PDA

View Full Version : American Express Cards

BrerGnat
06-03-2008, 02:35 PM
For those of you (non business owners) who have AMEX cards, which one do you have?

We want an AMEX so we can use it at Costco, but also for the "perks" associated with them.

In looking at the cards, there are several available. So, I'm wondering, which one do YOU have, and does it work well for you?

Also, our bank (USAA) offers an AMEX through them but they only have the cash back one, and the rewards are pretty meager, and they only post to your account every January. Are all AMEX cards like this? I am leaning more towards one that offers more flexible rewards (i.e. travel rewards, merchandise rewards, etc).

Thanks for any feedback.

Ian
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I hate American Express. They were the single worst company I ever dealt with in my life.

I cancelled my card a long time ago and would never do business with them again.

tennantsrwe
06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
We have 2 AMEX cards with Bank of America...they both offered great rates and had 0% for the first 12 billing cycles. The rewards aren't over the top but the intro and standard rates were great.

2Epcot
06-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I love AMEX and use my card 95% of the time. I enjoy paying off my balances every month, and I enjoy that my Gold card makes me do that. When we need to, we will use our Visa cards, but AMEX is both me and my wife's main card. I bought my GPS from my reward points.

I was just talking to my wife about switching to the Costco AMEX card for the benefits it has. I have a couple of cowokers who like that card as well. We are buying a house so we won't be making any changes till after that is done.

AMEX has been very good when I've needed to go after a merchant. I've never had problem getting money back with AMEX, and many merchants are afraid of them for that, so it has been great for me. I had a restaruant charge me twice for the same meal ... the second charge was the next day. When I told them I was letting AMEX take care of it, they changed their mood quickly.

merlinmagic4
06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I've had a plain old Amex gold card for years (14 total) but just got a JetBlue amex. I got 50 points for signing up and already had 16. So, I only need 34 more points for a free flight. I'm using it for all my groceries/gas and will pay it off each month.

Melanie
06-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I married into an Amex card. It's now our main card, and it's worked well for us all these years. It certainly holds us accountable.

We looked into the USAA one, and decided we'd stick with the good old regular version.

Dsnygirl
06-03-2008, 10:04 PM
We got the JetBlue AMEX last fall, and we're almost to the point of having a free flight! :plane: so far, so good! :)

BrerGnat
06-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, we plan to use it as much as possible, as a "main card", to charge EVERYTHING and then pay it off every 2 weeks (paychecks). We do that now with a Upromise MC, but the Upromise has an annual cap on how much you can earn ($300) and we actually reach that about halfway through the year.

I HATE having money in our checking account (weird, I know). I have been doing our finances for years now and I really enjoy NOT having to balance a checking account. It usually has less than $100 in it, and that is primarily for our Costco trips every 2 weeks. With the price of gas going up, up, and away, I'd like to be able to fill up at the Costco station and pay with a CREDIT card, since these days, I never know how much cash I need to keep on hand JUST for gas...

Fryguy
06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
We have the Gold American Express card and love it! I use it all the time when I have to travel and rack up the reward points for free stuff.

The other thing that I like about the Gold is the advantage to purchase event tickets before they go on sale to the general public. WE have had the chance to purchase Toby Keith concert tickets, Bon Jovi concert tickets, Cirque Du Soleil tickets before they go on sale.

Comes in handy - and they will stand up for you to a merchant.

Tigerinvestigator
06-03-2008, 11:40 PM
STARWOOD!!! They will give you 10000pts just for your first purchase. That is equal to a free night at the Swan/Dolphin. We have earned enough Starwood pts for two free nights!

azdisneymom
06-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Doesn't Costco offer an American Express Card? If I remember the AE card is free, as in no annual fee and you get cash back. You still pay your regular Costco membership fee but that is all.

Ian
06-04-2008, 07:01 AM
One thing to consider ... Amex cards have an annual fee. For the gold card it's like $350 a year ... so basically the first $350 worth of rewards you earn go right back in Amex's pocket.

merlinmagic4
06-04-2008, 07:14 AM
One thing to consider ... Amex cards have an annual fee. For the gold card it's like $350 a year ... so basically the first $350 worth of rewards you earn go right back in Amex's pocket.

My gold card was only 75.00 - must be a different type. I would never pay 350.00. That's another reason why I switched to JetBlue Amex - the fee is only 40.00.

One year I called to cancel the card and they waived the annual fee for me to keep it open.

Ian
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
My gold card was only 75.00 - must be a different type. I would never pay 350.00. That's another reason why I switched to JetBlue Amex - the fee is only 40.00.

One year I called to cancel the card and they waived the annual fee for me to keep it open.Huh ... that's kinda weird, because I thought I had edited my last post to say that I wasn't sure what the fees were like now and how some of the branded cards work.

Must not have saved my changes for some reason. :confused:

Anyway, $75 is a lot more palatable than $350!!

Fryguy
06-04-2008, 04:27 PM
The Platinum card from Amex is like $350 or $400 and would be worth the price just for the perks if you travel a lot (like business travel a lot). You automatically get access to the Airline lounges when you book and pay with the Platinum card.

Just the yearly cost to one airlines lounge is that price = and with plat you get almost all of them!

BrerGnat
06-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I would never pay a fee that high. The cards I am looking into actually have NO annual fee...so that's what I'm sticking to.

My dad once told me "never get a credit card that has an annual fee". And he's right.

mrsgaribaldi
06-04-2008, 11:52 PM
We got the JetBlue AMEX last fall, and we're almost to the point of having a free flight! :plane: so far, so good! :)

That's what we have. It keeps your points from expiring. We have 2 free flights, round trip so 4 really, each already:thumbsup:

Here we go again...
06-05-2008, 04:58 AM

I have a Hilton Honors Platnum American Express... NO annual fee!
You earn points that can be used at and Hilton property with no black outs. When I went to DW with MsMin and Mrs. Sgt Tigger we stayed at the DTD Hilton and Double Tree Guest Suites. We got the rooms by calling on the way there!

You can also earn points toward just about anything. Flights were taken off this year, but you can get Disney park tickets!!!!

The amount of points needed to redeem an item looks high, but you get 10,000 points for opening the account and 3-5 points for every dollar you spend.

I have even stayed at the Double Tree suites in Times Square with my Hilton Points. I love this card!!:thumbsup: