tomorrow!
Next would be backyard barbecues/summer parties

On any day when I'm NOT at the shore or taking advantage of someone else's pool, the #1 thing I hate is the heat. Right now we are in the middle of our first heatwave and it's absolutely dreadful. I can't remember it being this hot so early in the season before. Hopefully it's not a precursor of things to come. I also hate that the bugs are back in town, namely bees and mosquitoes outside and thousand leggers in the house. BLECH!

Marilyn Michetti
06-09-2008, 06:00 AM
One thing I love about summer is that the winter visitors have gone back to their summer homes, leaving the streets of Mesa a little safer. The bad part is the heat here in Az. Up to 120 at times, and the high electric bills.

Miss the lightning bugs from childhood.
Miss the snow.
Don't miss the misquitos.
Don't miss humidity.

Ahhhhhh.......to have the best of all !!!! Think Disney could figure that one out?:mickey:

tinkerbellybutton
06-09-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm not a beach person since it takes about 5 minutes for me to burn to a crisp even with spf 50 :( but I love going to Popham beach in the evening in the summer:thumbsup: I also love the heat ( the hotter the better)and sunshine of summer.

What I dislike about summer is traffic! There are a lot of people that LOVE Maine in the summer and they are all on the road, I guess they call it vacationland for a reason;)

princessjojo
06-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Here this week anyway, we could only pray for 95. It's been 100+ since Thurs/Fri. You can't even get relief from the pool because it already feels like tub water.

Anyway, I love the summer.

Cooking on the grill, sitting on the deck with your favorite passion beverage.
Watching the boys play outside all night without having to argue about bedtime/bathtime.
The ability to be spontanious about a trip.
Camping by the lake
Getting up early to go fishing with DH on the boat
Eating fresh veggies
The smell after the rain
The green grass of the golf course
Sleeping with the sliding doors open only to wake up to the sound of the waves of the ocean when we're at my dad's house at the beach.
Fresh lemonade with real lemons in it.

Tinkerfreak
06-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not a beach person since it takes about 5 minutes for me to burn to a crisp even with spf 50 :( but I love going to Popham beach in the evening in the summer:thumbsup: I also love the heat ( the hotter the better)and sunshine of summer.

What I dislike about summer is traffic! There are a lot of people that LOVE Maine in the summer and they are all on the road, I guess they call it vacationland for a reason;)

I know what you are talking about. DH builds lots of houses along the coast in Harpswell and he says it takes him twice as long to get to work. He never complains about all those "outastatas" because some of them are our customers:secret:.

He also hates to go to the beach with us because he works next to the ocean all day long so it is not a big deal to him.