PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Tokyo Disneyland!

Chrisx2
06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
OK, I had to share this with people who would understand how exciting this is!

I am going to Japan and Guam and my WONDERFUL husband said "Why don't you add a few days and go to Tokyo Disneyland?" I am so excited!!!:party: And, because he really is the best husband ever, he said "Because this might be your only trip there, you should stay at the MiraCosta Resort (the really nice deluxe resort near Tokyo DisneySea). I will be there for 4 days!

So, any of you who have been there, I'd love any advice!!!:mickey:

Melanie
06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
:clappy: :clappy: :clappy:

Awesome news, Chris. Nice hubby! :thumbsup:

And the MiraCosta isn't near DisneySea, it's IN DisneySea. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I'm sure you will love it!

Are you going to have 4 park days? That's definitely what I recommend. The first two days you won't be able to park hop, but the last two days you will.

Oh, and you'll be going during the 25th anniversary celebration. I can't think of a better time to go. :party2:

When exactly are you going?

2Epcot
06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I would be excited too Christina ... That's great! Hopefully I will get to visit one day. :mickey:

Chrisx2
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I will be there June 23-26. I arrive at the airport from Guam at 0700. I will be there until late afternoon on Thursday.

I will be getting a 4 day pass but I had read that you can't park hop the first two days. I'm not sure which to do first. Disney Sea opens later so I might go there after check-in.

My husband is wonderful. He said this is a combination birthday/post-deployment trip. My birthday is the 14th and we just finished a deployment to Afghanistan.

I did see that Space Mountain will be closed while I am there but everything else seems open.

KineGirl
06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Lucky you and what a great hubby! We want to go there soooo bad! Be sure to take lots of pics and write a trip report!

Konichiwa!

Melanie
06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I did see that Space Mountain will be closed while I am there but everything else seems open.

That's awesome! First time we went there were four major attractions closed. I guess going in the summer is beneficial. ;)

Prepare for crowds. Seriously, go into it with the realization that you will encounter big crowds and have to utilize fastpass to it's utmost potential. Knowing that will make it much easier. One of your days in Disneyland, get a Pooh fastpass very first thing. Oh my goodness, that ride is incredible! And you will be blown away with just how awesome DisneySea is.

I'm very excited for you!

PirateLover
06-03-2008, 11:47 PM
How exciting!!!!! Please take lots of pictures and give us full reports! I loved reading all of Mel's reports. I would really like to go there someday. What a wonderful hubby you have there!:thumbsup:

vizsla
06-04-2008, 05:25 AM
Have a great time. :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
06-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Have a great times.

RedSoxFan
06-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Have a wonderful time.:mickey:

KineGirl
06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
I just thought of some things we did in Japan pre TDL (:()

Be prepared to be amazed in Japan at everything

1. Take time to wander through DT Tokyo. Notice how you can buy literally anything out of a vending machine (beer, underwear (??), magazines) Def stop into the largest Sanrio (Hello Kitty) store! Not to mention every other store you can think of and many you never have!

2.Mt Fuji is a must and if possible eat at one of the several renowned restaurants around the 5 lakes. The views are stunning and if youre brave, try fugu (pufferfish) - the chefs have to have a special certification to even prepare it. Sooo delicious!

3. The geisha show at Miyako Odori. Its by far the best one. These women are incredible! But there are several other great ones if you cant get to this one.

4. Go to a karaoke bar and sing 50s tunes - they love it, you'll love it, fun for everyone!

5. Remember - NO TIPPING in restaurants. Its offensive to them as they think it means its a donation for their chef to go back to cooking school. It sounds too good to be true but their hospitality as a culture is so incredible sometimes you find you have to force yourself not to tip! Thats another thing - the Japanese ppl are some of the friendliest and kindest ppl I have ever been fortunate to meet. Even in the big cities - politeness is highly revered.

6. Visit Asakusa and see the Senso-ji Temple and other traditional Japanese bldgs. Theres also lots of shopping and places to eat.

7. Buy porcelain (or if your like us - everything!) at one of the "flea markets". For that matter check out the big stores that carry anything technology related - theyre easily 5-10 years ahead of us. The opposite happens in Japan that happens here - when something new comes out its very cheap. Its not until everyone "has to have" it that the prices go up.

8. You must go to one of the arcades (HUGE is an understatement) ... you think Wii is neat? please! They take the world of gaming to a whole new other level. Even if you never play games you cant help but be amazed.

9. Pachinko! Practically the national game of Japan. Gambling is illegal in Japan but you win things by taking your ticket to a window around the corner where you can turn it in for cash and/or prizes. Its the legal loop hole. Forewarning - the Pachinko places are usually smoky.

10. Eat in a modern sushi house where the food comes around on a rotating conveyer belt. They usually charge a flat fee by the (little) plate - so unlike a buffet you keep them stacked on your table

11. If only once and just to experience it - ride the subway ;)

Have fun!! I wish I could help w/ TDL & DisneySea! ..I will just have to live vicariously through your report

jkj1224
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
you're going to love it...there is no way to prepare for how cool DisneySea is. Make sure you don't miss the parade is larger than life.

Melanie
06-05-2008, 12:02 AM
you're going to love it...there is no way to prepare for how cool DisneySea is. Make sure you don't miss the parade is larger than life.

I assume you are talking about The Legends of Mythica, which is presented daily in Mediterranean Harbor? Absolutely DO NOT miss it! Amazing!

Chrisx2
06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Quick question- What is the easiest/quickest way to get there from Narita Airport? Shuttle bus or train?

Mufasa
06-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Easiest way to reach the resort directly from Narita is to take what they call an airport limousine bus (I think it is 2,400 yen one-way for adults, half price for children).

Busses typically depart from Narita at 8:05, 9:05, 10:05 and 11:05 AM, and 2:05, 3:05 and 5:05 pm. The trip to the resort takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes depending on traffic and stops directly at all resort hotels.

No advanced reservations taken for the limousine bus though and is cash (well Yen) only.

If you were headed into downtown Tokyo from Narita, then I recommend using the Suica/N'EX (Narita Express) combo package.

That's 3,500 yen, but you get a one-way ticket on the Narita Express train into Tokyo at about half-off (about 1,500 yen, as opposed to the regular price of 2,940 yen) as well as a rechargeable 2,000 yen credit on a Suica card. Takes roughly an hour to get into Tokyo Station on the Narita Express, but trains run at least once an hour (every half hour during peak times).

However, factor in having to transfer at Tokyo Station with luggage which can be difficult at rush hour.

Suica is a card you can use on most subways, trains and busses in and around Tokyo as well as some vending machines and merchants with a Suica logo for payment- when you pass through the turnstyles at a station it automatically deducts the appropriate fare from the card (unfortunately, you can't yet use it to pay for the Tokyo Disney Resort monorail line yet, but there are plans to integrate the system).

If you pick a Japan Rail Pass ahead of time for travel all around Japan, then you could take the Narita Express into Tokyo Station and then transfer to the JR Keiyo Line in which case that trip would be free on a rail pass (otherwise that same trip costs close to 2,600 yen I think) but takes probably at least 90 minutes to go that way.

The trip from Tokyo station to Maihama on the JR Keiyo line I believe is 210 yen, and takes about 15 minutes if you catch an express train.

Mufasa
06-07-2008, 12:19 AM
A quick travel tip on ATM cards in Japan- most Japanese ATM machines will not accept ATM cards from outside of Japan.

The exceptions typically are Citibank ATM machines (there's one in Narita airport) and 7-11 convenience stores in Japan also accept foreign ATM cards (Visa/PLUS, MasterCard/Cirrus and American Express) as well as some luck with post office ATM machines through Yucho (Japan's postal savings bank). They all have english menus.

However, sometimes you can run into problems with credit union issued ATM cards in these machines.

At the resort itself- there are ATM machines at the parks as well as in Ikspiari (in the parks they're Sumitomo Mitsui banking ATM machines) and a post office ATM in Ikspiari but they don't usually accept foreign ATM cards and the other thing about ATM machines in Japan is a lot don't offer 24 hour access (sometimes the operating hours are quite limited).

At the MiraCosta off to the side of the lobby there is a JCB bank cash dispenser machine which you can use to pull cash from foreign ATM cards also (but there can be some additional transaction fees through this method but I've usually had no problems if I've needed to grab cash at the resort here)- however, these JCB ATMs only allow for a minimum withdrawal of 10,000 Yen, and in 10,000 yen increments I believe so keep that in mind also, whereas the citibank ATMs will dispense amounts as low as 1,000 Yen.

There may be some additional JCB machines- one to the left of the main TDL entrance and another in the ambassador hotel.

At the resort you can use major credit cards (wasn't always the case)- pretty much for everything except at outdoor vending locations and to pay for stamps.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Can I stow away in your luggage? Please? I won't mind the 18+ hours cramped in a small space so that I can go visit my country of love!

I'd also never come back. Ever.

pdrlkr
06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
:congrats:

Chrisx2
06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Tokyo Disneyland was AMAZING! I had such a wonderful time. I will try and get a trip report going but not today. Jet lag is killing me right now. I want to go to sleep ...:sleepin:

It was a wonderful trip though. THe Country Bear Jamboree in Japanese was really funny. More to come and pics too. (3 and a half days and I took over 400 pictures...:blush:)