PDA

View Full Version : coral reef resturant

mouselover93
06-03-2008, 05:33 PM
my sister wants to take my nephew ( who will be 4 at the time ) to the coral reef for his birthday in decmber. i was just wondering is it any good and what else do they have besides fish?

AllDisney
06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
We have eaten there at almost all of our trips to WDW. We have enjoyed this restaurant and have had nothing but good experiences at Coral Reef.

Can't tell you anything about non-fish items, but the fish there is great!

Hope this helps you somewhat with your inquiry;)

Jeri Lynn
06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
If you click above on the Info Central tab and then scroll down to Dining and then Menu's you can look up the Menu for the Coral Reef.

I have been there twice and liked it but never paid attention to the kids menu.

Good Luck!

SBETigg
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm a vote for the bad because we had our most horrendous dining experience ever at Coral Reef. Because of that, naturally, we've only been there once, and it was years ago now. So, can I really say it's bad? No. I can tell you that I didn't enjoy it and we won't return.

But honestly, it could have been a bad night. The menu is different. The staff is no doubt different as well as the chef. I wouldn't recommend you pass it up over a few bad reviews. We heard bad reviews and we tried it anyway, and I'm glad we did even though I'm sorry it tainted the place for us. So many people love it there. Give it a shot. The atmosphere is wonderful.

Polynesian Dweller
06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Its good, not great but good. It will be a great experience for the 4 year old who will undooubtedly really enjoy the fish and looking for the shark to go by the window.

They do have other options like chicken and steak so not stuck to seafood.

GrmGrninGost
06-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I think it's GREAT! I love the food and the atmosphere! We heard some bad things about it and didn't try it for several trips. We decided to give it a go two years ago. Our last few trips, we have had the best meal of the entire vacation here! I can't give a higher recommendation, GO! :mickey: As far as food other than seafood, the steak is great!

cal5755
06-04-2008, 12:29 AM
My mom and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the meal at the Coral Reef. Our server was excellent, the food was great. Mom had steak and it was delicious so it is good even for non seafood items. We are making a return trip with the whole family in September! I think your 4 year old nephew will love the tanks with all the fish...

Tink&Goofy
06-04-2008, 01:26 AM
We have eaten there twice, and have had excellent meals both times! I have always ordered the fish, however DH and kids order the New York strip steak, and it is fantastic! Some of the best steak I have had!
This is now on our "must do" list.

goofy-4-disney
06-04-2008, 01:54 AM
I've eaten there twice. Both times the food and the service were great. The second time we were seated right next to the aquarium which makes the experience even better in my opinion. However, there is no bad view in the entire restaurant. I think you should give it a try.

Natazu
06-04-2008, 03:16 AM
:thumbsup:
Coral Reef has had its ups and downs. Currently, it has a lot of upward mobility. There have been some staffing changes which has facilitated the service and food quality become more consistent. They have excellent lobster soup and the best dessert at Epcot, no doubt. I love the grilled mahi and the pumpkin risotto. I haven't had the NY Strip but I can tell you it comes from the same butcher as California Grill and Yachtsman so that's a good start.

Disnamic Duo
06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
My wife and I really like this place - for the atmosphere of course, but also for the excellent food we've gotten. And yes, the Chocolate Wave dessert is FANTASTIC!

The fish I've had was very good, but I've also had a pork chop that was delicious. My wife has had the NY Strip and also liked it.

Maleficent's Dad
06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I've read lots of mixed reviews here as well. We've eaten there about a half dozen times and never had a bad experience. The fish has always been very good and as Jym stated, the desserts are excellent.

Tables next to the aquarium are a BIG plus IMO. The atmosphere is lovely.

Rich Mc
06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
DW and I have been there several time and the experience has been varied.
Our first few times back in the 98-00 years it was great . The place to go. But the last few times the service and food were less then what we expected. In fact we aren't even thinking of going to there on next trip in Sept 2008.
If someone can convince us to try again we will go. :cloud9:

avantgardeinker
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
You'll get a lot of mixed reviews on Coral Reef. We had a very pleasant experience there. The food was good and the service was as well. The lobster bisque is to die for!!!

:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-04-2008, 12:10 PM
We went to Coral Reef for the first time on our May trip, and we all enjoyed it.

The kids menu is pretty regular, they do have a fish choice, but there are the regular non-fish choices as well.

The atmopshere is cool, we even saw Mickey diving in the tank. DD and my Mom love fish, and they both loved their meals. I hate fish, and had probably the best pork chop of my life that Coral Reef, so there really is something for everyone.

sndral
06-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I volunteer at an aquarium and I think your 4 yr. old nephew will love it, especially if you can get one of the tables next to the aquarium.
I'm one who simply can't eat fish while they're swimming around next to me, I don't recall what I've had the three times I've been, but it would not have been fish.
My son always gets dessert there and I do recall that it is always beautifully presented - very special.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Last year my husband got the NY strip steak, I had a bite, and could have eaten the rest if he would have let me. I had the catfish, and that was wonderful too!